A career as a courier

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

A career as a courier

Postby Shakune on September 7th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Hello, Mizaharians!

Since I've developed this PC, I've always imagined her being a courier as a job (it fits her flighty nature, and gives her an excuse to travel). So I'm just wondering... What sort of things would she deliver?

I'm aware there's a letter delivery system in Miz, so would it be possible for her to work under this business/corporation... Or would it be more person-to-person parcels, such as birthday presents, or something? I just wanted to check before I start threading, as I don't want to have her deliver X when she would only be delivering Y.

Thanks for the advice :)
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 281911
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2014, 10:43 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

A career as a courier

Postby Zhol on September 8th, 2014, 12:56 am

Are you thinking of deliveries within one city (eg. delivering the mail in Syliras), or carrying packages/messages from city to city (eg. delivering mail from Syliras to Ravok)?

You may already know this (sorry if you do!), but it's worth taking a peek at the [lore]travel times[/lore] page in the lore wiki. Travelling from place to place on Mizahar is not a speedy business - just to travel between two major cities like Syliras and Ravok, that's a trip of 70-80 days... and it takes twice as long in winter.

There are faster ways of getting around than just hoofing it from place to place, but travel is intentionally a pretty slow affair (to add realism), and those faster methods might not be affordable to you as someone just starting out, with only the gold from her starter package, etc. You may end up spending quite a lot of each season travelling from A to B, without necessarily having much time to post at B before you need to leave again and travel off to C.

Something to bear in mind! :)
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

A career as a courier

Postby Shakune on September 8th, 2014, 7:48 am

Hi Zhol,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm probably going to focus more on within-city deliveries, for the exact reasons you said. Obviously I will have my PC leave a city at some point, but not too often as it would just be her plodding through the world of Mizahar and probably getting eaten alive :)
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A career as a courier

Postby Xira Hezmek on September 8th, 2014, 9:26 am

Hello Shakune!

As a player who recently set up a Courier business, I can perhaps shed a bit of insight on what you are looking for. The courier system in mizahar is relatively informal as of late, with no developed courier systems in place beyond Nyka's courier business and my own (Even then its not so much a courier system as just a business). So generally, after you contact your local storyteller about the job (the exact details on how couriers work vary from city to city), the player will meet with the person and give the courier the letter or package and away the courier will go. So she would deliver anything that one could imagine! From letters, to birthday presents, to exotic living plants!

Most couriers tend to be inner city, due to the nature of intercity travel discussed above. But as Shakune gets wilderness survival and land navigation (This is what most Storytellers base the courier wages off), she should be able to travel easier, sooner!

Hope that helps!
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

A career as a courier

Postby Shakune on September 8th, 2014, 11:19 am

Brilliant! Thanks, Xira. Really appreciate you shedding light onto this issue. So there's nothing stopping Shakune delivering even the most menial letters (birthday card, anyone?), which is what I was hoping to be case :)

Thanks to both of your for you help :D

[/left]
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes