[An Elegant Weave]Searching for New Threads

Shane goes shopping for clothes... and destiny!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Shane Wallsly on August 28th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Timestamp: 81st of Summer, 514 AV

Shane was loathe to spend money on luxuries like clothing when he had a perfectly good set already on his back. However he was lacking a scarf and the Fall was approaching. He predicted many windy days in his future and he despised the cold. Business was doing extremely well too so Shane felt almost as if he deserved a small treat. After all there was really no point in wealth unless one was willing to use it. Shane hadn't had the need to buy clothes in a while. His last growth spurt had occurred at age sixteen and he was always careful not to damage his clothing in any way. Even so his clothes were starting to get a little bit worn and perhaps there were a few holes or rips here and there.

He had resigned himself to buy at least a whole new outfit for professional purposes and for that purpose there was only one place the people of Syliras went. The Elegant Weave was perhaps one of the most aptly named shops in the city. Everything from their style to their employees were constantly elegant. It was good marketing and nice clothing. As he stepped through the door into the shop it was almost like stepping into a different world. From the grimy streets of Syliras to the colourful menagerie of clothing and fabrics that was the Elegant Weave. Shane couldn't help but compare the colour explosion to the world of auras. It was certainly the closest thing he'd ever saw to the technicolour wonderland of auras. The irony, of course, was that if Shane were to call upon the sense now what he would most see would be greys for grey was the colour of the inanimate and that's what most of these things were aside from the odd tailor or salesperson here and there.

Shane wandered up to the nearest selection of clothes. He looked through them for a moment before realising they were dresses and moving quickly on. Dresses looked different when not being worn. He came to some scarves next. This was what he really wanted. A nice scarf to replace his old one. The memory of that day tried to come crashing back to him but he held it at bay. It was best not to think about these things. He'd already made his mind up about it. There was no more point in sadness.

He began to try on the different scarves. Some he found just weren't his colour. Others he felt were too long or too short. A rare amount he found itchy or scratchy. These scarves were nothing like his old scarf. Perhaps he was being too nostalgic for his old scarf. It had been a piece of his identity; a piece of his look. His identity was changing so why shouldn't his scarf change? Why bother buying a new outfit if all he wanted to do was stay the same.

He put the scarf he had been trying on down and frowned. He was thinking too much. They were only clothes. He looked around for something else that would catch his eye but eventually he just ended up staying where he was and looking mildly thoughtful. Of all the things he'd done in his life he'd never expected clothes shopping to get him down.
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Sydelle Faraway on August 28th, 2014, 11:48 pm

Image'You're dawdling,’ the mental chastisement had the ring of her mother’s voice to it, and Syd almost spun around to search for the older woman before remembering where she was. But she had to acknowledge the truth of the sentiment; she was dawdling. The temptation had been too much to resist today, and without intending to, Syd found herself wandering among the racks trying to look as though she had a purpose in doing so. In reality, the morning’s alterations had been an impressive pile of brown cotton trousers, and Syd had grown tired of the monotony. She wanted to feel silk and leather, hear the tinkle of tiny bells and feel the artful embroidery that other, more advanced seamstresses had done.

But she was also feeling the tiniest bit guilty about the remaining small stack of trousers she had left behind still awaiting alteration, and so, when she saw the young man looking just the tiniest bit confused by scarves, Syd hesitated only briefly before deciding to offer some help. 'Might as well make yourself useful, if you're going to be out here.' Presence on the sales floor justified, she waster no time crossing over to the gentleman.

”Hello. In the market for a new scarf?” Sydelle offered the young man a game smile; if she wasn't sure what she was doing, there was no reason to let him know that. Picking up a scarf at random from the table, she unfolded its length and offered it to him. "This one is lovely, don't you think?"

The thick scarf draped softly over her hand, and Sydelle considered the texture to be a small reward of its own. A fine wool that was just asking to be petted, dyed a deep blue, it made up fully for the bells spent pulling needle and thread through dull cotton trousers all morning. While she held it, appreciating the feel, she made a quick study of the man in front of her.

Dark hair and light eyes, clothes that hadn't been new in some time, though they were clean enough. The signs of wear and age gave Sydelle another idea. If she couldn't manage to sell him on a scarf, maybe she could convince him to bring a few things in for repair?
Sydelle Faraway
Player

Words: 33563
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2014, 6:31 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Shane Wallsly on August 29th, 2014, 12:59 am

Shane turned upon hearing a voice behind him. He turned to see a young lady whom he would have guessed to be around the same age as he. From her professional smile to the way that she was dressed it seemed self evident to Shane that she worked here. That and he could spot a sales person anywhere and any time. After all he had worked as a pseudo-sales person for almost a year and the memory was quite fresh in his mind as he had only quit at the end of the previous Winter.

“Yes...” He said drawing out the 'es' a little as his mind came up with what to say next. “I had a scarf that was very dear to me but I, uh, well it got a bit covered in...” Shane decided not to finish that sentence. Telling a girl he had just met that he'd thrown away his last scarf because it was covered in blood probably wasn't the best idea even if it had only gotten covered in blood when he was trying to save someone's life. “I had to throw it out.”

She picked up a nice blue scarf that he hadn't seen before. It was a nice colour. “Do you mind..?” He asked as he reached out his hand to pet the scarf. It felt quite nice. It was surely thick enough also to do it's function. “It is a very nice scarf. You've got nice taste, miss..?” He took his hand off the scarf and instead held it out to her. “Ah, oops. Never polite to ask for a name before you give your own. Shane Wallsy it is. I mean well that's my name.” Shane was not his usual confident self. Of course not many people would call Shane confident even when he thought he was being so.

Shane studied her for a moment while his hand hovered in the air waiting to be shook. She had perfect emerald set eyes, they twinkled, and sleek almost black hair. There was a sense of adventure in those eyes. It was disguised beneath her current intent of sale but he could see them and he didn't even need to use his magical senses. She intrigued him somewhat.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sydelle Faraway on August 29th, 2014, 1:51 am

ImageSyd nodded politely as he started talking about his other scarf. Though she kept her smile in place, her mind hooked on the words he hadn't said. 'Covered in what? Food? Dirt? Shyke? A plague of bugs?' Though it wasn't strictly appropriate in the current situation, she bit her lip against the involuntary giggle threatening to escape, hoping the man was too busy inspecting the scarf to notice her lapse in manners.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Wallsly," she replied. Syd wasn't sure how formal a sales clerk was supposed to be, but she figured it wouldn't hurt to err on the side of caution. Draping the scarf over one arm, she reached her hand out for the expected greeting, grasping his hand lightly with her own. A childhood of farming and sewing had left its mark on her skin, a fact Syd was not unaware of - and one she was slightly self-conscious about. As soon as politeness would allow, she withdrew her hand, ending the contact.

"I'm Sydelle Faraway. Syd for short. Or Syddie, if you happen to be my mom." At this, Syd forced her lips shut. Babbling on like a fool was not the best sales tactic. Even she knew that. After a breath, she tried again. "As to taste - well, you'd be hard-pressed to find a scarf here that wasn't of superior quality and design. Though, I admit, I'm partial to this blue - reminds me of the sky at night," she smiled at the sentiment. "But maybe you'd prefer something else? Different colors, p'rhaps?"

Laying the blue scarf down with a final stroke, Sydelle picked up one done in multiple shades of green. The wool was a bit coarser, but still comfortable to the touch; it was a more vibrant option, and she raised an eyebrow at Shane inquiringly.

"I believe some of these have matching gloves, too, if you'd be interested," she added, nodding to a small selection of gloves nearby. It was an inspired idea, and Sydelle was quite pleased with herself for working the suggestion in. Maybe if she got tired of the needle-and-thread side of things, Navia would let her try a hand at sales.
Sydelle Faraway
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Shane Wallsly on August 30th, 2014, 11:47 am

Call me Shane, if you like.” He replied with a friendly smile. Her hand was rougher than he might have expected. They were too rough simply to be the product of sewing. He guessed that she must have come from a family of labourers. The obvious, and most common, type of labourers around were farmers. He couldn't really see her lifting crates at the docks anyway or being a hardy mercenary. She lacked the mouth of a sailor or the scars of a warrior. Farmer seemed the best guess.

He couldn't suppress a little smile as she revealed a little too much about her naming options. He remembered what his mother used to call him and before he could reign himself in it was spoken. “I know how mothers are. Ny own called me Shaney. Well, she like to add little at the front too so it was always 'little Shaney'.” For a moment the memory was too fresh in his mind and he stopped really paying much attention to the world as he was lost in nostalgia. It was just for a moment however and the memory was gone again; lost in the deeper recesses of his mind once more.

She had picked up another scarf now and Shane had lost what it was she had said. Something about superior taste etc etc. The new scarf was too striking. He didn't like to stand out from the crowd. However he had already defined himself as an Aurist to the community. It was this speciality, this moderately rare quality, that was his living now. Perhaps he ought to stick out from the crowd.

Shane picked up the blue scarf and draped it over one arm. “I think I'll take this blue one.” He told Sydelle firmly before adding “But I would like to keep the green one in mind. I'm not sure if it fits my style and yet I think my style is changing.” He was intensely aware that his words were sounding stiff and formal. “Umm, can you show me those gloves? I had gloves for my last job but they were thick, leather gloves made for protection rather than style. They did do a good job of keeping my hands warm but they just aren't suitable for wear outside of work.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sydelle Faraway on August 30th, 2014, 1:46 pm

ImageIt was with a mixture of gratification and regret that Sydelle watched Shane lay claim to the blue scarf. On the one hand, it was nice to discover she had some small talent for selling clothes. On the other hand, she'd half-hoped the young man would go for the green - so that she could buy the blue one for herself. But she had to admit, the blue made a nice contrast with his dark hair and light eyes.

"Great choice. Shane." She added the name as an afterthought, both because it felt awkward not to use it after he'd given it and because Sydelle just naturally hated the barriers formed by titles. "The gloves are just over here," she said, leading the way to the table. "Did you say you needed them for work, then? Or just cold weather?"

While she listened for his answer, Sydelle inspected the table. It was a small display, currently, whether because of a lack of supply or seasonal demand, the seamstress wasn't sure. Probably there wasn't a brisk market for gloves in the summer. A quick scan of the table showed nothing in a shade identical to the scarf Shane now carried, and Syd's brow creased in mild frustration; of course it couldn't be that simple. But maybe he wouldn't want blue gloves, anyway?

"Ah, we don't seem to have anything in that shade, I'm afraid," she informed him, with a tone of regret. Impulsively, she plucked up a pair of dark brown gloves. They were leather, but supple, and lined in fur, which she couldn't help but run her thumb across. 'That's it - first day off, I am going to shop.' The thought was fleeting, but Syd knew it was something she'd definitely be making time for.

But the gloves were certainly stylish, which he'd mentioned had been an issue with his last gloves. "But these would be a nice match. Or we do have some woolen sets, as well...?" One hand offered up the leather gloves while the other hovered near the table, awaiting Shane's input. Sydelle was finding the sales experience to be both frustrating and fun - though she wanted to walk around the store petting every fabric and trying on clothes of every color, it was a nice change to be offering advice to other people, too.
Sydelle Faraway
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Madeira Dusk on April 21st, 2018, 2:33 am

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Shane Wallsly

Skills
  • Planning: 1xp
  • Observation: 3xp
  • Socialization: 2xp
  • Logic: 1xp

Lores
  • Planning: looking ahead to the season change
  • Logic: using deduction to guess profession

Awards & Retribution

Notes

Sydelle Faraway

Please contact me for your grade!
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)