Closed Chance Encounter (Miro/Ender)

Verin and Ender meet for the first time since the execution

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Chance Encounter (Miro/Ender)

Postby Verin Rush on June 20th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Verin could not help the yawn that escaped his lips as he listened to Ender teach him. It wasn't that he found the subject dull - to the contrary, he was as interested as when he had first properly met the strange Familiar. Yet he was tired after a long few bells of working. He apologised quickly to the Familiar, in case the creature got the wrong idea from the motion, and he leaned in closer as he watched and listened to the explanation given. Some of it, Verin already knew, but other things were news to him, for instance the concept of an "aura". From the context, he could attempt to work out what it meant, and guessed that it had something to do with the Djed stored in each and every life form in Mizahar. But beyond that, he didn't question further, as he got the impression that it wasn't strictly essential to what he was learning about Hypnotism from Ender.

He was well aware of the power of words, even utterances which weren't laced with Djed. Anyone who speaks is constantly making a choice of words, as there were infinite amounts of ways to phrase any one idea. Even if that choice was entirely subconscious, the choice was still being made. Hagglers in the street who were trying to lower or raise prices of items, politicians who were trying to persuade, even drunkards in taverns sharing a particularly crude tale of their night with a prostitute... each of these people were passively, subconsciously constructing a specific identity to the rest of the world. All of this done with simple words. Hypnotism was arguably just a more extreme, conscious version of this process, that he agreed with Ender on, and he shared all of these thoughts with the Irylid.

And with these thoughts, he added another hypothesis, “
Would you consider Hypnotism to just be a more powerful way of conveying what you want to? More powerful in that it is harder for someone to ignore what you are saying, or dismiss it?” It was a curious concept, and it put the magic in a whole new light for Verin. It wasn't offensive, as magicks went, merely a tool, something to assist the user. Verin had always viewed it as an 'insurance policy' of sorts, a subtle means of controlling his surroundings more than he otherwise might.

He thought of the need Verin had to maintain eye contact with a subject in order for the magic to work, which, as he mused on Ender's words, was a sure sign that the physical nature of the magic user was also very important for certain ways of using the art. “
Do all those methods of Hypnotism that you just mentioned require eye contact? I would imagine that sometimes it isn't the most subtle way of manipulation... if it alerts the subject, then won't the magic, however powerful the caster, possibly be less effective?

As Ender continued, his head nodded at each new point and break in the teachings. To be adept at Hypnotism, it seemed, there were a number of other prerequisites that he must also become proficient in. His knowledge of other magics was sparse, but he had always received the impression that mostly it came down to the user's Djed and that alone. Venser's Maledidtion seemed to need more than just that too, it required skill in physical craft, as well as even creativity or memory. “
So one might argue that one poorly used word might affect the manifestation of the suggestion, or emotion-” he yawned again, “Sorry, emotional response in the subject?

Verin Rush
Perfection is our standard, not our goal.

Words: 275055
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2013, 7:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Miro on June 22nd, 2014, 11:45 pm

It seemed that Verin was fatigued, and as well the Familiar's knowledge was becoming limited. There was an obvious weariness growing in the room, even Ender feeling his mind growing weary. But still there was a bit of explaining to be done. It just seemed that they were coming to a conclusion. Though nice to have a friend visit, perhaps it'd be nice also to have some time alone too.

The questions posed were simple enough, but the Irylid walked dangerously near the boundaries of his knowledge. Without care he might spout some form of misinformation, lead his friend the wrong way. It was something at least acknowledged. The answer was carefully pondered for a short while before an answer was given.

"I think you are correct in saying Hypnotism is just a more powerful way of conveying what you want. A means beyond mere words, gestures, presence, to convey your will and communicate with another's mind. However no method of Hypnotism requires any one medium of casting. These are only methods of casting the spell, impressing effect on the target's mind."

Though there was something else to be said of this, something more. It was more than simple conveyance beyond language. It was the ability to force and condition the mind. "But I must say, Hypnotism is more than you make it out to be. Your ability to convey a spell is important, for it is the decided factor in how powerful a spell. Though it's not that simple."

"Hypnotism means naught without the mundane means of influence to accompany the effects, at least in most cases. The discipline is just another tool of manipulation, just like a kind word and a friendly look. So in that, yes, being subtle and discrete is important. But there are also times in which this does not matter. Times when the magic overwhelms the true will of the target. Though that is beyond me to explain."

And indeed that was all that could be taught of Hypnotism with accuracy. Perhaps a bit of information on the trance, at least in what it could accomplish in a master's hand, could be given. Or maybe even a bit on how to perform the technique could be explained, but there was much that was still unknown to the Familiar. This was quite the limit of his knowledge.

"I am sorry Verin, but that is about all I know. At least all I can manage to get myself to recall at this time. I will question my master, learn what more I can, and maybe then I will have more to share. However I am at my limit. I do not know what more I might do for you, but you seem quite worn, my friend. I would offer you a bed, would you need it. I myself am quite exhausted though too."

The hint was a bit subtle, and though Hypnotism could further the point, it was perhaps a breach of trust. Friends had to have trust. This was the difference between the master and apprentice relationship and friendship. There was no contract, no defined rules, just respect and care. That was nice, a welcome change. Though Ender was ready to miss Verin for a while, look forward to their next encounter.
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Verin Rush on June 29th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Before he had met Ender, Verin was very aware of how lacking he was in the knowledge of the craft. The small Syliran girl had given him a taste of it when she had used it against him, and from then he promised himself that he would never be left completely defenceless again. His learning had been slow, as he had had no one around to teach him of the magic... because of this reason he could agree that there were likely many flaws in his personal learning. Ender seemed somewhat hesitant at points, but the Irylid, being bonded to a Mage, could clearly boast a much vaster knowledge than he had.

Though tired, he soaked up the Familiar's words, as if he were a sponge. At multiple points, he continued to bpnod to show his understanding, even though some things were a little too abstract for him to follow completely. He made a promise to himself that he would continue to work on the theory of the magic of Hypnotism, as well as the practice. Even if he didn't learn through Ender, he would learn it elsewhere. Perhaps the Institute of a Higher Learning, if he could save enough, he might be able to afford admittance.

I do not think that, at this stage, I am anywhere near knowledgable or powerful enough to have my own will overtly subvert that of another's... discretion is the most useful tool at my disposal. At least for the time being.” He smiled at his new friend, a genuine smile, which conveyed his gratefulness for the Familiar's tutelage. His current form still unnerved him a little - the sphere of reflective ice was not something that he was used to in the slightest, but he was beginning to grow a little more familiar with it, and could look at Ender without gaping.

When the Familiar finished of speaking, however, he found himself agreeing even more with his words. He was tired; it probably wasn't a sensible idea to attempt to learn so much after a long night of work, but he thought that he had done well in retaining the information. But the night was very obviously at an end, and he stood up from his chair, though he would not stay here, lest the Familiar's Master return to see another in his home, unexplained. “
No, no, friend, I won't impose my presence on you any longer for tonight,” he specifically chose the word to further reiterate what he would hope their relationship would blossom into - one out of familiarity rather than forced acquaintanceship, as he was used to. He didn't believe Ender to be capable of deceit, so it was a refreshing change.

No, I shall see myself out. I thank you for sharing some of your knowledge and experience with me tonight. Hopefully we might meet again soon for more conversing.” He inclined his head respectfully towards the orb and turned, departing the room in order to return to his own bed at Tarsin's.

Verin Rush
Perfection is our standard, not our goal.

Words: 275055
Joined roleplay: December 10th, 2013, 7:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Abstract on July 11th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Grade Awarded!

~|-|~

Verin

Award :
Skills

~ Bartending – 4
~ Observation – 1
~ Hypnotism – 1
~ Socialization – 3
~ Rhetoric – 2
~ Investigation - 2

Lores

~ Fooled By Hypnotism
~ Ender: A Familiar
~ Ender: An Irylid of Fyrden
~ Ender: User of Reimancy
~ Miro: A Master Wizard, Ender’s Master
~ Hypnotism: Possible to Trigger Thoughts
~ Hypnotism: Possible to Flash a Sense
~ Hypnotism: Important to Act
~ Auras: Important to Hypnotism

Other

N/A

~|-|~

Miro

Award :
Skills

~ Familiary - 1

Lores

N/A

Other

N/A

~|-|~

Notes

I’m getting this horrible sinking feeling about Ender. I don’t know what he wants, but as a human… he just creeps me out. Really, really creeps me out.

…Why is Ender being so honorable? I never saw this in him XD

Otherwise, an interesting and detailed thread! A lot to award to Verin. If there was a lore that you specifically wanted that you feel wasn’t addressed in the award, feel free to PM me :P There was a lot stated on Hypnotism.
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Postby Redd on February 15th, 2015, 12:38 am

Hello, your Redd grader here!

As you can see, your grades have now been awarded, because I'm just freakin' awesome. Just a small reminder though, please either delete your request or type in 'graded.' If you feel that I have missed something or if you have a few comments/questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. I won't bite... Much.

[Side Note] This grade has been issued upon request that the PC felt that skill points were missing. Any skills points and lores within this grade, are to be added on to the initial grade given.

Verin Rush
XP
  • XP
  • Hypnotism - +3XP
  • Bartending - +1XP
  • Observation - +2XP
  • Storytelling - +1XP
  • Endurance - +2XP
  • Persuasion - +2XP
Lores
  • Ender: Has usual methods
  • Ender: Innocent and Ignorant
  • Hypnotism: Choice of words are important
A Small Message for You
  • I just had to tell you, I enjoyed reading this for you, mostly because I too learned something about Hypnotism.

Yours Truly,
Redd
The One-Eyed Wolf

Words: 425591
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 1:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes