Solo [Syliras Entrance] Eyes at the Gate

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Entrance] Eyes at the Gate

Postby Lorden Ladis on February 15th, 2015, 3:25 am

4th of Winter, 514 AV

Lorden's left arm lifted from his side, the palm of his hand falling boredly on the pommel of his short blade, that rested its scabbard. The shade-covered knight looked out across the gate, at the other guard that stood facing him.

The eyes of his counterpart drifted to his arm, as his brown brow rose. The brunet lifted his right hand, furling and unfurling his fingers thoughtfully.

'Put your hand down,' the knight directed, communicating to Lorden in Ekeldi; the sign language of the knights.

'What?' Lorden signaled back with his dominant hand; his eyes watched the brunet knight's fingers, awaiting some clarity.

'Your hand, scares the visitors,' the man motioned.

Oh, Lorden thought; his eyes drifting down to his side. For a moment the knight mused to himself, before moving his right hand only, to signal yet another reply.

'Maybe they need to be scared,' he communicated.

His brunet partner stared at Lorden inquisitively for a moment; obviously chewing on his 'words'.

'Not our job,' the man stated, a plain look on his face. A tick passed and the brunet guard almost looked like he was ready to sign something else. However, as the sound of rolling wood, and clopping hooves against road became audible, the knight stalled his hand.

"Look alive, here comes a cart," the man rephrased, this time speaking, rather than sighing. Whatever the knight had been planning to communicate, was obviously all but forgotten as he walked towards the approaching cart, with an outstretched hand.

"Halt friend," the brunet greeted the cart driver warmly. As he spoke, the knight signaled unassumingly with his left hand, for Lorden to circle around to the side of the wagon.

"Securities a bit tit, me an my friend will need to inspect what your bringing in," the knight continued, a calming smile framing his face, as he looked the traveler in his green eyes.
Last edited by Lorden Ladis on February 22nd, 2015, 12:12 am, edited 8 times in total.
Lorden Ladis
Arm of the Law

Words: 178541
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2015, 1:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lorden Ladis on February 16th, 2015, 11:59 pm

4th of Winter, 514 AV

Lorden stepped up to the right side of the cart, glancing respectfully to the driver over in front. The man noted the driver's green eyes, before lifting his dominant leg up. Lorden brought his raised foot down, setting the pad of his leather boot, right on the top of one of the cart's wheels. Grabbing for leverage, the knight clasped his right gloved hand, on to the cart's wood siding, and pushed off with the leg, that was still planted on the ground.

Pulling himself up, Lorden set his other foot on top of the cart's wheel. Now Standing atop of the of the wheel's outer wooden rim, and with a clear sight into the cart, the knight probed with his eyes. Diving his right hand into the cart's back, Lorden ran a gloved hand trepidatiously along the wood boards, that ran up an down the back of the horse-drawn wagon.

The knight observed the small load before him. The wagon was full of unassuming cloth bags, next to the sacks, sat a small chest and a wooden box in the opposite corner. Inquisitively, Lorden reached for the top of one of the tied bags.

Grasping the light brown sack with his right hand, Lorden pulled the bag to his chest, noting it's uncanny lightness. The knight allowed the bag to touch and sit somewhat un-reassuringly, on the top of the wagon's siding, as he moved it over to himself. Continuing his investigations, Lorden moved his left arm, bringing it up to grasp the back of the bag. Meanwhile, the blue-eyed man slid his right hand, further down the top of the bag, slipping his fingers into the wrapped rope that tied the sack.

Lorden un-tucked the end of the rope that held the bag close, grabbing hold of the same point in it's length, Lorden began unwrapping the thick hemp string counterclockwise. It took only a few ticks to get the rope unwrapped, Lorden held the top of the rope in his hand, before pulling it away from the bag. Holding the bag with his left hand, Lorden hung the heavy cord on the edge of the cart, before peering routinely into the open sack. The knight's eyes raised in surprise, a small smile sneaking on to his face.

"Well, unless he plans to slaughter us all with feathers, I think the man's fine," Lorden said good-naturedly, obviously talking to his fellow guard, but not looking up from the quill-filled bag.

"Is that all that's in there?" the knight inquired, unable to see into the high-set wagon.

"Well, give me a minute," Lorden replied, as he sat the feather filled sack down, placing it on to the cart's boards. The knight's eyes drifted to the the box and chest that sat in the corner.

Lorden leaned further over into the wagon, his arms extending, and his stomach beginning to lean against the cart's flimsy siding. Just barely able to stretch his hands far enough, the man racked his fingers across the top of the small chest, inching it just close enough with the movement, so that he could grab it fully with his right hand.

Lorden starred at the small, black, lock box esque chest for a tick, before glancing up at the driver. Opening his lips to speak, the knight gestured the small chest he held, in the direction of the man.

"And what's in here?" Lorden asked the man, his face still bearing only the smallest traces, of his mirth from before.

"Feel free to see for yourself Ser," the driver responded after a moment, his eyes respectfully noting the sword shaped pin, that stuck into Lorden's right collar.

Alright then, Lorden thought, placing his hand over top the minuscule box's lid. Grasping the lid of the box, the knight pulled his hand back, revealing the small glass vials lined up inside.

Inkwells, Lorden noted. The man was either a scribe, or he was selling to one. Inquisitively, the knight looked up to address the driver, waiting for the man to recognize his movement and began to pay attention.

"Did you plan to sell these in the Bazaar?" the knight asked, genuinely curious. Lorden assumed the man could have done scribe-work anywhere, and thus he must have been a merchant.

"There's a few scholarly men here in Syliras Ser," the driver said, before he stopped thoughtfully for a moment.

"A scribe named Dominac is always buying this sort of thing, or so I hear," the man continued. It looked like the driver wasn't done talking, so Lorden kept his lips sealed, in an attempt to be respectful.

"I guess I could sell all of it in the Bazaar though, a Miza is a Miza," the man shrugged, proving Lorden's hunch right as he spoke.

"That it is," Lorden said, nodding agreeingly at the driver, as he closed shut the lid of the chest, that he held in his hands.

The knight broke his eyes away from the driver's, instead he turned and stretched himself out over the wagon once more. Lorden took the box he transported in his grasp, and placed it firmly as close as he could, to where it had originally sat.

Taking a breath, Lorden spoke as he bent back up, and grabbed for the open sack to his left.

"Alright," the knight mouthed as he wrapped shut the sack he held, with the rope he had previously unwound.

Lorden placed the sack in the right-hand corner of the cart, before grabbing hold of the wagon's siding. Lowering himself, the knight stepped one foot off of the wagon's wheel, and then another, before he was firmly once more on the ground. Taking a step back, and turning, Lorden began walking so that he stood to the front of the wagon, but purposefully positioned himself over to the right a bit.

"I think your'e good to go," Lorden assured the driver, locking eyes with the brunet that stood, over to the other side of the cart, as he spoke. A friendly smirk formed on Lorden's face.

'I think I was pretty un-frightening,' Lorden signed over to his fellow knight, as the merchant wagon began to move off, in the direction of the gates.
Last edited by Lorden Ladis on February 22nd, 2015, 12:12 am, edited 9 times in total.
Lorden Ladis
Arm of the Law

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lorden Ladis on February 17th, 2015, 2:53 am

4th of Winter, 514 AV

Lorden signaled his fellow guard with a few quick hand movements, as his eyes caught the fluttering outline of a traveler walking down the Kabrin.

'What do you thi-' as he tried to make idle conversation, Lorden found his fingers slowing as he struggled with the proper signs.

'Having trouble?' the other guard signed, a stupid-smirk slipping over his lips.

'Give me a break,' Lorden moved his hands intently, all but rolling his eyes.

'It's not like Ekeldi is-,' Lorden chided himself mentally, as he failed to think of the motion that meant 'Common', in the knight's sign language. Unable to find what he sought among his memories, Lorden sighed, and rephrased his 'sentence'.

'It's not like Ekeldi is like speaking normal,' as he singed, he couldn't help but smile, despite the embarrassment plain on his cheeks.

Also smiling, the brunet across from him made a movement with his hands. Lorden raised his brow, wondering if he was being imitated, or just mocked.

'What are you doing?' the knight inquired, trying not to appear too argumentative or self-conscious.

'That's the sign for Common,' the guard replied, making the same movement as he had a moment ago, to close the sentence.

'Thanks,' Lorden said quickly, as his eyes widened in recognition. The knight tucked what he had seen of the motions, away in his head.

Glancing over to his left, Lorden observed that the traveler was closer now, not twenty feet away. Routinely, Lorden turned to the right, before dropping his leather-clad feet into the ground, and taking a few few forward steps away from his posting.

"What's your business here friend?" Lorden questioned, noting how odd it felt to change from signs back to spoken speech. As he spoke, the man he addressed framed a bit of a nervous face.

"I'd hoped to petition the knighthood," the traveler spoke, looking on at Lorden through his long black hair, as he appeared to carefully phrase his words.

"Petition for what?" Lorden asked bluntly. The way the man seemed to tactfully asses what he said, had a part of Lorden disliking the charismatic air he gave off. The knight just barely kept himself from frowning, as the man began to move his lips once more.

"For membership, what else my good man?" as the charismatic individual replied, Lorden squinted his eyes a bit, trying to decide his measure of the man. Figuring he was inclined to offer at least basic assistance regardless, Lorden continued his exchange with the traveler.

"Membership. That's not something that's easy to come by, the knight admitted, trying to be truthful, without appearing arrogant. Lorden looked over his shoulder inquisitively, glancing at his silent counterpart, yet the man offered no encouragement.

"But I'm sure we can help you, at least find where you can get some information," as the knight spoke, he purposely placed the word 'we', to try and draw his counterpart into the conversation. Lorden was new to manning the gates, he wasn't sure of the protocol in this situation; though he assumed it involved directing the traveler to the Recruitment Office, that was but an educated guess.
Last edited by Lorden Ladis on February 18th, 2015, 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lorden Ladis
Arm of the Law

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lorden Ladis on February 17th, 2015, 5:34 am

4th of Winter, 514 AV

"Indeed we can," answered the deep voice, that Lorden had been waiting for. Looking over appreciatively, the knight watched as his partner for the day stepped up beside him, to greet the black-haired traveler.

"My name is Ser Edwin Boris," smiling as his feet came to a stop, the middle-aged brunet stuck his arm out towards the stranger.

"Yaven," the traveler said, obviously indicating himself. Continuing with the introductions, Yaven clasped the outstretched forearm of the knight.

"It's a pleasure," the black-haired squire-to-be proclaimed, as he grasped Edwin's arm for a tick. As the man finished speaking, Edwin averted his eyes over to Lorden for a moment, a knowing smile skirting across his features, as he opened his mouth.

"For all of us, I'm sure." Edwin promised. The Knight stopped talking politely for a moment, before continuing on to speak.

"You know, it seems like we get new Squires by the dozen every day. Bah, but what am I saying? You're all more than welcome," Edwin allowed himself to further welcome Javin; a light, friendly smile still sitting on his lips, as he spoke. Lorden remained quiet, beginning to feel a bit awkward for not thinking in the same way as Edwin, earlier.

"Gratitude Ser Edwin, truly," Javin looked between Lorden and the charismatic man beside him, obviously longing for one of them to say something in particular. When neither Lorden nor Edwin spoke for a tick or two, Javin, with a sigh all but visible in his eye, opened his smirking mouth.

"You two said you could help me along, yes? Javin inquired, edging a polite, but urging tint into his tone.

"We did say that," Lorden confirmed, trying to make his way back into the conversation. As the knight spoke, Ser Edwin fiddled with his belt pocket, before dropping his hand back down to his belt, and slumping his shoulders.

"Would you mind?" Edwin said, gesturing his iron-clad hand towards Lorden.

"Your gauntlet?" Lorden wasn't sure what else the knight could mean.

"Yes, could you pull it off? I'm afraid the thickness of the other one, keeps me from doing it myself; and seeing as how my squire isn't around," the man smiled kindheartedly at Lorden, yet the knight couldn't help but feel a little scorned by his last phrase.

"Of course," Lorden responded, his voice a bit stiff.

Reaching his right arm up, Lorden took his own leather-covered right hand, and clasped it around the wrist area of Edwin's thick gauntlet. Moving for some leverage, the knight also willed his left hand up, and grabbed the metal that covered Edwin's forearm. With a simple shoulder-based tug, Lorden slid the metal covering from the brunette's hand.

Inclining his head thankfully to Lorden, Edwin reached back down towards his belt. The knight opened a belt pouch, before diving his fingers into another one inquisitively; perhaps not quite too sure of where he was looking for, Lorden noted.

"Here we are," Ser Edwin proclaimed, withdrawing his one free hand from the leftmost pocket on his belt, a piece of greatly folded paper now squeezed between his fingers. The older knight held the paper up for a moment, perhaps trying to verify that it was indeed the right sheet, before stretching his arm out in Lorden's direction, once more.

"Once more. Could you be so kind lad?" Lorden glanced down at his fellow knight's gauntleted left hand, as the man spoke. The knight decided to just swallow his unneeded embarrassment, that had stemmed from Edwin's previous comment, of which the man had probably thought nothing of. Resolve in mind, Lorden stretched out his fingers, and took the paper sheet with his own dominant hand.

The black-haired knight reached his left fingers underneath the folds of the paper, before pulling his hands together and apart, again and again, until a map of Stormhold castle unfurled itself. As the knight handed the paper back to his partner, Edwin stepped and turned to stand behind the other black-haired man, that stood patiently before them. Lorden followed Ser Edwin, coming to stand on the opposite side of Javin.

"Alright, this is where we are," Edwin said, indicating the gates of Syliras with his free hand, the map being clasped clumsily, in his metal-covered left.

"Your going to want to go the Dyres District, which is here," the brunette traced his finger up and to the east.

"From there just find another knight, they'll usher you to the Recruitment Office forthwith," Edwin assured, leaving his finger hovering about the eastern section of the map, and looking up to see if Javin might have any questions.

"What's the knighthood actually like? I mean I've heard the tales but," Javin trailed off, a bit of a adventure-lusting spark flaring his eye. Lorden smiled, as he noted the look in, what he knew would be, a future squire's green orbs.

"Hard, sweaty, and bloody, Lorden comforted.

"And I'm just talking about the squire's barracks, it gets better if you actually make it to wear one of these," Lorden said encouragingly, tapping the insignia on his right collar.

"I'm willing," Javin said with a determined smirk.

"Oh? You better be," Lorden ventured as far as to clasp the young man on the shoulder, as he spoke, before allowing his right hand to once more fall to his side contently. Javin gave Lorden a nod.

"Than you both for your help, it's been appreciated, really" as he spoke, Javin looked at both of the men expectantly.

"Just make sure you don't get lost on your way to the Dyres District," Sir Edwin said, patting Javin on the back, and urging him forward to the gate.

"And don't forget what I said about being ready," Lorden warned, as the man began slowly on his way.
Last edited by Lorden Ladis on February 18th, 2015, 8:06 am, edited 9 times in total.
Lorden Ladis
Arm of the Law

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lorden Ladis on February 17th, 2015, 5:43 am

4th of Winter, 514 AV

Lorden folded the paper routinely, glancing over to the right, as he heard Edwin shuffle at his side.

"You know. I still remember my interview to become a Squire. Father almost didn't let me go, if you'll believe it," the older knight mused out loud. Lorden's friendly smile almost faltered for a moment.

"I remember talking with the knights when I was a boy. I was too young really to know what a Page actually even did," Lorden said, painful memories from the past, biting away at the fringes of his good mood.

"My father approved, however," Lorden said; leaving out the part about how his father, had asked a family friend to enroll Lorden as a Page, on what appeared to be the man's deathbed.
Lorden Ladis
Arm of the Law

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on March 14th, 2015, 3:22 pm

Your Grades Have Arrived

Lorden

Skills:
Skill EXP
Observation +3
Socialization +5
Climbing +1
Investigation +1

Lores:
  • Guard duty at the Syliran Gates
  • Investigation: Searching a cart
  • Helping recruit a squire
  • Ser Edwin Boris: Fellow knight

Shield Points:
Shield Points Earned Reason
+4 Patrolling/guard duty
+2 Helping a citizen

Total: +6 Shield Points

Comments :
Great thread. I loved how thorough you were with describing the whole guard duty process. It was very convincing even though both events within the thread seemed quite routine.

EDIT: I made an error on how expenses are calculated. You were right the first time with your winter expenses being 45GM.

Secondly, I found that it’s a bit difficult to read Lorden’s dialogue text because it’s such a dark red. It’s not impossible, but often I found myself highlighting the text to read it more easily. Just something to note.

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request in the grade request thread. However, make sure to keep the link so that the DS can review graded threads with ease.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message.

Enjoy.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)