Completed [Windmount Stables] The Bigger They Are

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Windmount Stables] The Bigger They Are

Postby Katelyn Marks on December 11th, 2014, 12:52 am

45th, Winter, 514 AV

The time had finally come for Katelyn to seek out a new horse. She wasn't surprised that Ser Whitevine had urged this. In fact, she'd been expecting it. No Knight or Squire in their right mind could do their duties atop a pony. Of course she would still have Sebastian--her little sweetheart and steadfast companion--but it was time for something bigger. Something faster, stronger. Kat arrived at the stables in Syliras that day with a heavy heart, but the faint hopeful excitement always brought on by something new.

Her Patron didn't care what kind of horse it was, he'd said. Just so that it could keep up with his own Tiaden. She needed to be able to learn mounted combat and all other manner of things stop this horse, so larger stature was on her mind. She walked the stalls for only a few short chimes before a young man found her. He was carrying two buckets of water, but quickly sat them down to greet her.

"Pardon, ma'am. I hope you haven't been waiting long," he fretted, closing the distance between them and offering a hand. "Ulliver Windmount," he introduced himself as.

"Not at all," she assured him and took his hand in a firm shake. Kat didn't know why, but she seemed to give off the impression to a lot of people that she'd be in for a good handshake. She wasn't about to start complaining. "Katelyn Marks," she returned as way of introductions.

"I only just got here really," she continued, and the man seemed to jump on that bit of information.

"Wonderful! How might I assist you today then ma'am?" He went right down to business, and she appreciated that. It wouldn't do anyone any good to dilly-dally.

"I'm looking for a new horse as well as some new tack," Kat explained, then hesitated. "I've just joined the Order, you see. As a fresh Squire. My current mount just won't do."

Ulliver nodded knowingly, looking thoughtful and understanding. Of course they would have a lot of experience helping Squires here, and he invited her to follow him. He talked as they walked, and he led her out of the current barn and to one further away.

"That was the barn for our broodmares," Ulliver explained. "Nothing in there for anyone. What you need to be looking at are our finished horses. They're in this barn here. We have a wide selection available now that it's the off season. Anything and everything in between, from Zavians to Windrunners. We currently don't have any Kavinkas though, so I'm sorry if that was what you were hoping for."

He led her to the large barn and showed her the rows of stalls, then consigned to wait and let her browse the stock. She'd lucked out and arrived when most horses were in their stalls. It helped that it was a particularly cold day, and even through wools and furs she could still feel the bite of winter. Too cold to bother with having many loose in the pastures, and anyways their wasn't anything to graze. The grass had long gone dormant until spring.

Katelyn slowly wandered down the barn's aisle, occasionally peeking in a stall to examine a horse. They were all fine looking animals, but by the time she was to the end nothing had particularly caught her eye. She frowned and looked back down the rows, thinking she must have missed something. Ulliver came down to meet her, curious if she'd spotted anything. Kat shook her head.

"Don't get me wrong, they're good looking horses, but none of them really caught my interest."

Ulliver folded his arms, looking thoughtful again.

"What exactly are you looking for in a horse?" he asked, and she thought hard on the question for a few long chimes.

"I think I would like something bigger. Strong, hardy, and smart. I don't want a fearful animal that's going to balk at the sounds of combat. I need something that can handle all of the training I'm going to be doing."

He was smiling even before she'd finished talking. Katelyn frowned and raised her eyebrows questioningly.

"Come with me," he said simply, and she did just that.

He led her to another area again entirely and ushered her inside. There were more stalls, but not as many as before. As soon as they entered, a beautiful palomino head poked over the door of one and greeted them with a low nicker.

"This is where we keep some of the more... special horses. Sungolds, Nightwalkers, etcetera. We also have a few Tiadens in here. More often than not Knights and even Squires choose from this lot. You can just think of these horses as more suited to your needs."

Katelyn's interest was definitely piqued. Feeling her excitement renewed, she hurried to examine the new lot. There definitely weren't as many, but that wasn't a bad thing. Several of the horses were divinely beautiful. Never in her life had she seen some coats so black or so radiantly gold.

A few pairs of eyes watched her with an eerie kind of intelligence, and though they were all impressive, she didn't feel drawn to them. She didn't want a horse just because it was beautiful. Looks weren't everything. Of course there were others as well. Massive warhorses of various colors that watched her walk by as they slowly crunched on their hay, but none made her head turn too much.

Again she made it down the aisle with no luck. That was the end of it and she hadn't found what she was looking for. Perhaps her horse wasn't here. Ulliver met her at the end again and she shook her head. He looked a little surprised at that, but quickly banished the reaction and nodded.

"Well, I have to say I'm sorry nothing caught your eye. We rotate our stock fairly regularly during the warmer seasons, but when it's cold like this we're likely to keep what we have until it warms up in spring. You might try a private seller."

She knew he was just trying to be helpful, but his words only discouraged her further. He training wouldn't wait until spring. It was happening now, and she wasn't going to half-ass it just because she couldn't find a horse that spoke to her.

"No, no. Let me go through again and look a little closer. I'll find something," she assured him, but more so she was trying to convince herself.
Last edited by Katelyn Marks on December 19th, 2014, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Words: 226535
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 10:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on December 12th, 2014, 9:24 pm

At first Ulliver seemed content with that idea, but his face soon twisted in confusion then fright. She took in breath, prepared to question him, but he snatched her cloak quickly and yanked her sharply toward him. Katelyn cursed loudly in surprise, stumbling to catch her balance then turning on him in incredulous anger.

"What was th--!" she began, but suddenly stopped when a heavy crash resounded through the barn.

Katelyn whipped around and found herself staring into the annoyed face of another Tiaden. She hadn't seen him before. Or rather, his back had been to her earlier and she simply hadn't paid any heed. His body jostled suddenly and another deafening crash struck her ears. Kat flinched at the sound, then looked at Ulliver. His face was grim and annoyed. The warhorse was kicking at the stall door, pawing and clanging loudly. It was rather impressive really the immense ruckus he was making.

"What's his problem?" Katelyn asked when the massive beast seemed to stop.

"Everything is his problem. We've had this one since he was foaled. Nasty little attitude since he was a colt. He doesn't really like people, and he's bitten me more times than I can count. We finally finished him up though and we're trying to get him out of our hair. No takers yet, unsurprisingly."

The horse seemed to understand Ulliver's tone, because he lunged his head out toward them as far as his neck could stretch and gave a mighty show of snapping at the young man.

"How do you tack him if he's so mean?"

Ulliver couldn't help but grin at that, though it was a humorless expression.

"He toys with us. Likes to let us saddle him up then throw us off once we're out working him. When he sees us carrying that saddle to his stall, he's as docile as a lamb. Sort of."

Katelyn chuckled and gave the warhorse a quick once-over. He was tall, but not too heavily built. She'd seen some Tiaden's who were like great oak trees. This one here seemed nimbler--speedier. His bulk was still impressive and nothing to shake a stick at, but his lines were finer. She didnt take a chance by moving in closely, so she couldn't get a very thorough look. His coat was black, mane and tail long with a hint of red, and he had a white strip from forelock to lips.

He regarded her quietly, ears pricked and eyes like warm chocolate. There was a glint of mischief sparkling in his intelligent stare, and his posture was challenging. Katelyn smiled and reached inside her cloak to retrieve a piece of dried fruit hidden inside a pocket. She was going to snack on it later, but her interest had been piqued and it would be a poor decision to pass this opportunity. When Ulliver saw her move a little closer and offer her hand, he made to stop her but she shook her head and motioned him to stop.

"Please, I want to just try."

He looked torn, but after a short beat grudgingly nodded for her to continue. Katelyn smiled and stepped closer to the horse. His ears were at complete attention. His head was held high and he peered down at her as if pondering what action to take. His tail flicked threateningly, but when she opened her hand and procured the fruit his attention focused intently on the treat.

"Go on," she coaxed, and his eyes met hers again.

He quickly came to the wrong decision and decided to snap at her, but Katelyn was ready. She stepped back and retaliated, throwing her hand at his face and giving him a hard swat on the nose. He skittered back away from the slap, startled and more than a little confused by the sensation. His large rear bounced off the back wall and he quickly righted himself, sending an accusatory stare her way. Katelyn didn't say a word, but instead procured the fruit again. They stayed still for a long time it seemed like, though she doubted it was more than a handful of chimes. Finally the cranky stud clopped back to his gate and stretched his head toward her.

He didn't bite, didn't kick his door, and didn't glare at her. He quickly lipped up the treat in her palm and chewed loudly, leaving her hand wet with slobber. While he savored the offering Kat spoke quietly to him.

"I've never had a habit of laying a hand on any animal and I don't intend to start now, but I'm firm when I have to be. That's the only time I'll ever slap you. It'll never happen again, just like you're never going to try and bite me again. Understand? I won't give you the chance."

He watched her while he chewed, seeming content to her for the first time. When he finished she offered an empty palm and his nose moved in to investigate. Large nostrils flared and Kat felt warm breath as he took in her smell. Before he could do anything else, she carefully pulled away and looked at Ulliver with a lopsided grin.

"I want to ride him," she said. Later she would wish that she could relive the look of incredulous surprise on the man's face.
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on December 19th, 2014, 6:20 am

It was just as Ulliver had said. She observed while he saddled the tall stallion, who stood placidly and patiently. Katelyn smiled in excited anticipation, arms crossed across her chest and hip cocked to the side.

"I'll lead him out and we can go to the indoor arena. You watch while I ride him--get him warmed up and see if he's going to try any funny business. If you still want to ride him after a few laps I'll let you climb up and give him a go," the man explained as he cinched the girth up and buckled everything into place.

Kat let him do so without any complaint. Ulliver led the Tiaden from his stall and the warhorse's broad shod hooves struck the aisle way loudly with each heavy-footed step. The excitement was obvious in his posture--the way he carried his massive head and stepped with quick impatience. He seemed to have a lot of energy built up in those muscles of his just waiting to be released. She followed behind the two of them, closely watching how he moved. His stride was long and smooth, and she could see the raw power in the cut of his flanks and shoulders.

Ulliver led them both to the arena and she moved ahead to open the large door for him, then shut them all inside. It was a little warmer here out of the wintery wind, but the air still bit her nose and burned her cheeks. She rubbed her hands together briskly and blew a hot lungful of breath into her cupped fingers, trying to warm some feeling back into them. It was a useless effort. She tucked them tightly into her armpits under the heavy fur lining her cloak and shuffled in place a moment, watching as Ulliver steadied and mounted the troublesome Tiaden.

Everything seemed fine at first. The horse responded to his commands, the pressure of his legs and the reins. He stretched his stride into a purposeful trot after an initial lap around the arena at a steady walk. Ulliver rode with a strong seat and confident command of his mount. He appeared to have the strength to control the animal merely with the pressure of his legs. It was impressive to watch, and Katelyn found herself admiring his skill.

When the situation did finally turn, it seemed to do so instantly. Ulliver could sense the shift underneath him before Kat actually noticed. The stud bunched and bundled like a snake, muscles coiling, then released as he shot forward off of powerful back legs and dove into a wild gallop. Ulliver fought for control as the Tiaden plunged and tore and kicked.

The reins were drawn in tight and twisted around, steering the horse into a tight circle to try and regain control. He wasn't going to have it. The black beast reared up, mouth gaping at the bit and twisting wildly, balanced precariously on two legs and dancing backwards. Ulliver clung for as long as he could, but one final mighty twist threw him from the saddle and down into the finely turned dirt.

The war stallion crashed back down onto his front legs and pranced away, head high and neck arched. He looked proud and fierce as he took a half-turn about the arena, then stopped and planted himself challengingly, as if beconing them to try again. Ulliver pulled himself up from the dirt and brushed himself off, looking more than a little irritated. He approached the horse purposely and caught up the reins dragging on the ground. The animal let him do so and watched with large, intelligent eyes that seemed to laugh. His haughty posture was practically begging for another go.

Ulliver swung up once more into the saddle and drew a tight rein for control. He wasted no time in sending the horse into a lope, urging the stallion straight into the fast gait from a standstill. She watched as he worked him in tight patterns, always keeping him turning and bending and switching leads. Circles, figure eights, various other erratic patterns. The Tiaden tried to fight a few more times, but Ulliver would twist him off balance and into another random direction. It seemed to do the trick, because this time he stayed on and dismounted on his own accord.

Katelyn would have been lying if she she'd said she didn't like what she saw. It was a beautiful animal. He moved confidently and easily, with no flaws in his confirmation or gait that caught her eye. He responded quickly and without hesitation to commands from the reins and legs, not including the random little fights he tried to start. She could tell he knew what do to. He knew was expected of him--he just wanted to test his rider ever chance he had. It wasn't that he was a bad animal. He was just too wickedly smart for his own good. He was a challenge, and Kat was up to facing it.

Ulliver slid down from the saddle and patted the horse on his thick black neck. She walked out into the arena to meet them, and offered her open palm to the stallion. His breath was hot on her skin--hotter than before now that he'd worked up a sweat. A light lather was foaming between his back thighs, and his neck was damp under his mane.

"What do you think now? Still want to climb up there?" Ulliver asked her and she smiled. He couldn't help but grin back.

"I'll take him," she stated confidently.

This incredulous look was better than the first. It took him a moment to compose himself.

"You don't want to ride him?"

Katelyn shook her head.

"I've seen enough to decide. I have some things to buy this morning, but I'd like to come back as soon as I'm done to pick him up. I'll be needing a saddle for him, a pad, a lead, and I also need a pack saddle for a pony. I brought everything else I'd need with me. I'll be riding him back to the Outpost this afternoon if that's alright."

Ulliver looked surprised by the rapid turn of events. He'd been taken aback enough that she was actually interested in the grumpy beast. Now she was buying him and taking him away today, just like that. He shook his head, but not in answer to her.

"Well, I mean... yes of course. I can work out what everything will cost and go fetch you what you need so it's ready when you get back. I can prep him for the trip as well--make sure his shoes are secure and that he's well fed and watered. If you like, we can go ahead and stall him so I might show you the tack we have available and in what sizes so you can pick out what you want."

A broad smile stretched across her face and she gently stroked her new horse's pale lips. They wiggled against her fingers before he tossed his head fiercely, nearly knocking into her.

"Lead the way."
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Katelyn Marks on December 19th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Katelyn decided on a cavalry saddle to standard military tack. She preferred the lighter weight piece and the less cumbersome style of the cantle and swell. Ulliver found one that would be the right fit for her new Tiaden, and she picked out a pack saddle that would adjust to Sebastian's far smaller girth.

Everything was well made and well oiled leather, with strong steel buckles and secure stitching. She was extremely happy with it all when she left to finish the rest of her shopping that needed done--to gather more supplies for her training as per the recommendation of her Patron.

She could borrow what she needed, but if anything broke or went missing she'd have to buy it anyway, so she decided to gather a few things for herself. A quiver and arrows for use with a longbow which she already had some basic experience with, a whetsone, some oils. It wasn't common for a Squire to go right ahead and buy a horse and all kinds of other baubles--it was an expensive investment--but she'd recently sold her home now that she lived inside the Garrison, so Kat had the gold to spare for such a desire.

There were other miscellaneous items as well--small things she had stowed away inside the large saddlebags slung across her shoulder along with the bridle she'd be using. Everything else she carried across her back. Pack, quiver full of heavy shafted broadheads, etc.

Upon her return Ulliver greeted her with a wave and a smile to which Katelyn mimicked as they met by the gate of the arena.

"Right on time. I just finished him up. He's ready to go aside from anything else you want to put on him. We can strap those saddlebags on then tie that pack saddle down overtop behind the cantle. Everything else can go anywhere it will fit. There's a lot of storage space on this saddle so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place for everything."

"I appreciate everything you've done, and your patience," Kat thanked gratefully, and he waved it off.

"I'm just happy that you found what you wanted, although I have to say I'm surprised by your choice. I hope he does you well."

Katelyn laughed and opened the gate to enter the arena, Ulliver following close behind.

"I like the idea of something more challenging this time around. My other horse, he doesn't test me. I'll never improve that way now will I?"

It was a good point, and he consented to it despite his misgivings about the big stallion. He helped her pack the rest of her equipment on the saddle, making sure the weight was distributed evenly and that everything was tightly secured, then opened the gate and let Katelyn lead her new stud out into the open.

"Has he been out there before?"

Ulliver nodded, but held up a few fingers.

"Not very much, but he has two or three times. We can't risk taking horses out like that all the time, but we try to desensitize them as much as possible to sights and sounds they'll encounted out in the world. We haven't seemed to have any problems so far with horses in the past."

He held the reins for her while she climbed up into the saddle. It was so different that Sebastian--she actually had to try. It was a stretch getting her foot into the stirrup and swinging up into the seat. When she settled down into the saddle it was a strange sensation being up so high.

The only other horse she thought she'd been on that was this tall was Marrick's mare Kiter, and at that time she'd just been sitting double behind him. This time she had the reins--she was in control. The new Squire could feel the stallion's excitement in the tightness of his muscles and the taughtness in the reins. He tossed his head and stamped a heavy hoof in impatience, and Ulliver looked up at her high in the saddle.

"If you ever need anything else we'll be here."

Katelyn smiled down at him and thanked him earnestly, eager to be on the way back now that she was mounted.

"One more thing," he said when he released the reins, and she looked at him curiously. "What are you to call him?"

Katelyn's smile grew and she looked at the stallion beneath her. She'd been thinking about that for bells, and the answer came to her now. It was a simple name, reflective of her new life.

"His name is Garrison."
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Nivel on December 31st, 2014, 6:11 pm

Katelyn :
XP Award:
  • 4 Socialization
  • 3 Observation
  • 1 Rhetoric
  • 1 Intimidation
  • 1 Horsemanship
  • 1 Riding
  • 1 Animal Husbandry
Lore:
  • Knights don't ride Ponies
  • Ulliver Windmount: The Friendly Stablehand
  • Garrison: The Unruly Tiaden Warhorse
Notes: Good job :)

Additional Comments: If you have any Questions or concerns please feel free to PM me

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)