PM to join Ailing, Tiny and Tireless (Garland)

Devi is called to assist in the Syliras Orphanage and meets Garland, who in turn relives some old memories.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Ailing, Tiny and Tireless (Garland)

Postby Devi on January 7th, 2015, 11:30 pm

Apartments, Maiden District - Winter 11, 514 AV (Morning)

Just breathe. Breathe and ignore it and eventually they'll run out of energy.

Right. Because you haven't chanted that to yourself before...

Wynara the barmaid was an interesting woman. She could gossip better than anyone in their neighbourhood, she cooked, she cleaned. She seemed to have discovered some as yet unknown method method of surviving the day on a minimal amount of sleep. She had also spawned a personal army of tiny creatures, bent on terrorising all they met with their sheer level of tireless energy. They had unusual powers over the residents close to their apartment who, despite the chaos caused, saw them as sweet little things, incapable of causing anything any harm.

Devi seemed to be the only one immune to the spell. It may also be that she was simply lacking in any maternal instinct - the kind that seemed to spill out of the local women in droves. For now she was sticking with the theory that the children really were maniacal little terrors with magical abilities. Nothing else would explain people's absolute blindness when it came to their collective rampaging, or indeed the wide spectrum of physical features sported by Wynara's many offspring. Devi had delivered the youngest four and had their respective fathers pegged from their increasingly anxious demeanours during each of the pregnancies. Wynara's husband remained blissfully ignorant, choosing instead to boast of his great fertility and prowess as a father.

The best thing about it was that Wynara was practically a local hero, famed for her efforts to single-handedly repopulate the entire continent. She had eight children. Eight. Devi felt her loins protesting at the mere thought of it. Unfortunately the blonde twins and their dark-haired (or hearted) older sister seemed to have sensed her distracted state and were eagerly whispering into their red-headed brother's waiting ear. Devi shifted uneasily and turned her attention back to her patient.

"You seem to be coming along nicely Wynara. I'd say you have another season and a half to go. Anything unusual this time around?"

That was the pleasant thing about serial mothers - they knew their own expected symptoms inside out.

"Just the same old aches and pains love. Nothing I haven't lived through for the past decade."

Love. Devi grated at the use of the petname. Wynara didn't understand the meaning of the word and yet she threw it around as casually as she did her affections. Devi pasted an overly cheerful smile on her face before responding, the false happiness somewhat discordant with the screaming children circling the two of them like tribal warriors.

"Wonderful. I'll visit you from time to time just to check the little one's growing as it should."

The barmaid waved her off without so much as a thank you and returned to her day-to-day. Devi still had the cheerful smile glued to her face. She could feel her annoyance bubbling ever closer to the surface. The combination must have started to look quite unnerving because the children that had been partway through emptying the contents of her bag had stopped halfway through the crime, gaping openly at her. She retrieved her belongings and half-ran out into the corridor, her cheeks finally relaxing in relief. Striding firmly away from the apartment, she muttered darkly to herself.

"If I don't see another child in the next ten years it'll be too soon..."
Last edited by Devi on January 17th, 2015, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devi
Workaholic Syliran Doctor

Words: 223466
Joined roleplay: November 15th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on January 9th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Ahh kids... The bane of every serious adult in Syliras. Luckily, Garland is not like that, this peace loving knight is always up for a dash of chaoshere and there from time to time. Today he was given a strange assignment from his superiors, he needed to find this "Devi" and to get her to help with the doctors and nurses at the Welcome Home Orphanage.

It has been snowing a lot, and as kids are, they WILL play in the snow, and they WILL get sick, and they will need medical staff and medical stuff for that matter.

Garland was walking out in the street, soft white colored snow cracked under his metal boot. There was a lovely crunch and clunk as he walked, he was half tempted to make a snow angel.

With a small smile he did just that, He spread out his arms and fell back onto the soft snow. "I just love being a kids." He moved his arms up and down and his legs spreading and closing, pushing the snow to form a bulky looking snow angel. "Ha! Snow! Love the stuff."

He got up and stretched his arms and legs. "Right... Now to look around for that Devi person." He heard that she may be in the maiden district with one of her regular patients. He doesn't know where though, and with Garland's terrible memory, he already forgot what the description is. He walked up to a serious looking woman, and greeted her. "Hello, I was wondering if you could maybe help me find someone."

He stopped and thought about what she looked like. "I think she had red-ish hair? Umm... Sorta like yours... Her name is Devi I think." He had no idea that he was talking to the person he was looking for. "I would really appreciate the help though."
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Devi on January 16th, 2015, 11:07 pm

With her cheeks aching from the false cheer and her thoughts whirling from another round with the most promiscuous barmaid in the District, Devi almost ran into the young man walking purposefully towards her.

"Hello, I was wondering if you could maybe help me find someone."

It took her a moment to clear her mind and adjust to the change of pace, so much so that she completely missed the socially acceptable window of greeting.

"I think she had red-ish hair? Umm... Sorta like yours... Her name is Devi I think."

The mention of her own name only served to add to her surprise. It seemed to be thrown around a lot more than it used to be and not even for the steady gossip she and Ronan endured as teenagers. People actually recommended her. Her, the sarcastic healer with 'unhealthy fascinations'. Either she was missing some terrible joke or her community really did contain residents that trusted her.

She peered at her new acquaintance, trying to put her finger on what it was that she found so odd about him. He had the kind of height and build that teenagers tended to, when they grew upwards faster than outwards. Standing as he was with an ornate sword hanging at his hip she would guess that he was one of the Knighthood’s younger recruits. That wasn’t what was niggling at her though.

"I would really appreciate the help though."

The phrase brought her mind back to the present moment and the need to respond. It was then that it hit her however. Her eyes raked over his flushed cheeks and the flakes of snow that lingered on his shoulders. He was cheerful out here; perky.

“You actually enjoy being out here don’t you?” She marvelled at the thought. The desire to be out of the Stronghold’s innards she understood but the cold was something to be endured, not enjoyed. She shook her head and addressed his actual question.

“If it’s Devi the doctor you’re looking for then you’ve found her. What magnanimous favour does the Knighthood require of me now?”

It might have come off as a little rude. People throwing her name around was one thing. Knights knowing it was another thing entirely. Rarely had she personally met a knight or knight-to-be that wasn’t interested in her particular set of skills more above anything else. Still, she should know better than to take it out on every new one she met and found herself hoping that the young knight would miss the slight against his kin.
Devi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on January 17th, 2015, 4:06 am

"You're Devi? Oh, It's a pleasure to meet you, ma'am." He gave a small bow, trying to be as formal as he can without seeming like an idiot or something. "Oh, the knighthood wanted to ask for your help, the orphanage has filled a request and needs a few capable healers and doctors to help." He said and gave a nervous smile. He didn't know why they wanted to get Devi to get specifically, but he wasn't in a position to question.

"The snow? Oh, yes I love the snow... Well, I don't... It's all a matter of circumstance. The air is cold, but the snow is quite fun to play in if you want, snowballs, snowmen, snow angels and such. A lot of the kids enjoy it, hence is why we need a doctor to help with the orphanage, the kids have been playing a bit too much in the snow and have gotten themselves sick, there are a few doctors there already, but they need all the help they can get." He said and looked at the general direction of the orphanage. "So... Are you going to help or not?"

He waited for Devi to answer and then he actually forgot to introduce himself first. "Oh, right... My name's Garland, nice to meet you." He extended his hand to offer a handshake.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Devi on January 31st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Devi smiled a little at the formal bow the young knight offered which slipped somewhat at the mention of the Orphanage. She wondered how she had come to the Knighthood’s attention for this particular task. Most of the time she avidly attempted to avoid them and in return they seemed equally content with ignoring her. Still, she could tell from his demeanour that the man in front of her wasn’t the origin of the request and instead seemed to be following orders to locate her and request her help.

She listened to him talk about playing in the snow with a glint of mischief in his eyes and wondered if he wasn’t half a kid himself. Devi appreciated the kind of fun you could only have in the Winter and often found herself watching hordes of children building, playing and destroying until their limbs went numb. She found herself watching it for about a minute before she found herself desiring a nice, toasty hearth instead.

As the young knight introduced himself as Garland he extended a hand in friendly greeting. She extended her own gloved hand to complete the handshake before she responded.

“If the Knighthood requests it then how can I say no?” She said it jovially though a twinge of sarcasm crept into the words. If she was in their notice for whatever reason she needed to tread carefully. That meant being as helpful as possible until she knew more. With luck she was just being overly cautious and one of the people in her neighbourhood had dropped her name into consideration.

“Lead on Garland.” She said, gesturing politely.

As they began walking Devi shook her head in resignation. The Orphanage… If it was fate leading her footsteps then fate had an odd sense of humour. She didn’t understand children and they tended not to like her much. It was an unspoken agreement much like the one she imagined with the Knighthood. She had treated plenty of children of course but there were always parents around to control them (or at the very least serve as the primary target for their boundless energy). Now Devi was walking towards the city orphanage. Home to all of the parentless children in the city. Gods help me…
Devi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on February 1st, 2015, 8:02 am

He smiled when she made a slightly sarcastic joke. "I guess you can't really say no to the knights, anyway. Follow me."

The streets were covered in frosted beauty, snow everywhere, the ground was cold yet beautiful, like an artist that just spilled paint on his canvas and decided to work with it. It was a strange kind of beauty. He loved the snow, the treaded path had many prints from either knights or citizens from the city, people that needed to go out to do things in the city, buying supplies and such.

They both walked through the streets and into the open grounds of the orphanage. There Garland saw a familiar face.

"Sergeant Wade!" He stood at guard and saluted the ranking knight. "Ser, what are you doing here?"

"Just checking up on the children, Garland. It has been a long time since I've seen you, boy. How have you been?" He asked, with a gruff and serious expression. Garland had known Uncle Wade for a long time now, he visits the orphanage from time to time.

"I've been fine, Ser. I'm just here on an assignment to help the children that are sick today. I brought one of the local doctors here to help out." He pointed to Devi. "How are things in there?"

"Most of the children are sick, but still very energetic, which is a good thing I believe. Anyway, I must get back to my patrols, it was nice seeing one of the children follow the path of the knighthood." With that, Wade left to head back out to his patrol.

"Come on, Devi. Inside." He said and opened the door into the orphanage.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Devi on February 1st, 2015, 10:11 pm

Barely had they walked through the gates of the Orphanage grounds than Garland called out to someone he knew, a more senior ranked knight from the looks of it. As they exchanged pleasantries Devi studied the man. He had a serious look about him and held himself with the kind of discipline that one only tended to find in the military. He appeared to be the kind of person who never really relaxed themselves, who was always on alert. It was the kind of quality that Devi found simultaneously calming and unnerving. She felt her stomach churning a little at the contradiction. That said, it might have been the din of childish voices emerging from the nearby building that had her feeling nauseous.

Devi nodded politely to the knight and ducked inside the door that Garland held open for her. What met her eyes inside reminded her of one of Ronan’s tales about the make-believe people who lived outside of the wall. Tiny creatures darted this way and that in front of her, a few pushing past to get outside into the waiting snow. They were laughing and screaming and crying and stomping and playing and sleeping. Devi had no idea how so many discordant actions could be displayed before her all at once. She found herself frozen in the doorway, not moving lest she find herself the sole attention of the small people.

Out of the corner of her eye she felt movement beside her and jumped unintentionally. Garland moved into view, observing the room with an expression quite different to her own. She couldn’t quite place what it was but he seemed comfortable here. That said, the majority of the city would likely appear more comfortable here than she did at that moment.

Together they moved through a few tightly-packed corridors before stepping through to a large sleeping area. It was quieter here, any noises made were from softly spoken words or groans of pain. There were a lot of sick kids here and a fair few doctors or attendants flitting around where they were needed. Noone seemed to have noticed the two of them enter, absorbed as they were with their own tasks. Garland shifted beside her as though to leave and she found herself clutching his arm in mild panic.

“You don’t have to leave just yet do you? It looks like they’re pretty short here and I could certainly use a hand getting started.” She didn’t really give him much time to respond before turning to the nearest sick-bed, half-dragging him with her.
Devi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on February 2nd, 2015, 2:16 pm

Gah! Tiny Munchkins! Garland thought as several tiny kids ran out and into the snow. "Well, hope you're ready to take care of some kids."

After a short walk through the tight and familiar corridors of the orphanage, a strange nostalgia was filling him, he hated this place, but this was still home, and he can't change his home.

When they reached the sick ward, he looked around to see a few dozen kids all in their bed and coughing, looking very ill. He saw a little girl in the corner, in a small bed, hugging a small patchwork teddy bear. He knows this little girl, he had played with her in the snow this winter.

He looked over to Devi, rather content that Devi can help these little trouble makers. He was about to turn and head back out, but then he felt a hand grab his arm.

“You don’t have to leave just yet do you? It looks like they’re pretty short here and I could certainly use a hand getting started.”

"Uh, I won't lea- woah." They went over to Sarah's bed and leaned down to his tiny friend. "Hello you little troublemaker." He grabbed Sarah's hand and gave a comforting smile. "How is my favorite little girl doing today?"

Sarah gave a small sniff. "Sick..." She coughed and hugged the blanket that was wrapped around her. Garland was a little sad to see this little girl so sad, but he wasn't about to let her down.

"Well, my good friend, Devi here will take good care of you." He said and got up, and pressed his fingers on Sarah's nose. "Excuse me while I take your nose." He pulled his hand away and hid it behind his back.

"Uhh! Gimmie!" She reached towards Garland, but fell back down to her bed with a slight "hmmpt" and a pout.

"I'll give it back if you promise to stay still while doctor Devi here will fix you right up." Sarah nodded and laid back down on bed.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Devi on February 12th, 2015, 12:18 am

Devi watched the exchange with barely concealed bemusement. Children had always baffled her. They saw the world with the kind of uncensored, honest eyes that grown men and women found unsettling. She had yet to find one that was genuinely interested in medicine and so had very little ground with which to get to know one. Who knew that pretending to steal a facial feature could settle a little girl enough to be treated?

Devi smiled at the pale little face and asked the girl for her name. The girl told her it was Sarah but didn’t say anything further. The doctor settled for examining Sarah’s condition, feeling the temperature of her forehead, looking in her mouth and feeling gently around her neck and some of her limbs. The symptoms seemed consistent with infections common during the Winter months. It seemed to spread wherever people were packed together, which in Syliras was pretty much everywhere.

She asked Garland to seek out a few supplies from the Orphanage, some cups and hot water for starters. Devi looked around at the other doctors that had arrived to help and saw each absorbed in their work. She endured a searching look from a rather severe looking woman but whatever the woman saw must have satisfied her as she moved on without even blinking. She thanked Garland when he returned with the items she’d asked for, noticing as she did so that Sarah seemed much happier when the young knight was around.

“Thank you for staying to help me. I understand that you must have a busy schedule but you seem so at ease with the children here.”

Devi still couldn’t identify the expression that Garland had been carrying on his face since they arrived. In the end curiosity won out over courtesy and she ventured a question.

“Do your duties bring you to the Orphanage often? The smaller residents seem to like having you around.” She smiled a little at Sarah who, true to her word, was lying still whilst Devi ministered to her.
Devi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on February 12th, 2015, 12:43 pm

He smiled as Devi started working on his little friend. He felt out of place here honestly.

When Devi told him to get some hot water, he didn't waste any time and bolted out to get some supplies. He placed the cups on the end table and watched as Devi worked on Sarah.

He smiled because Sarah was being such a good little trooper. Though she seemed a bit uncomfortable with Devi looking her over and checking her symptoms. Everyone seemed to be busy doing something, and the kids seem to be very miserable.

He might have a plan or two in his head to break the boring and depressing atmosphere of the orphanage.

“Thank you for staying to help me. I understand that you must have a busy schedule but you seem so at ease with the children here.”

"No problem, I'm always glad to spend some time with the kids." He said and gave a playful wink towards Sarah.

She gave a small giggle and looked patiently at Devi, waiting for her to finish her check up.

“Do your duties bring you to the Orphanage often? The smaller residents seem to like having you around.”

"Hmm, not really. Its just... I was raised here, these little munchkins are like family. Heck they are family. I don't get to visit very often, but if I do see any of them outside when I'm patrolling I'm always available to help them out. I try my best to be like a big brother to them, but... Well... I guess I'm not doing the best, I should spend some more time with these guys." He said and waited for Devi to finish up with Sarah.

After she was done he went over and pressed his fingers on Sarah's nose. "Ta da! They're back!"
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next