Creating a Mixed Blood

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Creating a Mixed Blood

Postby Xii on February 14th, 2015, 1:44 am

Hello! I've been considering creating a character that is Mixed Blood (in particular, half-Zith). But I've got a lot of questions cropping up concerning history and race and things like that. I was hoping someone could help, maybe.

1.) Could a Kelvic mother + Zith father produce a Human-Zith Mixed Blood offspring? I read that Kelvics can produce Human children, but I didn't know if they could produce a half-Human child with a Zith, because of this passage in the Mixed Blood lore:
There are no half-Kelvics. A Kelvic mixed with another race almost always produces that race rather than a mixed or pure Kelvic.

That makes it seem like the child would usually be born a full Zith.

On the other hand, I saw this passage in the Kelvic lore:
Kelvics will produce normal humans from mating with normal humans (there are no half Kelvics) or a normal mixed blood non-Kelvic from mating with other species (Kelvic plus an Isur for example would produce a Mixed blooded).

I just want to be sure that my Mixed Blood could be Human-Zith but still have Kelvic-Zith parentage.

2.) Would a Kelvic-Zith coupling typically produce a single child, or twins? Zith produce twins as a matter of course; Kelvics usually produce one child, with twins being rare.

3.) How would a Human-Zith Mixed Blood age? I looked at the Mixed Blood lore, but it didn't seem to give specifics. I know Humans can live up to 100 (depending on circumstances), but Zith only live to their 50's. Would a half-Zith have the accelerated lifespan of the Zith? The typical lifespan of a Human? Or should I just split the difference, and assume the child could potentially live to 75 years?

4.) Can Mixed-Blood Zith eat raw meat, or does it have to be cooked?

5.) Would the Human offspring of a Kelvic inherit any characteristics of their Kelvic parent (increased eyesight, hearing, a particular appetite, etc.)?

6.) Can a Kelvic bond to a Zith? At first I was under the impression that Kelvics could only bond to Humans, but then I read this in the Kelvic lore:
Kelvics cannot bond to other kelvics, ever. They must bond to sentient peoples only.
That makes it seem like they should be able to bond to most any other race.

7.) Can Zith be granted gnosis? I wanted to have a starting gnosis of some sort (not sure what type yet), but I didn't know if being half-Zith affected the chances... after all, the Zith only worship one god-like being, the Winged God, an Alvina that was destroyed during the Valterrian.

8.) Can "civilized" Zith become interested in the sciences (like biology and medicine)? Or would that be too against their animalistic nature?

9.) Are "civilized" Zith not allowed in Zeltiva, even if they wish to pursue knowledge?

Sorry for asking so much, and thanks for any help! Sad thing is I might have even more questions as I go along.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"
Xii is "speaking Pavi" and also signing Pavi Note
Signed Pavi can also be represented by a person's total body language; it doesn't have to be an actual hand sign.

Xii is demonstrating her internal emotions. Anything in plain, uncolored italics should be considered completely internal; for example, if it says that Xii is sneering she is only doing so in her mind, and the sneer would likely not show as a physical expression unless otherwise stated. This is a way for me, as her writer, to differentiate between her true feelings and what she outwardly shows the world. Note
If the italics thing feels too confusing to me after I've tried using it in some posts, I'll remove it.
Xii
Drykas-Zith

Words: 143088
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2015, 7:47 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Creating a Mixed Blood

Postby Gossamer on February 14th, 2015, 1:59 am

HI there.

1. That would be really really rare. Kelvics usually breed with only humans and then its rare they produce kelvics, but just usually normal humans. I would move the timeline back and say that one parent was a full human off of a kelvic human mating and leave it at that.
A kelvic would never produce a full Zith.

2. Probably just one… but twins wouldn’t be unheard of. Mostly they are fraternal, not identical.
3. You’d split the difference. Hardly anyone on Miz reaches full maturity or old age. The world is just too dangerous so I don’t think its something that you really need to worry about.
4. Mixed bloods would need to cook meat to avoid disease. Anyone, even humans, can eat raw meat, but it makes them vulnerable to disease.
5. Human offspring of kelvics do not gain racial bonuses of kelvics ie… increased eyesight, hearing, etc.
6. Yes, a kelvic could bond to a zith. It wouldn’t be a first choice, because after all zith are barely above animals themselves, but it is possible. The kelvic wouldn’t be particularly smart or knowledgeable and would be more animalistic and dull mentally. They reflect their bondmate’s intelligence especially if they bond later in life, so you have to put that into context. Zith don’t have high IQ’s.
7. Zith can get gnosis.
8. You can civilize monkeys and they can be interested in sciences, but it doesn’t mean they turn into creatures seen in Planet of the Apes movies. The monkey is still a monkey. A Zith is a Zith. They are animalistic.
9. I have no idea about ZEltiva. Fire a PM off to Perplexity.

Hope that helps.

Goss
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Creating a Mixed Blood

Postby Xii on February 14th, 2015, 2:14 am

Wow, thanks a lot! Such a fast reply.

3.) I was mainly wondering not because I thought my character would last that long, but because general lifespan might affect how fast the Mixed Blood ages as a child. But it appears like she should age about the same as a regular Human, so no problem!

6. and 8.) Zith don't have high IQ? I guess I was equating adaptability and curiosity to general intelligence. Would a half-Zith have a stunted IQ, then?

To clarify, I was wondering about a Zith's interest in bio and medicine because I thought one of them might become interested in lifespan and physiology (specifically, how to live longer than a mere 50 years and how to work at being physically sturdier-- sort of a way to 'improve' their race so they can become even more dominant). I was not planning on my character herself really getting into this-- mainly, it was a backstory for her father (who is a full Zith). Is that completely out of question? I mean, Zith are interested in breeding better slaves (which involves aspects of biology) and can produce wonderful art (which I assumed took some sort of smarts). But maybe I was overestimating them.

9.) I will do that!
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"
Signed Pavi can also be represented by a person's total body language; it doesn't have to be an actual hand sign.

Xii is demonstrating her internal emotions. Anything in plain, uncolored italics should be considered completely internal; for example, if it says that Xii is sneering she is only doing so in her mind, and the sneer would likely not show as a physical expression unless otherwise stated. This is a way for me, as her writer, to differentiate between her true feelings and what she outwardly shows the world. Note
If the italics thing feels too confusing to me after I've tried using it in some posts, I'll remove it.
Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Creating a Mixed Blood

Postby Fable on February 14th, 2015, 2:17 am

Zith are killed on sight in Zeltiva, to answer 9. :)
Fable
A yarn is spun from many strings.

Words: 267393
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 6:17 pm
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Creating a Mixed Blood

Postby Xii on February 14th, 2015, 2:26 am

Darn, and right after I sent a PM to Perplexity to ask about it. I should've checked back here sooner. Still, thanks for answering!

If you're still here, do you know how a half-Zith would be received? I'm planning for my character to be pretty young, maybe 12. So I don't know if she would still be seen as a threat...?
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Creating a Mixed Blood

Postby Fable on February 14th, 2015, 2:28 am

I am not as sure about half-zith. If you can hide the physical characteristics, you may be alright. People might give you funny looks and you'd be the first in a suspect for murder or theft, I'd assume. That one Perplexity would know for sure, though. Sorry I couldn't be of more use on that!
Fable
A yarn is spun from many strings.

Words: 267393
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 6:17 pm
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Creating a Mixed Blood

Postby Xii on February 14th, 2015, 2:31 am

No, it's fine! I appreciate your helpfulness!
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Creating a Mixed Blood

Postby Matthew on February 14th, 2015, 2:36 am

You might find this post to be useful if you haven't already read it, as well as other links that are found at the bottom of the Zith wiki article. That link mentions that Zith love to learn and are very good at it as well.

I wouldn't think of it in terms of IQ, though. The Zith have their own unique way of thinking and their own sphere of interests that don't fit very well into the idea of traditional IQ. It is certainly possible to have a brilliant Zith or Half-Zith, but I would imagine it to be a very different sort of brilliance. Brilliantly cruel, brilliantly brutal, etc. As Gossamer mentioned, they are described as animalistic and instinctual.

So, I wouldn't imagine a Zith would turn to traditional human science and medicine. A half-Zith would be more likely to have an interest, in my opinion. Of course, the wiki does mention the more civilized sorts of Zith, and it might be very interesting to roleplay a constant struggle against animal instincts while trying to further that civilized side of himself.

Hope this helps with your remaining questions.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Creating a Mixed Blood

Postby Xii on February 14th, 2015, 2:40 am

Yes, thank you too! So many answers, and so quickly. I didn't see that link, so thanks a ton! I'll be sure to read it.

And really, thanks again to all of you!

EDIT: Just finished reading the link. Very informing. I wish some of that was in the wiki.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Creating a Mixed Blood

Postby Xii on February 14th, 2015, 3:49 am

So, I was researching gnosis and found one that I kind of like: Illusionism (and another I'm intrigued by, Vexation, but I figure Illusionism might be better for a new character). I'm not quite certain how my character would get chosen for it, but I'm sure I could figure something out.

So a couple questions.
1.) Can Illusionism be granted upon birth (as some gnosis can be), or must it be given later in life (childhood and up)? I assume later in life, but I thought I'd ask regardless.

2.) Could a player combine the Illusionism and Vexation marks? Vexation makes it so a person has to cause pain or feel it themselves. Could you use Illusionism to cause pain to others without actually ever touching them, and would that count towards Vexation? If you killed someone using an Illusion, would that count as well?

3.) This one's not so much about a gnosis; it's about Hypnotism. Can you learn Hypnotism naturally without any teacher (or without reading how in a book)? I ask because Hypnotism says it's a more instinctual magic, and since Zith (and half-Zith) are kind of about following their instincts, I thought maybe that would be a good fit for my character.

I feel like I shouldn't keep asking all these questions, but I guess this is the place to do so.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next