Open [The Sanctuary] Twelve Years Past

Timothy celebrates his birthday in solitude, unless you were to join him...the more the merrier!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Sanctuary] Twelve Years Past

Postby Timothy Mered on January 3rd, 2015, 11:41 pm

16th of Winter 514Av

Some of the color in Kennen’s hair found its way to his cheeks as they lit up again. Timothy could hardly condemn him for being easily ashamed, though he wished the boy, who was clearly older and stronger, wouldn’t be so hesitant. The words he uttered were hard enough to understand as it was. Gold-eyes soon revealed his true intentions, and a pang of jealousy shot through him. The boy was an intruder, an outsider leeching off Kavala’s charity just to steal a job. Why did he need a job anyway? He was rich enough, wasn’t he? Tim turned his attention to the flecked pup begging for his attention and scratched the clever dog behind the ears before settling his eyes on Kavala. Light brows arched upward as she assured him that Kennen was not a Kelvic. But if gold-eye wasn’t a shifter, then what was he? He trained his eyes on Kavala, she seemed to be wondering the same.

Out of all things that made him tense in Kavala’s presence, the big broadsword strapped to her back gave the least cause. Frankly, there was not much about her that justified the ice in she sent coursing through his veins. She was unassuming, generous, and straightforward. So far, she hadn’t commanded him around, though it had been made clear to him that everyone at The Sanctuary was expected to work their weight. With that in mind, he decided it would be a wise thing to eat less. But the food was good and his stomach often growled louder than the dogs did. He respected her like a young monk looking up to a wise sage. Yet after his first meeting with her, he doubted he would feel completely at ease around her for many days to come. Still, the mild caution he felt towards Kavala wasn’t nearly as painful as Kennen’s blundering attempts to explain himself. To his credit, he managed to pique his interest. What was this language of the wind? Maybe he’s just insane, Timothy mused inwardly. Cocking his head to the side, he gave Kennen another once-over before concluding that the boy, though decidedly unconfident and easily flustered, was simply too ordinary looking and soft-spoken to be daft.

Kavala’s healing touch, though light, made every hair on his arms stand on end. He still loathed magic, but he couldn’t deny its effectiveness. It took her only a few ticks to pinpoint the sore spot and take away his discomfort. He took a moment to let her advice sink in before he nodded and thanked her. There was no better way to show that he’d listened than to shut his yapper and pay close attention to what Kennen and Kavala said next. Vivid green eyes flicked between them as the warrior-woman and boy-archer conversed, then slipped back to the dogs who, like him, were slowly beginning to lose interest. Little Cow joined him on the bench and pushed a wet little nose against his arm before retreating a pace to lick its snout and observe his human from a distance. Careful not to disturb the pup’s steady gaze, Tim turned and reached out with the palm of his hand, allowing the small dog to grow accustomed to his scent. “Attaboy,” he smiled as the dog rubbed its head against the inside of his palm. “Good dog, little cow,” he breathed. The pup immediately broke contact and let out an offended snarl. Timothy retreated his hand.

Kavala’s questioning gaze was met with an indifferent shrug. He could understand her decision not to trust anyone knocking on The Sanctuary’s gate, but he could also relate to Kennen’s desire to work and be useful. Work certainly helped taking your mind off things.

Her offer to help put up the dogs awakened a stronger reaction. “Sure!” he beamed, his eyes fell onto the small, flecked pup again as he stood up from the bench and gestured for the little scrapper to follow. Cold morning ablutions and lack of soap in Kenash, aside from a chunk for special occasions, had flipped his dislike for washing around. Mother would be proud. The prospect of food only widened his smile. Grinning, he turned to face Kennen, “you should see the bath underground, it’s massive! And warm too! And there are loads of secrets rooms underneath the ground, right Kavala?” Somehow, the simple promise of food had made him light up like a candle. He wondered if there would be any cake.
Timothy Mered
Determined

Words: 296697
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2014, 1:43 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kennen Dova on January 4th, 2015, 1:45 am

The woman confirmed that he wasn't a Kelvic, but she hadn't said anything about him being human. Did that mean they both still thought he was something other than he was? He had never given it to much thought, but maybe if they both agree'd then his people weren't human? He was after all more comfortable talking to birds than he was other people, and he had been called exotic before. He could remember the voices of Aerio and Zephyr in his head as a child, and how they ended as he was taken away from his home. So maybe he wasn't entirely human, but if not then what was he exactly?

And that woman, he couldn't keep thinking of her that way. He tilted his head trying to recall what she had said her name was. kava. . . Kavel. . . Kavala, that's it. Kavala began giving Timothy advice on interrogation, which caused shivers to go up his spine. Had he mistaken Timothy as a friend, when really he had just been trying to get information out of him? He was in the middle of mentally kicking himself for spacing out earlier, when Kavala began speaking again.

Of course, he realized, She would never allow just a stranger to take care of her birds. "No Ma'am, birds are special. It would not be right if you let just anyone take care of them." he agreed quickly. And he really did believe it, he had been stupid to assume that just because he said he could, people would believe. When his master had told people Kennen's skills, Kennen had often had to prove himself to them. Why would it be any different now that he was advertising for himself?

"I will work hard to prove myself." he would add after a moment, chewing on his lip as he mulled things over. On one hand he had just secured himself a position, but on the other hand it was to clean pens and cages. He had to start somewhere, but it hurt a little bit inside that his perfect plan hadn't worked out. It was still a success, just not as big of one as he would have liked.

But he didn't have time to think on it for to long, Kavala began speaking again and was asking for help. He didn't particularly like dogs, but if he was to prove himself to her and move up, he had to start somewhere. And besides, he didn't think the dogs particularly liked him to much either. None of them were as affectionate with him as the one Timothy was playing with, but they all seemed to accept him and that was enough.

He was just starting to rise, running a hand over one of the pups back as his new friend turned to him and talked excitedly about the baths. What was so exciting, baths were just the prerequisite to work inside. You cleaned yourself, sometimes put strange smelling oils on if rich customers were coming, and then came out wet. It definitely wasn't something to get excited over. It was certainly strange, this entire time Timothy had been withdrawn, only really smiling when he was talking about his cake or playing with the dog, but now mention getting clean and he was eager like one of the puppies. Maybe it's because he hadn't been a slave before? Was this how non-slaves were supposed to react to getting clean, being super happy? If so he had a lot of work ahead of him mimicking it.

But what was exciting was the mention of secret rooms underground. While he didn't have much opportunity to explore secrets, it was always a secret dream of his to discover a hidden room full of treasures. Perhaps there was one here, underneath the birds waiting for him to discover?

"Are there really secret rooms? Do you think I'd be able to see them?" He would ask timidly of Timothy, glancing nervously to Kavala. If they really were secret, then she might not like that he now knew of them. While he was excited about the prospect of discovering long lost secret rooms beneath The Sanctuary, he was afraid that this would lose him his chance here.

The mention of food however reminded him of something he had forgotten, "If we're getting food are we getting a cake for Timothy? He said it was his birthday, but that getting a cake was a joke. I'm not sure if the birthday part was a joke too or not, but I really wanted to try a cake." The words would tumble out of his mouth, Kennen tripping over some of the words in his eagerness as the thought of getting a cake and celebrating a birthday overtook him. He had never had the chance to celebrate one, and even if it wasn't his birthday he really wanted to see a cake and see what else was done to celebrate.
Pictures edited by Keene Ward
Kennen Dova
Spread your wings and fly, easy right?

Words: 24777
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2014, 9:16 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Caelum on January 5th, 2015, 3:10 pm

OOCI hope this is an alright place to drop in on y’all.

It had been a long morning in the herb garden. There was work still to do with Caelum’s vast collection of medicinal plants despite the darkening season. There were plants that required being cut down to the stumps in order to weather the winter and others that needed stripped and bagged. Still more Caelum dug up and transplanted and there was as well the last of the autumn harvest to collect.

Long hours had been labored since before dawn. This garden was precious to Caelum in ways it might have been difficult for someone else to understand. It was his to see to, and to assure it thrived. It was far more than mere mizas he had poured into collecting the seeds and starter plants that had begun the garden. It was a good-sized patch of his hopes and expectations as well. He was looking forward to spring, and seeing everything burst and renew itself again.

The end result of his morning, however, was filth. Complete and utter filth. He was covered in dirt and grass stains, soaked through with snow melts and smeared with mud. The fluffy spores from the undersides of a frond leaves had managed to somehow get into his hair and there was probably more dirt beneath his fingernails than there was left in the entire garden.

Therefore, by the time Kavala came into the underground baths trailing a pair of mischief making children, Caelum was already crawling out of the pool from a long soak and a thorough scrubbing. Tall, broad shoulders, and narrow hips, Caelum was strung up with noble bones, hard, lean muscle, and immortal flesh. A pair of gnosis marks glimmered, that of Rak’keli’s golden opalescence of the back of one hand and a stranger, wine colored chain looping over a hip and lower. It disappeared as he snaked a towel about his hips and blinked owlishly at the lot of them. He did not appear to be embarrassed or concerned. Of course, he had very little modesty left. A second towel was lifted to scrub at his hair around the curve of glimmering horns.

“Ah, gods. Cake?” His nose wrinkled right up as a veritable wave of cake-greed crashed into him. "What's with the cake?" He blew out a breath and narrowed his eyes at the lot of them, as if trying to determine the culprit, or maybe just the preferred flavor.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Timothy Mered on March 31st, 2015, 1:30 am

16th of Winter 514AV

oocI don't think Kennen is still around. I thought I'd move things forward. @Caelum For the record, I kinda assumed that our thread “These Eyes Deceive” took place at night? Hence Timothy would’ve seen Caelum in his Drykas form and not recognize him now. Or is that a wrong assumption?

"If we're getting food are we getting a cake for Timothy? “
“Not if, but when,” Timothy corrected, hardly stopping to think who exactly was going to pay for that. “I wasn’t joking. Pie would be good too,” he informed Kennen, “or just sweets in general. It’s only normal, how green can you get? Don’t they celebrate birthdays where you’re fro-“

Timothy stopped dead in his tracks. He’d only caught a glimpse of the nude man’s form but enough to see the strange mark slithering down his chiseled thigh. Had he not had horns protruding from his skull, Timothy would’ve deemed him an Akalak. He certainly had the build for it. A puzzled glance was shot at Kavala, seeking her approval that this was indeed a friend of hers, not some burglar or creep. It would be a stranger thief indeed who hid in someone’s underground bath. The thought curled his lips deviously. Technically, he’d been a bathtub thief when he’ d tried to snitch Gwin’s Violin. Biting his lips, Timothy tried to clear the thought from his mind. Too often his body language had betrayed him, and he had no desire to tell Kavala, or anyone else for that matter, just how many crimes he had committed this season. They didn’t need to know.

Kavala didn’t seem too distressed by the handsome visitor and his initial surprise almost immediately transformed into trust. A man with that kind of hair, those smooth horns, and a voice sweet as honey could simply not have bad intentions. Shrugging, Timothy stepped forward, pulled his shirt over his head and discarded it to the side. A mere tick later his boots were kicked off and added to the pile. He would’ve stripped down further and plunged in the warm water if the man hadn’t spoken just then.

A chill crept down his spine and his jaw slackened in awe when the man spoke. I’ve heard that voice before. He edged forward, disbelief wrinkling his forehead. “Cae- Caelum, is that you?” It was hard –no- impossible to believe that the dark-haired man he’d met earlier this season was one and the same as the figure standing before him. Yet there he was, sounding exactly like Alements bartender, and sporting an all too similar confidence.

Suddenly the bath, nor Kennen, nor Kavala, not even cake was that interesting anymore. Wide-eyed and barefooted, Timothy hesitantly walked over to where the Ethaefal stood, cocking his head to get a better look. A twinge pulled at his heartstrings as his eyes scanned the man once more. I wish my father was like him. He hadn’t asked for that thought to enter his mind, he didn’t even want to think it, yet there it was. Someone of such strength, such appeal, such confidence and with such a kind smile did more to melt his heart than Riverfall’s best chocolate cake ever could. Now that it had entered his mind, the thought stuck like a leech.

Struggling to unshackle himself from the man’s intoxicating allure, Timothy bit his lip again; hard, white teeth stabbing ferociously at the tender, rosy flesh. “Yeah it’s my birthday,” he raised and dropped his narrow shoulders. “My mother would always make me cake on my birthday,” he said as he returned to his pile and continued to undress. Every little hair on his skin stood attentive as he contemplated whether Kavala and Caelum would appreciate some mischief.

Probably. Hopefully.

Without warning, Timothy dive-bombed into the bath, sending a large splash over those unfortunate to stand nearby. Grinning from ear to ear he resurfaced a tick later. Emerald eyes found Caelum first. Despite the warmth of the water enveloping him, his innards grew cold, then warm, and then cold again. No one had ever before lured such a strong reaction from him, nor had he ever been as embarrassed by it. With a shudder he realized what attracted him so to the Ethaefal. In that statuesque figure he saw everything he desired to be. Strong, tall, beautiful, charming. Shrinking a little, he glanced at Kavala instead. “Soap?” Yet in the back of his mind, his thoughts remained latched onto Caelum. I wish I could be like him…

Timothy Mered
Determined

Words: 296697
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2014, 1:43 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kiva on February 1st, 2016, 5:38 pm

Such a Beautiful Thread . . .

It's quite a shame I can't give grades to the ones who wrote the most in this thread, nor that it was completed. :(

Timothy Mered
Aw, Shykes.
    Unfortunately, looks like I can't give you a grade because your ledger is out of date. You will need to deduct Spring 514 living expenses since you threaded during that time. Last but not least, I'm confused at your living expenses for Winter 514. It says you lived off pennies and that Kavala provided housing/food, however I don't believe that can count, especially since squalor/poor living is not something that really exists in Riverfall. I would suggest discussing the matter with a storyteller (*cough*Goss*cough*cough*), particularly since I'm worried that deducting your expenses would leave your miza amount in the negatives, which, in plain terms, means your character has died. If you come back and sort everything out, I'd be happy to post your grade, but until then, it will be withheld. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kennan Dova
Mother Petcher
    I will have to refrain from posting your grade as well, for a handful of reasons. The main one being that your CS has received an intervention which has yet to be removed. Your ledger and thread list are also out of date and require editing. When you have solved these problems, please PM and I will be more than happy to award your grade. Till then~

Kavala
XP
  • Investigation | 1
  • Intelligence | 1
  • Leadership | 1
  • Logic | 1
  • Planning | 1
  • Childcare | 1
  • Deduction | 1
  • Persuasion | 1
  • Business | 1
Lores
  • Timothy Mered: Born 16th of Winter
  • Persuading Children To Bathe
Miscellaneous
    I wish I could have read a few more posts from you, but I tried to find what I could skill wise. It was very interesting to read, not only Kavala's thought process when interacting with new people, but also how others perceived her. If I missed anything you wanted, I'm just a PM or whisper in chat away. :)

P.s: You make me really want to write my character adopting a dog. I must resist. >.>

Caelum
XP
  • Gardening | 1
    Cosmetology | 1
    Socialization | 1
    Observation | 1
Lores
  • Timothy Mered: Born 16th of Winter
  • Becoming An Child's Role Model
Miscellaneous
    Tragically this thread was cut short. You know I love to read posts from you. Hope to read some more in the future, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you more.

. . . I brought it a Treat.
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes