Flashback The wheel keeps spinning

The future rests in the cards. (Ora pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

The wheel keeps spinning

Postby Estrellir Konrath on April 4th, 2014, 12:15 pm

Summer 11, 504 AV
The Silent Garden

Surrounded by gracious and peaceful Konti, Estrellir couldn’t help but feel strangely detached. Although they called her sisters and she adopted that custom quickly, she still couldn’t shake the impression that her education had left out significant parts of Konti culture. The lifestyle she experienced in Mura was so different from Kenash that she found herself trembling with what seemed to be some sort of culture shock after her arrival.

The longer she stayed, however, the better she adjusted to local customs and philosophy. The flow of time slowed down as she admired the beauty of the island – the fact that dates flew by more quickly didn’t mean anything anymore. As a Konti, she had time and she could take it to do whatever she fancied.

That said, Estrellir was still a Konrath, Kenashern Dynasty. If she didn’t take something from her stay with her when she returned, she’d be ashamed of herself. So she tried to learn as much as possible about her sisters and their old home. If she did her best every day, she was sure no chime of her stay would be wasted. That particular day everything was clear as the sky, both outside the window and in her head. After eating a light breakfast of fruit and fish, she slipped over a white dress and sandals. She hesitated a bit before taking the pack of cards from the table. Tarot was a curious thing, not really a game, yet made up of cards. Her neighbor had lent it to her when Estrellir had inquired about ways of fortune telling.

Konti Isle was a beautiful place to live at during all seasons, but the most pleasant in summer. Barefoot, with only a waterskin and the cards in her backpack, Estrellir felt like nothing could darken her mood that day. She wandered through the city proper for a while, occasional breeze tugging at her white locks, before she decided to check out a location she had never entered before: the Silent Garden.

Contrary to their sisters in Kenash, the Konti of Mura took their time with everything they did. Estrellir, having absorbed their spirit almost involuntarily, had discovered a particular tendency to go on strolls. Although her routes appeared to lack a destination, they were more like circles, closing in on a single spot she eventually settled down at. Like that, she explored the Silent Garden too. After a great deal of walking, admiring the harmony in plants, water and architecture, she sank into the grass halfway up a hill opposite the bridge that stood at its center.

Taking out the Tarot cards, she weighed them in her hand and listened to doubts rushing through her mind. Mere pieces of paper… how could they possess power to foretell the future? Then again, who was she to question the mysterious ways in which Avalis worked? Despite her reasonable disposition, Estrellir still believed in the divine Mother’s power. But cards?

With a small sigh, she recalled the explanation her friendly neighbor had given. First: shuffle the deck. Her fingers felt clumsy as she started and became more flexible in time. Still, a few cards fluttered into the grass in the process. She tried to pick them up without looking, feeling like a child compelled to cheat at a silly game. Just as she finished, a single card fell to the ground.

Upon turning it around, the picture drawn on it captured her attention. She couldn’t help but stare at it for a while, a great wooden wheel surrounded by four animals. At that point, she remembered neither the card’s name nor its meaning, but simply admired the artwork. It spoke to her in a way she couldn’t grasp, as if in a foreign language.
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

The wheel keeps spinning

Postby Ora Sa'vina on April 7th, 2014, 7:39 pm

She stood down by the water, her toes pressed into the thick, rich mud along the waterways beaches. Ora’s toes wiggled, moving the slick substance between the digits and around the webbing there. Purple eyes looked down at her pale feel, glimmering in spots with the mark of being Laviku’s daughter. It was a quiet day along the waterway, a few of her sisters were a ways down, swimming in the water. Her hands were clasped behind her back, carefully holding a little bundle wrapped in cloth.

Her mother had given her the bundle. “Go practice, go find somewhere peaceful and practice. You’re already quite good at it. Don’t let that talent go to waste,” Her fingers squeezed the cloth covered rectangle. She was still so young, just starting to reach the age where adulthood was upon the horizon. However, little Ora felt anything but an adult. She wanted to dance, swim, and spend time with her sisters. There was no desire in her breast to leave the happy island of white.

Lilac eyes moved from the contrast of black on white to look up to the grassy knolls that surrounded her. Go and practice… That was what he mother wished of her, and above all, Ora loved her mother and listened to her suggestions and saw them to fruition. The dancer moved smoothly, her feet slick with mud as she walked from the embankment to the grass. Ora was slow about her motions, getting most of the mud off her flesh as she walked. There was still the darkened patches of mud that would remain unless she took a rag and water to it.

The konti moved without a real destination, wandering the knolls as she searched for a spot that caught her and pulled her to it. Her hands were before her now, holding the little bundle like a precious toy, kept close and well within her grasp. The young woman walked across the bridge, smiling to her sisters as she passed, greeting them in quiet ways if they were so inclined for it. Ora had grown up with these women; she tended to know which were more keen on happy greetings and which preferred their own quiet solace.

Ora quietly crossed the bridge, her eyes moving slowly across the land, rolling over hills and pausing at the plants until her eyes landed upon another sister. Most sisters Ora knew, a few visited, a few were new. The one Ora saw was new, at least, newer. She’d seen her about, as if adjusting. A cat that had been raised among dogs suddenly surrounded by cats. She seemed to fit in, one to keep more to herself than anything else.

Purple eyes remained upon her form as she settled on the side of a hill within view of the bridge. It wasn’t until the cards came into view that Ora truly took interest in her, her grip upon the little bundle she held tensed as she watched the woman try to shuffle the cards. Ora moved off the bridge, towards the hill as the woman shuffled her cards. A few cards slipped from her grasp, falling to the ground around her. She picked them up blindly, continuing with her shuffling. A little smile perked Ora’s features as she watched, her movements becoming slower as she grew closer.

Once the other Konti had finished shuffling, a single card fell from the stack and landed in the grass. It was plucked easily from the ground, but rather than being integrated back into the deck, she held it and admired it for a long while. It was as if it spoke to her, called to her. The young Konti approached, walking up the hill at the woman’s side, lilac eyes trying to peek at the card she held.

She caught a glimpse. A circle, surrounded by four creatures. The little konti smiled and looked to the elder one who she stood near to now. “The wheel of fortune. Be it wondrous or terrible, there is change in the air.” Her fingers still grasped her own little deck, wrapped in cloth. “I’m Ora. Have you ever read cards before?”
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Words: 157067
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2010, 2:18 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The wheel keeps spinning

Postby Estrellir Konrath on April 8th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Estrellir had heard approaching footsteps in the grass, although she hadn’t paid attention until they halted near her. As the other raised her voice, however, her head jerked up abruptly. That particular Konti looked young, her eyes dark against white skin and her hair short compared to most sisters.

The conformity in appearance still tended to irritate Estrellir – even though she knew it from the female side of her family. “I’m Estrellir and I haven’t… although you seem to have guessed that. Obviously I can’t even shuffle properly.” For a moment the shadow of a smile touched her face.

Then her gaze returned to the card in her hand and the girl’s words repeated in her head. Change in the air. Through various gifts, Avalis taught Her children nothing happened without reason. Did that mean the card told her current situation or about her basic personality? Which was it? Estrellir hoped she’d be able to choose a path for herself soon. Perhaps that’d happen during her stay in Mura. Anyway, she’d learn and study a lot, be around for another couple of years at least.

At that moment she was eager to take another step. “You speak like you’re familiar with those cards. If you’ve no other obligations, would you show me how to use them?” The familiarity between sisters was another thing that tasted strange on her tongue and sounded stiff. To request without worrying about giving back. Slowly, ever so slowly, she got used to it though and slipped into the pattern herself.

Konti Isle, so peaceful, so full of natural grace. Estrellir admired all the sisters she met, one way or another. Thus she found herself admiring little Ora too. Something in her movements and gestures seemed different, more refined.
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

The wheel keeps spinning

Postby Ora Sa'vina on April 10th, 2014, 1:30 pm

The young konti smiled to the other and shrugged her shoulders softly. “I’m not one to judge. Perhaps you’re the most talented tarot reader on the island.. Just not the most talented shuffler.” Her voice was light, optimistic, as the little woman so often was. Estrellir was quite lovely, as all of Ora’s sisters were, her hair was long and her dark violet eyes were compared in Ora’s mind to the dark pearls that were often quite prized.

She was still quite childish at the young age of 16, much of the world was a mystery and her naïve nature was almost painted across her face. “I haven’t seen you on the isle before, Estrellir. Did you recently return?” She seemed oddly pleased that another sister had come to the isle, it wasn’t that Ora disliked those already on the isle, but new faces meant new experiences and stories—And Ora always did enjoy a good story.

At the other Konti’s question, Ora held forward her own little bundle of cloth-wrapped cards. “Yes, I am… A bit more familiar with reading tea, but also with tarot cards. Not everyone likes tea after all…” She looked a little disappointed in her own realization, as Ora adored tea. “Oh, of course!” She was delighted, help a fellow sister? Especially one she hadn’t met before? Well! Her little day had turned into quite the adventure without her even trying! “What sort of sister would I be if I were to not help you?”

She fell to the ground rather gracefully, her legs folding under her as her form pressed into the soft grass. Light fingers pulled out her own deck of cards, carefully unwrapping the cloth and setting it out across her lap like a napkin. “Shuffling can be hard, it’s best to keep a firm grip on the cards but not too firm or they go everywhere,” The Konti held out her cards, split into two sections, holding the cards length wise between thumbs and forefingers. “Shuffling is important when reading tarot cards, especially for yourself…” Her thumb touched nails as her fingers tensed, muscles in the back of her hands push forward as the cards bent.

The cards began to move, slipping from her fingers and meshing together, mixing as they hit her lap, remaining in a neat grouping. “You always shuffle your cards when you wish to give yourself a reading. You shuffle and you shuffle… Then—It sounds strange but…--You’ll feel like you’re done shuffling… As if they are ready.” Lilac eyes looked up meekly, a small smile upon her lips. “And then you can read your cards,” Her eyes returned to her cards, splitting them again to shuffle once more. She fell quiet, shuffling her cards again and again, glancing up to Estrellir from time to time. “When you place your cards… There are different ways you can put them to learn different things. Here,” The Konti began to flip her own cards and set them in the grass, setting out three all beside one another. “Past,” She touched the first card. “Present” The middle care. “And future” The final card in the line.

The young konti motioned to her fellow sister. “Go on an set yours out, I’ll help you read them if you like.”
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The wheel keeps spinning

Postby Estrellir Konrath on April 14th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Estrellir raised her eyebrows in disbelief. Shuffling came from practice just as reading the cards seemed to if she believed all sisters she’d questioned on the topic. Even one such as her, having grown up in a different place, knew as much.

Yet she recognized the small joke and took it for what it was. Instead of commenting further, she dragged her mind from the future to the past to answer the young one’s question. “That’s precisely because I’ve never been to the Isle before. I was born and raised in Kenash, but I came to visit and learn from my sisters in our old home.” She saw no need to return the question. One who acted and spoke like Ora did had probably never set foot on the mainland.

Then her attention shifted to the bundle of cloth in the other’s hands she hadn’t noticed before. The way it was shaped and how she held it revealed the secret of its content easily. As Ora accepted her request and settled down, Estrellir moved a bit to make room for her. It wasn’t like the gardens didn’t provide enough room for many more sisters to sit and talk, but the gesture of respect and acceptance came naturally. Perhaps that was what she’d observed for seasons and what had seeped into her blood almost without notice. The kindness of her sisters had started to influence her behavior and speech too. “Thank you, I’d really appreciate it. Perhaps they’re simply oblivious to fortune lying in tea. At least I didn’t know you could read from it.”

As Ora began to instruct her, Estrellir shut her mouth while carefully observing every word and gesture. After putting back the Wheel of Fortune, she tried to shuffle the cards just as the other Konti did. Was she meant to bend them that much? Yet she separated them into two stacks and mixed them together by using pressure in her thumbs. Sometimes a big part of one stack would fall before the other, but she simply repeated the process again and again. When Ora stopped, she stopped too. At that point, the cards felt strangely tense and heavy with promise.

Blinking, Estrellir laid out three cards like Ora suggested: past to the left, present in the middle and future to the right. With trembling fingertips, she turned them around one after another and looked. The pictures were beautiful and vibrant with color, but they didn’t tell her anything. Seeking Ora’s gaze, she ran a hand through her hair nervously. “I’m afraid I don’t know how to read them at all. What do they mean?”

OOCIt'd be awesome if you could come up with three cards for Est. That way it'd be kind of determined by chance since you don't know her as well as I do. Also, I probably don't know Tarot as well as you do!
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

The wheel keeps spinning

Postby Ora Sa'vina on May 14th, 2014, 2:50 pm

Image “Oh! Kenash!” Ora couldn’t quite recall where Kenash was or what it was known for—however, it was something new and exciting. She wanted to ask all about this place she’d never been, but it seemed a conversation for a different time. “Well, sisters are always welcome back to the island, even if they have not been here before. I am glad you came home. I hope you’re enjoying it here.” She smiled again, her youth becoming apparent in basic mannerisms.

Ora nodded and shrugged slightly. “Reading tea is so casual, always relaxed and calm… Cards feel a little stiff to me. More like a lecture than a conversation.” She twisted her lips and she thought over her own words. “Each sister has a preference for what they like. Some don’t like any sort of fortune telling… But Avalis blesses each of us,” Ora looked from her three cards over to Estriller’s. Hers were laid out neatly in the way she’d instructed. I’m afraid I don’t know how to read them at all. What do they mean?

The young Konti smiled and looked at the pictures. “Well… You’re going to have to learn what each picture means, remember the symbols you see so you recall the name and meaning—that’s the hardest part.” She looked at the past card, a pale finger resting on the top of it. “This is your past. This card is called The Hermit. It has to do with trying your hardest, being alone and even seeking that loneliness. So, in your past, there’s been isolation, introspection, retreat… Those sorts of things.” Her lilac eyes moved to the middle card, a finger resting upon the heavy paper with the beautiful image. “This is your present,” Ora’s head tilted for a moment as she smiled slightly at the familiar card. It had—just a moment ago—been on the ground. “Seems this card wants you to see it.” Her eyes shifted to looked up at the elder Konti. “Wheel of fortune is your present card. It represents luck, turning points, destiny…” She lifted the card to examine the image of animals and the wheel in the center of the card. “You’re at a crossroads, and this is when you get to make a choice, you’re standing in the middle and making your choice.” Ora held out the card to Estriller. “Maybe you should keep ahold of that one.”

Her attention moved to the last card, the image was a grotesque one, one often associated with fear and endings. “Death. Your future holds death, but don’t worry,” Ora smiled. “Death is not something to fear. Death represents rebirth, transitions, life cycles, endings and beginnings. Death is more than an end, and must be viewed from all angles. A door in your life may close, but another will open.” Ora sat up straight and looked over at the woman. “Perhaps you have more personal input you can put into these cards than I ever could…” She turned to her cards, flipping them all over at looking at them in silence for a moment.

Past showed the Sun, present showed Judgment and future showed death. “Seems we both are looking at change.” Ora said quietly before shuffling her cards back together.
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The wheel keeps spinning

Postby Estrellir Konrath on May 16th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Estrellir nodded to the explanation of tea and card reading, more as a sign of hearing and understanding than anything else. The last words were certainly true. Some were called by Rak’keli rather than Avalis. Some, quite a few of her Konrath sisters, chose an entirely different path by practicing weapon and martial arts styles with their Akalak relatives. Estrellir herself wouldn’t call fortune telling a passion, yet its subtle way of telling knowledge and possibility intrigued her.

As Ora pointed out each cards and explained the meaning, Estrellir slowly began to understand the heart of reading Tarot. Each card stood for a principle or idea with a broad meaning that was narrowed down and further interpreted based on the situation and life of the person it described. Leaning forward, she looked at the cards and followed her sister’s interpretation.

The Hermit didn’t come as a surprise. It was past, after all, things already experienced and lived through. As a young girl, she’d preferred solitude and devising private games instead of socializing and adhering to the rules of society. Kenash had a ton of rules. In time she learned each and every one, but her odd mind was always looking for opportunities to avoid or undermine those rules. She didn’t want to tread the easy path. Thus she’d become a hermit even among family in her hometown.

Next came the present, a familiar painting. The corners of her mouth twitched as Estrellir considered Ora’s words. Change it was, possibilities and choices, but no promises. She’d have to find out for herself where to turn at the crossroads. Only Avalis knew which path stood for growth and which for destruction. “Wheel of Fortune. It has a nice ring to it, if nothing else.” Taking the offered card and turning it in her hands, Estrellir directed her attention towards the only one left.

That picture was painted in dark shades and hardly any color, but Estrellir remained calm in expression and body language. Konti were granted the gift of long life, but at its end was still death. Ora’s words hinted at a slightly different meaning too. “So it doesn’t have to be literal death, right? It could also be a part of me dies and is replaced by something new?”

Then she observed the other Konti’s cards with mild interest. Even to her, the pictures reminded her of her own three. The last was exactly the same. “I hope death doesn’t stand at the end of every reading. Otherwise these cards would be quite useless in the one aspect most people wish to know about.”

Light sarcasm drifted through her voice like a white cloud through the summer sky. Like Ora, she picked up her cards and shuffled them once. With the Wheel of Fortune still in her lap, she spread them out into a fan shape. Long fingers picked a random card and presented it to Ora. “What does this one mean?” It depicted a queen holding a sword.
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

The wheel keeps spinning

Postby Traverse on September 18th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Estrellir

Experience:

• Fortune Telling 3
  • Land Navigation 1
  • Observation 3
  • Socialization 2

Lores:

• Taking the time to enjoy the beauty and tranquility of Mura
  • Acquaintance: Ora
  • The Basics of Card Shuffling
  • The Many Meanings of Tarot Cards

Ora

Ora if you return and are looking for a grade, let me know and I'll get you one as soon as possible :)

Additional Notes :
I always enjoy reading threads involving Tarot because i know the teeniest amount about it. If you were looking for more specific card lores for Estrellir let me know, a shame this thread had to get cut short.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)