Closed Fastball Special (Ball)

Our hero and his trusted squire venture out for some special training.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Fastball Special (Ball)

Postby Markus Andres on February 18th, 2014, 3:12 pm

7th of Winter 513 AV

Markus pulled the dark blue cloak tighter around him as he moved into the forest. He was not alone, for behind him, either rolling or walking, Markus didn't bother to turn and look, his squire followed. The knight wore his heavy plate armour under the dark blue cloak. As a precaution, Markus always wore heavy armour when dealing with his squire. He was beginning to understand the lump of clay, yet did still not trust him enough to not permanently cripple Markus in some nonsensical bout of rage. Especially considering what Markus was planning on telling him today. Outside the cloak hung his shield, a heater shield that had seen its fair share of combat. By his left side hung a pair of blades, the larger blade was his bastard blade cleverly nicked 'The bastard' by the young knight. The other blade was a gift from his ex girlfriend Fallon, a cold iron dagger he had yet to give a name. It was his usual attire when leaving the city for training purposes, left him capable of dealing with most trouble that ventured close enough to the city. Markus did not bring the two far into the forest, that'd be foolish. He looked about the area. There were a small clearing ahead. He could see several tree stumps sticking out from the ground and that explained the clearing.

"This place looks good. So, Ball, I must be honest. You have been a tough nut to crack. On your own in a fight, you are a formidable foe to deal with, however when you become a knight, you will not be fighting on your own. You will be a part of a wing, expected to work together as a unit." Markus took a pause to look around the area again. It was a lightly forested area. Trees were tall and standing many feet apart. Several tree stumps were about and clear marks of them being dragged towards Syliras could be seen. This area would work excellently. The tree crowns were naked and the ground was solid. Would not be pleasant training for either of them, but Markus had to test his theory.

"So I have been thinking of ways to utilize your strengths when it comes to small unit tactics. Your role in a unit would be disrupting the enemy from getting organized. If engaged in a shield wall, you will get behind them, hammer in knees, create gaps in their defence for us to exploit. Get up close and take out archers or mages. This I could have told you in the city, but the next part is what we are out here to train. For to get you behind the enemy means either you sneaking around or me-"

Markus paused for a moment. The next part would probably be a bit tougher to sell to the squire. But Markus was eager to test out this idea. He found it rather ingenious and if implemented correctly could make Ball one hell of an asset for the knights.

"Throwing you."
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Fastball Special (Ball)

Postby Ball on February 20th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Ball had followed his patron out into the forest beyond the walls of the Rock-Beast. It was a typical day in squire-knight teaching protocol it appeared: squire gets told to follow, squire does as commanded, they end up… Outside… In the bloody cold! Petch. The squire’s dog mount was all fine and dandy in this cold, the squire however was feeling the temperature suck his flexibility right out. Yet it appeared as his patron started speaking that he wasn’t going to be needing to be completely flexible during today’s training session. Ser Pycon started first speaking to the pycon as if he was both proud and annoyed of Ball as a squire. Then he spoke about Ball becoming a knight and being a part of a wing, Ball was shocked that this man thought Ball could become an actual brother-in-arms. Ser Pycon always views me as less than dirt. Less than the ground he stands upon. The word ‘wing’ went over his small head at first, but with the continued spoken words of his knighted instructor Ball quickly understood that wing was a group of knights that worked together.

When they paused at the clearing Ball looked around, maybe he would need to warm-up his body after all and it appeared that they would be stopping here to train. Why outside the walls? Why not in the training grounds? Training today, apparently, was all about wing-based tactics. Ser Pycon planned on using Ball as a distraction unit, made sense too, Ball was only three inches tall. That he couldn’t deny. Hammering knees seemed right in Ball’s alley too, considering he did it to the knight before him not long ago.

Sneaking around the enemy didn’t seem to be the point behind today’s little expedition outside it appeared though. Ser Pycon had paused in mid-sentence. It appeared that the knight was hesitating in finishing his words because of something Ball might possible do. It didn’t take long for him bite down hard on the cannon shot and just speak his mind though. He wants to… WHAT!? He wants to throw me… Seriously. THROW ME! What the petch.

Ball’s mouth dropped in surprise for just a tick before Ball clamped it shut in a tight lipped scowl. No one was going to pick up this three inch squire without permission and just throw him around at enemies, walls, or what-have-you. Oh no, Ball wasn’t too pleased with that idea. Then Ball remembered last year during the fight against the Lagool… Prior to losing Blue Pycon. He recommended the same exact idea, even if Blue Pycon did reject it… Ball relaxed his scowl and looked up at his patron, this man wasn’t Blue Pycon, it was Ser Pycon. And Ser Pycon was his sponsor now, his mentor.

And the man was right… Throwing Ball would provide a very effective tactic against an enemy shield barricade. So the squire nodded his approval to the idea. Throw me.

Created goes to EuthisaImage
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Fastball Special (Ball)

Postby Markus Andres on March 1st, 2014, 5:25 am

OOCI hope it is okay I assumed Ball would climb into Markus' hand? If not I will gladly edit it. And I decided I would let you describe his first flight with Air Markus

Markus was not sure if he was seeing correct, first the thing opened a gap into more clay, what one called the mouth on real creatures and then the expression. Was his squire actually scowling at him? Since when could Markus read any of Ball's unfathomable expressions. It looked like the little waste of clay actually scowled at him. Impressive, the thing was getting more life like for every moment. Some day he might actually see it as more than a lump of animated clay with sentience and feelings. Make the best of it, turn him into a deadly and honourable knight. Markus reminded himself to instil more knightly virtues into the squire. Would have to think of a way to teach him patience, first and foremost. The way Markus had been taught patience did not apply in this situation, Ball would as soon kick Markus back than learn to be patient.

Next time. For now, focus on the technique.

The knight was a bit worried the lump would attack him again rather than just telling him it was a shyke idea. But no words came, just a nod - he assumed. Surprised at how easy it had been to convince the squire, Markus stood stunned for a moment or two. Fortunate that the squire had not uttered some half gibberish for Markus to interpret he continued.

"Excellent." Normally Markus would ask how durable the little squire was, but he was rather excited to try this new idea he had thought up in the night. May be more future squires like Ball out there, have a group of knights who could lob a pycon behind the enemy and make the battle easier for the knights. First, he should probably test if it worked before he started getting too excited. It was perhaps also the first time in a while that Markus had gotten excited about anything since Fallon left him. Would be good the get the mind off of that subject. Markus knelt and offered his squire his right palm to step up on his hand. Markus felt extremely weird, but still wired.

"Let us get started then. Another thought was to throw you into the trees that you might drop down on the enemy. But that is for later, for now we focus on how far I can throw you. Then accuracy and finally application of the tactic." A part of Markus was less professional about this and was just looking forward to throwing Ball as far away from himself as possible. The little clayman would climb up into the palm of his hand and Markus was a bit surprised that he wasn't heavier than he was. Heavier than his bastard sword, definitely, but lighter than his heater shield, no doubt. He felt like a little kid again, about to throw a ball. He almost, only almost, started to casually throw it up into the air and catch it again. Ball may have taken offence to that and Markus would have understood him. Markus got a good hold around the squires body and it felt weird. He was about to toss a living thing just to test his viability as a weapon.

This was in Markus' top ten of weirdest things he had ever done.

Markus raised his right arm as far back as his armour allowed him to. Which was just a little behind his head. Would be a very, very short throw. Perhaps the idea of throwing him into the trees was better. But his stubbornness had him stay on the original idea. He took a second of breather and then prepared to take three quick steps and then throw the squire.

"Okay. You ready?" Awaited a confirmation. "On now. 3-2-1- NOW." Markus felt the strain in his right arm as he threw the five pounds lump of clay in his hand. The knight was hardly accustomed to throwing things. Especially not squires. So his first throw did not even come close to flying straight. But Markus had the strength to throw the squire far. Perhaps he should have started with an underhanded throw just to test that out. Lobbing him above the enemy. Well, he wouldn't learn if he didn't try the different methods. Plus, the first throw was also to satisfy his own long-burning desire to throw Ball as far away as possible. Unfortunately now he would actually follow the squire. Markus walked after Ball.

"Ball, are you okay?"
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Fastball Special (Ball)

Postby Ball on March 4th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Being a willing participant in this foolish idea of a concept put Ball in a very uncomfortable position. He recalled finding himself being held in a gauntleted hand, a metal shell closing around him enough to produce a firm grip on his clayness. He almost freaked at the feeling but Ball knew who was holding him and that he was a willing participant in this whole thing, outlandish as it might be now that he was held up at chest level in a knight’s hand. The knight probably was having second thoughts on throwing the squire, He is going to crush me! Ball gulped. He heard the man’s words.

Being thrown on… Now? Wait… WAIT… NOW?! Too late, Ball found himself being propelled forward, he had only ticks of a second to come up with a plan of attack as his body was released and sent flying away from his patron knight. Fortunately the throw wasn’t even close to being straight, but that didn’t help the clay squire that he had to shift and prepare for impact against the unknown. The thought was a quick one and it was an easy shift for the pycon, having been that form for so long he was sure his body could pull it off as he soared through the air.

First his long appendages pulled into his central mass before he folded himself over his head and back around. A crease showed his body’s rolled form before that was quickly sealed shut and the squire took on his namesake form once more. It was a temporary form and it was the fastest to handle. Impact came suddenly though, Ball could feel the ground tear ‘flesh’ from his spherical form as he skidded over roots and rocks.

It didn’t last long, he came to a shuddering and sudden end against a tree trunk. Releasing a rush of air from his body the squire’s body unrolled itself and when Markus came up close, calling out to see if Ball was okay the knight would come upon his pupil gasping for air staring up at the canopy.

“Petch. You.” Ball said through heavy inhales and exhales.

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Fastball Special (Ball)

Postby Markus Andres on March 9th, 2014, 2:30 am

The knight mentally noted that he needed more training with his throwing technique. Would be nigh useless if he flung Ball in the wrong direction every time the technique was needed. But he was satisfied with the distance on the first throw. Give it a couple dozen days of training and he would improve tremendously. He caught up to where Ball was lying and looked at the lump of clay. He could not tell if the thing was injured or not from appearance alone. Was that thing actually breathing? He always forgot that the clay squire actually breathed like normal humans. Markus found that odd to look at, also quite humorous. He added a mental note to get a replica of Ball so he did not need to throw Ball every time.

Although it felt very satisfying.

The knight frowned down at his squire when it spoke to him. But he could slack on the discipline this once, considering what he had just done. In essence thrown him full force into a tree. Wysar would probably understand if Markus did not punish the squire for its insult.

"I will let that one slide, Ball, but do not speak to your superiors like that ever again." Markus said sternly. Looking back to where he had thrown his squire from. "So, tell me. Any practical application of this technique, or is it too dangerous for you?" Once more Markus appeared woefully lacking in knowledge when it came to Pycon physiology. Perhaps he should have started the session in a wide open field where there was less of a risk for him to accidentally throw Ball directly into the trunk of a tree. If there was a next time, that would be the plan.

"So, tell me, can the technique work or should we abandon it? After all, it is you who are at a risk here and I will understand completely if you do not wish to continue. I had a different idea to simply toss you up into the trees where you could ambush them from above. Simpler plan, not as risky for you." This technique was so beyond what normal squires were taught, that Markus felt he could not force his squire to learn the technique, especially not since the first attempt had ended up with him flattened against a tree and now lying breathing heavily on the ground.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Fastball Special (Ball)

Postby Ball on April 15th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Sitting up Ball looked at his patron and nodded, still rubbing the back of his head though the pycon grumbled, “Tur.Ee.B'uh.Ad.Da.” [‘Tree bad.’] Standing the pycon looked around the clearing and then back at Ser Pycon. Yet the Pycon nodded, against a normal crowd of opponents, no the current wooden behemoths they faced, the tactic would be effect. Nodding a bit he motioned for the knight’s hand to come down. Once it was a foot from the ground Ball would jump from the ground and grab a hold of the gauntlet and pull himself up in the palm of Ser Pycon.

“It.Wuh.Urk.Ka. Tur.Ee.B’uh.Ad.Da.” [‘It work. Tree bad.’] Ball said as he nodded and pointed back at the tree for a second, “Suh.Cun.Da.Eye.Dee.Ah.No.Guh.Ud.Da. Tu.Ah.Vee.Us.” [‘Second idea no good, too obvious.’]

He pointed to the canopy above, even the small wildlife within were wrestling branches, twigs, nuts, leaves, and annoying each other… Just imagine the devastation Ball could cause... (did cause.)

“No. Guh.Uh.Da.Tuh.Ell.Lee.Ing.Tah.Are.Gits.Are.Low.Kah.Shun.” [‘No good telling targets our location.’] Ball shook his head at the thought of being thrown [b]into[/i] a tree, if it was going to be like the trunk, he wanted nothing to do with it, even if he could keep himself quiet and not disturb tree or the wildlife to give him the drop (quite literally) on the enemy… It just wasn’t worth the testing of it.

“Bee.Sigh.Duh. Dey. Nu. Eye.Dee.Ah.Wut.Eye.Am.Ah.Ba.All.Tu.Dew” [‘Besides, they no idea what I am able to do.’] Combat wise, no one could predict what the small clayman was going to do Ball noticed, he wasn’t exactly a normal fighting opponent for most of the larger pycons…

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Fastball Special (Ball)

Postby Markus Andres on April 16th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Markus leant down and offered the Pycon his right hand and he watched as the thing jumped and grabbed onto his hand. Having a five pound heavy clayman hanging from his hand was no easy feat for Markus. The constantly shifting balance as the thing attempted to crawl up to his palm also took effort from Markus to keep his arm steady enough. But soon the thing stood in his palm, once more he noted that the creature was almost as heavy as his bastard sword, so holding him wasn't a problem, the fact that he was a lot more compact only made it easier. Though he did remind himself that he had to do more body building in the near future. As he looked at his squire standing in the palm of his hand, Markus could only stare with his dark green eyes. Realizing what he had just done.

Why the petch did I pick him up?

But it was too late to change things now as the decision and action had been performed. He couldn't drop Ball to the ground without appearing extremely rude. He would have to endure and suffer through Ball talking to him from the palm of his hand. Which was, to the young knight, an extremely surreal experience. He had a semi-intelligent and self-aware creature standing in his hand having a sober discussion on the merits of throwing him at enemies or into trees.

When did my life get this way?

To shield himself from the impending wave of emotion, Markus focused on his squire again. It was clear, or what Markus at least understood, that the Pycon was not interested in his idea of throwing him into the trees. His logic was sound. He would make too much of a ruckus and they would know he was coming. Would still be a good distraction if they kept their eyes to the trees instead of on Markus and the other knights. But Ball was the risk-taker here so he would not argue the point with him. It wasn't worth the hassle and the basic strategy once Markus learnt how to throw Ball properly and in the correct direction would be enough. As his squire said, few knew what he was capable of, a fact Markus knew first hand. No doubt Ball would be underestimated by the enemy.

”You are right, let us focus on one strategy at a time, we can branch out later if we feel confident.” Markus scratched his chin with his off hand. It felt odd to use that hand, but a 5 pound Pycon might take offense if Markus used him to scratch his chin.

”You ready for another toss?” Markus would allow the Pycon some time to respond and get ready if the thing required it, but they could not delay too long, the knight wanted a good long training session today and every moment wasted was a moment sooner to sunset. Something that came deceptively soon during the winter season. The first throw had given him a taste of how to throw Ball. Keep the arc of his arm a little tighter. Release Ball at the right moment to give him a higher arc and plop directly down rather than directly into the enemy. If the need arose, he might also use his magic to aid the throw, but that would make it even less controlled. And pose a danger to his squire. So he scratched out that idea and patiently waited for Ball to either give his approval or disapproval of another toss. If it didn't come, he would put down the Pycon on the ground. If it did come, he would pull back his right arm. A different style throw. Rather than a sling shot motion, Markus pulled his arm as close to his shoulder as the armour allowed him. Brought Ball close to his face, something he intensely disliked. He felt the extra weight on his muscles as they tried to cope with the new style. Much like throwing a spear, Markus would suddenly push his arm out. Ball would fly in a solid 40 degrees angle away from Markus – although the knight would just stare confused at anyone who told him that fact.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Fastball Special (Ball)

Postby Ball on August 25th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Ball shrugged as Ser Pycon suggested another throw, it wasn't like Ball had much of a choice he needed to learn to work as a team and if being thrown at the enemy was a way for the small squire to be a valuable member of a wing then so be it. As for how and when it was happening the squire had to just wait. It took a few ticks longer than the pycon had expected and he tucked himself into a spherical mound in his patron's had when realizing that the knight was waiting on him.

It was in this form that Ball was dependent on the knight's aim and judgment of distance and angle. After all, being shot putted through the air wasn't exactly a normal tactic for the knights and therefore not a part of the standardized training of squires. Then again, what part of my training has been normal? There was no answer to that, the squired pycon knew and therefore allowed himself to be shot through the air in a straight line, when the release happen Ball felt like he was flying and in mid-flight he unfurled his whole being.

Three inches of clay man rolled out from a spherical shape and with outstretched limbs and an eyeless open mouth of clay teeth it wasn't exactly something most would want to encounter again. Ball landed this time in the bushes between to trees a yowling sound come from the shuddering shrubbery and then silence and stillness ensued. A few more ticks later and the three inch squire came tumbling out of the wild flora tugging at a bit of thorny twigs that dug themselves into his being.

oocSorry this post took forever to write, I actually sorta lost it amongst my threads. -.-;;;

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Fastball Special (Ball)

Postby Aoren on November 15th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Riddled With Rewards
Markus

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Teaching + 2 EXP
Planning + 2 EXP
Deduction + 1 EXP
Leadership +1 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Ingenious Tactic: Throwing Ball
Ball: Adaptable In Sticky Situations
Ball: The Benefits of His Small Size

Ball

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Tactics + 1 EXP
Acrobatics + 2 EXP
Rhetoric + 2 EXP
Endurance +2 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Acrobatics: Shifting Form To Mitigate Flight Impact
Endurance: Suffering Through Impact
Acrobatics: Gauging Mid-Air Trajectory

Notes :
+2 Shield Points to both of you!

If you have comments, questions or concerns please approach me at your earliest convenience. Don't forget to edit/delete your request in the request thread!
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)