Global Perk Point System - Suggestions/Comments

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gossamer on December 13th, 2015, 2:54 am

For those of you who are familiar with the old perk point system, I'm looking to reinstate it today or tomorrow on a global scale. A lot of characters utilized in Riverfall and other cities utilized this system and gained in-character perks for out of character development. These were mostly magic items, gold, and even one individual earned themselves a house doing work for the site.

I released the program to other staffers to install in their cities after a test period in Riverfall with the understanding that the point values would stay the same and there wouldn't be sort of 'Come develop for MY city because I PAY MORE POINTS PER DEVELOPMENT'. Guess what? That's exactly what happened after two short months of being released into the game. This was especially bad in certain cities where the mods doubled the point values from other cities just for developing for them.

Ugh. So it got yanked.

Anyhow, I want to put the system back in and manage it under just one or two people and track everyone game wide with a submission system and a points system.

So, that's you being up to date here.

What I want to know is while I'm working on it tonight etc... does anyone have any suggestions or requests? Are there things you'd like to see rewardable? Development that's included? Any suggestions or grumbles about the previous Perk Point System? I don't see the global one being much different than the original version in Riverfall, but definitely geared towards global development.

And... the only way to get 'rewarded' is to get your development completely finished and installed into the game. That way no unfinished dangling development is going to earn you points. You have to see it through.

So.... let me know what you think?
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Anthere on December 13th, 2015, 3:37 am

Personally, I haven't had much exposure to the perk point system. So this will be a little rant about thoughts and possibilities.

One thing I saw Neo point out in the Lhavit development thread is that "It encourages people to make random things that don't fit anywhere or make any sense for free items." Despite this, I feel like there could be a way for the system to work. I feel like there needs to be a better way to explain how the items were obtained. I feel like if there was a thread to describe and act out the PC obtaining the item, it could be more believable, and more realistic. At the same time, a lot of STs don't have the time to write out someone getting one little thing. Therefore, it could possibly be something for which we have established guest storytellers. Then again, I'm not sure if we have enough GSTs... There could always be a "Perk Points GST" sign up sheet. I would think they would have to be heavily regulated by the "one or two people."

I feel like not a lot of people would be willing to "develop for the sake of the location," but even I would be more motivated if I could get something out of it IC.

Another thing I'd like to see would be some sort of development thread or subform in all the active cities. I know Alvadas doesn't have one, and I'm sure other ones don't too.
Anthere
Player

Words: 22788
Joined roleplay: October 18th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on December 13th, 2015, 3:44 am

Neo probably doesn't realize she doesn't have to APPROVE random things that were created for Lhavit nor put them in. That's a DS's domain anyhow, not really an AS duty. That would be up to the ST of the area (or the WD forge folks) to accept or decline say a location.

Items that are 'prizes' aren't awarded to a pc and slapped into their inventory. Basically what happens is they are given permission to somehow acquire, through RP, the item (or say a house they purchased), in thread.

So that should eliminate two of your concerns. I never accepted everything in RF, just the things that made sense and needed to be developed. Plus I ran little development contests - name this image - type things for rewards as well.

I think its wholly STUPID for a staffer to feel they have to accept everything people throw at them. If we did that in the HD, Miz would be a mess and definitely not on theme. Unfortunately we have a lot of 'don't want to hurt their feelings' when people submit things like an expresso stand in a miz tech level society. I don't think, for example, coffee houses fit Miz's theme AT ALL and yet Mods still go 'omg cool' and let them get put in. That goes for other types of things too... tea houses, gourmet restaurants, etc. Any time we apply modern ideas to Miz it tends to kill something inside me. I mean for Gods Sake someone put in a Sushi Hut in one of the domains. Yea. Not kidding.

So in order for them to be rewarded, they have to get their stuff accepted by their local storytellers and put in. If that storyteller puts something in that doesn't make sense, shame on them. But it is what it is and I can't control that or people trying to be nice or popular or whatever their motivations are.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ball on December 13th, 2015, 3:58 am

Hmm I like the idea, they always seem to boost development and such, but as you Gossamer said, they didn't work well in regards to keeping fairness (between cities as it seems) or with canon (adding things that aren't necessarily part of the theme or realm), now don't get me wrong. I think this will work great though if there was a level of rules and maybe some idea of how it would extend to the cities themselves, or ICly.

I mean I wouldn't expect like "Gnosis Quest" or something by maybe something a bit more. I agree with there needs to be an incentive, and points systems do it, but how would you go about governing this?

Rewards aside, I am more curious as to how the overall idea would be governed, who is allowed to award points? Who is going to keep track?
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Azmere on December 13th, 2015, 4:01 am

Everything seems to be really well thought out from this guy's viewpoint. Anthere and Ball mentioned some very valid concerns but it seems Goss has them covered.

I really like the GST idea as well. Nivel has already begun a GST test group (for lack of a better phrase). I have found Miz to be full of experienced RPers who simply lack the time to be a fulltime ST but enjoy doing a thread or two on occasion. I think with the proper advertising and a user-friendly interface the system will do well. Who doesn't want more loot, right?

It's you and me against the world.
Attn: GradersObservation is maxed. Thank you for all your hard work.

where do you go when you don't know who you are?
Azmere
Seeker of the Lost

Words: 754081
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 13th, 2015, 4:06 am

As of right now, in lue of no Scribes, I'd be administering it. If the pace of development doesn't change, then that means ZERO extra work for me and I can keep it fair and even, awarding the same points globally and eliminating the 'my domain offers more points than your domain' bs that happened before.

I would not have a say in ST's accepting or rejecting development for domains... unless its another sushi hut idea then I might mention how inappropriate it was. WD would involve articles completed and placed into the Wiki which is easy to track.

I'd update once a week unless I got one responsible volunteer who wants to cover it or we got Scribes in place.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ball on December 13th, 2015, 4:09 am

That works for me. Sorry I should've assumed you would be running it for the time being, but yeah totally fair though, hopefully you find someone suitable for Scribes?
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Sayana on December 13th, 2015, 4:59 am

I was wondering if the would be any incentives for graders and peer reviewers. It would be unfortunate if we had all these wonderful articles with no one willing or interested in reviewing them. It would also be unfortunate if all (or most) of our graders stopped grading entirely to focus on WD articles instead. Perhaps a smaller form of reward for these sorts of tasks? I think that writing an article and seeing it through is much more challenging and should still be the focus of this reward system.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 13th, 2015, 6:23 am

We had perk points in place and up and running during the grading program. It didn't influence the graders. I think WD article writers are in charge of gaining reviewers for their works. They simply need to ask their friends. There are some perks for lore editors and proof readers already.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Nivel on December 13th, 2015, 7:10 am

I don't think I would stop grading to make lore articles and I don't think the other active graders would ether, Grading is just too important. We could always add prizes to our grading parties although bragging rights are probably good enough.

I feel like most of the time you just need to do a thing that reminds people to do a thing. If rewards remind people to create lore than they probably will. I actually have a few ideas for development that I have just been too lazy/buzy to finish.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)