Completed Alphabetical Order (Ricky)

Jad finds "Family" listed under "M"

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Alphabetical Order (Ricky)

Postby Jadlin Hayes on August 9th, 2014, 8:26 am

Jadlin Hayes

87th day of Summer, 514

Summer colds were the worst. They resisted every traditional treatment. Jad had moped about for the last couple days. He was unsure how much help he could give anyone while he felt like this. His run-in with Yukmen had left him wondering if he'd picked up some djed-empowered infection. The freaks were essentially made from the ground itself. Who knew what filth they might contaminate a wound with?

With that in mind, Jad had already bathed with Myrian salts and consumed one of his vials of Belltor Tincture. That was supposed to be a general remedy for all manner of illness. But if he had improved, it had not been by much. Even now, he was chewing a nub of dried Elentai Root. He'd avoided Black the last couple of days as well, worried he'd infect her with whatever malady was afflicting him.

In the back of his mind was the concern that he'd over-given during the struggle. He remembered that his one friend, back in the cult where he'd been raised in a mind-controlled haze of semi-voluntary servitude, had warned him that Leeching was an unhealthy discipline, prone to weakening the body's resistance to sickness. At the time, with the indoctrinated convictions to the contrary imposed upon him by his masters, He'd dismissed this concern as unfounded. Now he was not so sure.

He'd gone to the University the day before and found a negative stigma applied to the discipline at a fundamental level. The professor from the College of Djed had been quite short with him when he'd mentioned Leeching, citing it as a "forbidden" practice and leveling a very accusing glare at him. After his ordeal of being wrongly accused and interrogated as a suspected accomplice to the 'Mage Silencer', Jad had endured just about enough judgmental looks from those who did know him at all.

Sarcasm dripped venomously from his response,
"Ahhh yes...It must be rewarding to bask in the self-glorifying righteousness of teaching only those disciplines that are INCAPABLE of being misused! There's surely NO record of ANY power hungry practitioners of such HARMLESS crafts as Reimancy and Morphing, right?...Oh no, indeed...NEVER was a soul harmed by either of THOSE practices, eh?"

He feigned shocked realization in the face of the stewing professor, "But Wait! You DO allow Shielding AND Projection? How can this BE? How can two disciplines, practiced by such a fiend as myself, POSSIBLY be decent when they are indulged in by one so clearly corrupt as to have LET himself be INVOLUNTARILY subjected to the ritual when he was A NEW...BORN...PETCHING...BABY? SURELY AN INFANT COULD STOP TWO GROWN WIZARDS FROM HAVING THEIR WAY WITH HIM! TWO GROWN WIZARDS WHO, I might add, practiced the HONORABLE disciplines of REIMANCY AND MORPHING AS WELL!"

His face was no more than an inch from the professor's by the time he'd finished his rant, primarily because the scholar had backed away, blanching in the face of Jad's furious outburst. Jad took several heavy breaths, regaining control of his anger. "Look...I do not LIKE leeching, sir, but I am STUCK with it, and I'd like to find some remedy for the sickness it afflicts me with. Now if you will not help me, perhaps you could direct me to a KINDLY soul who will!"

He was grudgingly directed to the Library, ignoring the whispered speculations of witnesses to his rebuttal. 'Let them talk...' he sneered inwardly, 'The Wave Guard has already checked me out.'

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on September 14th, 2014, 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jadlin Hayes - No Hurries, No Worries...
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Words: 187030
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2014, 6:15 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ricky Maze on August 10th, 2014, 5:51 am

"Ye're shittin' me..." A somewhat loud voice would state before a shush would follow, as a rather large man in a brown shirt, beige shorts, and a brown halfway stuffed travel bag on his right shoulder would shrug, along with an apology given to the receptionist who seemed troubled with some sort of request.

"I'm sorry Mr. Maze but we're not allowed to show you these records, even if it were on Wave Guard business." The scholarly man gave a disappointed look as though his hands were tied, the fisherman sighed in defeat as he shook his head thereafter.

"No no, its al'roi. Got any good books fer kids?"

"I'm sure we've a couple of things, however you'll have to browse around... as our library is never quite as organized as it should be." The man bashfully admitted as he pointed his nose to a book on his desk, along with a finger pointed to push his glasses further up afterwards. Ricky only looked deeper within the library and shrugged as he figured it be a good idea to search anyway, if he could find a few other interesting books for things like combat training or... something he could use later on; it was certainly a bonus to consider while he would search for possible stories to tell Martin.

The fisherman paid no mind anybody else right then, he'd gotten what he could and even if it wasn't what he needed, he still had motive to be here in the library. That was enough, and so when he turned to go further in he looked at the small child in his right arm. Young Martin was wrapped in the blue blanket he always had and was only with the white tunic today, as Ricky's visit here was rather quick and sudden to follow. "Lemme see if we can't find yew some good stories t' hear son." Ricky murmured to the child as they went on into the library, Ricky would begin filing through the musty old tomes with hopes that he would come upon something interesting.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jadlin Hayes on August 10th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Jadlin Hayes

Jad was not proud of himself for losing his temper that way, though it had certainly made him forget his mild sickness for the duration. It was not that he felt feverish and achy, or stuffed-up and sniffling. It was more the sense that he was just "coming down" with something. But his last few days at work had been very relaxed, and he'd not felt that rest was the issue. Already he was feeling better after his outburst, the rush of angry blood seeming to have flushed the bug from his system. But as long as he was already on his way to the library, he decided he may as well go through with it.

He arrived at the arched doors, which were just closing. He hurried to catch them, in case they would lock when they shut. Even as he caught the door only slightly ajar, he felt a spike of embarrassment for feeling as if doors to a learning facility like a library would lock automatically on closing. He shook his head at himself and resolved to quit being so overly sensitive. He understood fully why Leeching was frowned upon. After all, he had said himself that he didn't like it. But it HAD saved his life more than once. He smirked at the irony that something that saved his life also made him feel sick.

There was an odd, but artistic, superimposition of arches as the arched doorway segued visually into the arched, vaulted ceiling. The arrays of shelved volumes went on much further and wider than Jad had anticipated, embellished by artworks and statuary at the ends of each row. And this was all duplicated on a second tire overhead. He wondered absently if the number of candles and oil lamps required to light this hall properly was sufficient to keep a crafter permanently employed with this account alone.

As is so often the case with vast collections of a sort. The new visitor foolishly opts to begin his virgin search unaided by one that knows the layout. Jad must have spent a good bell searching around, thinking he was going to come across a title like "How to Offset the Sickness Brought on by the Use of Leeching", only to find shelves of works highly unlikely to contain such information. He began to get frustrated with books on wood working and fertilizers, cooking and critiques of various scribing inks, long before that first Bell was up. The rest being consumed by his random encounter with a shelf of historical works on the development of the various classes of vessels found in the Zeltivan Navy.

Though this was not what he'd come for, he found himself on a bench, coursing through these, recalling some of his adventures and misadventures on the long voyage along the length of the Suvan and across the top of the Sebakem Ocean. He was resigned to accepting the author's view that 'The Mizaharian' was the grandest craft being built today. But he was naturally biased toward the workmanlike 'Pinnace', the class he had sailed on. To him, there was a reason it was the most numerous class of major vessel on the sea.

He was far MORE enrapt to find an account of Bethany Edgtower, the namesake of his ship, "Bethany's Badge". He began perusing her story, finding a steadily building respect for the linguist who'd died on Miss Kenabelle Wright's famous journey. He'd not known much about miss Edgetower, beyond the fact that, out of respect for her and her courage in the face of a slow torturous death, due to an arrow wound to the stomach, the Captain of "Bethany's Badge" allowed no Myrians aboard, neither passengers nor crew.

He kept being distracted from his full attention though; something he found increasingly annoying. First, there was the pull of his own initial intent to look into remedies for Leeching sickness. And the second was the murmuring of a baby nearby. It was not so much that the infant was exploding into wailing...yet. But it was exactly that anticipation of it that vexed him. He kept finding himself cringing, only to hear the babe murmur back into cooing. The low voice of the man with the child was easily ignored. He would surely not be the source of the inevitable outburst of noise.

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on August 17th, 2014, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ricky Maze on August 16th, 2014, 3:05 am

Although his intention was to find a few good books to read and tell Martin later on, Ricky actually had an ulterior motives that involved him trying to access the records of the University. What records one would ask? He wasn't sure to be honest, but the fisherman felt sure he could find some sort of old registry or form that would entail a list of those who lived in Zeltiva. Why exactly he needed this list was a bit personal really, one that he didn't want to openly share with the world. Pa never told me anyt'in 'bout our family, but Oi'll figure out just what he hid. He thought in silence as he walked along the aisle of bookshelves, his free hand already brought up to point at the spines of books as he filed through them.

"Let's see," He whispered as he continued skimming through titles to find something that could be child friendly, "What d' ya t'ink Martin? In de mood fer any sort o' book?" The child had watched Ricky's left finger the whole time until he was addressed, a smile adorned on his face as the child mimicked the movement and pressed his finger in Ricky's right cheek. The father chuckled and pretended to bite on the finger, using his lips instead of his teeth to gently play with the boy. When the child seemed to laugh aloud Ricky purposefully gave a look of awe and excitement to the boy, and brought his own finger up to his lips and made a low "Shh," to Martin. The boy tried to do the same, unsure how to make the noise so he only brought a small finger up to his lips. It brought another chuckle out of Ricky, as he looked at the case once more to sort out and filter any good books he may find.

Lost in de Aperture, Avanthal: A City on Ice, The Wildland: A Bestiary, Laviku's Trident... HIs left index finger hovered over the spine of that teal colored book, an eyebrow raised as he showed bitter amusement in coming across that book again. T'ey still 'ave dis book... why de petch would dey 'ave it? He thought to himself with a mix of disgust and curiosity, a glance over to his son before he would pull it from the shelf. He reread the summary on the back as he did the year before and this time, he found more amusement in it rather than bashfully putting it back on the shelf. Laviku's Trident. A would be very errotic romance novel that some old sod had to publish, because he clearly had way to much time fantasizing about their patron God and his beloved. It was tempting to actually see about reading this sometime, given that his need for modesty had adjusted over the year. Funny how it had only been a year ago, and he could somehow get past all the odd and awkward sensibility he found in sexual related things.

Oi wonder 'ow Castor's doin lately... 'aven't seen 'im in a long time. He reflected more upon the memory as he shelved the book back, he figured that the scholar might've gone on a journey somewhere since then. That had to be the only logical reason why he hadn't been seen in Zeltiva for a while, seeing as how people tended to come and go so quickly in a person's lifetime. He looked further along the shelf and discovered a title that seemed to catch his eye then, a book that had a worn faded blue to it as the cover seemed to have patches of tear on it. The title looked to have faded a long time ago by the looks of it, an faint imprint of words left where they once resided like a memory long preserved in stone. Ricky eased the book out and laid it flat on the shelf, his free hand quick to turn the cover over so that he may discover the first page within. Skimming over the paragraphs in the first few pages, he could already read into the story that was written within. A sailor who left home to see the world, the love of his life behind him as well. It was definitely promising enough to take along, thus he did so with a smirk to his son in the process.

"How 'bout dat son? We've got yew a book t' read." He planted a quick kiss on the side of Martin's head as the boy looked at the book, the two already down towards the reading section to start their little story session. Of course that led Ricky to wonder about his father in the process, and made the fisherman want to look elsewhere to dig up whatever he could find. "Okay son, 'ere'll be a good spot." He murmured to the child as they took a seat at a table tucked farthest from most of those who came to read, he placed the book on the table first before he slid the bag off his shoulder to place it on there as well. It was after that he took a seat in the chair and sat Martin in his lap, with the book reopened to the first page as he made sure both he and his child were cozy. It felt good to finally give his right arm a rest, even though Martin hadn't too much weight on him it still wore the limb out after holding the child for such a long period. "Roi, let's see what dis story 'as t' offer." He encouraged as he leaned a little closer to the book, it'd be just a couple of ticks later he would start to quietly read the story aloud so his son would hear.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jadlin Hayes on August 17th, 2014, 2:59 am

Jadlin Hayes

Jad put away the maritime history volume and renewed his search for something related to Leeching sickness and its remedies. He'd never actually been to a library before and had no idea how a person found what they were looking for. He began to get overwhelmed with a feeling of being lost.

It was not until he completed a few wide-eyed circles with a hopeless expression that a young man approached him. He looked like a student, judging from the trio of books he held. "Excuse me, but you look like you could use some help finding something." The kid had an easy smile.

"You're right about that. I'm trying to find something about Leeching, so-..." before Jad could explain why, the fellow took a step back, the smile becoming a grimace.

"Gods!...Why? That's a disgusting kind of magic. They don't even allow it to be taught here." The kid suddenly realized that he may very well be criticizing Jad, and offered a quick back-pedal. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound insulting, but it's well established that it makes you sick to practice it. I just don't see why someone would want to know about it."

Jad gave him a level, blank expression, "...Maybe because they had it done TO them when they were too young to realize what it entailed, and now they find themselves feeling sick like you say, and want to find some relief. And for that matter, maybe if it was taught, people would know that it doesn't make a guy a villain to know how to do it. I mean just because it was taught doesn't mean anyone would HAVE to learn it!"

Jad's voice grew a little angry as he spoke, but recognizing the innate quiet of the facility, he kept it under control. The other young man stepped back another step, nodding to acknowledge the admonishment. "Yeah, yeah, okay, I'm sorry. But with the Mage Silencer around, there's a particular apprehension about such skills. I'm sorry if it's caused you trouble. And I'm sorry if you don't feel well from it. But...uhhh...don't you have to USE it to get that sickness."

There was just a hint of an accusation in the question. Jad managed to take the tack of enlightenment, rather than recrimination. "Actually, no. I suppose it might make me a little more susceptible right afterwards. But mostly I just find myself getting sick more often than I think I should. It's nothing that serious, just colds that hang on stubbornly, or foods that suddenly don't sit well after eating, when they've never bothered me before. Headaches now and then. But look, I don't use it unless I'm attacked. I'm not some nutcase, looking to leech people for some kind of thrill. It isn't a pleasant experience for me either."

The other young man actually looked somewhat sympathetic now. "Huh...That's a shame. Look, I'm sorry, I never thought of it as being something that you might HAVE to use without wanting to. I always figured it was something for power hungry nuts. But I guess ANY kind of magic can make a crazy guy more dangerous." Jad just nodded, and looked as though he was expecting to have to renew his aimless wandering around the huge building.

The student finally offered something helpful, "Oh, well, hey, the books on magic are all upstairs. Are you registered as a student?" Jad shook his head. "Oh...hmmm...Uh..well, I'm afraid you're not going to be allowed up there unless you are." Jad sagged slightly and looked away in exasperation. "Hey, I'll tell you what. You watch these books and I'll go bring you down one of the books on Leeching. But I don't have time to go through it to make sure it's got what you want."

Jad perked up, expressing quiet thanks with a sudden broad smile, and the student went back up to the second level, returning a few chimes later with a volume called 'Imbalance By Design: an expose on the discipline of Leeching' Jad snorted with some annoyance. even the title suggested a prejudice against.

The student looked around and said, "They will not want to see this book down here, so you might want to keep another on hand to put over the top of it if the librarian comes by. She's a tough old bird. Good luck." Jad returned the sentiment as the young man picked up his books and left for a study station in a different area.

He opened the book and started to look through it for a chapter on reversing the debilitating effects.

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on August 18th, 2014, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ricky Maze on August 18th, 2014, 4:26 am

"See de sailor didn't wanna leave 'is love, but how else was he suppose t' prover 'er fat'er a worthy suitor? If they were meant t' be then he believed-" His reading was cut off by an interesting subject he couldn't help but overhear, as a what appeared to be two scholarly types chatting about a magical discipline he didn't particularly like. Leeching. He had nothing against it sure other than the fact he knew what it felt like to be drained of Djed, and given the fact he almost lost a squad member to an older man who used Leeching it definitely wasn't a Personal Magic he approved of. But by the sound of it the fellow that seemed to be the "leecher", or so Ricky referred them as, didn't really have a choice in whether or not he received such a power.

Poor bastard was probably attacked o' somet'in, forced int' it against 'is will. The fisherman assumed as he glanced up from the book to get a look at the guy, a pale thin figure with darker hair color by the looks of it. The other guy that he spoke with seemed just as sympathic as Ricky felt, seeing as how he suddenly decided to go and retrieve a book that might actually help the man out with his problem. When that moment occurred Ricky's eyebrows rose as his jaw dropped in awe, a wonder as to how and why he couldn't have had that same kind of help just moments ago. "Wish Oi'd me a sod t' do dat, doesn't really 'elp we can't look fer records on our family name." He murmured as his gaze returned to the book once more, he had to admit he was a little irritated that somebody could do that and get away with it.

But then again that was probably his work code just kicking in, given the fact he served as part of the Wave Guard. Of course they had no jurisdiction here in the University whatsoever... so why give a damn to something you really have no right to care about right? "Eh!" Martin cooed with a curious look up to his father, when Ricky looked down at the child he smiled once more before he talked to the child.

"Ye tryin' t' speak t' me son? Tryin' t' get yer pa t' read on eh?" He looked to the book once more as he thought on the story and how it sounded in the beginning. "Y' know dis could actually be a chronicle o' de Black Lady 'erself, if dat's so den ye'll git t' learn 'bout 'er story at an early age." He knew he must've sounded silly talking to a child that practically couldn't speak much less walk, but he definitely felt that everything he said now while the boy was growing and learning would stick with him later on. "Benny de sailor didn't want t' leave but he'd made a promise he 'ad t' keep, a promise he made t' de father o' 'is beloved in order t' earn 'is blessin' on t'eir marriage. But when de time came where his fair maiden asked de Benny t' stay, de two only wound up exchangin' promises o' t'eir own before his vessel would depart." As he read on he proved to be rather amused and even more convince this was a chronicle depicted to the story of the Black Lady, and found himself starting to belief that this could very well be the article that was based on their story.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jadlin Hayes on August 18th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Jadlin Hayes

Jad tried to focus on the book before him. He knew it was probably his own anxiety that served as the major distraction. The guilty knowledge that he was not supposed to have the book on this ground floor, or at ALL even, since he was not a student, more than offset any seemingly righteous indignation over the prejudicial denial of the information he needed.

Was this book forbidden because it was an "expose on Leeching", or was ALL magic-related literature so regulated. He had not thought to ask the student before the young fellow left for some other part of the place. Now he was distracted with the compulsion to find the young man and ask him. Then he second-guessed himself, imagining one of the assistants such a large place surely had noticing the nature of the volume he held. No, it was best he stay where he was, distracted by anyone that came anywhere near...

It did not help that the father and child were nearby. He was sure that the father had taken note of his conversation with the student. 'No doubt the man has the same low opinion on anyone that "dabbles" in Leeching that the student had initially had.' Jad groused privately. He was certain the man had seen the student go and get the book for him. But at least he was minding his own business enough to refrain from reporting him to the head librarian. But Jad assumed it was only because the infant was being quietly cheerful and the father did not want to upset that boon.

But still, it was hard to focus. Whenever a significant noise came from the paternal pair, or from ANY quarter, for that matter, Jad would quickly prepare to hide the volume he was reading, or trying to read, from prying eyes. This, plus the fact that he could not find any table within the book showing which section, if any, related to offsetting the vulnerability to sickness, made his efforts fruitless.

There were a few references to herbs and foods favored by notorious Leechers listed in the book. But they were there more as a list of things for "good citizens" to watch for, rather than a reference of documented aids for those suffering from any ill effects.

It soon became obvious that the book was designed as propaganda to scare prospective learners away from "the dark discipline of leeching", citing those increased vulnerabilities to sickness as either a righteous punishment by the Goodly Gods, or an indication of the discipline's natural, heinous alignment with Vayt, the God of Pestilence and Toxins.

Jad was incensed. Here he was, a young man of twenty or so, indoctrinated into Leeching since infanthood. Raised by a cult imprisoned and censured for their evil intentions, and this was the first time he'd ever heard of any "God of Pestilence and Toxins". He very nearly slammed the book shut, but caught himself.

"So THIS is the sort of "open-mindedness" I can hope to encounter in my honest effort to not die from something I never asked for!" He muttered bitterly to himself. He sighed heavily and shook off his self pity, deciding he was better off either trusting his own hesitance to indulge in leeching, as his method of learning about it, or enrolling in the University for some other class, thereby gaining access to less prejudiced texts.

His innate upbeat attitude soon had himself convinced that there were surely more positive texts in such a vast collection than THAT piece of..."fanatical dogma". He smirked at what he'd imagined calling it. But now there was the issue of what to do with the book. It occurred to him that if he left it out, there might be some focus in town about a Leecher sneaking volumes in and out of the library, since there would be no official voucher for the removal of the item from its upstairs location.

'Surely there is a "book return" depository of some sort.' Jad told himself. He closed the volume, tucking the maritime history book against it to hide it, and stood up, looking around for a likely sign of such a location, noting quickly that the father and son were getting a bit louder. He was hopeful that they might serve as enough of a distraction for him to slip the Leeching book into the return bin.

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on August 21st, 2014, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ricky Maze on August 20th, 2014, 10:03 pm

As Ricky continued reading onward he enjoyed that little Martin looked to be a bit more engaged with the story, his eyes which most of the time wandered around the room seemed more or less fixated on two things; Ricky and the book on the table. He knew this was a story the father was telling, hence his interest was hooked as he attempted to comprehend everything that Ricky would read to him.

At times Ricky would pause a bit and try to talk about a particular part of the book, explain to his child what exactly it meant before he resumed where he left off. He did it all with a wide smile too, blissful to be so deeply involved with his son in this moment, as Ricky knew he would look back and cherish this memory the rest of his life.

As he continued to read he noticed that the fellow who got the book on Leeching seemed a little aggravated, mentioning that there wasn't any real insight on bettering the condition or something of the sort. He didn't hear the exact words, but knew that the young man seemed to be having trouble trying to come across a solution to benefit his cause. It amused Ricky just a little but but more or less stirred a little pity in turn, he felt for the mage seeing as how the boy seemed to genuinely want to find a way to ease the burdens brought upon him.

Enough to where his attention was diverted when the young lad stood up to move on elsewhere, it was in that moment which Ricky was faced with a decision to say something or say nothing at all. What's t' talk 'bout? What do ya normally say t' somebody who can't find de answers? He wondered to himself in a moment of silence, though he soon found something that seemed worth putting out there. Why? Because he could relate to this young man in a sense, somehow he could relate to the fact this fellow was having a difficult time. Ricky could even relate as of now so to speak, and so the fisherman felt it enough for motivation to at least say something.

As the would be subtly secret leecher went off to try and dispose of the evidence, Ricky looked up from the book and over to him as he passed by with a thought finally expressed into words. "Can't imagine what it must be like, but Oi can tell it ain't easy on ya lad." He'd hoped that the phrase was enough to stop the boy in his tracks, so that the two may engage in a conversation for just a bit. It did after all help when one can relate with another through associated feelings, even if they were found from completely different problems to begin with.

Should the fellow had continued onward though then Ricky would've only watched for a few ticks as he walked, and then with a shrug of his shoulders he would go back to reading for his little boy. However if he did decide to stop and chat for a chime then Ricky would offer a short but friendly grin, and then proceed to express a little more thought aloud to make a case as to why he could possibly relate. "Oi mean, me problems aren't as hard as yer's o' course. But believe me Oi can understand how difficult it is t' find de answer, half de time Oi wonder if me own searchin' seems in vain really." There was the associational feelings that could possible be felt, the similar thoughts that no doubt made it possible for the two to understand one another from two completely different issues.

Of course that depended on what the boy decided to do, did he continue to walk on... or did he decide to stop and converse with Ricky?
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jadlin Hayes on August 21st, 2014, 4:45 am

Jadlin Hayes

When Jad heard the first part of the comment, "Can't imagine what it must be like..." Jad tensed, expecting some follow-up along the line of "...what it must be like to be a petching, djed sucking bastard like you..." So when it was completed with the sympathetic, "...but Oi can tell it ain't easy on ya lad." Jad was momentarily speechless. He did a mild double-take, turning to see both the man and the child smiling at him.

He blinked a couple times, stuttering to think of something courteous with which to reply. The man beat him to it, "Oi mean, me problems aren't as hard as yer's o' course. But believe me Oi can understand how difficult it is t' find de answer, half de time Oi wonder if me own searchin' seems in vain really."

For a moment, Jad misunderstood, thinking this man was a Leecher like him, having an equally unsuccessful time trying to find literature that gave information without recriminations. But then the significance of the words "...me problems aren't as hard as yer's..." registered fully enough to make him realize that this was probably not the case.

It was an odd hesitance that struck Jad just then. The man's thick accent, and less than perfect grammar, made Jad worry that he might come off as some kind of snob if he kept to his usual, verbose pomposity. But then he immediately second-guessed this concern with fear that he would sound "fake" if he deliberately tried to spike his phrases with the local vernacular. In the end, he suddenly laughed softly and shook his head, amused with his own hang-ups.

He found a chair and sat, a smile of appreciation for this man, who appeared to accept him in spite of his Leeching. "Thank you, sir. I'd shake your hand, but they appear quite delightfully full." A somewhat pained expression then crossed his features and there was just a bit of tendency to avoid the father's eyes. "I...must confess I owe you an apology. I thought I'd seen you take notice of me, and was anticipating more vilification being heaped upon me. Especially with you sitting a child. I've had mothers quite literally turn away from me, guarding their babies as if they thought I would try to Leech them. I think sometimes that some folks think that a Leecher LIVES off of it."

He shrugged with a hint of regret. "I suppose I can understand, if not agree. Having read books like this one..." he patted the uncomplimentary volume, "...I can see where folks get their notions. I was going to take it back, but I had to get a student to get it for me since I'm not allowed upstairs. Now I wish I wouldn't have bothered. I'm not quite sure what to do with it."

His fingers were tapping nervously on the table, and he noticed the child leaning to reach for them curiously. "He's a good looking boy. I assume he's yours?" He was a little hesitant to reach back, thinking that such a gesture may be just a bit overly familiar. However friendly this man seemed to be, they were, nonetheless, strangers.

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on August 24th, 2014, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ricky Maze on August 24th, 2014, 12:01 am

Ricky had to quietly admit to himself that he was rather amused with the reaction the young fellow had displayed, bewilderment being a element keen to trace as he seemed to reevaluate how he should make his approach. Did it really come as a shock to him? Was he so used to hearing the opposite of what Ricky said to him? Had he been fronted with it for so long it was all he had to expect?

The father couldn't help but watch in amusement, a chuckle to follow as the man expressed a comment on the handshake. "S'quite al'roi mate." He responded only before the Leecher seemed to carry on, which amused Ricky even more after he heard what the poor boy had to say about the usual behavior. It was no surprise he gained such treatment, normally when a person learned what a Leecher can do, they reacted in such a way out of fear or spite depending on their reason. For Ricky, he probably would've done the same. The difference being though, he heard the conversation well enough to understand that this man wasn't intentionally a Leecher, that he didn't purposefully go out seeking other's life forces just for his own nourishment.

Either way there was still one fact there, one that didn't necessary unsettle Ricky but did make him a bit wary at best. This man was a Leecher. Meaning he could very well hurt others through intent that wasn't even his own, if he didn't know very well how to keep proper control of course. It didn't absolutely bother the father but naturally, there was that small amount of natural born apprehension created from instinct. "If it were me Oi'd discreetly put it somewhere else, nobody really knows 'ow t' keep dis place sorted, so it could 'ave easily been shelved elsewhere." He suggested with a faint smile on his face, his friendly demeanor still maintained as he focused more on the man, and not the fact he was a leecher.

When he gestured to Martin and gave the compliment about him, all while the child looked and on occasion reached at the new stranger in their midst, Ricky glanced down at the boy in retrospect grinned a bit wider in turn. "T'anks. He's me lil' boy aight! Be a year old wit'in a season too!" He shared proudly as he patted the child's head affectionately. "Definitely 'as me looks, bless 'is heart. But he 'as 'is Ma's eyes, which'll definitely make 'im a ladies man later on." The joke was followed with a good short laugh from Ricky, as he would return his gaze from the child back over to the man that had joined their company. "Oi'm Ricky by de way, dis lil' guy is Martin. " The introduction was only a means of formality, one that didn't necessarily require a handshake on the stranger part. For obvious reasons of course.

"What's yer name? An' where exactly 're ya from?" He asked curiously with hopes that he wasn't being interrogative, he never really personally knew a person who could use leeching but chooses not to. Last time he met a person who did... he lost a finger in the process.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next