Flashback Numb [Drusilla]

Arvo sings, someone overhears

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Numb [Drusilla]

Postby Arvo on August 22nd, 2014, 6:10 pm

1st day of Summer 506AV

Another day, another beating, another asshole calling him names. He’d got into a fight, again, and it showed. His knuckles were swollen, and raw and his lips were split and bleeding. But you should have seen the other guy! His friends had to drag him away because his legs failed him. Arvo had to force himself to stop hitting him in the end. The only reason he did stop was because he didn’t want to kill him. That would have brought more trouble than it was worth. He had to disappear for a little while. The tunnels of this ants-nest city very easily became suffocating, especially to a hunter who thrived in the open air of the mountain.

At the same time, Arvo didn’t feel like climbing, or traveling to any of his usual spots for hunting. He felt like sitting somewhere the population dwindled to a select few who probably wouldn’t bother him. The Indelible Haven was a lovely slice of peace and quiet. A place where his bruised and battered appearance would probably stand out more, but none the less, it was better than the city. It was better than dealing with the endless torment of being amongst his redheaded peers. If only he could just shut off his troublesome emotions altogether. Then he’d be able to do anything to anyone, and not care. He wasn’t sure weather that was strength or not. He knew emotions ran wild in the Inartens, and he knew they mostly just hindered them, or got them killed. But at the same time, if he didn’t feel, he may as well not be human.

It was an endless stream of questions in his head, and it drove him into madness, but when his feet hit the soft feathery sands of the Haven, his mind he instantly relaxed. He hadn’t realized he’d been hunching his shoulders, and tensing his muscles. The bonus was that there were no unwelcome faces here. Of course, being left to his own thoughts had never done him much good anyway. With no distractions, Arvo was rather vulnerable, and off his usual guard. He was so desperate for something to think about other than ‘woe is me’ that he actually began to do something that was quite unlike himself.

Singing was all about emotion. It was etched into the very heart and soul of the art. And he’d heard so many sing to convey what they felt. Arvo didn’t know any songs with word in them, he didn’t even know if he could sing well, but he though maybe it’d bring him closer to… something real. As if trying to sing would somehow change the fact that he was selfish and detached from most feelings. What he sung he was sure he didn’t know. He only remembered the tune, not the words. He felt as though it must be something his mother used to sing to him as a baby, but he couldn’t be sure. It was a lovely tune, full of longing and sadness. Arvo was a good actor, and as it turns out, a decent singer, so when he sand, though his voice was rougher than his mothers, it was emotional, and beautiful. It changed nothing. It was never going to.

Last edited by Arvo on August 23rd, 2014, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Other character(s)
Billie
Arvo
A Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing

Words: 47221
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2014, 6:47 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Numb [Drusilla]

Postby Drusilla on August 23rd, 2014, 1:22 am

Drusilla had taken to wandering again. It was for the best that she did. The teen with her long white hair was learning to survive by stealth. She was a ghost. Rarely seen unless she had to be. While most Inarta her age were still going about as Yasi, Drusilla had been pulled straight into Chiet status as soon as she had come within the gates. Perhaps her father's impatience with her schooling was to be thanked. He had sent her to the Weft and Warp as soon as her motor skills had developed. Her weaving and sewing had gotten her here she would work her way up. They all could just watch her.

As the young Symenestra walked, a tune floated through the air. She found it hard to discern... Was it male or female? Drusilla squinted as if that would clarify her thinking somehow. Deciding the only way to find anything out was to find the source of the melody. Whether or not this was a smart decision was to be seen. As she approached the source of the noise it began to sound more and more male. When a shape became visible, Drusilla gasped inwardly. The boy was covered in blood, but more so Drusilla noticed his skin. A refection of her own. He's part Symenestra! Her mind raced. Should she kill it? Her brain said yes. But... he didn't even look like a Dra... Maybe half a Dra? She'd assess his thread level and then decide.

Drusilla approached the battered boy quietly without any footfall. She nudged the boy with her foot. "Hey, if you're dead stop singing, if you're planning on living I'd get up so you don't get trampled." She spoke Nari but a small accent of Symenos hung over it, much like how a bit of Nari tainted her Symenos.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Words: 272571
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2010, 6:55 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Numb [Drusilla]

Postby Arvo on August 23rd, 2014, 5:55 am

For a moment Arvo allowed his mind to just go numb as he lay against a very smooth low rock on the peaceful little cove. He closed his eyes and continued to hum the nonsensical tune. Numbness settled over him slowly and he felt like he could just lay here forever. So of course that time had to be cut short. Arvo opened his eyes when he felt someone nudge him with their foot. A female voice, spoke to him in Nari so he stopped his humming and sat up to look at her, a little self conscious of what his singing may or may not have sounded like.

Her skin matched his, and her hair was as white as snow and her eyes were of a unique purple hue. She was a Symenestra. He’d figured out that he was part Symenestra himself a while back when he’d researched the race. Of course, he couldn’t be sure, but it certainly looked like it, especially now that he compared himself to this full-blooded Symenestrian teenager.

What had she said again? He was going to be trampled? Did she mean by her? “I’m far from dead.” He said eventually “But I don’t really want to get up.” He shuffled to the far side of the rock “Why don’t you sit down instead, that way maybe you wont kick me.” He smile at her so that she’d understand he was being playfull rather than accusatory. He wondered why she was out here. Maybe she’d been escaping from the Inartens like he was. Who knew? All he knew was he wanted to talk to her. He’d never met a Spider before.

He knew this would fail terribly, but maybe she’d stay if he said something in Symnos. He’d learnt some scattered phrases from books, but there was no way he could hold a conversation. “My name is Arvo” He told her in heavily accented Symnos. “Yep. That’s about all I know…” He confessed in Nari after struggling to figure out something else he could add to that last statement and failing miserably. Realizing he had blood on his face still he leant forward towards the warm water and splashed his face with it, washing away the dried blood from his nose and lips

Other character(s)
Billie
Arvo

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Numb [Drusilla]

Postby Drusilla on August 23rd, 2014, 9:56 am

Drusilla raised an eyebrow, baiting her with her home tongue. He wanted to talk or something. "A pleasure. My name is Drusilla Aster of Kalinor." She gave a small curtsy. "Arvo... Strange name... " She kept her distance, she had to. She needed to know more of this Dra's Dra. An opening presented itself as the male went to wipe the blood from his face. "No no, you're just making it worse!" Drusilla made her approach she dipped the edge of her black dress in the water and took to washing this...Arvo's face.

"Honestly you males and your need to assert dominance over one another! It's stupid. Wasting energy that could spent in better ways." She held his chin in one hand. He lacked fangs she could feel... She finished cleaning his face. "There, your lip is busted up. I don't know any medical stuffs, nor do I have any real supplies... But I can try and fix your shirt, there are holes..." The Symenestra produced a needle and a strand of thread. "I'm a seamstress, you see Arvo. A Chiet, for the moment. But just watch me get to Avora." Drusilla said more to herself.

"You spoke Symenos, so you know what I am. Why, are you talking to me and what exactly are you? You're no Inarta. Maybe part, but not full blood." With that she threaded her needle. "Your shirt.." Drusilla extended a hand to take the torn garment.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Numb [Drusilla]

Postby Arvo on August 23rd, 2014, 2:22 pm

The sentence went to quickly for him to catch every word, but he heard ‘My name is Drusilla’ and ‘from Kalinor’. As an outsider he couldn’t understand why move to Windreach, of all places? Inartens tended to treat other races like shyke. As Arvo wiped his face he heard her again, telling him he was making it worse. She wet the corner of her formal black dress and strangely started washing away the blood with it. Arvo was too shocked to do anything about it, and then suddenly she was lecturing about ‘asserting his dominance’. Arvo laughed out loud “Asserting my dominance, huh? That’s a good one.” He said darkly “Actually I think the phrase in this situation would be ‘defending myself’” He said, refraining from grumbling all the nasty swears he knew about them for his company’s sake.

Drusilla went on to tell him more about herself, and offered to sow up his singlet for him. Arvo shrugged and nodded his thanks when she was done with his face. He took off the shirt and handed it to her. ‘You’re no Inarten’ That phrase was certainly familiar. A sort of bitterness crept into his expression and he averted his eyes from the Spiderette. “If I remember correctly, you’re the one who began the conversation” Arvo said cooly “As for ‘what I am’.” He paused “I grew up here, learnt everything I know here, I climbed the ranks and became an Avora, a hunter, and a good one at that.” He shrugged “Guess that’s not ‘Inarten’ enough” He said running a hand through his impossibly thick black hair “It’s all about the pigmentation of one’s hair. I’m sure if I were a redhead, they’d receive me better.” Arvo said resentfully “Or maybe that’s thinking to much of the brutes” He muttered under his breath.

Arvo lay back against the rock again so he could stare at the clouds as they drifted lazily overhead “But to answer your question properly, I’m a mongrel. I know my mother had dark hair, so she was probably a half blood. My father I’ve never met. Disappeared before I was born. Who knows what he was.” He said “He must have been part Sym though. Our skin is the same, after all.”

Propping himself up on his elbows to look at her he fixed an easy going grin onto his face in an attempt to lighten the mood. “So since you like to question me so much, why don’t you tell me some things?” he asked “Tell me about the Symenstra, yeah?” He asked her. He was curious, because maybe, if this ran it course, he could find another home in Kalinor with the Spiders. Of course, he’d stick out like a sore thumb there as well, without fangs or elongated limbs. Did they all have white hair like this one? He’d heard they lived in a cave underground. That didn’t sound overly comfortable. Maybe the idea was silly after all. Maybe Arvo would never belong anywhere. What a distasteful thought.

Other character(s)
Billie
Arvo

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Numb [Drusilla]

Postby Drusilla on August 31st, 2014, 10:58 pm

"I didn't start a conversation. I kicked a dead body and told it to stop singing." Drusilla stated in an of-a-matter-of-fact tone as she began to patch up holes throughout the boy's shirt. Arvo vented about the Inarta to her, she understood some of what he said. "Not all of them are brutes. Keep hunting and proving yourself to them. Acceptance comes through hard work, Arvo..." She didn't look up as her nimble fingers moved over the fabric at a nice pace.

"So, if I get this right... You're the Dra of... a Dra...? Huh. I don't believe there's even a term for that in Symenos.... A Dra's Dra..." The Symenestra stopped to ponder this notion. "Your name's all sorts of wrong, Although it does have a V in it... But still... Draarvo, it just sounds off. Draravo would sound better... Your father was a Dra a halfling. So his name would of been Dra-something... Making you a halfling of a halfling you as well would have a name starting with Dra." She continued her work of patching up the shirt.

Drusilla's face soured when asked about her race and resisted to simply tell him they were monsters who needed to die. With a deep breath she relaxed her face returning to normal. "You can't just ask 'Tell me about the Symenstra' be more specific what about them do you wish to know? If you ask specific questions I can give more detailed answers, you see." Drusilla explained finishing one of the last holes.
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Numb [Drusilla]

Postby Arvo on September 19th, 2014, 9:36 am

oocHey, sorry it’s late. Been really busy with my uni course.
Arvo made a face. She spoke strangely. Maybe she wasn’t far from the truth. He was pretty dead, and even the emotional art of singing didn’t help him pretend because it meant absolutely nothing to him. Maybe this strange ashen female had sensed that. Or maybe he was giving her too much credit. “What you don’t like my singing?” He joked.

He didn’t care much for her lecture. It was nothing he didn’t know already. “Oh please.” He muttered “Spare me the lectures.”He said exasperated “I work hard because it is necessary. But no matter what, I’m still not one of them. That’s the way it works.”

She went on to babble about his name “I’m not sticking ‘Dra’ in front of my name” He said “It doesn’t flow.” He pretended to look hurt “Besides, I happen to like my name! Rude, much?” He let himself grin as he looked at her, in case it wasn’t obvious he was joking. “Anyway, I don’t even know my fathers full name, so I certainly wont be taking a syllable out of it to add to my own.”

He caught the physical reaction of bitterness when he mentioned the Symenstra, and grew curious. “You’re right, I should be more specific.” He said “Well I assume, since you’re here and not in Kalinor, that you differ from them in some way. An assumption that was aided greatly by the sour look on your face just now, so tell me, what is their general mentality, or common traits? How does one fit in there?” He asked seriously “I wonder if my personality would be closer to Inartans of spiders. Perhaps neither.” He considered then added to himself “Probably neither.”

Other character(s)
Billie
Arvo

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Numb [Drusilla]

Postby Drusilla on September 24th, 2014, 8:00 pm

"I never said I didn't like your singing... But I get the feeling it was more parroting someone else singing than you really singing. It lacked your feelings." Finishing up the shirt she handed back to Arvo. "You should visit the Gallery, that shirt won't hold up for much longer. It would be in your best interest to buy a new one." Drusilla had done all that she could to fix the shirt, going beyond just patching the holes and fixing the seams that were coming undone. In her opinion she had done a great job with the fix. However she was sure the Avora over her would find something wrong somewhere.

She rolled her eyes at the boy. "Papa said people who say that are the ones who need the lectures drilled into their heads even more." Her father had been a smart man, high in the community in Kalinor and if there was one Symenestra Drusilla still trusted, it was her father. Sure, he had made some mistakes... But everyone did at some point. Plus the mistakes he had made had been made with the best intentions.

"I just said it didn't flow." Had this boy a hearing problem? "Perhaps I am rude, no I am direct." Drusilla corrected herself. "Besides a Dra is a Dra is a Dra is a Dra." She had momentarily turned her back to the boy when he mentioned her sour look causing her to bolt around to face him.

"You're right that I'm different, I don't kill innocent women. I'm nothing like them! You're crazy if you want to fit in there! That horrid cave. Besides you couldn't walk the threads and your stomach is human enough to be appalled by our food. I mean, you can eat bread right?"
Common|Symenos|Nari|Pavi

My Girls
Drusilla|Lyn'nice|
Piper|
Sioffra
Drusilla
New mother

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Numb [Drusilla]

Postby Brandon Blackwing on October 24th, 2015, 1:41 pm

DRUSILLA

XP:

• Observation +2
  • Stealth +1
  • Medicine +1
  • Rhetoric +2
  • Socialization +2
  • Sewing +1
  • Teaching +1

Lore:
  • Medicine: Cleaning wounds
  • Arvo: Far from a pure blood
  • Arvo: Resents the Inarta
  • Arvo: Avora Hunter

Notes:
Arvo, your grade has been withheld due to inactivity.

Please remove or edit your post in the request thread.
Also please track your newly awarded xp and lores in your CS so both staff and graders alike can keep on grading your threads :)
If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

credit goes to Adelaide Sitai
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)