Completed Alphabetical Order (Ricky)

Jad finds "Family" listed under "M"

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Alphabetical Order (Ricky)

Postby Jadlin Hayes on August 24th, 2014, 5:39 am

Jadlin Hayes

Jad considered a moment, let slip a facial shrug and set the Leeching book on the seat of a nearby chair, scooting it under the table. He looked up with a noncommittal expression, "Well, it looks 'shelved' to me." Then he broke into a grin. He looked again at the boy, thinking he'd seen him somewhere before, but discounted it, chalking it up the the similarities all babies shared in appearance.

"Well his mother must surely have 'captivating' eyes, then. Yes, indeed, you're gonna have them fightin' over ya, little man." His grin widened as he spoke, switching the target of his remark from the man to the child. He thought suddenly of Black, and how glad he was there was no competition trying to pull her away from him. He had never been any sort of ladies' man. Of course, he'd never really had the chance to be. He felt a moment of melancholy as he remembered the one girl that had caught his attention back in Syliras; before the cult had her killed and bent his memory to think he'd done it.

He shook off that grim memory in time to put the smile back on his face by the time the man turned his own look back to him. The man named himself 'Ricky', and Jad was just drawing breath to return the courtesy when he went on to name his son as 'Martin'.

Jad paused, again caught by something familiar. He studied the child for a moment, trying to place the memory. "Martin...That's a good name. I like it better than mine. It's 'Jad', by the way, 'Jadlin Hayes." He thought for a moment that his new friend was going to defend 'Jad' as a good name, and gave a quick wave off. "No, no, 'Jad' is okay, the short version. I just don't like the 'lin' at the end. Sort of softens it too much. Makes it wimpy, I guess. Like something a doting old aunt would call me. 'Oh, he's my little Jadlin'. So I try to go by just Jad...Though if I'm giving the full name, it's not bad."

He realized he was going on way too much about the name. "Anyway, I'm from Syliras. Left there early last Spring on 'Bethany's Badge'." He straightened instinctively at the mention of his ship. He had no idea whether this man had any understanding of the sensibilities of a sailing man, but they would endure insult to their families before allowing such to sully the honor of their ship.

It was a strange phenomenon that every sailing man offered pause after naming their vessel, to give a rival the chance to offer insult so they could fight over it. But this man 'Ricky' did not appear to be of this sort. Jad was glad this time too. This man had offered a friendly chair while under no obligation, and Jad did not wish to find cause for contention with him. He had, in fact restored a decent assessment of people in general after a series of ugly exchanges with others. And the child was a gem. 'What was it about the child...?'

He went back to his voyage, "Took the better part of a hundred and thirty days. But we slid right to quay with only a single guy and anchor. Men aloft took it in tied. Cap' was on the nail with that one." he beamed. "They've set to the Northern route for the Summer now, but I had business in town, lookin' for family. And now I've got a job and a woman." He blushed slightly, expecting some sort of friendly ribbing about it 'probly bein' yer first, eh?' And while it wasn't his first dalliance, it WAS the first that wasn't bought with coin.

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on August 26th, 2014, 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jadlin Hayes - No Hurries, No Worries...
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Words: 187030
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2014, 6:15 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ricky Maze on August 26th, 2014, 2:01 am

Ricky chuckled inwardly as he watched the young fellow place the book in a chair, and tucked it away so that someone may yet find it on a later note. The notion was both evasive yet initiative in regards to losing something he shouldn't possess, seeing as how it came from a reserved part of the library only for those engaged with the University. "Aye," He finally then agreed with the comment made about Martin, "Poor boy's gonna 'ave it rough when he gits older, hopefully he won't be a heart breaker like somebody Oi know." He chuckled along with the joke, secretly hiding the shame he felt in his own right. Though that time was by far unintentional on his part, he still wound up hurting the feelings of two other women when they found out about Telion. Things had been too complicated back then of course, now everything seemed to be easier to handle as the simplicity of life finally started to form.

"Jadlin eh? Different name but Oi like it honestly, it bears a strong meanin' t' de mot'er and fat'er dat named ya." Ricky complimented respectfully with a humble grin on his face, unaware of the past that the Jad very much kept quiet at this point. Then again it wasn't necessarily Ricky's business to know anyways, that all highly depended on the perspective at hand as well though. Did Jadlin feel like sharing it? Did Ricky need to know? Was it important for the two to share it? It all depended on one's own perspective to begin with, and for Ricky it didn't seem to matter off hand as of now. So far all he knew was that Jadlin had a history that involved the unfortunate acquirement of Leeching, and that he was originally from Syliras before he had come to Zeltiva.

"Bethany's Badge? No doubt named after Bethany Edgetower." Ricky quoted with a smirk of interest, it wasn't often he heard the names of vessels derived from very important figures born out of history. "De Cap'n must'a been a fan o' de voyager Bethany took wit' Kenabelle." Then of course when he heard Jadlin mention he stayed behind in search of family, Ricky couldn't help but silently muse to himself another bastard of his own father. It wouldn't be the first time after all. Yet when he heard that Jad had found himself both a job and a love interest, it brought a genuine grin out of the father as he chuckled once again before he went on with a response. "Settlin' down already eh? Zeltiva ain't a bad place t' live in honestly, an' if she be de woman ya love den don't be afraid t' express it." He regarded with a sense of wisdom behind it.

"Believe me, Oi didn't know Oi'd be wit' de woman o' me dreams. Not until Oi realized dat woman was already me best friend, an' by de time Oi realized dat Oi was already 'avin dis little shyke bag." Ricky bounced Martin in his laps as the child would "Uuuuuuh," continuously as he was bound up and down in the process. It was a moment that led the father to laugh as he ran his fingers through the boys hair, a strong sense of love automatically felt between them just before the fisherman returned to the subject. "So yer settlin' down den? What's dis family yer searchin' for? If ye don't mind me askin o' course, 'ere lately Oi've been sorta tryin' t' do de same." He admitted as he glanced over to the service desk once more, the failed attempt at trying to access the University records earlier still a bitter sting, in how close he may have come to seeing who else he may have been related to.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jadlin Hayes on August 26th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Jadlin Hayes

He couldn't help but grin. Both the man's boisterous demeanor, and his thick accent, were music to Jad's ears. He had to start making an effort not to copy the colorful barrage of brogue spicing the conversation. He did not want the man to think he was mocking him. Nor did he want to inject anything too somber into the subject matter being discussed.

So he didn't respond about what meaning his name may or may not have had to whoever his parents were. But he was not in the least hesitant to expound upon 'Bethany's Badge', confirming that the linguist of Kennabelle Wright's famous journey WAS the namesake of his ship. "That's the reason Cap' wouldn't ever allow any Myrians on board, 'ceptin' for the pleasure of tossing them overboard. Said their piss-puddled footprints would rot the decks. Mutts and murderers, he called them." he chuckled.

But he blushed awkwardly at the advice on being up front about his feelings toward Black Onyx. He was about to ask the older man how he'd known the extent of his own feelings, when the man openly acknowledged his own stumbling into love and fatherhood. He laughed, "So I ought to take your romantic advice with the understanding that I'll be benefitting from your mistakes, then?"

But Jad quickly got fairly serious, nodding his agreement with the advice. "I've been worried that she's such a free spirit that she's going to grow tired of me, and I didn't want to add pressure with talk of love. I want to enjoy what we've got as long as I can. I...I guess I'm afraid that talk of "settling down" will send her running. But I don't know...we've been through some serious situations and she never deserted me. Really, she's rescued me more than once. I really DO owe it to her to be up front."

Returning to the subject of family, Jad was quiet for a moment. "I'm sorry. No, I don't mind you asking, but it's all a big mystery to me and I don't want you to think I'm fishing for sympathy. It's just something I have to deal with. There was a time it really got me down, but I've moved on. Another benefit of finding a place where I feel like I belong. You see, I don't know my parents, but I wasn't exactly an orphan, either."

He went on to give a rough account of his childhood, such as it was. Raised in a haze of mind control, used as a djed battery, which was how he "learned" Leeching. How one man among the cult, named Morliss, did him the benefit of teaching him Shielding, so he'd have something to do with the toxic djed from Leeching, to lessen the effects of it. "Probably the only actual friend I had, growing up."

He bypassed a decade's worth of unpleasantness to get to the part about family. Starting with a mention of the raid on the cult household and the ensuing trial, he explained how he'd been freed, as a victim, due to the input of some woman who was speaking on behalf of someone or something she called "the Lykata". He asked the man if he knew what that was.

He went on to say that this Lykata said his ring indicated that he had a father that the ring belonged to, and that he should go to Zeltiva to find out more. "But it's just a big "M". I don't really see how my name relates to that. I had a big list of names of sailors that start with "M", but none of them panned out." He was fishing for the parchment, not looking at the man as he pulled it from his pocket.

"There are only three names left to investigate. 'Mallory', 'Maze' and 'McCenry'..." he stopped abruptly, his eyes wide. His gaze shot to the baby. "That's where I saw the kid!" He looked up, not knowing if the expression on the man's face was due to anything else beside the sudden focus on the child. He immediately grew apologetic, knowing the man would be defensive of sudden focus on his child.

"I'm sorry, the name 'McCenry' just reminded me. When I first sat down, I thought the child was familiar somehow. I know all babies look a lot alike, but this really triggered something, but all this talk sort of made me forget. back at The World's End Grotto, where I am staying, I saw a man named McCenry...frankly, he was kind of a dick...But I might not have approached him with the greatest diplomacy either...Anyway, I'm certain he was caring for this child. To be honest, the presence of the child was probably the only reason we didn't come to blows."

Jad suddenly grimaced. "Uhhh...I hope I'm not suddenly insulting your best friend or something."

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on August 29th, 2014, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ricky Maze on August 28th, 2014, 3:02 am

Ricky couldn't help but laugh a little when the subject of Jad's love life was present, admittedly he automatically found a sense of attachment in Jad when he mentioned how he felt for this woman. Where it seemed light hearted and amusing it somehow became genuinely serious as he expressed his inner thoughts, and in turn Ricky respected that with a bit of honesty on his own part. "My advice? Do what feels roi lad, don't let yer fears or worries discourage ya from tellin' 'er. Let yer heart speak an' when ye follow it, de rest is bound t' fall perfectly in place wit'out a doubt." He finished with a humble smile on his face, a chuckle to follow as Martin made a "Uhn," noise as though he were part of the conversation.

When it came to Jad opening up about his past, the story itself already took an interesting turn as he came to learn things he didn't expect. This cult, the initiation into leeching, the man that helped Jad learn shielding, everything he felt like expressing to Ricky was returned with interest, intense curiosity in the father's eyes as he would occasionally look baffled by something he couldn't have guessed to come next. Overall the story had a compelling feel to it that made Ricky feel a little more normal about himself, which oddly was something good and comforting on his part but at the same time, he hated the fact someone had endured far worse in their lifetime in turn. When most of the story seemed to be told in proportion, Ricky's expression was one of amazement as he seemed to still be processing the words as a whole, resulting in only the word "Damn," only before the later part followed.

He came here seeking a father who was supposed to have carried a ring, a man who was a sailor that bore the last name of the letter the ring resembled. M. It was odd to see it but when it was shown to Ricky, the fisherman's eyebrows furrowed as he looked at it with intrigue. "Huh. Figures really, sailor's 're prone t' father bastards often. Oi should know seein' as Oi'm one o' dem." He jested slightly though the truth was all the more clearer now, another possibility of having a sibling existed if Ricky were to truly think about how his father was. Burten fathered him, and in turn fathered Lissa and Billie so the chances of it were existent if anything. At this point Ricky heard the names that Jad read out aloud to him, the second name being the one that grabbed his attention even more as the shocking realization he expected to find, still somehow smacked him in the face wildly enough to where his jaw nearly hit the table.

Then of course there was the mention of McCenry, which come to find out Jad had already met and encountered him as it turned out to be the only McCenry Ricky knew. Gale had met this man? The idea sounded wild itself with a wicked sense of humor on fate's part. "Ye kinda did." Ricky's face cracked a sincere grin then, another chuckle to follow as he looked down at his son and wondered, did Martin by chance remember meeting this man? Did this man know that Martin was the son of a Maze, or that Ricky himself was that Maze he sought out. How did he want to break such news to him? This was definitely another unusual situation that left Ricky in a dumbfounded state, thus he did the only thing he thought best to do. Come up front and be honest with the boy.

"Gale 'as 'is days at times but he's actually a great guy when ya git t' know 'im, he's actually me son's Godfather if he didn't tell ya dat already." He explained as he tried to figure out how to be outright and honest about this situation, he then wondered why was it in the moments where things seemed to be normal, that everything then seemed to twist into some unexpected mess that literally destroyed the idea he hoped so hard to achieve. "Honestly Oi t'ink Oi already know who dat ring belonged t'." He sighed then as though he wasn't to sure about this, his mind already bent on the idea of making an amusing light out of the situation. "It belonged t' de Maze's, or someone in t'eir family. As for dem in general, well... ye found 'em!"

When he said that he did so with a slight enthusiastic tone, hopeful the humor he put in might make the moment a little more richer to remember. It wasn't often one found out they had not one, not two, but three younger siblings they were related to. Either way the smile would fade a little as he returned to taking the conversation a little seriously, the discovery of what may be an actual little brother somewhat exciting yet horribly thrilling, given the circumstances he was made a Leecher and Shielder.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jadlin Hayes on August 29th, 2014, 2:28 am

Jadlin Hayes

Jad planted his face firmly into the palm of his hand, shaking them both in embarrassment. "I'm so sorry. You're the first man to treat me decently after finding out I'm a Leecher. And now I've gone and called your child's Godfather a 'dick'. I don't really know how it happened. I woke in the hallway of the Grotto. The baby was crying and Mr. McCenry looked like he was angry at him. I asked him what he was doing with him, and he told me to mind my own business."

Jad rolled his eyes at the memory, "I guess I can't blame him, but I get a little over-protective in regards to kids. And I think I was sort of caught up in the last fuzzy bits of a dream. Anyway, I uhhh...I said that protecting defenseless children IS my business. Well, that didn't go over too well, but it really got hot when he saw my ship's crew emblem, denoting 'Bethany's Badge'. He said something about taking the namesake of a petching scribe shows what kind of "sailor" I was. He said it all scornful like that."

Jad straightened his shoulders now, relaying a matter of honor. "I don't know if you're a sailor, or ever been one, but if you know anything about it, you know that a sailor will let slide insults to his mother before an insult to his ship. I'm honestly not sure what I said after that. Something about him puttin' the baby to bed and then me helpin' him furl his face around my fist...Show him what kind of "sailor" I was."

It was funny how, looking back, Jad had to admit he'd enjoyed the little contest of wits with that McCenry fellow, and looked forward to the next one. "Anyway, it got pretty ugly after that. But it was only talk...Nose-to-nose talk, but only talk, just the same. I think we could'a both counted each others' eyelashes as we "talked." Jad laughed, "But it never came to blows." He turned to Martin, modifying his voice with silliness, "But you thought it was all funny, didn't you...Oh yes you did, you were laughing the whole time."

The baby laughed with him and Jad turned back to the man. "Anyway, I returned the favor, saying that they must have called it 'The Bringer' because they were too stupid to spell 'Bilge Raft' correctly, and that the only thing it 'Brings' is a reputation for incompetence that the rest of us have to live down. For a moment, I honestly thought he was gonna drop the child right on the floor and take a swing at me."

The other man seemed to appreciate the humor in the situation, though it would probably result in someone getting a black eye and losing a couple teeth. Jad expected that, for now, the man would favor Mr. McCenry coming out on top of that exchange. But he didn't begrudge the man's likely favoritism. He and this McCenry were obviously old friends, and Jad was a stranger, however well they seemed to be hitting it off. He also knew that the day He, himself, and McCenry "settled up", they'd probably end up being friends afterwards. It was often the way of things among men, especially sailors. Seasons aboard a relatively small environment, cramped together with someone that got on your nerves, frequently resulted in such developments. The confrontations and fisticuffs often cleared the air enough to see the good in the man that you hadn't seen before.

Jad was nonetheless hesitant to try to insinuate himself into too deep a friendship now, thinking this man may resist, in deference to his friend, McCenry. But when this man said he thought he knew who the ring belonged to, all hesitance was forgotten. When he went on to name the "Maze's" in particular, Jad was ready to jump up and cheer; ready to thank the man for helping him take the next step towards finding the connection he'd been seeking since he arrived.

And when he said "ye found 'em!" Jad was too stricken with shock to respond right away. He stood, arms raised, but forgotten; mouth hanging open, flapping slowly but silently as it fought for words to express the overwhelming sense of gratitude, wonder and destiny; eyes filling with tears. He'd started to accept that his search for family was going to net nothing, and that his finding of Black Onyx, a job, and a feeling of a home was going to have to suffice.

And it DID suffice. He was happy with the direction his life had taken. But this...THIS was fantastic! This was rapture and celebration! He not only found his family, but found him to be a good man! He had been trying to keep back the worry that he'd find his "family" to be a bum, lying in his own vomit in a gutter somewhere, cursing the world for his own failures, to excuse his own lack of effort to succeed. But here was a friendly, responsible man, with a wife, a child, a sense of humor and a home of his own.

Jad coughed and cleared his throat to get control of his voice. "If there's a God of Good Fortune, I need to go fall on my knees in his temple! I can't believe it. You're my brother, then. Or half-brother, anyway! But that's more than I've ever had before! Do we have a father?" he grimaced at the stupid question, "I mean, is our father alive? Is he here? Are there sisters and uncles and cousins? I need to meet everyone! Oh Gods! Wait 'til I tell Black!"

His voice, raised in glad shouts, cleary demonstrated that he'd forgotten he was in a library.

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on September 2nd, 2014, 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ricky Maze on August 29th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Though he didn't really like to hear about how Gale came off as a total prick and continued to acted in such a manner, he couldn't necessarily deny that Gale did tend to have those periods at best. They were after all close friends and if anybody knew Gale well enough, it had to be Ricky at this point seeing as how he was the only friend that seemed to stick around. All in all it proved to be a rather bitterly amusing story to hear as Ricky managed to both keep his cool and even laugh a little bit here and there, as he couldn't help but be interested in the fact Martin was caught in all of it somehow. He guessed that the child also inherited the graces of misfortune just like his father, which Ricky secretly cast a look of apology to the boy upon thinking it.

Somehow when it came to situations like that Ricky had a knack to somehow be involved, whether it being around or directly in the center of it really. Either way it sounded like everything turned out for the better, seeing as how he remarked that Martin had been laughing at the whole damn thing anyway. The child did so even now when Jadlin prodded him about it, which in turn brought a chuckle out of Ricky as he grinned down at the boy. Martin definitely had his father's spirit alright, something to definitely watch out for as he got older. "Sounds quite like a story." He quoted seeing as how he tended to say that phrase off and on, somehow Ricky always enjoyed to hear such things as they always somehow amused him. Perhaps that's why he felt the need to come to the library today, other than see if he could find any records of the Maze family stored away within the University.

When the moment came where Jad was delivered the news that he'd in fact found the Maze's, Ricky wasn't sure whether to laugh or cringe as he didn't know how the man was going to react to the discovery. When he saw the look on his would be half brother's face though he couldn't resist, and in the moment where he looked petrified in wonder he transitioned to laughing abruptly as Jadlin remarked upon whatever Deity of good fortune existed. The fisherman had to shush him a few times to remind him of where they were, as a few of the people within the room looked over to see what commotion had noisily stirred about. Finally he had a regained some of his seriousness, the smile on his face still present as he noticed Martin still laughed a little until the excitement seemed to die down.

"It's just me and me family 'ere, as far as Oi know anyways." He responded as he looked to the table with a lesser grin on his face, unsure as to whether or not the next half of the news would effect Jadlin or not. "Pa died almost a year ago actually, Oi t'ought t' find out more 'bout any possible siblin's today when Oi came 'ere. Alas de records aren't able t' be accessed by anybody but official University board members." He then looked to Jad once more with calm eyes, the smile on his face humble as he knew this next part would make up for the less exciting news. "We do 'ave sisters t'ough, two o' dem in fact. Both 're in Syliras roi' now, Oi'm not sure if t'ey 'll stay dere or not. Oi only learned o' t'eir existence dis season actually, an' o' yer's t'day seein' as 'ow ya been searchin' fer us." He finished humbly as he watched Jad with interest, his mind wondered as to how they came to be half brothers.

The possibility was by all means there but nowadays it just seemed like the whole world was becoming Ricky's sibling, given that he's meet two sisters and a brother in one whole season. He remembered the story Jadlin told him early and surmised that Burten had to be the one in town at the time, granted the grace of perfect timing as some wench decided to use him for whatever purposes she had in mind. Yet why? Why did Burten keep it a secret? Did he know about Jadlin? No... He knew about Lissa and Billie, as they had letters from Burten before he died. Jad had... a ring. A ring with "M" on it no less, and Burten never owned such a ring as far as Ricky knew. Nor did Jad mention ever getting a letter from Burten, so that could only mean the ring and Jad were something the sailor never anticipated.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jadlin Hayes on September 2nd, 2014, 6:27 am

Jadlin Hayes

Jad was shushed more than once during his regaling of his encounter with Mr. McCenry. He did not let it bother him too much though, and offered apologies each time. "Awww, it's not such story. Nothing any sailor couldn't match every few days at sea."

More apologies were forthcoming as a result of his outburst over the discovery of a half brother. Not so much stemming from the initial outburst, as from his announcement to semi-indignant onlookers that he'd found his brother "...AND NEPHEW!..." after only recently discovering they existed.

The responses were mixed, but only in that half of the patrons that told him to keep it down, did so with smiles on their faces. The glare that the Head Librarian cast his way would have ignited green wood though. "I don't think she likes me." Jad whispered with a conspiratorial grin. "Maybe I'd better sneak that Leeching book to some other table before I leave. She's probably featured in it. That glare felt like it was gonna suck the life out of ME." he chuckled.

His mood was deflated somewhat by the news that the man he figured must be his father was already gone to Lhex. But he couldn't help but remark on the coincidence that his brother had come to the library to search for family...and had FOUND him. He managed to keep it quiet enough to avoid any further recriminations, either from the librarian, or other patrons. "Seriously though, did you find anything yet? I would be very interested if this ring was significant in any way. I mean as far as family history goes. Maybe it could actually be a lead to some information. Do you want to hold onto it for a while? As a reference point?"

He offered it freely, commenting that he'd want it back, of course, but didn't mind loaning it out. Naturally, he wouldn't take any offense if Ricky declined the offer. Jad got a look of only semi-joking annoyance to discover there were sisters in Syliras. "You mean after LEAVING there to come here, searching for family, I get to find out I had them there the whole time? I wish that 'Lykata' lady had told me THAT after the trial. No offense." he added hurriedly, "I mean, I'm glad I came here, but damn...maybe I could have brought them with me. How did you find out about them?"

Before Ricky could answer, Jad added another barrage of questions, regarding their names and ages and appearances, then cut off his brother's chance to answer, joking that he didn't want to know, for fear that they'd turn out to have been his neighbors the whole time. Finally, he smirked, "I guess I may as well know now. If I see them later, it'll still be a shock if they turn out to someone I recognize."

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on September 5th, 2014, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ricky Maze on September 4th, 2014, 6:48 am

Ricky couldn't help but continue to shush, or fail at attempting to, as tried containing his laugh as quietly as possible. The way Jad seemed to be so excited to not just discover his would be family had definitely proved entertaining to the fisherman, and seeing as how he was in fact already an uncle upon discovery made the news even more exciting to realize. Such a reaction somehow really enlightened Ricky all the same, as he definitely had inner feelings that were rather mutual in terms of agreement. He had a brother. An actual brother that came to find him, spent his time searching even as he wanted to discover what it means, to have a family that would take care of you every step of the way.

That's the same kind of family Ricky wanted to have, and now that he was a father it was no doubt happening now. He had a loving wife and an amazing son, and friends that he could always count on when times were tough. That was the idea of a family to him, people that were there together, supporting each other in the ways they know how. There was definitely more to the concept than just these ideas, but all the same Ricky couldn't help but wonder if these same beliefs were somehow similar to what Jadlin wanted as well. He certainly felt inclined with the notion, but given that they'd just met he couldn't easily allow himself to fall into that kind of mindset, at least not this soon anyways. "Can't say Oi blame 'er, since we're bein' a rat'er loud lot." He added to the jest with the woman that glared their way, namely to Jadlin since he was the one to make such commotions.

At the question he couldn't help but slightly frown a bit as he continued to bounce his heel with Martin on his lap, the child occupied with making the same sounds earlier as he quaked repetitively from the motions. "Not a damn t'ing unfortunately, t'ose records 're for personal o' de University only. Doubt de Sailor's Guild would 'ave anyt'in history related on our family name eit'er, so its pretty much like fishin fer gold in de sea." He remarked with a frustrated sigh then, his eyes cast from Martin to the ring Jad presented once more. The offer to borrow it in use had definitely been returned with a smile, as Ricky looked to the younger fellow with sincere eyes and only gently shook his head. "Dat's okay mate, Oi doubt it'd 'elp at dis point. B'sides it 'as much more sentimental value t' ya anyways, it brought ya 'ere t' us 'fter all. Even got ya a place t' call home an' a girl t' find waitin' t'ere no less."

He couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of this one having good fortune out of the whole lot, it seemed as though everyone that Burt fathered did suffer some kind of traumatic event or three before they got anywhere. Hence why he thought it amusing that Jadlin managed to find some place good to reside in, and that the idea of this "family curse" mentioned in one of Burten's letters was either superstition or an actual truth. Ricky laughed then, the surprise that Jad could've encountered their sisters very obvious in his statement. "T' be honest it was completely accidental, as Oi said Oi never knew t'ey existed until Oi met 'em." With the flooding of more questions Ricky couldn't help but genuinely smile, as he wasn't sure if he felt excited or overwhelmed with the curiosity Jad seemed to display.

"Well t'ey're both beautiful young ladies, Lissa bein' de youngest from what Oi know. She 'ad dark hair like me so Oi take it she gets it from Pa, but she 'ad her moms appearances so she definitely got de better bargain dere." He mused with a chuckle. "T'en dere was Billie... t'ough Oi can't remember much 'bout 'er." He quirked with a curious expression, rather conflicted that the memory of her could so easily escape him. "As far as Oi know she was visitin' Syliras Oi t'ink, it's Lissa dat lives dere on 'er own now. Just recently left de orphanage even." He added with slight admiration in regards to how strong she definitely started to sound, making a life of what little you earn was by far not easy after all. That was when he began to wonder something, something about Jad that he couldn't help but reflect on.

Jadlin had the power of shielding so that meant he was able to see shields, but that depended on how skilled he was with them to be sure. At least... that's what Ricky concluded anyway. But what really made him curious about Jadlin was this 'Lykata' lady he mentioned earlier. Was Lykata supposed to be a Deity? Some supernatural being with outstanding power? Or was it a power in its own right, granted by some Deity he didn't know about? Lykata, Lykata. The name wasn't something he knew personally, but felt he should at least be familiar with by some standards. Did he hear the name somewhere else before? He couldn't tell for sure, as Tanroa only knows how bad Ricky's memory generally got nowadays. "Tell me more 'bout dis Lykata lady ye mentioned, what all did she say exactly? Did she mention anyt'in significant 'bout dis ring?" He inquired as he thought there might be more to find here, hopefully his curiosity wasn't too far off and would lead him to discover something else. If was met with yet another dead end, well then at least he tried.

The better part of it though was that he met another sibling, one that definitely looked to be in good hands no less. Even more better was the fact that it was a sibling that showed interest in family, and hopefully in the near future he and Ricky would come to discover what being brothers truly means... since the father never actually had the chance up until now.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jadlin Hayes on September 5th, 2014, 4:50 am

Jadlin Hayes

Jad pondered a chime or so, but shook his head. "Nope, those names don't ring a bell, though we had a "Billy" on 'The Badge" he said, referring to the ship he'd served on, while sailing to Zeltiva. "I doubt you could mistake them for each other though," he added in mock seriousness, "Whipnose Billy' got half of his sliced off by some snapped rigging. It was before I signed on, so I didn't see it happen."

He started laughing softly, shaking his head. "But the guy sure liked to show it off. You'd'a thought it must'a been the proudest day of his life." he sat back, fighting the urge to prop his feet on the library table. "Yeah, it takes all kinds to sail a ship. I'd like to take Black out sailing sometime, see if she's got any kind'a 'Sea Legs'. I'm workin' now, and I figure I'm in the right town to find a decent boat. I'd like it to just be a hobby, ya know? Nothing like bein' a crewman to make you appreciate NOT bein' a crewman!"

Jad refocused at the mention of an orphanage. That was something he felt he could relate to. It wasn't so much any sense of hardship or abuse, so much as abandonment. It was the hurt of having grown up not knowing if your parents knew about you, or cared. In a way, Jad found an odd comfort in hearing that this 'Burten' was dead. It removed the possibility that when he found out he had another son, he'd show that he really HADN'T cared. This way, Jad could convince himself that his father WOULD have loved him, if he'd known about him.

Naturally, this was not a line of thought he had any intention of broaching with Ricky. He had no doubt that the familial relationship THEY shared had been real enough. But even his short stint as a sailor gave him a good idea of how tough it must be for a man to stay in touch.

He was glad for the change of subject, it gave him redirection to what might otherwise have become brooding. "The 'Lykata' Lady?" Jad cupped his chin in his hand, his eyes wandering. "I really don't have much to tell. I'm not sure who or what this 'Lykata' is. She was called at the trial. She kept saying, like, 'the Lykata said this'...or 'the Lykata tells me that'...I don't know if it's a person, or a book...a philosophy, maybe?"

Jad addressed the more specific question his brother asked, "She was called at the trial and spoke of certain items she'd taken 'readings' from. This was all stuff I heard second hand, because I was not at the bench with the rest of the cult. Not after the first day anyway."

He fumbled absently with the ring, turning it on his finger as he spoke. "She brought the ring TO me, at the same time that the advocates told me I was to be released. I was so relieved I don't really remember exactly what she said. Something about the cult not being my family. That was even MORE of a relief." he said with an uneasy chuckle.

"Then she gave me the ring, and said 'The Lykata' told her the ring had belonged to my father, and that I ought to look for my family in Zeltiva. After that it was all about making trip arrangements." his eyes narrowed a moment, "You know, I had just assumed that she meant I would find my father in Zetiva. But I guess, actually, that isn't what she said. Ever since I got here, I've been looking for the owner of this ring, thinking IT was the lead. And now, here I am, bumping into you, and the ring had nothing to do with it."

x
Last edited by Jadlin Hayes on September 13th, 2014, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jadlin Hayes
A Symphony of Synthesis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ricky Maze on September 13th, 2014, 6:19 am

Ricky shook his head in controversy with the fact that the Billie and the "Billy" weren't the same folk, with a short laugh made in the process of a corrective fact that allowed him to establish that their Billie was in fact a woman. "Tw' different people mate, besides de Billie Oi met doesn't remind me o' de one yer speakin' o'. She... damn, Oi can't really remember 'er. But Oi know from what Lissa told me dat she's our sister too." He cleared up with a gentle smile as to make sure the topic wasn't taken aggressively in terms of argumentation, seeing as how it was easy for one to sometimes consider the tone of others and misinterpret the intent behind their expression.

With the transition in the subject topic made Ricky's brows would furrow a little, his mind wrapped around the very words that Jad repeated when it came to this "Lykata Lady" he spoke about. By the sound of it the Lykata had to be some form of power or intelligent being, some sort of force that worked on the collection of information or something. That was what Ricky could guess anyway, it wasn't improbable this was some sort of Divine Power gifted on a mortal. That's right, it could've been a Gnosis. Though he wasn't all to familiar with them, Ricky knew well enough that they existed and each was different, based on whatever God or Goddess decided to grant them. Ricky smiled a bit when Jadlin expressed his gravity of relief upon learning about his release from both court and the cult, a part of him felt glad to know that the young man could let that connection go so easily.

Then again he probably never wanted it to begin with, given that he was only born out of a necessity for their... 'rituals'. Did yew know 'bout dis Pa? Is it possible ye knew dis boy was yer son? He wondered but he somehow knew that answer already, seeing as how the story didn't have a different ending compared to what Jad told. Ricky knew good and well, Burten would've saved Jadlin had he'd known. He was just that kind of man, that kind of parent that would do anything he could to save his own flesh and blood. So why didn't he bring the others back to Zeltiva? He knew Lissa and Billie existed and Billie's twin brother too, so why only write letters about how much regret you felt? Why not do something better about it and bring everyone home? It made little sense to Ricky now that he thought about, even worse he wished he actually could see the records the University might've held.

"Oi'd like t' t'ink ot'erwise." Ricky protested with a humble smile on his face. "De ring was de cause t' reassure ya family lived 'ere, it may not 'ave brought ya t' de original owner, but it helped ya find someone close to it an' dat was enough." When he finished explaining his reasoning he chuckled a little, a glance cast from Jadlin down to Martin as the child proceeded to chew on his fingers, and of course slobber all over them in the process. "Ye 'ave a 'ome, a family, an' a lass t' yer self 'ere, if anyt'in dat ring 's been good luck fer ya mate." Ricky took the bottom of his shirt and used it to wipe Martin's mouth as well as the boys hand, with little mind paid to the wet spots on his shirt made now due to the drool. He then returned to looking at Jad as he changed Martin around to where his son was cradled in his arms, the child not happy with the change as he struggled a bit for a chimes worth.

It was a little nerve wrecking seeing as how Ricky had to calm the child down before he would wind up crying loudly in the library, but given it was definitely that time of day where the baby needed a nap Ricky felt inclined to start it now. The father himself could use a nap, now that he'd thought more about it. "So what'cha plannin' t' do now mate? Given dat we're both brot'ers Oi t'ink we're gonna be seein' each ot'er a bit more often." Ricky suggested with a hint of a smile on his face, of course he was focused on rocking Martin so the child would eventually fall asleep in his arms.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext