OOC Info [Development] The Quarterly Report

See something the city needs? See something players need? Talk about it here.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Development] The Quarterly Report

Postby Perplexity on March 3rd, 2015, 2:29 am

Greetings and Salutations Zeltivans,

After much contemplating I have decided that I want to open up a development thread for the city. I want to hear your suggestions. I am deeply embedded in the process of restructuring a great many things, now that several behind the scenes shenanigans have finally been swept aside. I am opening up city development, ideas, and even potential plots to the public. Tell me what you think. Do you enjoy a particular location and want to see it utilized more? Is there an NPC you think needs some love? Are there locations you think should exist, but don’t?

I have only a few rules.

1.) Be respectful.
    2.) Offer constructive feedback to those seeking it, especially if you see a way to improve upon an idea.
    3.) No magic shops.

Abide by those rules and everything should work out just fine!
On a side note, this is also your opportunity to receive direct feedback from myself in regards to how or why a particular thing does or does not work. If you’re curious about something, ask the question. I’ll answer in as prompt a manner as possible!

Warm Regards,
Perplexity
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Matthew on March 7th, 2015, 1:32 am

At the bottom of the Zeltiva wiki article, I noticed that the threads linked there are potentially very out of date. I could have edited them myself, but I thought you might be the best one to decide what goes there.

When it comes to Locations, there were two ideas I thought might be helpful to consider. Some of these may already be included in your redesigning.

• Temporary lodging. There is only one listed option, and I think it would be nice to have more options if at all possible. This is obviously super minor and might be something only I would think of or care about.
  • Combat training. I might be wrong, but it doesn't seem there are any places where someone can learn from talented fighters. Even just one style of combat being taught somewhere would be nice. I think a place where you can train in trident-fighting would be pretty neat.

EDIT: It was pointed out to me that I could actually submit whole locations for approval, so I'll actually get something concrete and developed to offer you.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on March 10th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Initially, I thought the Martial Society was in place to teach citizens martial arts of all sorts. It seems like at some point, it became a mercenary Guild and was no longer its original creation of a citizen pool of experts. Now it is gone from the list, though it exists if sought specifically. I think it would be a good resource for the city's recent influx of mercenary types as well as providing this service of training.

P.S. I'd be happy to show Matthew or anyone else some trident moves.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Perplexity on March 10th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Well Howdy!

I am so glad that you have decided to contribute to the city! It warms my heart. :)

Temporary Lodging: In my head there is at least one inn present in every Quarter of the city. The World's End Grotto is presently located in the Old Quarter. That leaves room for 4 more inns throughout the city. (Sailor's Quarter, Denvali Quarter, East Street, Ancient Quarter)

If players want to step up and contribute an idea for an inn location they are certainly welcome to! If not then those locations will simply be released as I have time to develop them.

Combat Training/Martial Society: The Martial Society as it was previously written didn't really make sense to me when I stepped in as the ST for Zeltiva. To that end, I reworked it as a definitive organization with actual power in the city. They are considered a minor faction in their own right with sway over the politics of the city's infrastructure. The write-up of the Society itself can be found here. It is also linked here in the faction section.

I have plans to write up a location for the Society Headquarters so that mercenaries who choose to join it can utilize it as a meeting hub of activity. For freelance martial training...I have something else in mind. Anyone interested is welcome to come talk to me about it. Personally, it's very exciting and I would love the chance to unveil it soon!

Unfortunately (like many other things) I just haven't had the time to get to all of it myself. But it's a work in progress! This development thread is kinda my effort to reach out to the community so that 1.) my plate isn't so full, 2.) I can focus on building up the actual infrastructure of the city such as the factions themselves, influential families, key NPC's, city history, and underlying plot points to give Zeltiva more tangible culture and accessibility in terms of its dynamics for the player base and 3.) it frees up a little more of my time to run things like large adventures, gnosis quests, and picking up the grading queue so that players don't have to wait so long.

Additionally, I tried to provide an avenue for players interested in starting their own adventures through the implementation of the Crier's Board. Only one person ever submitted anything for it, I approved it the day it was submitted, then nothing. So I'm rethinking on how to make it more appealing to players.

If anyone has suggestions, they are certainly welcome!

Have any more questions? Direct them here. I will review and answer all of them as soon as I'm able.

-Perplexity

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on March 11th, 2015, 1:11 am

The Stone Barn

Originally constructed on East Street by a prospective cattle baron, this three story stone barn was never used for that purpose, as cattle found nowhere to graze in the rocky bay. Largely unadorned, save for a central hearth and two stalls converted for Ecro and his son as a residence, the building is little more than basic shelter for those who are one copper away from sleeping out in the elements and succumbing to that.

Each stall is 10' x 10', a total of eight available for the day or week. Each stall has only boxes and old blankets, whatever is left behind by previous occupants. No food or drink is served, it being up to the guests to provide their own food and drink. The primary services offered by the Barn are relatively the same as those offered to the original four legged occupants: security, warmth and rest. Ecro and his son are apt to not call the guards, choosing instead to handle problems themselves. They are very effective in this manner.

NPC

Ecro

Unarmed Combat 55
Negotiation 42
Dagger 45
Larceny 45

A former mercenaryl, Ecro uses the Barn to house unfortunates and groom possible future recruits for the growing criminal presence in Zeltiva. Its location on East Street guarantees that those who find his doors have little choice or they choose to be there. Either way, he wins.

Boy

Dagger 28
Larceny 29
Haggling 20
Cooking 15

Boy acts like Ecro's son and answers as such, but no one knows if this is the case. One thing is clear: Boy is fiercely loyal and will kill or die for his 'father'.
Last edited by Pulren Marsh on April 7th, 2015, 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Aedifalse on March 22nd, 2015, 2:54 pm

With regards to the Crier's Board, perhaps it would help to use it as a sort of IC prompt-giver. Players who have ideas simply submit them through the City Projects part, the relevant ST decides on a suitable compensation for it, and other players who are lacking inspiration can use these "prompts" as fuel for their story writing.
PSA: To those concerned about the intervention on my CS, do not be alarmed. I am innocent of all of the accusations, since Aedifex is my first and only account. I am in the midst of clearing my name, but I believe that Justice and Truth will reign in the end. Do be patient with me as I clear up the misunderstanding.

Reminder: Aedi is Fluent in Isurian but Basic in Common. This means that any conversation he makes in Common is likely to be broken, disjointed and otherwise weird. It is entirely intentional and not a typo/spelling/grammatical error. If it helps for your visualization, this video would be an excellent approximation of how he speaks Common.
Aedifalse
Account changed to "Aedifex"

Words: 71650
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2015, 12:57 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Perplexity on March 22nd, 2015, 3:13 pm

Well Howdy!

Pulren

I like the idea behind this inn. Has a less than reputable vibe. There are just a few things that need to be revised:

• East Street has no local gangs. At least not in the way that you’re thinking. There is an underground to the city but it is nothing like what you’d find in Sunberth. When you think of crime in the city of Zeltiva, it is very high class and far from easily sniffed out. People know it happens but it’s spoken of in whispers, hinted at, rumored about. East Street isn’t full of dirt nor is it chaotic like Sunberth. It’s simply the shadier part of town because several of the powerful unlawful figures reside there and see to it that their enterprises are allowed to prosper. It is veiled and lends to a darker mystery that people feel more than they see. That doesn’t stop it from bubbling up now and then though. These one or two instances are what solidifies the reputation in people's minds.

• Buildings are seldom rundown in the city though they might vary in terms of grandeur. The Denvali Quarter is the exception because it was thrown together quickly to accommodate the need to house an influx of people. The other sections of the city are maintained more or less in a reasonable manner.

• Members of the Cult of Yshul keep their affiliation secretive. There are several NPC’s in the city who are already members of the Cult but it isn’t stated in their write-ups because the organization itself is enigmatic. The Cult is there, I’d prefer that people take the initiative to search for it without it being obvious.

Aghanim

That is already how the Crier’s Board presently functions. People weren’t using it, so I’m approaching it from a different angle.

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Shai on March 22nd, 2015, 5:59 pm

The Second Hand

Located on East Street, amidst the beggars and flipped skirts; a stout door opens up into a clutter shop front. Everything from old children’s clothing to used furniture can be found within. Everything is for sale and the price is dirt cheap. Shelves full of costume jewelry and remarkable unvaluable treasures lean precariously. Through the maze of junk, any customer will eventually find a young woman sitting on a stool.

When rent comes due, the line in front of The Second Hand can stretch down the street as the poor desperately sell off their meager belongings to make ends meet. No goods of suspicious origins are purchased and no single item will be purchased for more than 10 gold-rimmed mizas.

NPC:Image
Name: Digit

Skills:
Weapon (Daggers): 65
Politics: 55
Larceny: 50
Negotiation: 45
Intimidation: 45
Organization: 35

Digit has worked at the pawn shop since before anyone in this generation can remember. She first showed up at eight years old and began working for the old man. No one sees the old shop owner anymore, and most believe him deceased. Digit is a known quantity to the Wave Guard, but has never once been caught with a single illegal item. WIth no proof to take her down, no charges have ever stuck.

She has a dry wit, and tends to ply sarcastic insults just as fast as Mizas. Getting her respect is more difficult than finding a clean prostitute at the Clapping Clam.

The Third Hand

Through the dank and claustrophobic alleyway, people can venture around to the back of the building. The back alley is remarkably clean of refuse; not a single obstacle exists to hide behind. The door is non-descript, lacking even a door handle or obvious hinge. With the right pass phrase, which changes every season, someone can knock on the door and gain entrance.

Inside is a simple sitting room. After several chimes, the front storekeeper will wander into the room and negotiations begin. The Third Hand is a fence, specifically dealing in the purchase of high-end easily-identifiable items.

After a thief has made significant inroads with The Third Hand, they can seek contracts for specific thefts. Burglaries that require skill will be given out sparingly and only to the most proven and trusted larcenists.

Buying a fenced item requires prior contact with Digit or a trusted associate. The inventory is not kept on premise and any customer must already know the item they want to buy before seeing it. This generally means that the customers are the original victims who were stolen from.

NPC: Image
Name: Milo

Skills:
Stealth 65
Larceny 56
Unarmed Combat 45
Cryptography 26
Tobacco Rolling 20

Milo plays the part of the doorman at the Third Hand. He opens the door only to the authorized and then watches over them while Digit finishes her business up front. He has a strong docks accent when he chooses to speak up and anything he comes up with tends to be overbearingly rude, crude, and socially unacceptable.

He stands just under six feet and covers up his wiry frame with long coats most days except in the depths of Summer. When an item is to be delivered for purchase it is most often Milo who shows up with the parcel. For this reason, where the Wave Guard found no victory with Digit they occasionally nab Milo. But never for long, because within a fortnight the arrest warrant is rescinded by the higher ups at the urging of the powerful whom he delivers to.

Another thorn against law and justice, the quick thinking street rat enjoys a somewhat infamous status which he uses to his own advantage whenever possible. He can occasionally be found carousing through the pubs and gambling dens of East Street.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Words: 424135
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Telor Riptide on March 22nd, 2015, 7:36 pm

Perplexity,
Honestly, I didn't know that the Crier's Board existed. The explanation on how it works is a tiny bit vague as well. Maybe if it were spelled out more clearly how exactly it worked, people would be more willing to submit?

Now that I've seen and understand it, it looks like a grand idea. Perhaps just submission posts from a few characters and maybe some example/starter prompts from you would be enough to jump start some interest. You could post things like the volunteer work to repair the city there as free prompts, too, just so people have one more resource where they can find specific ideas for threads within the city.

Additionally, I'm not sure if there is a reason you haven't done this yet or not, but I'd like to propose the idea for a reward or perk points system as motivation. I know that other cities around Mizahar have them, like Riverfall or Ravok, and from the looks of them, they have done very well.

Common-Fratava-Vani
Telor Riptide
Player

Words: 24242
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2015, 12:08 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aedifalse on March 24th, 2015, 8:19 am

Suggestions for Certificates of Completion from the University of Zeltiva

I have taken into account the current format of existing certificates, as well as the level of proficiencies offered in the various colleges.

Certificate of Completion in Smithing
Required Courses:
Blacksmithing - 2 Seasons, 26 Skill Points
Metalsmithing - 2 Seasons, 26 Skill Points
Weaponsmithing - 1 Season, 15 Skill Points
Armorer - 1 Season, 15 Skill Points

Certificate of Completion in Cooking
Required Courses:
Cooking - 4 Seasons, 51 Skill Points
Herbalism - 1 Season, 15 Skill Points
Phitering - 1 Season, 15 Skill Points
Food Preservation - 1 Season, 15 Skill Points

Certificate of Completion in Management
Required Courses:
Leadership - 3 Seasons, 51 Skill Points
Negotiation - 2 Seasons, 26 Skill Points
Politics - 2 Seasons, 26 Skill Points

Featuring collaborative certificates with partner firms!

Bohrnn & GoldWoerth's Certificate of Completion
Required Courses:
Jewelcrafting - 1 Season, 15 Skill Points
Gadgeteering - 1 Season, 15 Skill Points
Carpentry - 2 Seasons, 26 Skill Points
Metalsmithing - 2 Seasons, 26 Skill Points
Apprenticeship with Bohrnn & GoldWoerth - 1 Season minimum
Alternatively, one may choose any 2 of the above 4 skills for the 2 Season 26 XP requirement and the remaining 2 for the 1 Season 15 XP requirement. However, the University does not offer Jewelcrafting and Gadgeteering past Novice.

DISCLAIMER: I actually want to try to go for the CoC in Smithing. The rest I just thought of for fun.

--------

NPC Development Submission

Secret :

Bio
Name: Garath Markwell

Skills
Blacksmithing 60
Metalsmithing 55
Weaponsmithing 40
Armorer 35
Teaching 60

Towering over most humans at 6'3", Garath Markwell is what most people refer to as a 'mountain giant', though most of his bulk was derived from his younger days of clanging molten iron with a sledgehammer. As an adult he soon realized that he preferred imparting his skills of metalworking than working in a dimly-lit forge, and found a natural home in the University of Zeltiva's College of Applied Skills, where he had been teaching for over two decades. He has an unabashedly hearty personality, often first heard before being sighted, and has a very direct way of talking. Still, those of an open-minded nature who are able to look past his insensitive ways will find a treasure trove of experience from this goodnatured blacksmith.

Courses taught in College of Applied Skills
Blacksmithing - Competent
Metalsmithing - Competent
Weaponsmithing - Novice
Armorer - Novice
Garath Markwell is also the pioneer and overseer of the Certificate of Completion of Smithing. All such certificates issued are co-signed by him and the Head of the College of Applied Skills.
PSA: To those concerned about the intervention on my CS, do not be alarmed. I am innocent of all of the accusations, since Aedifex is my first and only account. I am in the midst of clearing my name, but I believe that Justice and Truth will reign in the end. Do be patient with me as I clear up the misunderstanding.

Reminder: Aedi is Fluent in Isurian but Basic in Common. This means that any conversation he makes in Common is likely to be broken, disjointed and otherwise weird. It is entirely intentional and not a typo/spelling/grammatical error. If it helps for your visualization, this video would be an excellent approximation of how he speaks Common.
Aedifalse
Account changed to "Aedifex"

Words: 71650
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2015, 12:57 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next