PM to join [Alements] Stirrings of Another Soul (Rosela)

Life's journey leads one to strange contradictions, and stranger hypocrites.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Alements] Stirrings of Another Soul (Rosela)

Postby Hirem on February 1st, 2015, 4:09 am

What Hirem glimpsed of Rosela made every suspicion of his seem justified. For years now, he had hidden the truth from the world around him, fearing their reaction to his story. Fearing what they might say to him, how they might treat him differently in light of the fact that he was a monster. Chance, a newfound sense of determination, a feeling of intimacy, and a little bit of ale had helped give him the confidence to tell Rosela of his past. He had thought that the earnest look in those emerald eyes could weather any storm he sent her way.

He was wrong. Looking at Rosela, he could see her shock as plain as day. He shuddered and tried to pretend it was for his sake.

He could see the tears in her eyes, running down her cheeks. His teeth chattered together in the cold.

He could see the fear driving her back, making her step away from the caged beast. Now he knew that he could not ignore the obvious any longer. There was no Eypharian look in her eyes now... now it was just a look of barely contained terror.

Beyond Rosela, the black waters of the Suvan roiled in the wintry night. His eyes glazing over, the Benshira stared out to he ocean, his mouth ajar and hands twitching at his sides. From this height, and with little light, it was impossible to spot the tides. A blanket of unblemished night spread out to the distant horizon... it seemed inviting to him, in that dark moment.

A hiss of air escaped his lips. Tearing his gaze away from Rosela, Hirem stared up at the roof of the patio and clenched his fists tightly together. His heart was racing, desperately clamouring for some kind of answer from the poor woman he had just regaled all his horrors to. He felt weak all over, feverish, ice cold and burning heat. It was all talk, he realized then, thinking on his brave words earlier. Offer your woes to Yahal in full, and he will pluck from them the road to your salvation... all lies. All I have gained tonight is more regret, more guilt, more of everything I have been trying to escape. He was glad that Rosela had not decided to let go of her secrets, for if they had been released, she would likely be as devastated as he felt. This was a mistake, he thought, closing his eyes. All of this was a mistake. I should have just let us talk of pleasantries, of sweeter things... I should never have decided to speak of our sins. Feeling a wave of frustration rise up within him, Hirem bit down hard on his lip and had to restrain himself from lashing out.

Finally, Rosela had something to say. "You...what you did to those people...I think...any sane, free man would have done the same." Hirem turned his head and stared at her in disbelief, eyes red with tears. She was not quick to meet his gaze, making him shake with despair. She cannot bear to look at me. She cannot bear to look at this criminal before her. It was amazing that Rosela was trying to continue talking with him, after hearing about what he had once done to her countrymen. "To fight for one's freedom is natural. It's...right. For their deaths, I think your regret is punishment enough." "Ha!" Hirem breathed, only just able to prevent himself from bursting into sobs. "If I had been acting naturally, I might have stopped with Suli... with Rajar and Efrans. There was no need to murder Shasti. There was no need to slaughter the others. I was not fighting to protect myself... I was fighting to kill." It was hard to speak in this way and thus break whatever last remnants of faith Rosela had in his good nature, but he could not keep the truth to himself. She had to know that there was no defence for what he had done.

"Hate is a terrible, painful thing, and if you let it lead you, it only brings you more of the same." She was right, so completely and awfully right, that Hirem could only nod his head up and down, gasping for words. He had spent so much time hating the Eypharians for the crimes of three prideful young men, that he had forgotten the truth of the world; there was good and bad in every sphere. To ignore that was to ignore the belief of Yahal that everyone could be redeemed so long as they had faith. The Benshira tried to maintain his calm in the face of Rosela's comforts... and couldn't. Closing his eyes, Hirem let out a quiet whimper and hung his head low, legs barely able to keep him supported. "Why...?" he whispered in Shiber, covering his eyes with trembling hands. "Why?"

Through the sound of his own erratic breathing, he heard Rosela continue to speak. "I said Riverfall is a place that lets you leave the past behind. I think you could do that, if you wanted." Hirem glanced over to her, feeling that familiar kindle of hope light in his heart. That's what I want. That's what I want more than anything. And he was almost there, wasn't he? Just a few more hurdles were left. Just a few more steps, and he could be a new man. "Maybe your god will want to have a few words with you over what's been done, but as one mortal to another...I think you're okay." He nearly broke out into more sobbing, wanting to believe in Rosela so much that it hurt. He wanted her to be right. He had no idea what she thought a 'good' man was, but he wanted very much to be 'okay' in her eyes. Wiping the tears from his cheeks, Hirem watched her approach warily, instinctually thinking that he might have to run for the door. What does she want now?

Then she hugged him.

Rosela re Ahnatep, seamstress of Red Diamond Fashions, hugged him.

Hirem could scarcely believe it. He stood, shocked, as her arms encircled him, wondering if she had just slipped and was using him to brace her fall. The touch of her hands upon his back, on his skin, made him feel nervous, confused, scared... and yet relieved, all at the same time. I can't believe that I've forgotten what it felt like, he remarked, thinking on how long it had been since someone had done something so significant as give him a hug. It's been... a very long time. He was only taken aback for a moment longer before surrendering to the hug, closing his eyes and wrapping both arms tight around Rosela. He breathed in her smell, felt her warmth, and enjoyed the heat of her breath. "I know you don't really care about my forgiveness, and I don't think I'm entitled to give it anyway, but I still think you're okay." Smiling into the woman, Hirem tenderly reached up and stroked his hand through her hair, allowing the tears in his eyes to dry up. "Thank you," he murmured mindlessly, repeating the words over and over again in barely-pronounced Common. "Thank you."

After what seemed like bells, Hirem finally let his arms fall to his sides, stepping away from Rosela with a dizzy smile on his face. He loathed to break the contact, but he felt ready to move on. To be reborn. Gently brushing aside the hair from her forehead, the Benshira leaned forward and placed a kiss on her brow. "Yahal's blessings upon you," he murmured, his voice weak. "You are worthy of the tallest palaces in Ahnatep." Then, struck by a sudden, maddening urge, the Benshira kissed her once more, this time on the lips. He grasped her by the base of her neck and tilted her chin up to meet him, eyes closing as the wind's chill was momentarily forgotten. She tasted sweet to him, sweeter than anything he had experienced in an excruciatingly long time, but he did not allow himself to revel for too long in that pleasure. Breaking away once more from the Eypharian, Hirem gave her a quiet nod. "Thank you, Rosela." He gestured over the Alements proper, using his free hand to wipe the last tears from his cheeks. "Shall we return inside and speak of more pleasant things?"

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Rosela on February 20th, 2015, 1:32 am

Hirem seemed so fragile as Rosela embraced him, as though he would break apart at any moment. The grief and the fear and the anger had turned something in him to clay, so easily broken. Like a flash of lightning in the dark, she saw herself, her Old Self in a dream, clutching a crude clay doll in her hands. She saw herself squeeze it cruelly and snap its tiny, misshapen head from its body. In that moment, she feared who she once was and the hate she would have reflected right back at him. Instead of forgiveness and understanding, she would have flung fury and vitriol. Old Rosela was a whip-wielder, a slave-maker, and a stone wall to all opposition. As Hirem’s arms encircled her, she was glad for the first time that Old Rosela was gone.

The feeling of his hands moving over her hair was calming, and she found with surprise that the anxiety she felt around her Talvis was absent. Likhren tried so hard to be sweet, but even the feel of his hand over hers sent waves of discomfort through her. Here, amongst the intimate shadows of Alements’ chilly patio, she held Hirem and he held her and it was the span of the desert away from those awkward moments. Hirem thanked her quietly in heavily accented Common, and she didn’t have the words to tell him she didn’t need it.

The moment seemed longer than it was by the time they broke apart, and she squeezed her eyes shut as he laid a tender kiss on her forehead. She huffed a laugh at his blessing, feeling thoroughly that she didn’t deserve it, but thought it was sweet anyway. ”Blessings on you too? And no palaces. I have what I need here.” Her attempt at humor fell flat, but she didn't have time to appreciate it.

His large hand encircled the back of her neck and only a surprised ”Oh!” squeaked out before he kissed her. Through the shock it was...beautiful. There was no lust, no need, and no dominance in it, and as her eyes instinctively closed, it surprised her more how deeply her Talvis and the planting of the child in her belly had made those things an expectation. Hirem was nothing like Likhren. Hirem was strong and ultimately, good. Even if he felt he was a little hazy on the latter.

The kiss broke as suddenly as it had begun. His large hands released her and she rocked backward. She felt dizzy, and she blinked wide eyes as heat flushed her face, looking sightlessly at the pilled cotton of his shirt. ”I, uh,” her voice creaked out, embarrassingly high. She cleared her throat discreetly. ”Um, yes. Inside. Pleasant.” A cold breeze took the opportunity to whistle through and it quickly stole the heat radiating off her cheeks, reminding her of the fire and her heavy cloak inside. ”Yes, let’s go in and warm up with some wi-“ She stopped herself with a much put-upon sigh as she turned towards the door, absently patting her hair. Tea, I mean, tea.”

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hirem on February 21st, 2015, 8:09 am

Earlier this evening, Hirem had shaved the beard he had been allowing to grow for the past four years. He hadn't bothered with grooming until now because he had believed, at the beginning, that it made him look wise, and in the later years he just didn't care enough to lift the razor to his flesh. To remake himself with the sharp end of a blade. He hadn't cared until now, but this evening marked the beginning of... something different. Starting tonight, he would strive to be that something different. To be someone different. To create a different path. It would be a difficult journey, one that would be filled with unknowns, but with the heat of the Alements filling him and the soft whisper of Rosela's lips fading from his mind, he felt ready to tackle the impossible. I have taken the sword of truth and carved my sins from my flesh. With those chains split, I can begin anew. I can do this. I can build a future atop the boulder that is my past. I am Hirem of Riverfall. If Rosela had managed to create a new, prosperous life for herself here, then he could too. This was the land of opportunity, and Hirem was ready to live up to his full potential.

The question of, who am I becoming?, no longer scared him. Because a first step away from the ruin of his life was a step in the right direction.

Leading his friend back into the tavern, Hirem was grateful for the renewed warmth of the building interior. "We Eyktoli were built for many things," he murmured in a joking aside, his face bright with mirth. "But winter is not one of them. Morwen is best kept far away from us." Activity inside the Alements had simmered down in the time that they were away.- Hirem could not tell how long they had spent on the patio, but it had felt like a full bell. Maneuvering back to their empty table, the Benshira allowed Rosela to sit down first before he joined her, waving over the nearby Elise. "Two pots of tea," he ordered, reaching into his coin purse. "And a plate of cheese as well." Offering a smile to the server - gods, he had come here with a mighty weight in his heart and now felt like all of it had been lifted! - Hirem looked back over to the Eypharian and folded his hands. "I must ask, do you continue to work in your current condition? Surely... was it Hudon? Surely Hudon is taking over for you whenever possible."

But before Rosela could respond, Hirem quickly shook his head. "That is not to say you are helpless as you are! Surely not. When I was eleven years old, I remember there was this woman staying with our Tent... a foreign girl, taken in because she had nowhere else to turn." He spread his arms wide, grinning. "Very big. My mother kept insisting that we limit the Tent's movements to give this girl the most comfort in the desert, and the girl kept insisting we do nothing of the sort. Her name was Marnya. One day, Marnya woke us all up with this great shouting, as she came running from the field to the north, her arms flapping up and down. 'There's jackals nearby! Jackals!' She roused my father and got him hurrying over to that field with sling in hand, ready to ward off any predators. It was only when they arrived that my father realized Marnya was well-past due. She ended up giving birth in that field."

"And you know, that whole time she was with us, my father kept asking Marnya at the evening fire... 'What are your plans? What do you intend to do with that child?' Maryna couldn't answer. She just told us she'd figure it out later. And then, when she was finally finished and she held her little girl in her arms, and we were all gathered around, she looked up at my father and smiled. 'I'm going to raise her in the city of my birth.' In that moment, she knew where her future was headed. It was..." He sighed, and rubbed his brow gently. "In that moment, she was changed, and knew exactly what she wanted to become. I think I have been searching for that moment. I think I may have found it."

"I envy you. I envy your business," he admit to her, nodding quietly. "I want something like that for myself. I'm not sure of what, exactly, I can create... but a sign will be shown to me. The answer will make itself clear. And when the opportunity arrives, I will seize it with both hands. I will make my own Red Diamond, if the gods are good."

Deciding then to change the conversation, Hirem leaned back in his seat and gestured to her. "So... I hope this does not offend you, but who is the father? Is he an Akalak or another foreigner like ourselves? A business partner?" He might have asked many more questions, had the tea not unexpectedly arrived. "Ahh," he murmured, thanking Elise and quickly pouring them each a cup. "Here, to Hirem and Rosela, old and new! May the future be as bright as the sun of our homeland!"

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on March 3rd, 2015, 4:26 pm

Heat flooded Rosela’s skin as they re-entered the tavern, sending first a wave of goosebumps and then a veil of sweat over her skin, both shortlived. The shadows flickered at them from their corners, and wrapped curiously around their legs as they sat. Her cloak was still folded neatly in their booth and Rosela slid in next to it with a comforted sigh. ”I’ve never gotten used to the winters here. Each one seems colder than the last.” She smiled up at Elise as she took Hirem’s order. ”Thank you,” she said quietly to him, not questioning his offer to pay.

As he spoke of her work, it summoned memories of swollen ankles and fatigue, but she chuckled as he quickly backtracked. The story he told was sweet, but as he told of Maryna’s birth, her smile faltered slightly and two hand slid unconsciously over her stomach. She was only just becoming accustomed to the child in her belly; the thought of the birth, let alone what would happen after, made goosebumps that had nothing to do with the air break out over her skin.

”I do still work…so I’m not entirely helpless. Even before…this, I only worked the front desk one day in seven, so that seems to be working so far. I might ask Hudon to start working that extra one come Spring, if it gets too hard to be on my feet.” She smiled softly as he revealed his undirected ambitions to her. ”Something will come. I came to Riverfall expecting to apprentice somewhere, maybe slowly work my way up? Nope, as soon as Malin suggested I start my own business, I knew it was the right thing. You just need the right idea and then you’ll never know how you did without it.”

So pleasant was the hope that he would find his calling that his inquiry about her situation caught her completely off guard. The color drained from her face and she was desperately grateful for the arrival of the food and drink so she could compose herself. Hirem seemed sufficiently distracted by pouring their tea as she attempted to swallow past the lump in her throat. She didn’t say anything to the toast, and could only return a brittle smile. It was possible he hadn’t noticed the gold undan on her lowest wrist, or that he took it for simply another of the gold bangles she already wore. Perhaps he didn’t notice her jewelry at all, men were like that sometimes. Perhaps he had noticed and this was his sweet, roundabout way of asking who her Talvis was.

She realized the silence was lengthening, and she attempted to take a sip of her tea and found it too hot. ”Um, it’s, um…” Unable to meet his eyes, she snatched a piece of cheese from the plate. How could she tell him? After telling Caelum, she’d sworn not to tell anyone else. Caelum had been one of the first people she’d had a true conversation with after being released from the healing center, and that was only after he’d offered to help her during her pregnancy. Hirem was different. It was one thing to ask that he allow her past to buried, it was another to shelter the weed in her mind that was flowering for everyone to see.

How could she not tell him when he’d just bared his soul to her?

”It’s complicated,” she began lamely, immediately wondering why she’d started with such a ridiculous understatement. She glanced up, and the moment their eyes met, tears sprang to hers. Biting her lip, she cleared her throat forcefully. Could she not go ten chimes without crying? The couple in the table nearest them suddenly stood to leave, and Rosela was made acutely aware that they were in a public place, despite the tavern being mostly empty by now. Lowering her voice, she leaned in and spoke over her teacup.

”I wasn’t around for the summer, and most of the fall. I don’t know if you’d noticed. It wasn’t long after we first met actually, that I, that I…I was unconscious. Someone had attacked me, I think it was the 12th? They said I was hit on the head and dropped in the bay. I don’t remember. A Charoda saved me.” One hand slid up to touch to back of her head, where she knew the scar lay. ”But I didn’t wake up. They took me to Gilia, and,” she paused to bark a laugh, staring down at the plate of cheese. The pit in her stomach wanted to stuff herself with the tiny cubes. ”The place isn't exactly cheap! They didn’t even know if I’d ever wake up…” Her gaze slid downwards to rest on her stomach, her hair falling over her face. She didn’t brush it back; she wanted to hide her shame. Again, she reminded herself that she must tell him. He was so free after giving her his sins, maybe she would be granted the same reprieve?

”A man, an Akalak, heard about my condition. He told the Oathmaster, and they said,” her voice broke and she paused to swallow hard. ”They said if became a Nakivak, they would pay for my treatment while I was unconscious. They said I would have died without it. So they…um…they, yeah.” Unable to say it aloud, she sniffled instead and forced herself to look up. One trembling hand whipped quickly over her eyes, trying to casually brush away the tears. She glanced out at the rest of the tavern. What few patrons remained were thankfully not looking.

”It’s actually not all that bad?" She shrugged, the other four of her arms hugging close to her body. "I’ve met him, and he’s so sorry. He wants to take care of me now. We’re, we’re working on it.” Her smile was broken and forced. She didn’t feel relieved at all.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hirem on March 5th, 2015, 2:58 am

Even though he was growing closer to a full year spent in Riverfall, there were many things about the city that continued to confuse Hirem. He admired the Akalak spirit, and respected the discipline that had allowed them to carve this bastion of peace from the savagery of Cyphrus, but couldn't understand some aspects of their culture. Specifically, he could not comprehend their 'Nakivak' system that he had come into contact with. As far as he aware, there was no such thing as a female Akalak - they sired only sons, and relied upon other races for procreation. And yet, no matter where he went in the city, Hirem was unable to find the wives bound to the Akalak... their homes seemed to be composed entirely of fathers and sons. Perhaps their wives did not stay in the home and worked in the city, just as Rosela did - while this was strange to the Yahebah resident, Hirem could acknowledge that it suited the culture of the Rivarians.

But he had heard, time and time again, of women called "Nakivak", ordinary foreign women paid a handsome fee to bear Akalak children to term. At first he could scarcely believe that such a thing existed... surely, it was some kind of a joke the Rivarians were playing on the gullible Benshira? But nobody was laughing, and Hirem was forced to conclude that most Akalak children were being born to these Nakivak. To cope with this disgusting idea, Hirem had forced himself to believe that such an arrangement brought happiness to the Nakivak and her partner equally, that there was no way a woman could be forced into such a situation. It is no great horror to offer oneself as a potential mother... I cannot imagine how such a family operates, but at least the women are getting paid for this service. It cannot be so bad.

The look on Rosela's face as he asked after the father brought him a chill.

”Um, it's, um...” She stuttered, Hirem frowning in response. What kind of expectant mother reacts that way to a simple question? Surely it is not any effort to name the man? His worst fears roiling at the back of his mind, the Benshira forced himself to focus on the taste of his tea as the Eypharian mustered her strength to explain the situation. The silence that filled the air between them was not just awkward, but filled with a... a strange sense of dread. Despite no words from her on the matter, Hirem couldn't shake the sense that Rosela was somehow terrified of the man that had given her a son, or else shamed by the whole matter. He wanted desperately for this to not be the case, for Rosela to be living a happy life and be at peace with the child growing inside of her. But deep down, he knew that it wasn't the case. He and Rosela were similar in many respects - this mutual understanding made him feel as if he had some insight into the woman's mind. And he could sense the uncomfortable burden that was weighing down the Eypharian's thoughts. Buried underneath his joy, there was a seed of fury that was slowly working its way into his heart.

Finally, the story came out. "It wasn’t long after we first met actually, that I, that I…I was unconscious. Someone had attacked me, I think it was the 12th? They said I was hit on the head and dropped in the bay." Shock filled Hirem's features, and he could not prevent himself from openly gaping as Rosela continued the terrible tale. In what world is this the prelude to a mother gaining her child?! Feeling a tight knot forming in his stomach, the Benshira lowered his head and bit down hard on his lip. He wanted Rosela to stop speaking, to talk instead of the brave man that rescued her from her attackers, but that wasn't how things happened. ”They said if became a Nakivak, they would pay for my treatment while I was unconscious. They said I would have died without it." Groaning, Hirem shook his head and pressed his fingers deep into his temples. "I..." he began, having no idea where to continue his thoughts. "You were..." The woman's half-hearted comments that the situation was better than what he might have believed brought him no reassurance.

This could not stand.

This would not stand.

If he were another man... if he were the Hirem that he was just a year ago, he might have left the matter to Rosela and allow her to deal with situation on her own terms. He might have trusted her to know what was best for her own life. But that was not the man that had shaved his beard of four years earlier in the evening. That was not the man that had spilled his secrets out to someone that had every right to hate him. Instead, Hirem drew himself up in his seat, looked into Rosela's teary eyes, and took a deep breath. "Listen to me," he said, his voice a mere murmur amidst the din of the Alements tavern. "I trust that you will know whether or not you are in danger with this man, your... rescuer. But if you ever feel that he may hurt you... or take advantage of you because you carry his child... then you must talk to me, understand? I will protect you. You deserve that much, after what you have experienced." He tried to imagine Rosela laying in the Gillia, all alone and without a caretaker to help pay for her medical expenses, and the hulking Akalak that fancied her looming in close with a smile on his face... the thought made his insides curl.

Reaching forward on the table, Hirem leaned in close to the Eypharian, fingers clenching at the wooden surface. "Do you understand? If this man that has violated you comes near again... if he thinks to lay his hands on you when you are not able to resist... then let me know. I will kill him."

Just like that, the Benshira felt some of the man that he once was begin to slip away, and did nothing to stop the transition. "I will kill him." He repeated, his voice unrecognizable to his ears.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on March 5th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Hirem didn’t react quite the way she’d expected. She wasn’t sure what she’d expected.

Rosela didn’t know how, but she’d hoped releasing the story into the air between them would give her some peace so she could drink her tea and be as lighthearted as Hirem had become. Maybe she’d have even kissed him too.

She felt foolish for hoping, and the tears quickly returned. The circumstances of her pregnancy were nothing like Hirem’s past, only that they were both unpleasant. He had confessed his sins in order to overcome his regret and pain, not to make his history magically go away. Her confessing would do nothing for her. She regretted only that it had happened at all and short of ridding herself of the baby, an option thoroughly out of her reach, she would have no choice but to continue to bear it.

She protested weakly at his initial warning. ”No, no, he’s not like that. I know what you must think, but he’s, he’s…” He was what? Different? Better now? She didn’t know how to express the dichotomy of feelings Likhren inspired in her. On the face, he was so kind and caring, and he did seem to truly want to care for her. Underneath her skin, she was repulsed by his very touch. True, he was sorry for he’d done to her, but was that enough?

Hirem’s next words shocked her out of her thoughts. ”No, no, no…” She could only repeat the word over and over. Her throat constricted as she thought of the joyous man who’d kissed her just chimes ago. She’d laid this burden on him. Shifting so she could reach across the table, she attempted to pry one of his hands from the edge and clasp it between them. ”Please, don’t do that. Don’t go there. He hasn’t. He won’t,” she pleaded quietly.

”It’s not…good…but it could be so much worse. He’s so sorry for what he did. Some women, they don’t get ones that care. It could be so much worse.” She met his eyes fully and tried to convey everything she was feeling. ”Don’t, please. Don’t go to that place.” She closed her eyes slowly, fully regretting telling him. She couldn’t have possibly lied, but she hadn’t wanted to drag him down with her either. The words were out now, and she could only hope he would keep a level head about it.

”I…I’m tired.” She sighed deeply and looked around, brushing her hair back from her face. For lack of a better plan, she could imagine nothing she wanted more than the curl up in her bed right then. What she'd laid on him, stirred him to say, weighed heavily on her and she couldn't imagine how talking further would help. ”Walk me home?”

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hirem on March 6th, 2015, 7:54 pm

I will kill him.

I will kill him.

The words swirled through Hirem's mind, cackling as they turned round and round in an endless circle, taunting him. They cut deep under his skin and made him feel weak, feverish, ready to collapse in on himself... his expression troubled, the Benshira nervously reached for his cup of tea, trying to pass off his discomfort as just a product of the winter's chill. What's wrong with me? He wondered, terribly conflicted about the declaration that had slipped so easily from his lips, without a second thought. I have spoken at such length about my sins, brought them to life once again in the hopes of dispelling them, yet at the first chance offered I am eager to make more? What is the point of confessing guilt over my crimes if I immediately prepare to enact more? ... What must Rosela think of me, this crude murderer whose hands itch for blood, that cannot wait to end more lives in the name of offering peace?

While he was shocked at how utterly willing he was to offer the death of Rosela's tormentor, at the same time Hirem could not fault himself for the reaction. What that man... that beast did to her is unforgivable. She protests and champions his kindness, but I don't think she realizes just what has been done to her body, to her captive soul. This monster has befouled her, robbed her of the chance to savour this new life growing inside of her... it's barbaric. It's pure evil. Hirem knew that part of his disgust was borne from his Benshira sensibilities. Families were meant to be stared with care and affection, they were meant to be unions between two consenting souls bound together by Yahal's benevolent hand... not forced on some poor foreign woman as she lay broken on the healing bed! But more than just his own gut reaction, Hirem's anger was created out of some fresh desire to see Rosela defended. After all, they were both Eyktolians that had come to this city in search of a better future and fresh start for their troubled lives... what affected one affected the other.

Maintaining a grim silence, Hirem let Rosela take one of his hands into her own, looking at her with consternation in his eyes. ”Please, don’t do that. Don’t go there. He hasn’t. He won’t,” She begged, and while Hirem wanted to believe her, wanted to trust this unknown Akalak, in his heart it was impossible. His mind flashed with memories of the Rat Hole, of the Gillia, of the horror these disciplined men could inflict if they were of a mind. There are two faces to every Akalak, one bright and exemplary, the other dark and primal. And while some may never get to see both faces, I will never forget the rage I have witnessed with them. In away, Hirem could understand the psyche of the Akalak, for he too knew what it was like to wear two faces. The face that he preferred, that he tried to don at all times, was that of the man that he wished to become, the man that practised honesty, charity, and virtue. But inside, there was a beast that dwelled within him, that feasted on anger and bloodshed. He hated that part of himself, and so he hated the man that had preyed upon Rosela.

”It’s not…good…but it could be so much worse. He’s so sorry for what he did. Some women, they don’t get ones that care. It could be so much worse.” The Benshira was not comforted by her words, but Hirem made a show of nodding his head and looking contemplative. What kind of excuse is that? Just because it's not the worst situation you can be in, doesn't mean that it is alright! Though he had known little of her before this meeting, he was fairly sure that the Rosela of old would have never tolerated the excuses coming from her own mouth. She has truly been damaged by this man, he thought sadly, resisting the urge to flex his knuckles. How dearly he wanted to strike out at the brute that had conquered her spirit! But his friend made it perfectly clear that any further talk on that subject would just give her more distress, and the last thing that Hirem wanted to do was put more pressure onto her. So he kept quiet, and bowed his head in submission.

”Walk me home?” Rosela suggested, and Hirem was quick to seize upon the opportunity to change the focus of their conversation. "Of course," he murmured, pushing himself out of his seat and leaving payment for their food and tea on the table. As Rosela got to her feet he would offer her his arm for support, thinking that she could use the help in her condition... whether or not she accepted, Hirem made sure to walk closely beside the woman as they ventured from the tavern and into the windy street outside. The escalation of the outdoor chill made conversation an unattractive option, so the Benshira tucked one arm across his chest for warmth and pressed close to Rosela so that she would benefit from the same. Since he had no idea where they were heading, he relied upon her for directions, otherwise falling silent and admiring the dark sky above. The burden of the evening's events weighed heavily on his mind, but throughout their walk he ended up adopting a pensive smile, gladdened that fate had ended up depositing the two Eyktolians together. No matter what else, it was... it was good to confide my past in another, he thought, pursing his lips. And to know that I am not hated by the one that deserves to hate me the most.

While he was quiet for much of their walk, Hirem could not resist gasping as they came to a stop in front of possibly the most lavish abode he had seen since leaving Ahnatep all those years ago. "This is your home?" he asked, stunned by its size and opulence. He had known that Rosela's business at the Red Diamond was quite successful, but he had never imagined that she had reached such an impressive height. Coughing when he realized the awkwardness of his behaviour, the Benshira turned to her and offered a smile. "Well, I must congratulate you on coming to own such a home... but I really should have suspected you'd have as much to your name. You are a Rivarian, there is no doubt about that, but I can see the mark of the desert's crown when it is apparent." Offering her a teasing wink, he folded his arms and shuffled his feet to relieve some of the cold creeping into his limbs.

"I am... I am sorry," Hirem then murmured, glancing over to Rosela. "For what I said earlier in the tavern. You are not helpless, you don't need me to defend you. And if you say that this man can be trusted, then I believe you. You were brave to tell me that story, and I'm glad you did. No one should have to bear that secret all on their own." Reaching out, he wrapped one arm around the Eypharian's shoulders and gave her a gentle hug, withdrawing just a few moments later. "And thank you for listening when I needed an confidant. It was a difficult thing to forgive me... I'm very happy to have met a friend like you."

Nodding, the Benshira glanced towards the street, thinking that he should be leaving now, and found that his legs refused to move from their position. Sighing, Hirem bowed his head to her. "If you... uh, if you need anything, I am always willing to help." Figuring that he had said enough and it was really time to say goodbye, the Benshira prepared to offer her a farewell. Instead, an entirely different question formed on his lips. "Do you want me to...?" He gestured at her door before he realized what he was doing, his cheeks turning an especially bright red against the frigid air. His feet finally took their opportunity to move backwards, and Hirem shuffled away from the Eypharian. "I mean, uh..." Say goodnight, you idiot, say goodnight!

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Rosela on March 9th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Rosela hooked and arm in his to heave herself out of the chair, glad beyond words he seemed to have dropped the subject of attacking Likhren. In spite of his past mistakes, no matter how badly they’d hurt her, Likhren was a rock for her in the storm of what her life had become. The rock was hard, and it hurt her hands to cling to, but at least she wouldn’t be washed out to sea. Hirem could be another rock for her, maybe.

Swinging her cloak over her shoulders, they made their way out onto the street. Hirem’s arm was warm, and she relished it as he pulled her close. The walk was quiet, broken only by the rhythmic tapping of their footsteps and the occasional snippet of conversation from passersby. Between them, there was not much left to say, for the moment. She was glad he didn’t press for more information on her Talvis. Speaking on what had happened only brought pain and had sucked the life from what may have otherwise been a lovely night. In the back of her mind, she wanted to try again with him, an evening not brought low by ugly pasts and presents, but lifted up on warmth.

At home in the twilight, Rosela led Hirem with ease along the moonlit streets, the streetlamps becoming more frequent as they neared the more expensive district. She didn’t once consider that Hirem may be surprised at her home and immediately felt guilty that she might seem to be showing off. ”No, no, it was actually a gift, as strange as that sounds. I mean, I’m doing okay, but,” she stumbled over her words, two hands wringing under her cloak. ”Sorry, long story.”

She smiled softly as she parted her cloak to return his hug. ”It’s okay. I appreciate your concern, I really do. And thank you for confiding me. I’m glad I could give you some peace.” The air was chilly as she withdrew from him and she pulled her cloak around her once more.

With his parting words, he seemed to realize what he’d said the same moment she did and heat rushed to her face. She felt with intense embarrassment that the color on her fairer cheeks would be far easier to spot. ”I-I-That’s okay. I’m good. I’m okay.” Her eyes focused intently on the shrubbery next to her. ”That is, um, goodnight.” Cheeks still burning, she nodded once and danced as quickly as was polite up the stairs. Her hands trembled as she unlocked the door and slipped inside, one hand raising momentarily to wave a final goodbye.

Once safely inside, a girlish grin broke over her face and she giggled ridiculously into her hands. Two other hands worked at the tie of her cloak as she strode into the dark library. He’d called her a friend. And he'd offered to come in, as silly as it was.

”I made a friend today…” she whispered triumphantly to the shadows as she moved further into the dark house.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on March 26th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Hirem

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Grooming +1 EXP
Intimidation +2 EXP
Philosophy +5 EXP
Meditation +1 EXP
Rhetoric +5 EXP
Storytelling +5 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Intimidation: The Art of the Scowl
Philosophy: The Road Ahead
Philosophy: Fly Free
Philosophy: Offer Sins To The World
Rosela: Words On Her Mother
Rosela: Forgiven
Rosela: Thinks Me Not A Monster
Rosela: The Taste of Her Lips
Rosela: Mother To An Akalak
Rosela: A Friend

Rosela

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Persuasion +3 EXP
Investigation +2 EXP
Storytelling +3 EXP
Rhetoric +5 EXP
Philosophy +5 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Philosophy: Fly Free
Philosophy: Leaving The Past Behind
Philosophy: Offer Sins To the World
Hirem: His Mother Was A Midwife
Hirem: Forgiven
Hirem: A Man Who Has Sinned
Hirem: The Story of His Past
Hirem: Strong, Ultimately Good
Hirem: Desires Strongly To Build A Future
Hirem: A Friend

Notes :
This was a lovely thing to read. Please, if there's anything I missed do let me know!

If you have comments, questions or concerns please approach me at your earliest convenience. Don't forget to edit/delete your request in the request thread!
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous