Closed [Syliras & Mithryn Outpost] A Warhorse in Need pt2 (Arden)

Tanna seeks aid and advice from a herbalist in the Mithryn Outpost

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras & Mithryn Outpost] A Warhorse in Need pt2 (Arden)

Postby Tanna on April 19th, 2015, 7:10 am

63 SPRING 515 AV
Continued from here

Tanna was on a mission.

Alarm bells had gone off yesterday when she had noticed how one of her charges was not putting weight on one of its legs. After further investigation, it seemed to have been a niggling injury, one she felt had been on-going for some time, and the Drykas felt compelled to do something about it.

But what?

The horse was a Tiadan Warhorse and property of the Order and Syliras and she was no healer. Fearing the injury could spell an end to the mighty horse's career – and, worse, its life, Tanna had spent that evening racking her brain for options. She was only a novice handler; perhaps it would have been better to leave the horse's fate in Serena Windmount's capable hands but Tanna simply couldn't sit back and do nothing. Surely there was something she could think of, something she could find or do that could aid the creature.

She had barely slept, tossing about in a tangle of sheets on her bed as she poured over things she could do. Serena felt it was the joint – would keeping the big horse in the pasture, away from heavy work help? It could ease whatever strain the gelding is feeling, she thought as she laid on her back, staring up at the wood beams that broke up the patchwork of the room's stone ceiling, but rest, alone, won't fix the problem. With a heavy sigh, her brow furrowed as she stared harder at the ceiling, as if willing it to speak the answer she sought. The horse needs rest and...something else.

She looked back on her time with the Drykas and contemplated: The Opal clan was renowned for their healing and yet not ever Pavillion had access to their members. What did they do when they needed help and a regular healer was not an option? Plants.

Tanna's mother had been skilled in foraging and botany. Although Ysane only learned these things to go hand-in-hand with her cooking skill, it had proven useful in other instances, as well. Her mother had nursed her father after his injury, after all, and, although that had been under the guiding hand of a healer, she recalled her mother helping members of the Pavillion without that woman's help. Granted, her mother hadn't been a herbalist but she had learned the properties of certain plants, and she had successfully used this knowledge to treat minor illnesses, injuries and general complaints. Could a herbalist be the key to helping the warhorse?

She shot up in bed.

She knew a herbalist in Mithryn! Well, she didn't know her well and had only really met her in passing, but the fact remained that she knew there was a herbalist there. With luck and Syna's blessing, the woman would know something that could help in the horse's recovery.

She had sprung out of bed and hastily tossed on the clothes she had striped off just shy of a bell earlier and, after plaiting her hair into a lazy braid, headed out and made straight for the stables.

Tanna was grateful that it wasn't that late in the evening and that Serena had yet to retire to her own quarters, finding the woman in her office for a change. Explaining her reason for coming by so late, she went on to request a day's leave so she could ride south to meet with the herbalist and, hopefully, return with a form of remedy. Moved by the Drykas' desire to help, Serena complied, explaining that Tanna would not be paid for whatever time she missed. The blonde had no issue with that and, after thanking Serena ten times over, she ducked back out into the night to collect Coosa.

Her Strider seemed happy to stretch her legs and her hooves chewed up the distance between Syliras and the southern outpost with relative ease. The Kabrin Road was well maintained - even after the flooding and rains that occurred earlier in the season - and, although a little on the soft side, made riding all that easier for both horse and rider that Tanna had no qualms letting the horse run as she wanted, enjoying the feel of the wind in her hair. Due to this periodic running, Tanna arrive at the outpost with time to spare before Syna's light.

She made sure to tend to her Coosa's needs first, watering her at the stables and ensuring the horse was fed and brushed while she headed in the direction of the Fool's Errand. In her rush, she had forgotten to pack food for herself and she made quick work of the meal she ordered. Once that was through, she made her way to the Commons but not before endeavouring in her morning ritual and worship of Syna as her light rose from the horizon.

It took some asking around but Tanna eventually found the cottage belonging to the herbalist she sought and, without any hesitation, she gave the door a few hard raps. She hoped the woman was home.

Thankfully, she heard rustling on the other side of the door before the woman pulled it open. Tanna offered a smile before venturing, "
Morning. I apologise for the hour." Her words were genuine before she stated why she was there, "I am in need of your skill."

LEDGER :
PURCHASE COST
Feed & care -5cm
Breakfast -2sm
TOTAL -2sm 5cm

PaviGrass-signCommonTukantOthers
Last edited by Tanna on May 31st, 2015, 12:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Tanna
words & whims

Words: 114416
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2015, 12:25 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Arden Whitevine on April 19th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Arden yawned, it had been a tiring day. There was very few injured or sick, since it was only early spring, there was going to be few until maybe mid spring. The first person that she had help had a slight cold, nothing major. She gave the young man some powdered ginger, honey and lemon. The ginger will help push the cold through his system while the honey and lemon will soothe his sore throat and cough. The medicine cost the man about 10 sm, if he had been sick during the winter of course the cost would have been high due to the difficulty of actually getting the herbs and other ingredients. All in all, that's how the day went, just slight colds so she gave the same herbs and ingredients with the instructions of making a hot tea out of all three. About a tablespoon of each into a cup and pour hot water over top, letting it steep for about 5 mins. So today she had earned about 50 sm, most of which she used for room and board at the small cottage like hut she was being allowed to stay in. The evening breeze was welcome as it blew through a small window into the hut. Arden ran her hands through her hair, shaking out the tangles that had accumulated throughout the day. She layed in the bed that was provided and drifted to sleep.

The next day she awoke and gave a small laugh and smiled, she truly enjoyed her work. Just then a loud knocking sounded out through the hut. Arden's green eyes turned a dark purple as they snapped to look at the door. "Yes?" She asked walking towards the door. She took a deep breath and opened the door. There stood a young women, clearly tired and worn from her appearance. She also looked like she had came from Syliras. "Morning. I apologize for the hour. I am in need of your skills." Arden nodded and ushered the woman in. "I'm Arden, how can I assist you today?" She smiled at the girl, motioning for her to sit.
Last edited by Arden Whitevine on April 21st, 2015, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now a Certified Herbalist. Thread with me.
Arden Whitevine
Novice Herbalist

Words: 23191
Joined roleplay: January 3rd, 2015, 3:39 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tanna on April 20th, 2015, 3:09 am

Tana was visibly relieved as she was waved in, her hands moving in sign to show her gratitude as she stepped past the threshold and into the belly of the room.

Immediately, she felt more at ease. There was a fragrance to the innards of this cottage no doubt due to the many herbs and medicinal plants that had been cooked or dried within these walls. The scent was strong but not overpowering; it was soothing, really, and it had undoubtedly seeped deep into every inch of the space. Tanna tried to identify some of the smells yet found herself unable to so she simply breathed them in and enjoyed the calm ambiance of the room.

Her ease had found her words as she turned to address the other woman, “
Many thanks, Arden, for seeing me. My name is Tanna and I work in Syliras at the stables there.” She paused to keep herself from launching into the story that brought her here and, instead, kept to respectful pleasantries.

I had heard of you when I lived here seasons ago, that you were building your skill. I believe our paths crossed but we did not ever get to speak. It has been good to you, Mithryn, yes?” Her words were light despite the heaviness of her accent and she would have preferred a different wording but she had yet to master the Common tongue.

With that said, she glanced around the room before spotting a chair. She glanced back to Arden as she moved towards it, angling it in the woman's direction. Straightening, she motioned towards it, inviting the herbalist to sit before pulling another spare chair towards the one she had offered. Taking a seat, she looked up expectantly at the brunette. She noticed for the first time that her hair had a slight tint to it of an unnatural hue; she thought it might be purple but she wasn't sure and blamed the shadows that danced around the room, cast about by the flickering fire in the hearth.

Waiting for the woman to decline or take her offer, she eventually turned to address her. once more, hinting at her true reason for being here, “
I wonder, have you used skill on animals before?” Perhaps an odd request but it was why the Drykas had ridden all the way out here. If she had more knowledge of the city, she might have tried the apothecary there but, as it were, she was going off of what she knew.

Tanna
words & whims

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Arden Whitevine on April 21st, 2015, 11:07 pm

Arden closed the door behind her. "I have no experience with animals." She said following the lady to the table. "I've only worked on people, I've never had an veterinary training." Arden sat down across from the woman. She moved some herbs around the table, placing a few stray poppy seeds onto a cloth. She didn't want to lose these important ingredients, they help a lot with pain. Arden looked at Tanna. "I can take a look, but I can't promise that I will know what to do." Her eyes went back to the normal green shade, her hair flickered in the sun with flecks of blues, purples and greens like the aurora. She stifled a yawn, and continued to look at the young woman, waiting for her to lead the way.

Arden was only going to be in the outpost for the day before she heads back to syliras tomorrow. She missed her small, but cosy room. The hearth that would glow dimly, the breeze flowing under the door, the smell of fresh herbs, and other spices. It was comfort to her, it smelled of home. She loved that small room. Despite leaving her home Hold, she truly love the home that she has now. This was where she was meant to be. Syliras, the city within a castle stronghold, her home. The outpost was nice enough to visit and help out during the hard works. Help the sick and injured, making people better. Her eyes faded into a light pink, a calm comforting feeling washed over her.

Working on a horse should be too difficult to take care of. Same similar medical procedure. Assess the wound, create the proper past or ingredient mixture. She sighed and began to pack up the herbs into cloth bags, while organizing them. Arden sighed, this will be a new experience for her, and she truly didn't know whatelse she would do.
Arden Whitevine
Novice Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tanna on April 24th, 2015, 7:07 am

Tanna tried to keep the frown off her face as she heard Arden's reply and busied herself with a series of nods, understanding. Nevertheless, the Drykas was too much of an optimist to let this deter her efforts, especially since Arden was willing to try her best. In fact, she was certain the two of them would figure out something that could work.

Shifting forward to the edge of her chair, she leaned forward, gesticulating as she spoke in a bid to regain Arden's attention, “
Let me tell you about horse, first.” The blonde watched the other woman as she handled a few things on the table, eyes following her pale hands and studying the small round black nodule she tended to, like a shepherd tending its flock. “It is big. ” Her hands moved, arms spreading wide for emphasis, “A warhorse for the Order and gelding. So require large amount of medicine.” She paused to make sure Arden understood before she continued to recount the reason for her arrival.

I notice it has hard time on one hoof so I inspected hoof. The hoof not problem. The problem is likely joint – fetlock.” Aside from colours and questions, horse anatomy was one of the first things she had learned in Common. “The squire who has horse said the horse never hurt self in his care so it could be old” she searched for the word she wanted, hand moving to her head to rub her hand over her crown in frustration, as if the action might stimulate her brain yet it only caused tendrils to fall free from the loose, windblown braid, “long time injury from overuse? Horse is not old, no more than six, but a knight at stables knows horse and says it has done lot of work on the Kabrin Road and suspects same horse has driven wagons – likely full of supplies, weapons and armor. Heavy loads. Squire who rides horse is not big man so he would not cause issue for horse.” She mentally ran over what she had said, trying her best to cover everything she could think of.

Ticking off everything, she knew she had given the woman all the information she had and finally grew quiet. After a long pause, her eyes wandered the woman's face, searching, hoping, before she asked, desperately clutching at straws, “
Have you helped people with joint pains? Stiffness? I fear knights will say horse is lame so I am here asking you for help. Do you think medicine and rest will help it? Maybe something to add to its feed? Something to put on joint?” Tanna knew fetlock issues nearly always caused lameness.. and what good was a lame horse? She did not want to think about it.

Tanna
words & whims

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Arden Whitevine on June 30th, 2015, 10:51 pm

"Anything is possible at this point in time. Until I have a look, I can't really determine anything." Arden finished packing up some herbs before giving the women her attention again. "Sounds like a well worked horse." Joint could be inflamed, or maybe its a muscle.Something that could be easily fixed with rest and a few anti-inflammitory herbs.

"I would like to see this horse though. Seeing as you've come to me for help. " Arden wasn't even sure she could actually help this Drykas. "Have to hope that the horse isn't going to be lame." She ran her hand through her loose curls and waves. Huffing she deverted her eyes to the door. "Well, lets go see your horse then."

(Sorry 'bout short-ish post. Still busy, busy.)
Arden Whitevine
Novice Herbalist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Katelyn Marks on July 1st, 2015, 4:27 pm

Due Rewards

“After nourishment, shelter, and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.”
― Philip Pullman

Tanna
Skills
➢ Planning +1
➢ Riding +1
➢ Socialization +3
➢ Observation +1
➢ Investigation +2

Lores
➢ Location: The Kabrin Road
➢ Location: The Mithryn Outpost
➢ Arden: Beginner Herbalist

Comments: Sorry this one was cut short! Still, a pleasant thread. I gave you what I could!

Arden
Please update your character sheet with seasonal expenses for spring and I can reward you for this thread.

If you have any concerns or questions about your rewards please feel free to send me a message. Also, please edit your original grade request and mark it as graded. Thank you and enjoy!
Katelyn Marks
Gingersnap

Words: 226535
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2014, 10:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)