Completed The First Lesson (Sezkero)

What must the strong do about the weak?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The First Lesson (Sezkero)

Postby Hirem on March 2nd, 2015, 8:51 pm

"An orphanage?" Hirem repeated, unsure of what the Common word meant. He turned to Sezkero and furrowed his brow, waiting for some kind of an explanation. Despite his unfamiliarity with the concept, as the woman introduced him to the idea of what an orphanage was - "It's a place for the children to stay. A community home for the children." - he quickly grew enthused by the prospect. The fact there is a word in Common for such a thing means... means that it has been done before! Kero must have found one in another city, how else would she come to know what it meant? Turning his gaze back to the street, a slow smile brewing on his features, Hirem folded his arms and tried to imagine exactly what Sezkero was suggesting. But what is a community home for children? What does it look like? How does one run it? In this respect, he was crippled by his Benshira heritage; in Yahebah, there simply was no real 'community home' that was established for parentless children. Ziborah's Palm, a charity house, had catered to the widowed and the orphaned, but children did not actually stay there for any period of time - they stayed with their cousins, their neighbours, their friends. The idea that someone would be unwanted and cast off into the streets was laughable in Yahebah.

But this wasn't Yahebah, and Hirem couldn't rely on the attitudes of his people to survive in this foreign society. If he wanted to provide a home for children in need, then the Rivarians would expect that he would create the foundation for one to be established. Anything else would be cowardly.

Sezkero's enthusiasm for the idea died quickly, and she immediately started to retract her words. "I-I mean, of courssse it isss unrealissstic. The councccil wouldn't go through with it." Frowning, Hirem glanced up the cliff face behind them, staring up at the towering city of the Akalak. Wouldn't they? They are opposed to these orphans wandering the streets, and would rather see them evicted from the streets... but if an alternative was presented to them? If they could be presented with a more hopeful, a more prosperous solution? Trying to convince the Council to support this idea - for there didn't seem to be anyone else that would fund this plan of theirs - seemed impossible, but Hirem wasn't willing to call it a lost cause just yet. They are not possessed with malice. If they see a way to keep the peace as well as bring happiness to their streets, they will take it... I'm sure of it. Noticing that his friend was now heading out of the alley, Hirem redirected his steps to follow alongside her, tucking his cold fingers into his armpits for warmth. All the while, he considered what she had said, weighed the potential risks of this plan with the benefits, and tried to envision a future where it was possible. It will be tough, yes - but if we can make it work? If we can make it succeed? While he had been trying to work through this issue for the past season by himself, and hadn't tried reaching out to any of his friends for support, he was grateful to rely upon Sezkero as a source of aid.

"You are right, it is an expensive prospect. But how expensive would it really be for a city of this magnitude? How much would it cost to feed and clothe a - a dozen or so children? How much would it cost once those children can support themselves, can work and provide for the city on their own terms? And what would we be able to give back to Riverfall for its contribution? I think," he declared proudly, "that the Council would be all too happy to support the education of more skilled workers that can assist the city in its various industries. Throwing these children away is just wasting an opportunity... we can make them see that." Reaching out, he placed a firm hand on Sezkero's shoulder, squeezing it gently to give her encouragement. "And these children... they are unwilling to take risks, but they understand the danger they are in. If we can only show them the safety that we can provide, they will be eager to come under our protection. Anything is better than facing the wrath of the Kuvay'Nas. They will be unwilling to trust us, but we can change their minds. All we need is do is," and here he gave her a knowing wink, "show them the truth of our hearts."

Stopping in the middle of the alley, Hirem faced Sezkero and gave her a firm nod. "Here's what I propose. I have not seen a Kuvan brand on your wrist yet, and as you can see, I don't possess one myself. The Council would never listen to guests of the city claiming they know how to run it. We must work towards gaining those brands." That was the first step, and by far, the easiest. "Next, we must work towards gaining an audience with them. I do not know how yet, but I will find a way. To persuade them, we'll need to explain the situation and give them our plan on how we'll transform these wayward children into proper citizens of Riverfall. If we can get a few of the boys to speak out for themselves, that will aid our cause tremendously. To that end," he gestured back in the direction of where they had come, "we should maintain these little visits. Every ten days or so, we can meet here and talk to the children that will arrive, cultivating their trust. Once we feel that they have grown adjusted to us, we will reveal to them our plan. We'll ease them into the idea of moving to an orphanage."

By the time he was finished speaking, he was beaming, his smile wide despite the growing chill. He stuck his hand out to Sezkero, an offer to shake and cement the pact that he had formed between them. "My friend, what do you say?"

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ssezzkero on March 3rd, 2015, 1:40 am

"But how expensive would it really be for a city of this magnitude? How much would it cost to feed and clothe a - a dozen or so children? How much would it cost once those children can support themselves, can work and provide for the city on their own terms? And what would we be able to give back to Riverfall for its contribution? " As the snake listened to Hirems words, she couldn't help but agree with his points. Of course all of her attempts to make it seem dumb would be rebutted, it wasn't it simply wasn't. "Throwing these children away is just wasting an opportunity... we can make them see that."

"But could we? Maybe my view on the cccity isss not asss complacccent asss yoursss, but Riverfall thrivesss on violenccce and independencccce, once of which I ssstrongly disssagree with." Sezkero argued. "Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you. I jussst, It ssseemsss ssso... imposssssible.

But Hirem was far more confident than she was, and he tried to reassure her with a hand on her shoulder, which only made her feel like a child. So stop acting like one, think about the children. She scolded herself, if this was to be a thing anyway, there would be plenty of time to discuss it. I twas obvious that Hirem had such an idea in his mind far longer than she even knew of orphans in the city. It just might work.

But now Hirem had stopped. He obtained her undivided attention as his thoughts spouted into the open. All of it sounded like a plan, only solidifying the idea and giving proof to the fact that this is not the first time the Benshira has thought about it. Sezkero's face split into a smile as she begun to realize how possible this actually was. How, by this chance meeting, she may aide a stranger in a completely selfless path, one that she had not ever thought of before.

Sezkero couldn't help but be caught up in the excitement. But once Hirem had finished talking, her smile faltered. The Benshira had taken to the idea just as quickly as she had, and hardly paused on the fact that they had just met. It took Sezkero a few seconds to mull this over. It was obvious that both of them wanted to simply jump into this project, but was it a reasonable wish? Was she too trusting in this man she just met to expect that they would simply start an orphanage. Such a huge project. But when his hand was offered, Sezkero tried not to hesitate.

After all, this must have been in Hirem's mind for ages, unlike herself. Whereas she was just introduced to the concept of homeless children in Riverfall, of all places, today, he was fully aware. For him it was not so sudden as it was for her, which only justified his willingness more so. By his question of what an orphanage was, she could only assume he had been stuck. The charitable and good man before her had met a dead end, and she happened to be placed in his path to help him. Was this why she was meant to be here? Was there a destiny to be charitable and generous as she had never been before? Was this another effect of the plague? One that was simply muted by the distress of more negative symptoms. Sezkero could no answer any of the questions that raced through her brain, taunting her thoughts and demanding her attention. Instead she renewed her smile. With a nod of her head, she pulled her fur clad fingers from under her cloak, and took the man's massive hand as confidently as she could."I think itsss a brilliant idea, I can think of nothing lesssss noble." She shook the hand with as much vigor as her stiff limbs could achieve.

Common | Snake-Tongue | Tukant | Thoughts | PC/NPC Talking
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Rosela on March 15th, 2015, 5:12 am

E
E
Congratulations! You've Been Awarded:

Hirem :
XP:
Philosophy +2
Observation +2
Socialization +1
Teaching +2
Investigation +1
Leadership +2
Rhetoric +1
Storytelling +1
Planning +1

Lores:
Philosophy: Accept the Weak, Make them Strong
Sezkero: Also, Kero
Orphanage: A Home for Children
The Plan for Riverfall’s Orphanage

Sezkero :
XP:
Observation +3
Investigation +1
Philosophy +1
Rhetoric +3
Planning +2

Lores:
Hirem and Riverfall’s Orphans
Hirem’s Winter Cloak Deal
Riverfall: How it Deals with Orphans
Hirem: How Yahebah Treated Orphans
Hirem: Why he Does It
The Plan for Riverfall’s Orphanage

Notes :
So happy to see this plan getting off the ground! A lovely little thread, great job to you both :)

If you have any questions or concerns about what was awarded, don't hesitate to PM me. When you're finished, please edit or delete your grade request from the grading queue.
E
E

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous