Closed Dreams Don't Turn to Dust

The falling of an Ethaefal.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Dreams Don't Turn to Dust

Postby Yra on December 15th, 2014, 1:39 am

When Evalin had emerged, Yra regarded the woman with a moment of uncertainty and discomfort before deciding that she likely wouldn't want tea like the rest of them might. Earlier, she would consider herself rude for choosing to not bring a member of a group what she brought the rest of them, but it was winter, and in the end that is what would decide every decision she came to. Two days in, and it had already touched her in ways that were not pleasant, and in ways that she would refuse to share even with her employer.

With one final glance back, Yra regarded the newly fallen ethaefal with something she might later decide was dislike. It was a dishonest expression, however, for Yra was curious and even in this state she loathed to detest that which could allow her greater insight to her own state. She was a child being presented with a newborn sibling and coming to terms with the fact that she may have just been replaced. Rather than mourn it, however, she seethed. She ached. She cared about this newly fallen creature that looked like her in the same ways he so clearly did not, and the turmoil physically hurt her.

Yra continued on her way, gnawing on her tongue to hold out on interrogating the newborn as she had been when she returned. They could wait. She could wait. Infants had to be coddled before they could talk.

The kitchen was a gloomy place in the night, the barest sliver of light from the moon presenting all the illumination the place had to offer. It was chilly within, as if the fire from beyond hadn't the heart to warm the room, and she immediately went to work lighting the fire. Perhaps, she reasoned to herself, the moonborn might wish to eat something. She couldn't recall being hungry in her beginning, but he might be different from her.

Her fingers, cold as they were, fumbled with flint before she struck it just right and sparked a neatly arranged pile of dried grass left by some cook in the earlier hours of the evening. It took time before heat began to fill the room as the lit grass in turn lit the stacked wood and she took that time to select a kettle, traipse to the door, fill it with snow (and realise that snow was cold and her hands didn't like it), and hook it over the fire. This was the literal extent of her cooking knowledge, and it required little work to actually complete. Others who were more capable had done the majority of the hard work, for which she was grateful.

In her solitude, Yra mulled and tormented over laughter and joy and the realisation that she might have actually discovered a facet of herself that made her loathsome. She listened to their indistinct voices, arms crossed and eyes upon the dancing of young flames, fancying that, maybe if Syna had left her, Leth might be willing to take her instead to replace this child of his, if this child had been sent to replace her.
Yra
there are no strings on me.

Words: 66902
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 3:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on December 15th, 2014, 9:32 pm

When her direction was given Evalin without hesitation grasped the edges of her dress with delicate hands and offered a very slight, yet respectful, curtsy, "As you wish."

Over her many years of existence Evalin had learned many things in her travels, including the act or cordiality expected when in certain company. Many faces and many roles she had played, and many times the Immortal had take up the position of servant or even adviser to those in authority, wealth or power. Thus she was well acquainted with posturing and polite etiquette required to present her employee with all the airs of respect he might require to impress those around him with the loyalty of his staff. Or, at the very least, the loyalty of one single member of his staff. Was that what Evalin was then? A loyal member of Caelum's staff at the Alements? Certainly she did her work around the tavern often enough, however, did she not perform other duties that were outside the realm of the Alements? It was odd for truly the Immortal was not sure what she WAS to Caelum at all. A servant, an employee, a dagger that was concealed or perhaps even a friend?

Such thoughts as these passed within the mind of Evalin in the fraction of a tick as she straightened and turned to retreat into the infirmary once more. Gliding over the floor like one who knew the area well Evalin very quickly found the blankets and clothing of which Caelum spoke, though she took a little more time in pulling them free and then neatly folding them again so that no creases could be seen. After all she was there to make Caelum look good in front of his guests, no matter how high or how lowly they might be. This man should feel honored to be shown such kindness from her employee. He knew not of the weight of respect he was given by a man who was, in Evalin's mind, so far above him.

Barely a chime passed before Evalin returned with a stack of neatly folded clothes and a blanket in her arms. Coming closer to Pisces Evalin extended both to the man along with a brief smile that did not quite meat her, "Please accept these." She said this softly, not in a cold or distant way but neither was it overly kind. All the while inside of her mind she could only think, These are far too good for you, so be grateful.

When they were accepted Evalin would not spare the man a second glance, turning instead to give her full attention to Caelum, "Shall I prepare the spare bed for a guest... or perhaps an inn close by would be preferable. I will make all the arrangements."

Looking down at the little girl Evalin's smile grew into a more sincere one, her eyes softening somewhat though the mask lowering once more as she glanced back at Pisces, folding her arms at her waist as she did so, "I would not wish for miss Lillian to be disturbed with an unexpected nightly guest."

As she said this what she longed to add was 'I do not trust one who would put my employer in such a position so late at night.'
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Caelum on December 30th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Ah,” Caelum said, realizing his error. He drew to a halt near the hearth and Pisces’ chosen chair. Warm light licked over one side of his face, drawing the gold out from the darkness in his eyes. “I’m Caelum, and this my place. The little girl is my daughter Lillian. Yra is the young woman who just disappeared into the kitchen to make us tea, and Evalin is the lady who went to find you some clothes.”

“I want a fish name, Daddy,” Lillian whispered, and the Drykas smirked.

“You can be Goldfish. Goldy for short.”

Lillian made a face. “No.”

“Flounder?”

The toddler seemed to consider, but then said, “No.”

“Well, think on it.” A chuckled was hummed through his chest and he hovered for a minute, at ends. Caelum ought to have been accustomed to having multiple sets of hands to help with his work, but the simple fact was that he wasn’t. He was used to doing things himself. Leadership came naturally to him, and he managed expectations, examples, and delegations expertly.

