Closed [The Greco Hut] By the Sword (Turrin)

Zhol and Turrin train at the Greco Hut.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

[The Greco Hut] By the Sword (Turrin)

Postby Zhol on September 5th, 2014, 8:43 pm

|.21st Autumn, 514
Solo's shod hooves clipped and clopped against the paved surface of the Sanikas Road. Behind and above, Mount Skyinarta loomed, while ahead the terrain widened out into the hills and forests and plains of the Unforgiving. Zhol wasn't sure which of the two vitas was the more menacing.

His hips rocked in rhythm with Solo's strides, partly by deliberate choice, and partly because the Syliran style saddle gave him little other choice. Having ridden so much as a necessary part of training horses for the stables he had grown accustomed to the odd pressure of the treated leather in places he didn't particularly want to be feeling odd pressure at all; but he was counting the days until the custom order he'd placed with Lexi at the markets would be ready, and his buttocks were as well.

Zhol leaned back in the saddle as he tugged on the reins to steer Solo off the main road and down a slightly steeper incline onto the somewhat less beaten path towards his destination: a cabin in the woods, where Zhol had been told that Archeron, the master swordsman, dwelt. His attention turned to his father's sword, bundled in a rag and tucked beneath one of the saddle straps. It was the only heirloom he had of home; not only that, but also the only gift his father had ever given him. The man had been so proud when Zhol's mother had bore him another son; but that pride had quickly turned to disappointment, in a slow downward spiral that led to here.

A sigh escaped Zhol as he scanned his surroundings, looking for a suitable place to secure Solo and stop him wandering off into the Unforgiving. He vaulted from the horse, feet slipping from the stirrups and a leg swinging over Solo's body and down towards the ground in one fluid motion. Solo sputtered out a grunt at the shift in weight, but otherwise remained obediently still.

Seeing no explicit place to hitch a horse - no surprise, given the Inarta's lack of cultural respect for them - he instead teased out the lead attached to Solo's bridle, and led him towards one of the trees that enclosed the Greco Hut. The leather lead was looped and twisted around a sturdy looking branch, the closest semblance of a decent hitch that Zhol could muster given the thickness of wood he was dealing with. A few quick tugs assured him that it was relatively secure; with a quick pat against the side of Solo's neck, he stepped back towards the saddle, unbuckling the straps to retrieve his sword. After a few moments of hesitation, and the thought that perhaps this had all been a foolish endeavour, he turned away from his companion, and towards the hut's door.

It creaked as he opened it; something that made Zhol wince. It wasn't that he intended to arrive by stealth; but there was a difference between arriving normally, and drawing unwanted attention to oneself. Discretion lost, he entered with as much confidence as he could muster, making a greater effort to close the door more quietly behind him.

Instantly, he was struck by the unexpected sight of what lay inside. What from the outside seemed like little more than an unassuming shack was filled to bursting point. Racks of weapons, many of which Zhol couldn't even name lined every available stretch of wall; every spare inch of floor was covered with some obstacle, marking, or unexpected material, no doubt an essential part of the training that Master Archeron could offer.

The thought of the man seemed to summon him. He stood as tall as Zhol, perhaps a hair taller; but it was his bulk and broad shoulders that were most imposing, and made Zhol feel like he could easily be snapped like a twig. The slight permanent scowl that seemed to perpetuate his face did little to assure Zhol of his safety; nor did the wooden staff that Archeron carried, with it's dents and divots from what he guessed was frequent, violent use.

A questioning look cast at him by a pair of piercing eyes, Zhol blurted out an introduction. "Zhol, of Endrykas," he said almost by reflex, before adding a slight correction. "And the stables."

A flash of recognition seemed to sweep across Archeron's face. "Ah," he mused, a little of the harshness fading from his expression, though not quite enough for Zhol to rebrand it as anything positive. "Hansi's horse boy, from Cyphrus." A nod of Archeron's head indicated towards one of the windows. "That would explain your somewhat rare means of arrival."

Zhol wasn't sure how to respond; whether to smile, remain courteous, or answer in jest. "I suppose it does," he agreed, shuffling a little, uncomfortably. He looked about himself, as if searching for some scribbled prompt on what to say, somewhere on the hut's wooden shell. "I've come hoping you can teach me," he added, by way of an explanation of his presence.

"Most do," Archeron agreed. A slight frown twitched at his brow. "You've brought something with you?"

Zhol's eyebrows climbed in embarrassed realisation. He'd been told that Archeron would charge for his services, and here he was showing up at the door like some kind of mumbling freeloader. "Of course," he muttered half to himself, fumbling with his belt as he struggled to detach his coin purse.

Archeron sighed. "Show me your steel before you show me your coin," he instructed; less annoyed, more tired.

"Oh," Zhol replied sheepishly, abandoning his efforts, and instead retrieving the sword from the crook of his arm. Carefully, he unwound the chords that kept the blade safely bound, and slowly presented it towards Archeron. The swordmaster studied it with interest, eyeing the straightness of the blade, the thickness and sharpness of the steel, the strength of the construction around the basket hilt. His gaze peeled away from the blade as it reached the Pavi symbols engraved upon it. "Emberwing," he explained, with the faintest whiff of both pride and sorrow in his voice as he spoke that name. "It was my pavilion, back in Endrykas."

Greco's scrutiny transferred to Zhol's face, as if examining his features for added answers. "Past tense," he mused. "And you did not introduce yourself by that name. Interesting."

The swordmaster turned away, clearly not interested in interrogating the issue any further; something that flooded Zhol with a sense of relief. "Will you teach me?" Zhol asked tentatively, still at a loss to fully understand what was transpiring.

"That remains to be seen," Archeron replied; this time, the shift in his expression almost looked like a smile. "But I will certainly try." There was a brief pause of hesitation, as Greco strode back into the main body of the room. "You are not my only student today, however."

His gesture indicated an equally imposing figure, and Archeron's attention seemed to shift to him. "Turrin of the Twisted Vine," he introduced. "Have you had the dubious pleasure of meeting this young man before?"

"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari"
This template was made by Khara. She was bribed with coffee and jammy dodgers.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Turrin on September 11th, 2014, 5:26 am

Putting his talon sword into his saddle bags, Turrin looked in his saddle bag and noticed that he forgot his wooden talon sword. The endal closed the leather cover and quickly went to into the living room to retrieve his practice sword. As he walked into the living room, Turrin was amazed at the amount of time and effort Drusilla put into his home to make it liveable. The endal knew that he needed to repay her somehow for her kindness, but he wasn't quite sure how. Grabbing the practice sword from the weapon stand, Turrin walked to Drusilla bedroom door, knocked quietly, and said loud enough for her to hear, “Dru, I am going to Greco Hut to train. I will be back before nightfall.” The endal waited for a response, but he figured the symenestra was sleeping, so he decided it was best not to bother her further. Turrin knew that he didn't have to tell her his whereabouts, but after being aloof for half a year, he wanted to let her know, so she wouldn't worry about him.

Walking into the Aponivi's aeries, Turrin noticed the great raptor was watching himself in the mirror. Obviously his feather friend had taken a liking to looking at him every other minute. The myrian eyed the great beast and teased, “Aponivi I am starting to wonder if you are in love with your own reflection...”

Aponivi turned his gaze from the mirror and responded, I am magnificent aren't I, Turrin?

Turrin shook his head and said flat out, “No. You look like a overgrown sparrow to me”

Aponivi puff out his neck feathers and comment, Sparrow! Do I spend most of my life in a tree singing songs nobody is listening too. I am a great hunter, Turrin. Not a song bird!

Turrin went to the saddle bags and placed the wooden practice sword in the saddle bags. Securing the leather straps on the saddle bag, the endal patted the “great hunter” on the neck and said with a laugh, “You keep telling yourself that and someone might actually be listening to agree with you. Come on OH GREAT HUNTER! We have a long flight ahead of us.”

Getting onto the saddle, Turrin tightened his legs against the sides of Aponivi and gripped tightly to the sides of the saddle with both hands. As Aponivi started to move to the edge of the aeries, Turrin noticed the sky was mostly clear accept for the occasional cloud. When Aponivi got to the edge, the endal felt a pause before the great raptor jumped off the edge and dived for about a chime. Turrin leaned forward in his saddle and felt a sensation of weightlessness as they were falling, but suddenly, Aponivi started to slowly opened his wings and pair gradually started to climb. For the rider, the sensation of weightlessness quickly changed to crushing pressure as they got higher into the air. Eventually, Aponivi started to glide through the air when the raptor keep his wings completely out. Sitting up in his saddle, Turrin mentally contacted his friend, Greco Hut is at the mouth of the Sanikas Pass, so if we follow the road down. We should eventually find it.

Aponivi brought his right wing in slightly and great raptor veered to the right. As Aponivi veered to the right, Turrin tightened his legs against the side of the bird, leaned forward in his saddle, and leaned slightly to the right. The air rushed quickly by him, but he didn't feel any sensation of him being thrown from the saddle. The pair decided to hug the side of the mountain as they made there way to the side of the volcano with the road. Turrin noticed the skies around Skyinarta were busy with other riders coming and going with their daily business. When he got to the side with road, Turrin going see wagons stretching for miles with people, goods, and crops from Thunder Bay. Everyone seemed to be busy with preparations for winter. Turrin was sure that the Valintar didn't want to have a repeat of the last year, so there was extra pressure on everyone to contribute to the winter preparation. Turrin wanted to get a better look at the caravans, so he contacted Aponivi, Fly close enough for me to the people on the wagons.

Aponivi brought in his wings slightly and the pair started to descend slowly towards the road. When Turrin could see ginger in their hair, Aponivi opened his wings and started gliding down the mountain following the road. The endal noticed most of the wagons were covered in tarps with a few passengers hitching a ride on the back of the wagon. However, the wagons were loaded with large bags or barrels, so it was impossible to see the contents of the containers. When he couldn't see the goods, the endal lost interest with the road, and he just paid attention to the scenery the rest of the trip. When they got to Greco Hut, the pair circled the hut for a couple chimes to look for a good landing spot. Eventually, Turrin noticed a clearing about half a mile from the building. Aponivi glided to the spot and gradually brought his wings in slightly for a slow descent to the ground. When they landed in the browning grass, Turrin got off of Aponivi and retrieved his wooden talon sword and talon sword from the saddle bags.

Turrin looked at Aponivi and said with a smile, “Enjoy the afternoon.” When he done saying his goodbye, Turrin walked towards the hut. After about ten chimes of walking, Turrin made it to the door and noticed the door wasn't open, so he knocked first, but when nobody came to the door. The endal quietly walked into the school. Inside the myrian saw a tall human male practicing with a long sword in the middle of the floor. The endal walked into the hut and stood by the door as the large human did a sequence slashes with the weapon. Turrin was amazed at the quality of his swings and how quickly the sword master went from attacks to defense in a matter of ticks. It was remarkable display of skill. Far beyond Turrin's current ability with a sword.

When the man was finished, he turned to Turrin with a serious look on his face and waited for the half-myrian to speak. Turrin said with a nod, “My name is Turrin Aponivi of the Twisted Vines clan. I wish to be come a student in swordsmanship. Will you teach me, Master? ”

The stone faced man said with a nod, “You definitely have the eyes of a Inarta, but you have the look of a myrian.” Turrin paused and waited for the middle age human answer. The man said with a nod, “Show me your weapon, Turrin.”

Turrin unsheathed his talon sword and showed the old man his family treasure. The man looked at him and said with a smile, “My name is Acheron Greco and I will help you with your swordsmanship, but I want to evaluate your skill with a weapon first.”

Turrin nodded and asked with a nod a respect, “When would you like me to pay you?”

Archeron shook his head and said softly, “You are eager to part with your money, Turrin. You can pay me after the lesson. Now we just have to wait for your opponent.”

Turrin waited patiently for another student to arrive, and after a hour of waiting, a young man with short hair walks into the building. The warrior took off his boots and socks and started to stretch as he waited for Master Greco to call on him. The endal waited quietly as the young man introduced himself as Zhol. He was a human from the grasslands of Cyphrus. Archeron didn't see interest in the young mans passed, but he wanted to see the type of sword Zhol was using. It was a broad sword. Eventually, Greco asked him to spar off with Zhol, so Turrin nodded to the old man and looked at Zhol. Zhol was about the same size height as him. He was well muscled, so Turrin would definitely not have to worry about fatiguing to much in the spar. Turrin motioned with his head to the weapons rack with the wooden weapons and said with a smile, “I not sure if you want to use real swords, but for the sake of keeping our bodies intact, we shouldn't use are real blades if we are just practicing. You should find the closest wooden replica to your sword, Zhol.”

When Zhol retrieved his wooden sword, Turrin walked out into the center of the floor and got into a fighting stance. Turrin got down in his stance with his left foot back and right foot forward. The front leg was bent at the knee while his back leg was straight. It was a strong forward stance. Turrin held the handle of his wooden talon sword with both hands with the point of the sword pointed in front of him and slightly to the ground. The myrian golden eyes waited for Zhol to get ready and said with a viscous smile, “You can make the first move, human.”
Last edited by Turrin on March 23rd, 2015, 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Zhol on September 11th, 2014, 9:08 pm

So this was Turrin.

While Zhol had never met the man in the flesh before, his reputation certainly preceded him. From Khara, he had heard the rumours of the half-Myrian who had eaten the heart of a fallen foe: perhaps for some ritualistic reason, or perhaps simply from sheer hunger. From her he had also heard however of the way the Endal had treated her this past summer, showing her a kindness that someone of his status was in no way required to. At the time Zhol had been jealous, as if the Endal somehow wanted to steal his closest friend away from him; but from Drusilla he had learned that Turrin was a man whose kindness was in ample supply; Versda to the Symenestra that now referred to Zhol as the same. She had urged that Turrin and Zhol meet - some great alliance and comradeship between the Outsiders of Wind Reach - but somehow he doubted this had been the manner that she had in mind.

Zhol tested the weight of the wooden broadsword he had chosen; not as elegant and refined as his own, but it would do the task he required of it. He studied the talon sword that Turrin carried, and studied the movements of the man that wielded it. There was a flexibility and fluidity to the way that the man moved that far outstripped anything Zhol was capable of, and suggested that he knew how to use more than just a sword. A novice like Zhol was no match for that; but that didn't mean their encounter would have to be one-sided. His perception on the situation changed: no longer merely a means of education, but a chance to prove himself to the man who Zhol had already inherited respect for.

"It is an honour to meet you, Turrin," Zhol said, carefully pacing a slow circle around his opponent. They had chosen a section of the hut surfaced with turf and relatively flat; perhaps Zhol being subconsciously drawn to the reminder of Endrykas. "Your sister speaks very highly of you."

As the sentence ended, Zhol made his move; taking a single step, his arm swung across his body in a downward diagonal strike towards Turrin's shoulder. It was not a blow intended to land, for Zhol was wary not to overcommit too early in the bout; rather, it was a probe to test the speed of Turrin's reflexes, and to gauge the force that Turrin was prepared to apply to his strikes.

"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Turrin on September 17th, 2014, 4:44 am

Turrin was surprised that the foreign human knew his sister. The myrian doubted that Zhol was referring to his blood sister, Kaya. However, he realized that he was speaking of Drusilla his “adopted sister”. After the incident on her birthday last year, the myrian had a hard time thinking of her as his sister. Shifting his mind away from that wonderful night. The endal nodded to Zhol and said in common, “At least one person is trying to help my reputation. I know that I am not...” Turrin figured if Drusilla trusted this Zhol enough to tell him that he was his “sister” than the myrian figured that he was a decent person. It didn't mean that he was going to go easy on him though. The myrian loosed his grip on his sword and waited for Zhol to move

Turrin golden eyes watched Zhol as he started to move, so the myrian said with a smile, “Drusilla is a good..friend. She was the first person to befriend me in Wind Reach.” The endal wanted to emphasis the friend because he wanted Zhol to know that he thought of her as a friend not a sister, and he continued with smirk, “I just hope you think highly of me after this spar. I won't go easy on you, Zhol.”

Turrin moved his feet slightly to change his direction to face Zhol. The endal noticed the human was trying to find a opening, but the myrian wasn't going to let the young man get a advantage over him. Holding the talon sword with both hands, Turrin held his sword tip pointed at the ground when Zhol lunged forward at him, the human swung at him down and across his shoulder. The endal stepped back with his right foot and brought up his sword horizontally, so the wooden blade of the practice talon sword intercepted the wooden broad sword in mid air over his shoulder. Turrin could feel the wooden broad sword pressing down on his wooden talon sword. It was a battle of strength and endurance for about half a chime than the myrian bent his knees slightly to give a little gain for Zhol in their battle for a moment.

Turrin knew that he needed to break free, so he lifted up with his legs than he lifted up the horizontal sword with his arms, so Zhol's sword was over his head. Now Zhol's whole abdomen was exposed, so he lift his right leg and thrust the ball of his foot into the stomach of the short haired human. Turrin was taught fight gracefully by his mother, but his father taught him to be resourceful to survive in battle. He had to fight dirty as long as he lived to fight another day. Turrin brought his right foot back and stepped forward. With one hand, he swung the talon sword around his head and horizontally down and across his abdomen trying to strike the side of Zhol's chest. In the back of his mind, the myrian hoped the sword wouldn't hit, so he wouldn't have to explain to Drusilla why he banged up her new friend.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Zhol on September 17th, 2014, 7:52 pm

A good friend.

That was the thought that ran through Zhol's mind as his strength wrestled against Turrin's, when he should have been thinking about his own defense. Turrin had thrown his guard wide open, and the foot in the abdomen - more a shove than a kick, though it still dislodged much of the wind from his lungs - send him staggering backwards. Still, it was an interesting revelation; given Drusilla's confession about her own feelings towards Turrin, the fact that the Endal didn't have her compartmentalised as family, as off-limits to such interactions, intrigued him greatly. A new empathy formed with the man; Zhol knew how it felt when the feelings you had for a person, and the relationship you had with them, didn't coexist peacefully.

Zhol barely had enough time to move his sword, only just managing to block the strike from colliding with his ribs. He knew he wouldn't be able to muster the strength or momentum to parry the blow from his clearly stronger opponent, so he didn't try; instead he turned Turrin's strength to his advantage, letting the force of the strike help to push him into a long backwards stride, gaining a few precious feet of distance from the Endal, and a few precious ticks of reprieve.

Dirty fighting? Zhol mused, and didn't bother trying to stop a smile of enjoyment from tugging at his lips. This wasn't the same as the broomstick battles with his twin sister that he remembered from childhood; and yet it was equally enjoyable. Turrin was an unknown quantity, just as Zhol was to him; there was no formula, no known moves or patterns to watch out for, and that made every thrust and swing unpredictable and exciting.

Zhol paced in a circle once again, considering his options before he formulated his next strike. Turrin's weapon was a talon sword, if Zhol remembered the name correctly; not a common sight in Wind Reach per se, but certainly more common among the Inarta than any other type of sword, and far more common in Wind Reach than anywhere else in the world. The blade was about as long as Zhol's, but much broader towards the point, and slightly curved; and when held forward the single-edged blade was vertical, aligning along the axis of Turrin's body. By contrast, the double-edged blade of Zhol's broadsword was similar in length, but when held out it was parallel to the ground, designed for lateral strikes from horseback against other riders or to decapitate infantry, rather than striking down at an opponent as one would do with a scimitar. When Zhol parried naturally, on instinct, it was the flat of his blade that blocked against the edge of Turrin's, and so the lesser strength of his muscles was diluted further, spread out across the full width of the blade rather than concentrated at a fine point.

How best to counter that difference, Zhol did not know; but there were ways to experiment and find out.

"My first and closest friend in Wind Reach," he began to explain as he continued to circle, looking for an opening; "Is a game scout; Khara. She spoke highly of you as well: the Endal who showed her unexpected kindness."

His sword swept slowly back and forth in front of him, the tip grazing the grassy floor at brief intervals; an idle tick, yes, but a visual distraction to hopefully divide Turrin's attention as well. "You have my gratitude for that," Zhol admitted. "My respect as well; which is why I shall not go easy on you, either."

With that he advanced, two short swift steps as he raised his sword, tapping the hilt against his shoulder before he swung for Turrin, centre-mass. The strike was a feint however, and his shoulder wound back to evade Turrin's parry, before springing forward to propel his fist - well protected by the basket hilt that guarded his knuckles and fingers - in a strike towards Turrin's approaching wrist.

"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Verilian on February 19th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Thread Award

Zhol

• +1 Riding (Horse)
  • +2 Weapon (Broadsword)

Lores: The Pains of Syliran Style Riding, The Home of Master Archeron Greco, Turrin of the Twisted Vine, Turrin fights Dirty, Differences between Talon and Broadsword

Turrin

If you ever return to us, please update your ledger to show your Fall living expenses and repost the request for your grade. Thanks!

• +1 Talon Sword
  • +1 Unarmed Combat

Lores:

What a Livable Home Looks Like
Apovini the Great Hunter
Apovini the Overgrown Sparrow
Sparring with Zhol

Also, please edit your post in the request thread to reflect that it has been graded. Thanks!
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)