Shield Games: Ball Versus Wynn Argall

Fight.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Nightmare on July 31st, 2014, 9:01 am

13th of Summer, Late morning

The combat arena was crowded early that morning. Half the tournament was over and the people had only whetted their appetite for the contests of strength, skill in and out of combat, and arcane prowess. Perhaps even the gods themselves found them watching over the tournaments. Plenty of offerings were made to them, Tiquetras banners were made and coupled with the Windoak in homage to Tavasi for the chance to compete, feats of strength and endurance were given to Izurdin, riddles and tests of logic were crafted with prayers for Eyris and Gnora. Interestingly, pennants and banners with the symbol for infinity flew with those of the Windoak, though few of the commoners seemed to notice them, much less comment on them.

That morning the pycon squire Ball would fight. The crowds cheered, entertained by the music of bards and bands as they waited. While everything might have a place and purpose in Syliras, the knighthood was a great patron to the arts. Thus musicians were encouraged to play for the people while they waited for the squires to get ready for the match. Inside the tents mage-knights and their apprentices worked hard on warding their weapons against the opponent. The blades would be magically blunted to prevent any accidents. Any weapon or style of fighting was allowed in the ring, and the mix of two very different creatures almost insured that the battle would be interesting.

At last the preparations were complete. The crier announced the participant and entreated them to emerge from the tents. Excited screams and yells erupted as the combatants made their way to the center of the ring. Loren Dyres presided with his entourage in a private box once again, though at this point he seemed a bit... bored. To catch his attention something interesting would have to happen. The crier then explained the rules to the two squires and to the crowd. "The Rules are as followed:
  1. All attacks must be non-lethal moves, with no attempts to incapacitate through overly painful moves. This is grounds for disqualification and intervention by the knights.
  2. Winning consists of the first to score 5 points or to cause the opponent to leave the ring. One square hit to the limbs is worth a single point, a hit to the torso is equivalent to two points, and a hit to the head is worth 3 points. All hits must be made with warded weapons or unarmed combat.
  3. All personal or world magic is prohibited and is grounds for immediate disqualification.
  4. All participants must treat their opponents with honor and respect."

The crier then rang a bell and the fight was allowed to begin. Loren Dyres lounged in his seat chatting with what appeared to be a friend..

OOCFeel free to post without waiting on me. I may pop in every now and then to play the crowd, the knights or Loren.
If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Ball on August 4th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Ball found himself in the arena this morning, he knew that he was suppose to be here but as of yet the squire hadn't seen his opponent. Maybe he had forgotten his way? The crier had spoken his words and the rules were stated. A nodding salute was given to Grandmaster Loren from Ball and then he turned his attention to the other side of the arena.

Still, there was no Wynn Argall, he wasn't sure if his opponent was a Ser or just a squire, but Ball assumed at the least he was a squire. Imass was sitting in the shade just inside of the walls of the arena, he was Ball's transportation to and from combat, but due to the rules and regulations that Ball had decided upon in conjunction with his opponent the furry mount was tied and staked to the ground, unable to assist the three inch squire in any fashion whatsoever.

Waiting on the man he stretched, instead of stretching muscles, ligaments, tendons, and blood flow, Ball stretched to pop small bubbles of air that have captured themselves within his being. To make the odds a bit more even Ball had emptied the contents of his body prior to leaving the dorms, locking his mizas and weaponry in his trunk. All that remained from his personal belongings on his being was a thin bit of fabric torn from a shirt. Maybe he is getting his weaponry shielded? Ball knew he couldn't be shielded, for the damage he would've given his opponent would just rebound against him and that would just not be a fair fight (or safe for that matter).

Instead, it was in Ball's capable hands to resist the urge to beat this man to a pulp, instead he had to use patience and willpower to deflect the large amounts of clay weighted force behind each attack so that when they landed they didn't destroy Wynn's being.

Created goes to EuthisaImage
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Wynn Argall on August 17th, 2014, 12:55 am

Upon the third, and what would have been the final call for "Wynn Argall", the young man to whom the name belong burst fourth from the flaps of the tent, his helmet rolling just out of his grasp before coming to a pitiful halt a few paces from the Pycon. From within the tent could be heard the muffled shouting of two female voices, both clearly filled with annoyance and vehemence, before one of the girls, Linnae, poked her head out from behind the flaps to offer Wynn a thumbs up for luck. He returned the gesture with a tired frown before turning to bow in apology at the crier to stared at him with a mix of disdain and surprise.

"S-sorry..."

There wasn't much else for the young squire to say. The crowd had already found the scene to be a riot and had broken out into hoarse jibs and jeers as Wynn knelt down to retrieve his helmet. Before rising, He saluted the pycon, feeling the gesture to be a bit more meaningful the closer he was to his opponent's stature. Fitting the helm over his head, Wynn drew the axe from his back, but instead of holding it as one might expect with the head at the top, he held the weapon upside down, brandishing it like a sword. Again, the crowed found the whole thing a comedy, calling out advice that he was holding the weapon all wrong and that the fight hadn't even begun before it ended. Blushing bright red beneath the confines of his helmet, Wynn glanced back at the tent he'd emerged from. Linnae and Tareesa stood side by side, neither one laughing. They had enough determination on their faces to subside much of Wynn's doubt about their strategy. Nodding at them, Wynn took his ready position as the crowd quieted down some.

The musician's music had begun to quiet as the crier once more announced the two contestants. Wynn slowly bent and straightened his knees, unused to the new distribution of weight of his weapon. The majority of the weapon's mass was in the head, with it tucked under his arm, the haft swung about with a surprising lightness (though that lightness made it all the more difficult to fight with accuracy). Upon realizing his opponent was a pycon, Wynn had been painfully reminded of his entirely unsuccessful duel with the squirrel, something he didn't quite want to relive. It was during the short time the three squires had had together that they had devised Wynn's best hope of not being beaten to a sorry pulp: using a weapon that was quick and had reach. Of course, Wynn wasn't allowed to simply switch weapons with only a few chimes of notice, and they were all fairly certain it wasn't against the rules to use the wrong end of an axe. Still, Wynn found it to be a little disheartening to have the overwhelming majority on the side of the round, clay creature before him.

Taking a deep breath, Wynn waited until the signal that the round had begun before dashing forward at his opponent. He was built for long, drawn out fights with other humans, but against a pycon, his best bet was just to land whatever hits he could on it before it bounced and jumped its way to victory as the squirrel had. The only fortunate thing about the whole competition was he'd been allowed to wear the lighter leather armor as the season's heat had begun to come into full swing. Of course, it had been suggested he still use plate, but upon finding out his opponent was to be a pycon, Wynn knew the greater protection of the plate was not enough to compensate for the incredible drop in his agility. The haft of the axe swung down at the pycon in a low sweep before Wynn jumped back, stumbling slightly as the weight of the axe pulled him off balance. He wasn't going to go out without a fight, but he wasn't sure how long he'd last.

oocI am so sorry this took so long! College is getting ready to start again and I've been working a lot to get ready for it! Hopefully posts will be a bit more steady after this.
Wynn Argall
Player

Words: 98630
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2014, 6:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ball on August 18th, 2014, 9:35 pm

When his opponent appeared from a tent all bustling and apparently confused and sorely mistaken in the ways of combat as his helm rolled forward and stopped short of Ball’s standing position, the squired pycon did nothing to give the opponent any unease. His opponent was a young man, and by the looks of it he was to wield a rather large axe in this round. It was a weapon that Ball wasn’t entirely sure how to combat against, but it couldn’t be any different than a sword… In this case it appeared though he had to face the blunted hilt of the weapon. The crier had finished his talking and the Ball’s opponent took first swing. The shaft was coming in a low arch towards the expert pyken artist and yet the boy’s grip on the weapon made the attack sadly inaccurate, a pity really because Ball was hoping for a more accurate attack.

The attack wasn’t fast enough for Ball to have to dodge, so he just hopped until the shaft was below him, and then landed on the curved edge and ran the length of it. Having done this same maneuver several times on swords the Pycon had a fair idea of how to handle the next part of it. It didn’t take long for Ball to end up near the Wynn’s hands and that is where the true art of his combat style would come to shine. Jumping from the wooden handle the pycon immediately shifted his center of gravity to drop his five pound body onto the nerves that would release the weapon from his opponent’s hand if he connected and then allow the full momentum of his body to shift due to the natural give of the muscles, sinew, tendons, and skin of Wynn’s hand and propel his body at an angle towards Wynn’s chin and chest.

The rebound attack wasn’t intentional, Ball’s main objective was to play on an even playing ground, and that weapon surely gave his enemy a further reach to play with. If the first attack even managed to connect the second wasn’t a given, and even if it didn’t connect Ball knew he was going to be in a world of hurt if he missed stepped and instead found himself lined up with a wooden shaft of an axe.

OOCLOl it's okay about the period of waiting I entirely understand next week I start college so I hope to have more time to post myself

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ball on September 22nd, 2014, 3:36 pm

This man is entirely untrained before you... You will decimate him. Yield now.

Ball's nexus had a sudden breaking thought that caused him to twist backwards, it was such a fast pull back that Ball's moment literally dropped to zero and then he fell to the ground not even an inch from Wynn's foot. Turning in place the pycon squire had to place hands against the side of his head to steady his dizzy spell. The attack that he had just dealt was left ignored by him and the spectators would apparently shocked to see the squire stopping to suddenly.

“I yield.” he spoke loud enough for Wynn to hear, head bowed in shame.

“I yield.” The squire spoke louder as he brought his gaze to the grandmaster in his box.

“I yield on the grounds that this fight is unbalanced, this squire has no clue who, nor what he is facing. There is no honor, no justice in my contining of this combat. It's a farce, it's a form of entertainment in the heady heat of the summer nothing more. I yield to this mockery of civilized games.”

Pointing back at Wynn the pycon squire sighed, “Regardless if he is just holding onto his weapon in a fashion that is funny because he takes this game comically or otherwise is beyond the point. By the wills of our gods: Tyveth, Wysar, Eyris, and Sylir I yield to Wynn Argall.”

Ball shook his head, he was sure he could've won this game match, without batting an eyelash he was sure of it. Yet he took the higher road, the more civilized road. Even if the crowd was booing and cheering at the same time. Ball made his decision and now he had to deal with it.

Graders Please Note :

Thank you.

Ball

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Nightmare on March 13th, 2015, 8:00 pm

Ball :
Skills Amount
Observation +2
Planning +2
Endurance +1
Acrobatics +2
Unarmed Combat +1
Rhetoric +1

Lore
Rules of the Shield Games
Participation in the Shield Games
When to quit during the shield games
Restraint from decimating a fellow squire
Honor in the Shield Games
Wynn Argall: Human Opponent

Shield Points Amount
Shield Games +30

Loot
+150 GM

Wynn Argall :
Skills Amount
Planning +1
Weapon: Great Axe +1
Tactics +1

Lore
Rules of the Shield Games
Participation in the Shield Games
Ball: Pycon Opponent

Shield Points/loot
This thread has been abandoned. No Shield points or loot shall be awarded.

Additional Comments: Good job, it is an excellent demonstration of the rare times Ball actually uses restraint. Too bad this thread was abandoned.

Credit Lenz for the box code
If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)