Quest Give Me An Inch

The second obelisk awakens. With it...Zeltiva's uncertain future.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Give Me An Inch

Postby Perplexity on February 8th, 2015, 12:54 am

38th of Winter, 514 AV
Late Evening

Tranaris had taken a reprieve from his normal post. He stood within the confines of his office with a mulled wine in one hand and a pipe in the other. He puffed on the pipe thoughtfully. The elder gentleman seemed to have aged infinitely in the days that had unfolded since the Awakening of the obelisks. The first one had brought with it chaos. Absolute chaos. The wave that had brought several buildings in the lower parts of the city tumbling down and nearly half of it awash with muck had only been the beginning of the city’s troubles that season. His first worry had been that the ships, Zeltiva’s pride, Zeltiva’s life, had been reduced to splinters. Fortunately there had only been minor losses on that front. He took a sip of his wine staring out the window of his office.

As if the city hasn’t suffered enough.” Tranaris sometimes wondered how badly Zeltiva must have angered the gods for the suffering that had been inflicted upon his people these past years. His recent memory was filled with nothing but woe and hardship. He took a deep breath in through his nose and let it out through his mouth before puffing on the pipe thoughtfully. His office was one of the more elaborate within the Lord of Council’s Office building, Zeltiva’s city hall spared few expenses in the way of pomp and circumstance for its leaders. He cast a glance to the warm fire that burned steadily in the grand fireplace. It was just as he brought his glass up to drink from it again that the sky was illuminated though the night had fallen upon Zeltiva. Tranaris’s old eyes fell upon the spire of light that rocketed forth into the eternal blackness of the night sky not with fear, but with weariness. The rumble that shook the very foundations of Zeltiva that followed barely made the old secretary flinch.

The keening screech filled the air, a noise he likened to rusted gates screaming open for the first time in centuries, made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. Still, Tranaris Johnson did not flinch. There was only the slightest furrowing of his brow even as the light blinked out of existence heralding another tidal wave from the second awakening. This one…would bring it with so much more destruction than the first.

Tranaris downed the rest of his wine in a few gulps. He turned from the window grabbing the decanter on his desk pouring himself another drink. As he sloshed the wine around in its glass a knocking interrupted his train of thought.

Come in.” His voice was firm. Someone had to be in this hour of darkness. As soon as the command left his lips in slipped a thin man. He was a middle-aged human with greying hair and dark brown eyes. Tranaris gave him a nod before taking a seat behind his desk.

Sir.

I know. Prepare for the damages. That is all we can do.” The middle-aged man nodded but looked as if he had more to say. Tranaris gave him an arching of a silver eyebrow as he puffed on his pipe.

There’s more, Sir.

Oh? What is it?” The middle-aged man shook his head.

It is best you see them for yourself, Sir.” Both of the older man’s eyebrow rose up at that.

Them?” He rose from his desk leaving the glass of wine upon its surface as the middle-aged man gestured for him to follow. He strode out of his office following the man through the halls of the building until they arrived at the lobby of the Lord of Council’s Office. What was waiting there stopped Tranaris dead in his tracks. The pipe slipped from his hand bouncing onto the floor spilling ash onto the marble.

Standing silently, the picture of ghosts conjured from a long forgotten memory, was a woman draped in scarlet robes. Her hands were clasped in front of her, her face obscured by her hood. But Tranaris knew. He knew exactly who she was and who had sent her. As if sensing his presence she tilted her head up though her face remained hidden. Tranaris felt pinned by her unseen gaze.

It has been quite some time, Tranaris.” Her voice held within it the richness of culture and education. The old secretary found himself warmed by it in spite of winter’s chill. He shivered taking the steps carefully as he made his way down. His associate gave the woman a bow who offered him a nod. Tranaris did the same when he reached the floor to which he received the same courtesy.

To what do we owe the pleasure, Melara?” The woman, presumably this Melara, gave Tranaris a smile.

You know why I am here.” Yes. Yes he did. Before he could inquire further though she reached into the folds of her robes. Tranaris stiffed and relaxed only when she withdrew a rolled piece of parchment extending it to him. He accepted it unfurling it without hesitation. He arched an eyebrow.

These are the names then?” Melara nodded. The old man sighed nodding turning to his associate who stepped forward. Tranaris extended the parchment to the man.

Find them. Bring them here. As for His Honor, the Lord of Council, I will fetch him. He would have wanted to know this anyways.” Without question or hesitation the middle-aged man strode out of the Lord of Council’s office intent on the task that he’d just been given. Tranaris sighed running a hand over his face. He stared at the red robed woman who had gone to stand near one of the grand windows of the office building.

He is sure about this?” Melara turned from her attention from the city that lay outside the walls of the office compound.

He is certain of everything he does.” With that Tranaris gave her a bow. While his associate tracked down and gathered the others listed, he would have to fetch the glorious Ignotus Everto. If there was one name he wished hadn’t been listed, it was that one. Still, it was time to set to work.
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Give Me An Inch

Postby Molly Barlow on February 9th, 2015, 2:35 am

The first obelisk had seemed terrifying. The second was terrifying and expected in the sense that Zeltiva could not catch a break and neither could Molly. This time she was not so near the damage, relatively safe within her cottage Molly still heard the shriek and felt the burgeoning damage shake the cities foundations. Already she could feel the rush of water between her toes. “Leo? You alright?”

Molly hurried to his side to make sure the jarring had bothered him too much but it seemed he had slept through it. With a sigh she smoothed out the frown between his eyes then made to the door to check on the bees. The constant moisture wouldn’t be good for the hives, not with the cold and wind there could be damage if she wasn’t careful. She hurried to wrap herself in her cloak then rushed to the door and was almost hit in the face by a hand.

“Gods!”

“Barlow residence?”

“One of them,” Molly said, “who’re you looking for?”

“Molly Barlow.”

“They live…me?”

“Please follow me to the Lord Councils Office, they’ve requested you’re presence.”

The beekeeper was at a loss; she had nothing to do with politics, not even the business side, it may be her families business but they were the owners. Questions were on the tip of her tongue but this was just the messenger, he wouldn’t know anything more than her. Bidding her still sleeping husband a quick goodbye, Molly hurried after the messenger, her mind growing more and more worried with each passing second.

-

Molly entered the Lord of Council’s Office, surprised to see it stood fine and that everyone inside the building was fine. The secretary stood at the desk as if the city wasn’t falling to pieces outside and there were even any others she noticed, and she wondered if she looked as confused as she felt. There was nothing on the secretary’s face that gave any answers either, unsure she introduced herself.

“Hello,” Molly stepped foreword slowly, eyes flicking down to the nameplate, “Tranaris, I’m Molly Barlow. I was requested?”

It came out more like a question than intended and Molly winced. She wondered if her parents had changed something in the important business and forgot to tell her to talk to the office but she couldn’t think of anything different. It was after that Molly noticed the other person, bright and obvious in the robe and ignored in her nervousness. Again, she repeated her introduction, sounding no surer than before and unable to stop herself from nervously clenching her hands and biting her lip to stop a torrent of questions that would probably not be welcome.
Molly Barlow
Busy Bees

Words: 32235
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2015, 12:11 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Give Me An Inch

Postby Halvar Frostfawn on February 9th, 2015, 10:34 am

Halvar's nude form lay sprawled on his bed, the rough, brown blanket he owned covering perhaps half an ankle. He was exhausted, and sleep had taken him easily that evening. Troubled times put plenty of coin in a mercenary's pocket, and Halvar had suffered no lack of employment that season. An ear splitting screech pierced the cloud of unconsciousness around Halvar, yanking him back to reality. Eyes snapping open, a startled Halvar rolled off his bed in a tangle of limbs, hitting the ground with a thud.
"Petch!" he grunted. Rubbing idly at his backside, it took the half-dazed Halvar another handful of ticks to achieve proper lucidity. That screeching...
By Morwen. The sound was unmistakable; another obelisk was awakening. Eyes widening in fear, the mercenary sprung quickly to his feet. Even as he scrambled to clothe himself, Halvar could feel a faint, distant rumbling growing ever closer. Almost tripping as he wrestled to pull up his trousers prompted a hasty curse from the man. Disaster had reared its ugly head. Again.

As Halvar finished securing his leather pauldrons into position, a frantic knock pounded furiously at the door. Not wanting to waste any time, Halvar was quick to open it, revealing a young man. If the horrified look on his face was anything to go by, things were already bad, and heading steadily towards becoming worse.
"What is it?" Halvar snapped.
"Halvar Frostfawn?" the man asked between ragged breaths. He'd been running, Halvar realised.
"Speaking," he replied, his tone leaving no question that he expected the man to get to the point.
"Your presence has been requested at the Lord Council's Office. I need you to come with me." The urgency in his own voice was plain.
"Right. Let's move!" Halvar galvanised the messenger into action with a slap to his back, and the pair took off at a brisk jog. The mercenary was confused as to why he'd been summoned, but didn't have the time to ask questions. If anything, the Lord Council's Office would give him answers, he hoped. Besides, he suspected the city was in no mood to have their requests denied.

There was panic in the streets, but Halvar forced himself to ignore it, instead focusing on his breathing. With every step his boots pushed firmly against the cobbled streets, some more cracked than others. Like this, both he and the messenger quickly worked their way through the city. The Wave Guard were out in full force, working tirelessly to maintain order and quell the rising chaos. Smoke. Was there a fire? Probably. Halvar cursed. The mercenary could only hope the frightened citizens didn't riot. He suspected there would be enough blood shed without that happening.

Pushing into the main reception area of the Lord Council's Office, Halvar saw that the place was a hive of activity. Messengers were coming and going. Workers bustled about reporting damages, relaying orders, and simply trying to distract themselves from thinking about the chaos lying in wait just outside their doors. Without a word, the messenger that collected Halvar rushed down a corridor, giving no indication that Halvar should follow.
"Solid communication skills, that kid," Halavar murmered dryly to himself. Crossing his arms, Halvar leaned against a wall and waited. More likely than not, the messenger had gone to fetch whoever was in charge.
Sodding politicians better not keep me waiting though, he thought. All things considered, he suspected his wait would be brief.

OOCAwesome! Let's get this bad boy going. I haven't taken part in a thread with so many posters before, so any notes about improving my posts to better fit the format will be well received. :)
ImageImageImage

"Halvar's Words"
Halvar's Thoughts
"Other"

"Reimancers are an arrogant lot, really. 'Ladies love fireballs,' they say. Bah! Bet they've never been to Sunberth; whores there will give you the nastiest case of fireballs you've ever had." - An overheard story
Halvar Frostfawn
Mercenary. Woodsman. Storyteller.

Words: 26573
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 6:11 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Give Me An Inch

Postby Ulric Everard on February 9th, 2015, 10:15 pm

With the noise of a loud screech Ulric, always a light sleeper, was awoken. The noise, unfortunately familiar to him from the time the first Obelisk came to life, sent him into a panic. He had dragged his boat up to his house after it had been frozen into the bay earlier in the season. He might have looked like a fool, dragging it up and down the street every day, but Gods be damned if he was going to have it frozen into the ice again. He knew the destructive power of the Obelisks, and knew that, worse than having it frozen into the bay, just a small amount of water could whisk the untied boat away. Petch, petch, petch. Got to get that tied or something.

Ulric ran outside his house and, without a coat on, and twisted the boat up on it's side. The boat, on it's side was probably about three and a half feet tall at the highest point, and it barely fit through the door of his house. There wasn't much room to get the boat into the small house that he had, but the cramped condition was better than losing the boat that he had spent all of his money on, that was his livelihood.

Having put the boat in his house, he put his coat on and went outside to watch the events that were going on. It was here that the messenger found him, outside of his house watching for the destruction.

"Ulric Everard?"

"Aye, what do you want?"

"Your presence has been requested at Lord Council's office. Please come with me."

The boy that came by was short and thin, but he seemed fit. He had clearly been running out to Ulric's house, probably sent directly from the Council's Office to find Ulric. He had no idea why he was needed but he did know that he had more than a little bit of resentment towards the people in charge of the city, but kept that mostly to himself.

"Well, I don't see why I'm needed. But if I am I'll come."

The boy nodded and took off at a run, Ulric was only able to keep up because his legs were longer, not because he was faster. The people along the way looked terrified, knowing as Ulric did, exactly what was happening. The destruction of last time was horrifying, and it could be just as bad as this time. He passed a great number of people standing outside watching in the direction of the bay, as Ulric had for the beginning of the destruction.

It appeared that Ulric was not the first to arrive at the grandiose council building, as he entered the building he was given no further instruction as the message buy ran off into one of the rooms. It didn't take much searching to see Halvar standing, with a similar look of confusion as Ulric did. It was good to see someone he knew, especially someone that he respected as much as Halvar.

"Hello Halvar, what are you doing here? Petch, it has been a hell of a morning." Ulric said as stepping up to stand next to Halvar to wait for the message boy to come back or for someone else to tell him what to do.
Ulric Everard
Player

Words: 15463
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2015, 1:21 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Give Me An Inch

Postby Alija on February 10th, 2015, 5:29 pm

From inside the Armed Scholar, Alija didn't realise that the second obelisk had awakened until the ground shook and screams came from the street outside. She was only glad that Rals had made her stay late, for the whole thing seemed better from inside beside the raging flames. But she had no idea what was safe and what wasn't, what had happened to her cottage.

She rushed out, running through the crowds of people watching with fear. She kept her head down, following her feet through the streets to her home. She wasn't the only one who was rushing to get there. A young man arrived at the door seconds before her, knocking at it with hard blows.

"Yes?" she asked, stopping beside him, "I live there. Alija, Alija Piper."

"Your presence has been requested at the Lord Council's Office. Follow me please," he answered sharply, breaking into a run. Alija followed as quickly as she could, but soon lost him in the crowd. She shook her head, finding her own way to her there.

Why was she wanted? What had she done? Nothing! She pushed herself through wave guard and residents alike, forcing herself to ignore the smoke and cries and screams. Maybe the obelisks had something to do with this summoning. Maybe there were to blame her. Or ask for her help.

With a brisk walk, she entered the building, no longer marvelling at the grandeur as she would have done just a season ago. Now, chaos and confusion filled her instead. Alija searched for the man who had come for her, but he was long gone, hidden in the masses of messengers. But there were two men who looked like neither messengers not workers, nor anything else specific. They stood against the wall with confused expressions.

She approached them, seeking information. "Did they summon you too? Did a messenger come for you as well? What for?" She doubted they knew the answers, but it was worth a try.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Give Me An Inch

Postby Ignotus Everto on February 14th, 2015, 8:00 am

"An apt question!" rang out Ignotus' voice. The Lord of Council's cane rapped on the lobby stairs as he followed Tranaris to the others' level. "While I would love to be the one with all the answers, it seems that honor lies with our guest tonight."

Whatever thoughts the wizard had about the strange woman he gestured to with his cane was hidden behind a genial smile. "To whom do I owe the pleasure, my dear?" he said silkily.
A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Give Me An Inch

Postby Perplexity on February 17th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Image Melara sat quietly still peering out one of the grand windows of the lobby. Her face still obscured by the scarlet hood of her robes, she appeared almost statuesque in her visage. She was roused from her trance only when Ignotus directed his question to her. Turning her head from the window she rose from her seat with fluid grace. Though her face remained hidden it was very clear that she was taking in the sight of each person standing there in the lobby. The initial chaos was quieted as Tranaris and the other attendants ushered people out of the chamber. When all was quiet, leaving only the red robed woman, those summoned by her list and Tranaris, she spoke.

I am now and always, Melara.” As to the exact nature of her identity she offered nothing more. The tone of her voice implied nothing. There was no expectation of being known. She spoke matter of factly.

You may wonder why you have been summoned. It is question any would ask. For the moment, I beg that you be satisfied with this simple answer: you were chosen. Ask not why. That will come with time.” She extended a hand and without missing a beat, Tranaris returned the scroll she’d first entrusted to him back to her.

Our city is in danger. More than you can imagine. Though our people quail with fear at the awakening of the obelisks the real threat still slumbers. This is just the beginning.” Melara returned the scroll to the folds of her robes then clasped her hands in front of her.

I have been sent to gather you while my master searches for what is needed to prevent the coming storm.” She gave a slight inclination of her head to each of them.

The road ahead will be perilous. You will see and experience horrors that have been buried for centuries. Though your name has been called to defend our home, our people, our way of life none shall fault you should you choose a safer path.” With that she fell silent. The picture that she painted was not a pleasant one. The city had been in chaos for seasons. Perhaps all of it had been a prelude to the events that were unfolding now?
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Give Me An Inch

Postby Molly Barlow on February 22nd, 2015, 5:53 pm

A chill swept down her back, her body at attention the moment both the cities leader and the strange woman came foreword. They brought with them a presence that made Molly uneasy more than any words. It made the situation real. Molly frowned and tentatively took a step back unconsciously, licked her lips to allow herself to speak even though she would already regret speaking.

"But...but what can we," I, her mind corrected, "do? Are we fighting something? I don't understand what you want us to do."

She could only imagine what was happening outside and her they were speaking of worse things? Worse than the city falling to its knees? But hadn't she always enjoyed the tales of sailors and heir adventures with things she'd never hoped to see. Molly shook her head, to shake away the sudden and frightful pictures of Zeltiva and everyone in dead as if in sacrifice to something.

"I don't understand," She said again, slower, like the words were being forced from her lips against her consent. Her heart beat wildly to the words. "But I will help how I can."

Feeling like fool, Molly quickly stepped back, as if to hide herself among the small group of people she did not know. They had not left and her pride would not allow her too even if the urge itched beneath her skin, telling her that fleeing from this place was safer than staying. The beekeeper forced herself to think of the upside of becoming part of an adventure, of giving back to her city, of defending her loved ones but...

She looked down to prevent childish tears stemming from the onslaught of constant misery and frustration within herself and the city. Does everyone feel as stupid as this, Molly though but she couldn't look up and just waited for their 'instructions', whatever they may be.
Molly Barlow
Busy Bees

Words: 32235
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2015, 12:11 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Give Me An Inch

Postby Halvar Frostfawn on February 23rd, 2015, 11:22 am

Much to Halvar's surprise, Ulric was ushered into the lobby mere moments after the mercenary was left to his own devices. He'd been acquainted with the fisherman earlier in the winter. When Mathew's bay froze over, Ulric's little row boat was trapped just as surely as many of Zeltiva's larger vessels. Coincidently, it was Ulric that Halvar first approached with an offer of assistance that day. Using the gnosis mark gifted to him by Morwen, Halvar helped free the little boat, and Ulric had been grateful for the gesture.
I never did get that meal, Halvar thought, remembering the fisherman's promise. Regardless, if Ulric had been telling the truth, he risked the harsh waters that day despite the awful weather. It was an act as brave as it was foolish, but it had impressed Halvar all the same. Ulric's own messenger was quick to leave him stranded as well, and Halvar would have almost found the parallel amusing if not for the awakening of the second obelisk putting a damper on his mood. Had Ulric been summoned too? It seemed the only logical conclusion, but Halvar didn't dwell on it too much; the answers would come soon enough.
"It's good to see you too Ulric," Halvar said in response to the fisherman's greeting. "For a chime there I thought I was going to be stuck here alone with these petch peddling politicians." He forced a smile.

A short time later, the pair were approached by a smoke-smudged dity-blonde, and she launched a volley of questions at them that would put the finest archer in Zeltiva to shame. Before Halvar could say as much, Ignotus Everto himself interjected, stifling any other retort. The Lord of Council's presence was to be expected, given the circumstances. It was the guest he gestured towards that truly piqued Halvar's interest, and the scarlet robed woman quickly dominated his attention. From within the depths of her hood, Halavar felt that she was watching him also. It was oddly unsettling.

Within moments, the lobby was cleared out by attendants and the man who escorted Ignotus into the room. As men and women responded to his commands, Halvar was able to pick up his name: Tranaris. When they were done, the only people remaining were the people he expected, and one other. There was another woman, a brunette, that Halvar hadn't noticed earlier. She'd been summoned too, it seemed.

Finally, the robed woman spoke, introducing herself as Melara. Her words foretold of a danger to Zeltiva that dwarfed its current predicament, and the part those present had to play in preventing it.
Chosen huh? Halvar thought solemnly, his mind already made up. Zeltiva was his home, and he would fight to protect it. More than that, he wasn't about to walk away from such an important story. Before he could say as much, the brunette gave her own answer, barely coherent though it was.
Girl's got guts though, Halvar thought, noting that she'd situated herself slightly behind Ulric and himself. Coughing into a raised fist to clear his throat, Halvar stared directly into where he imagined Melara's eyes lurked beneath her hood.
"I'm in," he said, pouring all of his conviction into the simple statement. He made a point of not glancing at Ulric, not wanting to influence the other man's decision, though he thought he knew what it would be regardless.
ImageImageImage

"Halvar's Words"
Halvar's Thoughts
"Other"

"Reimancers are an arrogant lot, really. 'Ladies love fireballs,' they say. Bah! Bet they've never been to Sunberth; whores there will give you the nastiest case of fireballs you've ever had." - An overheard story
Halvar Frostfawn
Mercenary. Woodsman. Storyteller.

Words: 26573
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 6:11 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Give Me An Inch

Postby Ulric Everard on March 9th, 2015, 2:10 am

Ulric didn't get a chance to respond to Havlar before a woman burst in, shooting off questions as quickly as they could come to mind it seemed. There was little time to answer any of the questions though, as the next person arrived. The ever controversial Lord of Chamber, Ignotus Everto. Perhaps it should not be a surprise that he arrived to deal with an incident as large as this one, but it still shocked Ulric to see him.

The people that had been waiting were quickly ushered into a room where a woman in red and another brunette were waiting. After a moment, in response to something that the Lord of Council had said, the woman waiting in red gave a cryptic message, saying that the people there had been chosen. Why or for what she did not say, and said not to ask. Many times Ulric may have ignored the instruction not to ask, but in this undoubtedly odd situation Ulric held his tongue. He had no clue how he could help in this situation, he couldn't fight, he wasn't particularly strong, he wasn't a leader, and he didn't have resources to give to victims. Unless he was fishing or cooking he was basically useless to any kind of effort, of any kind.

Then came the more gruesome part of the message, one of danger and excitement, things that Ulric's life had barely ever so much as brushed against in the past, the fight against starvation was more prominent for most of Ulric's life than danger or excitement. I suppose if I've been chosen it must have been for good reason. Ulric thought. A few of the others started asking questions, which covered Ulric's own questions, but for some reason he felt that the answers would be as evasive as anything else that they had been told. It helped to hear Halvar accepting the offer, it made Ulric’s decision a sliver easier

"I suppose i have no choice, if I was chosen it had to have been for good reason." Ulric said, nervous while answering but echoing his true thoughts and feelings, "Anything I can do to help this city." Ulric was nervous but he took a moment to glance towards the ceiling and offer a quick, silent prayer to Xyna. It was in no way her area to intervene, but it helped to calm Ulric, which was really the only reason he was really giving any prayer.
Ulric Everard
Player

Words: 15463
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2015, 1:21 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next