But all of a sudden it seemed there was nothing to do but sink to a perch on the arm of an adjacent chair and peer at Pisces with unabashed curiosity. When Evalin returned with the clothing, he spoke up, “You’re an ethaefal of Leth. Both Yra and I are of Syna. You’re really quite fortunate in your landing, Pisces.” He squinted one eye. “Or strategic. If I didn’t know better, I’d say this was an ambush.”

Surely, he was teasing.

“Thank you, Evalin,” he added, offering her a grateful smile even as Lillian sort of shrunk against his shoulder, burying her little face in her father’s shirt. Evalin made her distinctly uneasy. “I think – “ Caelum glanced questioningly at Pisces. “That it might be best if he stay here. At least for now. There’s a spare room upstairs, but I think it should be fine. Or I’ll take care of it. You don’t need to put yourself out.

Caelum, notably, sometimes forgot what it meant to have employees. Somewhere, Elise was rolling her eyes.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Pisces on February 10th, 2015, 9:34 pm

The Ethaefal eyed the clothing as they were brought forward, taking them without a second thought and standing up. He slipped them onto his nearly-dried body, the leftover droplets of water getting absorbed into the clothing. There was no shame in this action, as Pisces had not yet remembered that shame while dressing in front of a group of people was something considered quite normal. He tilted his head at Caelum's description of his race and the half-joke, half-blame of the Ethaefal ambush that seemed to be taking over his home.

"An ambush? Why, I don't think so." The Ethaefal knew of Leth, and the knowledge of Syna brought back more vague thoughts of Syna that had been quietly resting in the back of his mind and only thought of waking up at that very moment. His eyes moved towards Evalin, his skin crawling at the sight of her and her remarks and the feeling behind them, despite the fact that they were in Common, though the Ethaefal tried his best at ignoring it. He looked at Lillian, leaning down a bit so that they could be face to face.

"I'd say you'd make a fantastic flounder." He smiled, still leaning down with hands on his knees, though they were removed when he spoke simply because he had been speaking Pavi since he fell. He had a soft spot for children, and Lillian was no exception - despite the strange scales that glittered her skin. "Or perhaps...you could be a little trout?" He stood up straight then, sitting back in the chair by the hearth and running a hand through his hair, almost dry at this point.
Pisces
Fish out of water.

Words: 13196
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2014, 12:17 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Yra on March 18th, 2015, 5:26 am

There was warmth found in the flames of the kitchen hearth, enlivening the cold fingers of the ethaefal shrouded in the shadows. The cold clung to her heel as she collected the kettle when it began a shrill whistle. The sound made her flinch for a moment, so she hurried to collect it before the noise alerted the others, although she couldn't say why the idea of them hearing made her anxious.

What was this in her head that made her wary?

Yra returned to the group shortly, a steaming pot of tea balanced upon a tray with a collection of mugs. Though she had burnt her fingers handling the water, she kept her posture strong and donned the barest hint of a smile upon her lips, knowing from her own experience how much a pleasant face could be reassuring... although this new child of the heavens seemed to have no need of those kinds of gestures.

Resentment returned with a brief surge, as if drawn forward by the pull of Leth himself, like the tide, and she pushed it down with a thick swallow and the placing of her tray upon the nearest table.

"Have you had tea?" She asked this child of Leth, looking at him from beneath her veil of dark hair. Did he remember having tea, or had he ever had it at all?
Yra
there are no strings on me.

Words: 66902
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 3:32 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kiva on February 1st, 2016, 1:03 pm

Such a Beautiful Thread . . .

By Syna and Leth, I wish this thread could have continued. I don't know where it would have gone, but I really think every person in this thread has such a lovely writing style. What a shame this wasn't finished.

Pices
XP
  • Observation | 3
  • Rhetoric | 2
  • Socialization | 2
  • Swimming | 1
Lores
  • Caelum: Etheafal of Syna
  • Yra: Ethaefal of Syna
  • Falling From The Heavens
    Lillian: Caelum's Daughter
    Evalin: Has An Uneasy Presence
Miscellaneous
  • I really enjoyed reading about Pices' fall and how he came up with his name. Great stuff.

Caelum
XP
  • Childcare | 2
  • Socialization | 2
  • Diplomacy | 2
  • Observation | 1
  • Leadership | 1
Lores
  • Pices: Newly Fallen Lethaefal
Miscellaneous
  • Sorry I couldn't find more lores for Caelum. It's very possible I overlooked some, but he just seems to know everything already. lol

Yra
Uh-Oh Spaghettio
    Since your PC is retired, I can't award you a grade, however, if you become active again, hit me with a PM and I'll edit this asap.

P.s: One of my favorite parts of this thread was Yra's internal conflict and her dislike for Pices. I found it an interesting piece of her character that I really wish could have been explored more.

Evalin
XP
  • Morphing | 1
  • Anatomy | 1
  • Undertaking | 1
  • Acting | 1
  • Research | 1
  • Investigation | 1
  • Philosophy | 1
Lores
  • Pices: Newly Fallen Lethaefal
  • Pices: Undeserving of Caelum's Kindness
Miscellaneous
  • Evalin is definitely one of the easier characters to apply a variety of different skills to, but I have to apologize that I couldn't award more. Still, for the limited number of posts you had, I found what I could. Her presence in the thread turns it from some Eth party to an almost humorous scene. Three unearthly beauties and a woman who's skin looks like death. Fantastic.

. . . I brought it a Treat.
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1