Enthusiastic Hello!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Enthusiastic Hello!

Postby Aerer on August 27th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Hi there!

I've been ever so slowly working on my character sheet and trying to wrap my head around the sheer wall of lore you have attached to this site. While I'm enjoying this and excited to get to be a part of a group who really loves to immerse themselves in the details it is quite overwhelming. I imagine it might be a while before I get involved so I at least wanted to introduce myself in the meantime and just let you know how thrilled I was to run across such a bustling and talented group of people.

I do have a few outstanding questions that is probably on the website somewhere but I haven't found it yet:

1) After my character sheet is posted and approved, my next step is to post about job listings in the particular towns? Is there anything I should know about this? Do I try to incorporate that into some of my stories themselves and do I need to document my income? Can bad things ensue if I run out of money or do I just need to make sure I am appropriately destitute?

2) I'd really like my posts to be factually accurate. If I'm attempting something in the city that wouldn't be condoned (peddling without a license, is there even licenses?) - can I post OOC in that citys forum to try and learn more or can I just go for it and someone will update me if I'm in the wrong? I don't want to bore people with 20 questions but I know while I'm trying my best some lore might slip through the cracks.

Thank you for listening to my ramblings! Hopefully I'll get the chance to bump into you on your journey.

-A
Aerer
Player

Words: 42682
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2014, 1:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Enthusiastic Hello!

Postby Adelaide Sitai on August 27th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Hello Aerer and welcome to Mizahar! And don't worry... we all felt like that at one stage when first seeing the lore.

1) Jobs have to be arranged with a storyteller, which most cities have (though you may want to check that you're planning on entering a city with an active storyteller) They will arrange your salary. This done, you have to do two 'job' threads per season in order to access your money, so to speak. You can do a thread IC with the storyteller, where you arrange your income - in many cities there are 'employment offices' - or just start your job as soon as that is arranged.

2) And yes. All cities have a sort of forum. Feel free to ask questions there or to contact your storyteller if you're not sure about the answers you get. However, if you do something IC that is wrong, your storyteller will tell you. Still, I would check, because you don't want to find yourself writing two thousand words or so that turn out to be of no value.

Good Luck! Also, if you have any more questions, or if I have not answered them well, feel free to ask or to request clarification. :)
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Enthusiastic Hello!

Postby Garland on August 27th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Welcome to the site. Have fun with the sheer amount of reading and lore to be had. Enjoy your stay in mizahar! :3
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Enthusiastic Hello!

Postby Azira on August 27th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Greetings, Aerer!

Welcome to Mizahar! Adelaide has already been kind enough to answer your questions but I thought I'd add to the second question. Many cities have some form of guide or codex that elaborates on IC stuff specific to that particular city. They usually contain the do's and don't 's of the city as well as a link map that contains links to information on the different locations within the city along with cultural information. You can normally find them at the top of a city's forum.

The lore may seem daunting at first but you don't have to read it all at once. Read up on the races that interest you (you can change your race in the User Control Panel if you decide you don't want to be a human) and familiarise yourself with whatever one you choose. Personally I only read up on three races for my first character before I found one I loved. It had a specific city so I read the lore on that and then just read about money and timestamping threads and how to put together a character sheet. Start with basics to get yourself up and running and then read up on more as you go. Skimming through threads in domains that interest you would be a good idea too. That way you can see what the activity/playerbase is like.

Hope all of my rambling helped! Good luck!
4 out of 5 active threads

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Words: 907811
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Enthusiastic Hello!

Postby Aerer on August 28th, 2014, 12:16 am

Wonderful!

Things are slowly starting to fall into place and despite my initial panic I think I'm a bit more optimistic about my chances of understanding how things work. I'm still a tad anxious about my writing capabilities but I suppose this is a chance to learn and grow in that regard.

I just wanted to say thank you, Azira, Garland and Adelaide for the warm reception and offering helpful advice. I'm amazed the mods can keep all of this running smoothly as I'm blown away by the intricacies!

As for now, I'm off to make rash purchases for my spendthrift vagabound.

Also, are pictures mandatory or recommended as avatars? I won't mind adding a visual image if I'm forced to but I personally enjoy painting my own images in my head and while I understand it could help someone else easily perceive Aerer (or future characters) at a glance it would take me a while to rustle up something acceptable.

Thanks again!

-A
Aerer
Player

Words: 42682
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2014, 1:54 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook