Closed A Thief in the Crowd (Otaia)

Otaia makes the mistake of preying upon an angry Myrian's pocket.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

A Thief in the Crowd (Otaia)

Postby Kaie on July 3rd, 2015, 5:39 am

Maybe she was just a skeptic. Maybe she was being too cautious. In any case, she wasn't overly confident in the thief. What if she snitches, alerts Tua of who and what you are? This is a gamble, Myrian. Even if she doesn't turn craven, what if she's caught?
Well, so what?
Gods, could her thoughts be frigidly cold. She couldn't deny the pragmatism though. It was a risk even returning to the forsaken city. Had she anything between her ears, she would've thanked Fate for his mercy and moved on back home. But, no, she had caught the epidemic of pride and righteousness and thus would return to ensure her revenge was executed. Good thing the only expense for her self-destructive decisions was her life, right?

Kaie stared out the alleyway in the direction of the Establishment of the Castle Commons. Between the side-conversations of those who passed, she could still very clearly make out the crier. "He's been a poor man and he's been a very rich man! Let him help you make the same transformation! Upgrade from your spot in the Tent City for your own apartment in the Sunset Quarter! Can't afford it? No problem! Let Goldfinger make it all your dreams possible with a simple loan!" It was hard for Kaie not to guffaw at that. She only had to work a job for the man once to know that no business with Goldfinger was "simple". However, her focus had returned to Otaia. It was question time after all.

"Against him?" Her brow furrowed at the question. It was surely one she should've anticipated. More often than not, people in Sunberth were quick to turn their heads when it came to beef. Now and then curiosity killed more than just the cat, though. "The less you know, the better. All I'll tell you is he knows something I need to know and I'm going to get it from him." Narrow shoulders shrugged. The look in the other woman's eyes prompted further inspection into her own plan. She's nervous. She could bail. Remind her what's in it for her. Odd how the very sort of people that proliferated Sunberth she disliked was the same sort she'd suddenly chosen to employ. "This is safer than trying to steal from strangers all day hoping one of them isn't going to gut you for it. Once you get inside the building I told you about, you're safe. Just continue out through the exit at the opposite side if you're worried, and wait for me to be done to pay you. I gave you my word I'd make this all worth your while. Unless you're backing out, I'll be making moves of my own. Either way, good luck, thief."

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Otaia on July 30th, 2015, 2:37 am

Otaia could hear the man yelling about someone named "Goldfinger." She'd heard the name before, but because she was relatively new to the city, Otaia wasn't entirely sure who he was. He seemed to be quite well-known in the city, either way.

Her question wasn't so much answered as it was dismissed, and this sparked even more curiosity as to the relations between these two people. But the way Kaie had replied also worries Otaia. She feared that the woman might hurt this man, and she didn't want someone's injury on her conscience.

But this fear wasn't enough to deter the Kelvic. She listened as the woman gave the last few instructions, before nodding her head and slipping into the crowd.

it was easy to find the man, considering how loud he was. Otaia hesitated for a moment, preparing herself for what, exactly, she was going to do. Once she had a basic plan in place, the girl continued to approach him from behind. Just as she did with the woman who was now her employer, Otaia slipped her hand in his pocket as she passed. She closed her fist around a handful of coins. As the kelvic pulled her hand out, she purposely yanked on the edge of the pocket. Otaia paused, trying to see if he'd react.

Sure enough, Tua whipped around to see the girl. He lunged at her, a grimace of anger adorning his face. Otaia darted out of his path, before running towards the alley that supposedly held the small shack. She glanced over her shoulder, running fast enough that the man wouldn't catch her, but also not too fast, so as to make sure she didn't lose him.

Otaia darted into the alley, the sound of a second pair of footsteps assuring her that the man was right behind her. A couple more paces, and she was in front of the building the woman had described. The kelvic didn't hesitate, barging into the shack, panting, and waiting for the man to follow.

OOcI have been EXTREMELY busy (or maybe just watching too much netflix?) I'm sorry for the atrocious wait.
ImageImage
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/3 Threads
Otaia
Guard Your Pockets.

Words: 15780
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2015, 10:06 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on August 4th, 2015, 3:44 am

Not a tick was wasted. As soon as her ambiguous response to the thief's prying was offered, she was wandering back through the alleyways and into the shadows she so fervidly preferred. The dim blackness slipped over her earthy-hued skin like an extra layer. Her cautious, relatively calculated steps avoided the trash in the street that would surely elicit more noise than intended. Each time the alleyway broke open to reveal the Establishment bathing in Syna's glory and well under Tua's spell, Kaie's head snapped in its direction in search of her confederate. Only once did she catch the familiar frame of the woman as she drew nearer toward her assigned target. The very visual had the Myrian's pupils dilating in a subtle gesture of adrenal action. Thoughts reeled through her strategizing head, clouding the sureness of her plan with doubt and deceit.

Perhaps it would be wise to ditch the warehouse and take him somewhere else along the thief's running route. Keep everyone but me in the dark. What if she tells him? What if she clues him in that he's being trapped? What if he doesn't come alone? her mind hammered at her rationality like an anvil. Teeth grit. Her head gave a stern shake. Stick to the plan. Adapt. That's all there is to it. Even returning to Sunberth had been a gamble. Everything now was all about risk and reward. With the grander scheme she had in mind? There would be plenty of risk indeed.

The savage continued her way quickly through the end of the windy alley until she found the very place she'd scoped out bells before. Calling the shack a modest abode would be a generous description. The windows were smashed, leaving sharp chunks of glass hanging in the frame like jagged teeth. Wooden siding slumped and fell loose every which way. Holes littered the roof. The only thing that was remotely assuring about the place was the musty, rotted door. If one tried hard enough (which an individual clearly had considering the hole that remained), a strong kick could wound its surface. When her bronze hand locked around the knob and gave it a firm twist, she couldn't help but grin. Of all things, the lock still worked just fine.

She backed up, eyes glancing up at the door's top frame to spy the faded flame painted there, before her body was in motion. Back straight, the Myrian sent her right heel forward to strike beside the door knob. Surprisingly, rather than going painfully through the barrier, the action succeeded just as it was intended. A snap signaled the breaking of the lock just before the door gave in. It swung inward with a deep moan and a woody crack, mice scuttling in a panic with the disruption to their peaceful lives. Kaie stepped inside and closed the door (now only half hinged) behind her. A sputtering cough erupted from her as dust settled in the wake of her entrance. Amber eyes blinked about, but thankfully no poor, homeless sod had moved in for the time being. Only the rotten furniture of the place remained in her company. Well, that and the assortment of pets that had settled down when the previous owners vanished.

Unless she lost her nerves or was caught, she'll be leading him here soon, Kaie reminded herself at once. She tore the gladius from its sheath on her hip and pressed her back to the wall beside the door. Once it swung open with the pair's anticipated arrival, it would be up to the savage to clock Tua cold. Then the real bloody fun would begin.

OOC:Totally understand! No worries. My own Netflix series is turning out to be killer so I can completely relate lol.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Otaia on August 4th, 2015, 3:36 pm

Otaia spotted Kaie the moment she entered the shack. "He should be right behind me," she remarked to the woman, before positioning herself to the right of the room, leaning against the wall. In the few seconds it took for the man to crash in, Otaia looked around the disheveled shack. Everything was in significant states of disrepair, and the kelvic was pretty sure she saw a rat. The furniture was rotting, and Otaia was sure that if she tried sitting on one of the chairs, it would go crashing down.

At this point, she realized how exhausting the run had been, and she panted as she stood there, trying to catch her breath.

A few moments after she darted in, the man came crashing in after her, now subject to the Myrian's wrath. It was only then that Otaia noticed the weapon in her employer's hand, and she inhaled sharply, a wave of fear of what was to come coursing through her. She didn't mind guiding him to the shack, but now that she knew what was about to happen, Otaia was filled with regret.

So far, she hadn't gotten into any violent trouble in Sunberth, and the girl didn't want this to change. She just hoped nobody would come after her after this. You're just being paranoid, she told herself. Just then a sound resounded through the small room as the woman brought her weapon down on the man.
ImageImage
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/3 Threads
Otaia
Guard Your Pockets.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on August 13th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Breathe. Remember to breathe, she coached herself from her readied position against the wall. For a brief moment eyes closed and her intake of air was practiced and slow. Foot steps, rampant like a mouse's escaping a cat, sounded just beyond the warehouse and in the street. Tick by tick, the sound grew louder. The thief. Eyes flashed open, pupils tight and a curl coming to her lips. The door was shoved open and in came Otaia with a quick warning, before she too moved from the Myrian's range. The savage gave a sharp nod. A new pair of foot steps came just behind, their owner hooking a turn that brought them inside the warehouse.

"Come here you...little...petching," Tua panted as he passed the door frame, brows falling in frustration as he realized the escaping woman had vanished from his sights. That's when the Myrian struck. Launching herself at her target, the pommel of her gladius came downward upon the man's head. Tua gave a howl and dropped to a knee. He seemed to waver in his position, searching for balance even as he turned to find his attacker. He was only met with a swift swing of the flat of a blade against his temple. He sunk faster out of consciousness on his way to the floor than a stone in Baroque Bay. The Myrian supposed he had gone down just as hard, too. Amber eyes glared down at the limp body crumpled before her. Then they swept to Otaia.

"I'll admit I had my doubts, but you came through. Well done," she praised the thief, gladius finding its way back to its sheath. The savage crouched beside Tua, bronze hands patting him down until they found purchase within one of his pockets. A good day of bribery, huh, Tua?The item was procured and tossed Otaia's way, Mizas jangling in the coin purse as it sailed toward her. "That should cover it, no?" Kaie rose and moved toward the door to right it back to its place. It was a shoddy attempt at best, but in a chime, she'd managed to shove a table across the entrance to hold the door in place. Working hands were slapped together a few times to rid themselves of dust before the thief was back in her sights.

"I'm a woman of my word. If you can navigate through all the shyke in this place toward the back wall over there..." An index finger was extended to the far side of the building to provide clearer direction. "...you'll find another door you can slip through, and go wherever it is you go. You needn't stay for what happens next." Mirth caused a twitch at the corners of her lips. An ambiguous, darker gleam entered her gaze. "Intuition tells me you don't have the stomach for it." She took Tua's legs in her arms and began to drag him toward a hallway swallowed in shadows. The way the body slid with ease along the filthy floor, one might've thought her victim was already dead.
"Regardless of your choice, do well to forget what you've seen and done this day. I've spent a season hunting men I didn't know where to find, and Sunberth would not miss a thief."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Otaia on September 15th, 2015, 1:17 pm

Otaia's fears were confirmed the moment Tua burst through the door. He said something, but Otaia was far too horrified to hear what he said. The instant after he barged in, Kaie struck. He crumpled to the ground, before the dark-skinned woman turned to Otaia.

The kelvic grew quite queasy, gagging. "Just-- pay me and I'll get out of here." Moments later, Kaie tossed her a pouch of mizas. Judging by its weight, it was quite a bit of money. Definitely much more than she'd earn on an average day stealing. Thank you, the kelvic blurted, rushing to get out of there."How much is in here?" It was the last thing she was going to ask before leaving, being that she'd begun to gag again.

Otaia didn't reply to the woman's last few statements, beginning to rush out the door. She was done here. The kelvic strode towards her home, exhaustion-- and fear, coursing through her. This was the girl's first real participation in Sunberth's violence, and she wasn't sure if she had the stomach for it. And the man-- Tua Scully. Was he okay? Otaia feared to imagine what the stranger was doing to him now.She let out a small shudder, quickly rushing home to lay down and tend to her nose.

OOCI'll let you have the last post. :)
ImageImage
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/3 Threads
Otaia
Guard Your Pockets.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook