Closed The Day My Life Begins Again (Zhol)

Turrin clears his mind with a friendly spar.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

The Day My Life Begins Again (Zhol)

Postby Turrin on May 23rd, 2015, 4:45 am

Turrin knew that Zhol was fighting a reimancer now, so he needed to learn everything that he could about them, so he could kill them in the future. Father, Mother, and Grandmother always told him that the strongest weapon in his arsenal was his brain, so he needed to use it gain a advantage over his enemies. Still in his stance, the endal watched Zhol's actions for anything out of the ordinary, so he try to figure out his next move. Turrin watched Zhol as he closed his eyes. The warrior knew closing his eyes in battle was suicide especially when he was facing a opponent or enemy even for a tick, so he figured there must be a reason for Zhol's strange behavior. The half-breed eyes flickered to his non sword hand and started to count until two small balls of fire appeared in his hands. This told the myrian warrior that Zhol's magic wasn't instantaneous, so he wouldn't be launching fireballs at will. The endal figured if he was more talented in his reimancy that he could summon his fireballs faster. If Turrin ever had to fight a reimancer, he might have to keep pressing his attack, so they wouldn't have time to summon their magic. However, if he or she was a expert or master reimancer, it might be better to take them down at a distance with his short bow. Maybe in the future, Turrin would discuss Zhol's arcane talent in more depth, but he doubt it if Zhol wanted to keep a advantage over a opponent.

Turrin watched the magical display, and the endal was starting to get impressed with his level of control the drykas had over his arcane talent. When Zhol launched his fireballs at Turrin's feet, the myrian stayed stone faced as the balls of fire exploded around him. Unlike himself the myrian knew that Zhol wasn't a killer, so he had a feeling the pyrotechnic display was just a distraction for his main attack. If it was Turrin using reimancy, he would have thrown the fireballs at the human and let the man dodge it. Feeling the heat of the drykas' magical attack at feet, the endal licked his lips and waited for his true attack. Turrin stepped forward with his right foot and swung his wooden sword to parry Zhol's sword as the wooden swords clashed the wooden blades were locked together in a bout of wills until Zhol pushed off into a ready stance. The endal knew it was time to press a attack, so stepped with his left foot and swung his off handed weapon at Zhol; however, the half-breed planned his swing, so he would let go of the off-handed sword and let it fly in the Zhol's direction.

Turrin knew that he didn't have magic any extraordinary abilities that set him apart from any other Inarta warrior, but he prided himself as a warrior of Myri, so his ferocity and adaptability will be his only trump card in any fight. Ceela, his Inarta mother, told him the measure of a warrior isn't the amount of people that he or she could kill that measures a warrior's skill in battle. The measure of a warrior's true ability was to survive the battle and live long enough to die peacefully in one's own bed. Even if his mother was mental disturbed when she was lucid she was a wise women at times. Now Turrin was wielding his talon sword with one hand, so the warriors confidence in his abilities grew as he pressed his attack after he threw his off-handed talon sword at Zhol. Taking advantage of the distraction, the endal quickly moved forward with his right leg, brought his sword up over his shoulders, and swung it in a arc at hip of the drykas. If Zhol couldn't parry or dodge in time, the myrian wasn't going to hold back, and the sword wouldn't stop till it hit the human's flesh.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Zhol on June 2nd, 2015, 2:11 am

Turrin didn't react to his little burst of pyrotechnics the way that Zhol had hoped he would. It had been a bluff, Zhol supposed, one that the Endal had called: perhaps a strangely misplaced approximation of trust that the horse boy wouldn't do anything to explicitly harm Turrin. Instead of buying himself a few precious moments of reprieve, Zhol barely had enough time for a breath before Turrin charged. Zhol prepared himself to exploit the same advantages he had before - his left hand versus Turrin's relative inexperience using two swords - when suddenly one of Turrin's weapons launched itself from the Endal's hand, and raced through the air towards Zhol.

Zhol's first instinct was to parry, a mad swipe of his own sword knocking Turrin's auxiliary weapon off course, and sending it clattering off to the side, out of reach and no longer a threat. For a brief moment, Zhol's mind allowed him to consider this turn of events to be to his benefit. After all, he only had one talon sword to contend with; surely that was better? All it took was the subtle shift in Turrin's stance and posture however, the subtle swell of confidence and comfort, to make it clear to Zhol that this was the opposite of better. The handicap that had allowed Zhol to hold his own had suddenly gone, and Zhol began to realise just how bad an idea agreeing to this match had been.

The Endal's next strike came instantly, taking advantage of the way Zhol had been thrown off balance by the errant, flying sword. A vicious strike swung towards him, and Zhol parried frantically. In his haste to put his sword between him and harm as swiftly as possible, his stance collapsed, the heel of his boot slipping beneath his misplaced weight. The parry did succeed in striking Turrin's sword before it struck him, but not with nearly enough force; all it succeeded in doing was deflecting the talon sword, not blocking it, adjusting it's swing so that it sliced towards his leg further down. Zhol had half a breath to brace himself before the sword struck; where his foot had slipped, his leg had twisted, and Turrin slashed into the back of Zhol's knee, striking hard across the tendons. His leg crumbled beneath him, and his already off-balance weight dragged him rapidly and unceremoniously towards the ground.

Zhol managed not to vocalise his pain, but couldn't stop a grimace from forming as he lay on the stone. "I suppose I deserved that," he muttered, to himself as much as anyone.
"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Dad Thoughts | Dinah Thoughts | Khara Thoughts
This template was made by Khara, the letter Q, and the numbers 87 and 13.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Turrin on June 18th, 2015, 2:49 am

When Turrin's sword connected with Zhol's flesh, the myrian knew that the spar was over as the drykas crumbled unceremonious to the ground. However, the human did manage to parry the blow a little bit, but it wasn't enough to deflect the full power of the swing from hitting the body. If it was a real sword, the feeble parry might have save the leg from being amputated from the rest of the body. Still in his fighting stance, Turrin jumped back out of the range of his fallen foe. When Zhol told him that he deserved the blow. Turrin sheathed his wooden talon sword in his belt, stuck out hand to the human, and said with a laugh, “If I knew you were going to shoot fireballs at me, I would have worn my armor! You are definitely full of surprises, human!” The myrian knew little of magic, but he knew from stories from his mother that Wind Reach was built on the backs of their reimancers. How else would they be able to build their mighty city in the belly of volcano without the help of magic?

When Zhol got to his feet, Turrin retrieved his other sword and examined the wood to see if there was any imperfections in the stained blade. As the muscles in his body started to relax, the myrian could feel the bruises and welts from the spar starting to pulsate in pain. He knew that he would need to soak in the public baths tonight. Sheathing the other wooden sword on the other side of his belt, Turrin looked Zhol and said with a smile, “You certainly fought well, Zhol. Myri must have smiled on you today because you definitely have a warrior's spirit within you. It will be interesting to see what happens to you when you finally have to kill a mortal in battle.”

Turrin knew from experience that it was easy to kill a monster or a beast like the mutant bear, but it was different to kill a mortal like a human, Dhani, or Zith in battle because regardless of how savage the mortal might be they still have the right to life as much as the person who killed them. People might think Myrians as mindless killers, but they do have a deep respect for both Dira and Kihala, and this respect for life and death allow them to conquer Falyndar for themselves. He wasn't sure what the Dhykas' beliefs about killing, but he hoped Zhol could work through it when the time comes. The endal gave the human a smirk and said with another chuckle, “I hope that we get the chance to spar again. However, I think it will be a awhile before I duel wield you again. I need a lot more practice before I decided to embarrass myself again...” oocIf you want to make this your last post, I will finish it and turn it in for a grade. :)

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Zhol on June 23rd, 2015, 5:07 pm

When you finally have to kill a mortal in battle.

Zhol fought to maintain his composure at that comment, allowing his body to indulge a wince of pain to hide any other errant expressions that might have tried to creep onto his face. There were already too many deaths on his conscience, in battle and otherwise, and the idea of looking forward to the prospect of adding to that seemed deeply wrong somehow. Then again, Turrin was a different breed of outsider - or half outsider, or whatever it was that made the Endal different - to Zhol; Turrin's ways were just as incomprehensible to him at times as the Inarta's were. It was one of the many things he simply needed to learn to accept; it was meant as a compliment, and he would treat it as such.

Zhol remained silent as Turrin suggested another spar; the notion itself sounded appealing enough, especially considering how helpful a variety of potential sparring partners would be in honing his sword skills. His body refused to let him entertain such a notion so quickly though, aching profusely to remind him of the beating he'd just taken. If he was to spar Turrin without the advantage of a handicap, it would likely be more so; he'd need to redouble his efforts with Archeron and others to stand a chance of holding his own in a full single-sword bout with Turrin.

As Turrin began to talk about his embarrassment at his performance though, Zhol couldn't manage to keep himself silent. "Failing to succeed immediately at something new is no cause for embarrassment. Ask anyone inside this mountain to try anything for the first time, and they will almost certainly fail. Better to admit your shortcomings and persevere than delude yourself and others by believing you are better than you are."

He hesitated for a moment, a tug of a mischievous smile forming at the corner of his lips. "That said, feel free to be embarrassed at the resounding defeat you'll suffer the next time we spar."

oocFeel free to go ahead and finish things off / submit for grading / etc!
"Pavi" | "Common" | "Nari" | "Symenos"
Dad Thoughts | Dinah Thoughts | Khara Thoughts
This template was made by Khara, the letter Q, and the numbers 87 and 13.
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Turrin on June 24th, 2015, 3:53 am

Turrin took Zhol's kind words to heart and the half-breed just gave him a smile. They were wise words for a man as young as Zhol, but they seemed to comfort into the seasoned warrior's heart. The myrian knew that he would be terrible at duel wielding till he had time to practice his new skill. A child doesn't learn how to walk in a day, so how could he learn something as foreign as duel wielding in a day. The endal cast aside his doubt and embarrassment and accepted that he would be terrible for now. Turrin smiled at Zhol and said with a nod, “You are wise beyond your years Zhol. Maybe in the future, I will consult you if I need advice.” Suddenly, the myrian noticed the devious smile appear around Zhol's mouth and the young man challenged jokingly. The endal smile started to spread wider at every passing word, and he said with a chuckle, “When I meet you again, I will have to dazzle you with my duel swordsmanship, but I promise my defeat won't be a easy one Zhol!”

Satisfied with his morning workout, Turrin figured that his Wing-leader Naime will want him to do flying drills today. The half-breed knew the woman was a taskmaster, and he will want to sleep for days after she was done with him. Suddenly, Turrin saw a large shadow being cast over them, so the endal looked up and saw Aponivi circling above them. The massive bird eventually landed about twenty feet away from the them. Suddenly, he head in his mind, Valcora told me that Naime wanted to do flying drills today, so tell the human goodbye and lets get going, Turrin.

Turrin looked over the giant bird and responded silently to him, Give me a moment, Aponivi. Turning to Zhol, Turrin said with a respectful nod, “Thank you for the spar, but duty calls me elsewhere. I promise you that I will spar you again, so keep practicing till we meet again...” Turrin grabbed his practice swords, walked over to his large saddle bags, and placed them inside with the rest of his weapons and outdoor gear. The endal place his right foot in the stirrup and swung his left foot over the saddle of the giant bird. When he was ready to fly, the giant raptor walked to the edge of the cliff, jumped off the side, and glided into the clear blue sky.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Verilian on July 3rd, 2015, 3:56 am

Thread Award

Turrin

• +1 Investigation
  • +1 Persuasion
  • +1 Running
  • +1 Acrobatics
  • +1 Endurance
  • +1 Body Building
  • +1 Unarmed Combat
  • +5 Dual Wielding
  • +3 Talon Sword
  • +2 Tactics

Lores: Lighting Candles in the Dark, The Fear of Confronting Drusilla, Tough Love from a Wind Eagle, The Location of Zhol's Apartment, Naked Zhol, Teaching Neran a Lesson, Lore of the Eight Drykas Clans, Zhol of the Ruby Clan, Striders are Godbred Horses, Left Hand Defense, Right Hand Offense, Fighting like a Myrian, Reimancy is not Instantaneous, Using a Talonsword as a Projectile

Zhol

• +1 Rhetoric
  • +2 Observation
  • +1 Unarmed Combat
  • +5 Broadsword
  • +1 Teaching
  • +3 Tactics
  • +2 Reimancy
  • +1 Meditation

Lores: Snuggling a Khara Scarf, An Inconvenient Visitor, The Weight Difference between a real and wooden Sword, Unarmed Combat: A Basic Throw, Turrin's Family was Excommunicated from their Clan, Turrin was an Outsider Too, Trusted with a Secret, Fighting Offhanded, Is it Possible not to Insult an Endal?, Using Reimancy as a Distraction, Suddenly Fighting an Expert Opponent

Notes:

Excellent thread you guys. I love a good sparring thread. Looking forward to the rematch. Good work, and keep writing! Oh, and if you feel I missed anything, feel free to PM me.

Also, please edit your post in the request thread to reflect that it has been graded.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous