[Sayana] Notes, Organization, and the Lost and Found

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Sayana on January 29th, 2015, 2:52 pm

More on Delegation and What is Needed to Run a City

So I mentioned delegation a couple posts ago but this was on a global scale. Realistically, it's hard to change things on a global scale. Even though it's just within the realm of Mizahar there can still be resistance to change (particularly when things have worked alright in the past).

So I will set that aside and instead look at delegation on a local or city level (namely Syliras since that's where I roleplay). First off, this is a big and popular city with many new members starting here and many members becoming inactive here. It's a tumble of waves tossing and turning and flowing in and out. I highly admire the STs who have tackled running this city and anything I write below is not to undermine their work but to explore possibilities of a city that is more streamlined with a smaller burden to the ST.

Types of tasks that may (or may not) be delegated to PCs:
- Direction (predominantly the ST)
Each city needs a sense of direction in terms of long term goals and where future development should be focused. This will be chiefly up to the ST but PCs might have the option to brainstorm long term ideas and plans. This also includes the priority of certain projects.

- Welcoming new PCs (ST and PCs)
-- Greeting and answering questions of new PCs
This is where people make new PCs feel at home and welcomed. Also, new members often have a lot of questions or they need to be guided in a kind way when they aren't following the standard procedures. It is important that people who do this are kind, patient, and excited about welcoming new members.
-- Threading with new PCs
People primarily come here to roleplay, not do solo threads. If everyone is too busy to thread with the new members then it can be quite discouraging unless they thread with each other. Therefore it is important that there are some people who are very active and enjoy threading with new members. These people may have to accept that sometimes new members don't stick around but it's great if you want to meet new people and have lots of threads.

- Development (ST and PCs)
This can be in the form of NPCs, locations, city concepts, city factions, etc. If the ST provides direction as to which areas are important and need to be developed, then the efforts of the PCs could be far more effective in assisting the ST.
- Development of OOC material (guides etc)

- Seasonal Story Prompts
-- Seasonal Calendar (ST with or without PC input/ideas)
The Calendar is a great medium for story prompts and could easily have input from PCs. One person should be in charge in coordinating it and preparing the finished product. This could either be the ST (getting ideas from PCs and using their own ideas) or it could be a PC (getting ideas from the ST and other PCs and giving it to the ST to check and then post). In this position both coordination skills are valued and creativity skills for interesting events.
-- Seasonal Challenges
Similar to the above, seasonal challenges could be prepared by either the ST with input from PCs, or a PC with input from the ST and other PCs.

- Storytelling / Moderating threads (ST or PCs)
For higher risk quests, this should be done by the ST or an experienced guest moderator (PC). For low risk threads this can be done by PCs and might be a great way to train PCs into becoming STs in future. This position requires dedication to the thread, creativity, and a desire to challenge characters.

- Bookkeeping
-- Grade requests + Shield Points
Update the shield points and delete completed requests in the grade request thread. Also, do a quick double check that the grade seems reasonable.
-- Job requests and wage requests
Tackle the job requests and assign relevant locations (and jobs) to the characters requesting. Also, inform the PC if they don't have the appropriate skills for a job or if they should choose a different job.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Sayana on February 1st, 2015, 1:43 am

NU YEER PARTEE!
92 - Winter

Cum to mi howse in Mayden DisBloc

Lots ov food
Lots ov music
Dont get lost!
All frends can cum

~ Luv Sayana

Hav music or food or dance? Will pay
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on June 24th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Some thoughts and musings on STs and what makes a good moderated/GST'd thread.

It feels like we're at an all time low when it comes to staff. After doing a lot of reading and looking into old staff accounts it seems like staff last for either a really short time, but more commonly half a year to a year. Some staff last longer but it is curious how the turnover happens quite quickly. The most common cause for leaving seems to be getting busy in real life or feeling bad for simply not being as active as they should. Occasionally there are staff who are a negative influence or are simply tired of being staff.

I also looked into quests/moderated threads/GST'd threads. I now better understand why Gossamer stresses the importance of moderated threads. For something really important like a Syliran Knighting quest, it has to be ST moderated, and one of them took about two years to complete with like 3-4 different STs. Other quests are set up with so much potential and yet they fall flat or stall out. Gnosis quests would also be really important to the player and even though I haven't read many, it could be just as disappointing for it to be drawn out over the span of years.

With so much development already in cities, existing development, I better understand why it's not so important to develop as STs. Of course, I still think it's important to keep up with regular maintenance (job wages, seasonal calendars, clearing out old grade request posts) but I understand why moderated threads can be so important.

Now to look at what makes or breaks a moderated thread. Clearly the moderator needs to be active. Also, action has to happen as early as possible. People get bored if it's all introduction and it's sad to hear of a GST'd thread that is 3 pages in and it is "just about to start". Action should start at least once the first round of posts is completed.

Number of people and waiting time also affect the quality of the quest. Too many people can increase the wait time substantially unless each individual is highly active or there is a time limit set for how quickly one must post. Remember, the moderator essentially adds an extra person to the wait time. Three PCs is probably ideal but more could be accommodated if they are especially active.

Abandonment. When a PC becomes inactive or has too long of a wait time for their post, there should be some OOC implemented rule to keep the thread going. Too often one character becomes inactive and it affects the progress of the whole thread. Usually the moderator is the one who becomes inactive but these musings are mostly from the perspective of a potential GST.

Danger. Characters won't feel that there is true danger unless things are set up for them to actually feel the effects. Ideally, a quest should start at the beginning of a season (ooc) and take place at the end of the season (ic) so that the thread can be completed within the span of the season (ooc) and so damage, wounds, mental injuries can all be felt afterwards once the quest is complete. When characters write threads taking place after the quest IC at the same time or before the quest happens OOC, then they cannot accommodate any of the dangers and injuries caused by the quest. It's also not fair to expect them to hold off on threads just because the quest has been progressing too slow.

If I have more thoughts I'll discuss them later.

Edit: It's also important to have a plan or at least a purpose for the thread. Don't be afraid to talk to PCs involved beforehand to see what they are looking for and also what they don't want (eg death, maiming, other less obvious things).

Have some sort of backup plan in case the PCs aren't actively contributing much to the story and are just along for the ride. It might be trickier to roleplay in these situations, but be prepared should it happen.

Don't do too many at once. It's better to wrap up threads and start new ones instead of having a lot of really slow ones.

These last edits were suggestions/advice from Phymriszoszem.

Edit: Caelum's Storytelling Plotting Guide

This is a great resource for constructing well-crafted plots for different types of moderated threads.
Last edited by Sayana on July 4th, 2015, 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on June 25th, 2015, 2:34 pm

Due to the cry for help, some people have been asking how they can help. Here is a list of things that I've attempted to prioritize based off of what I've learned and read during my time here.

- Grading
This is probably the most effective thing one can do since it's relatively easy to achieve and it's highly useful. You can also grade at your leisure. The two main requirements are to be 18+ and to have been active on your account for 60+ days. And then you just take the grading test.
Grading Guide
Grader Application

- GSTing
Either offer up a generic quest or ask around for someone who wants a specific plot done pertaining to their character. You'll need an outline, potential awards, and potential obstacles. This is especially useful if someone is trying to work a challenging plot arc that needs someone unbiased and who will truly challenge their PC.
GST Application

- Peer reviewing
This can be done by anyone. Just take the time to read and critically look at an article written in the lore development.
Peer Review Forum

- World development
Consider writing a lore article for a skill or something else (I believe skills are preferred). Do make sure you're committed to the article you want to write.
World Development Process

- City development
Usually cities have a place for developing locations and NPCs. Either write something you think the city is missing or ask if the ST is looking for particular things to be developed and written.

- Help new members
Answer questions, reply to the introductions forum, ask to thread with them. Probably the best thing is to simply approach a new member and start up a thread with them. Careful when trying to answer questions you're not sure of the answer to. If you get it wrong then someone else like a ST will have to correct them sooner or later.

- Write engaging stories
Plot deeply with lots of different people. Tie in different aspects of Mizahar, make your simple training thread a true quest or adventure. And if you have an idea that seems like it's bordering on ST territory, then send them a quick outline in a PM and double check with them. It's these engaging plots that rival or exceed the stories that STs write and make it a pleasure for the ST to moderate in that city.

- Apply to become an AS
Of course, this is the most obvious but I wanted to point out other areas first so people could get a better understanding just how much they can contribute without being staff.
Storyteller Application
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on January 17th, 2016, 9:46 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If there's anything I may have missed, please PM me and I'll be happy to look into it.

Characters Name
Skills
  • XP
Lores
  • Lore:
Miscellaneous
  • Mizas (+/-) | Amount
  • Item Purchased (+/-) | Amount
  • Item Sold (+/-) | Amount

Another Character
Skills
  • XP
Lores
  • Lore:
Miscellaneous
  • Mizas (+/-) | Amount

Comments:
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on February 6th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If there's anything I may have missed, please PM me and I'll be happy to look into it.

Characters Name
Skills
  • XP
Lores
  • Lore:
Miscellaneous
  • Mizas (+/-) | Amount

Another Character
Skills
  • XP
Lores
  • Lore:
Miscellaneous
  • Mizas (+/-) | Amount

Comments:
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on July 23rd, 2016, 7:28 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpaqui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpaqui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpaqui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpaqui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Net on July 23rd, 2016, 7:30 pm

I love it Thank you
I will be handling all Zeltiva related posts on Tuesdays @ 1800 my time *
Net
Ensnaring

Words: 46023
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2016, 4:39 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Sayana on July 24th, 2016, 9:58 pm

Writing Excuses

Now, before anyone starts pointing fingers, this is actually a post about my favourite writing tip website: http://www.writingexcuses.com

Even before coming to Mizahar, I've enjoyed listening to the podcasts on this website. Writing Excuses is a series of podcasts that focus on tips for writers, primarily of the Fantasy and Sci-fi genres. It is hosted by: Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal, Howard Tayler, and Dan Wells. I've only ever read content from Brandon Sanderson (the Mistborn series), but I find they each have great takes on the content they discuss.

Alright, boring intro stuff aside, it's a delightful place to get ideas, inspiration, and tips on writing in general. A lot of it focuses on Fantasy and many things can be applied to roleplaying too. It's sort of been a little safe haven for me to think about writing and see where I can gain inspiration or improve the quality of my existing writing.

My first hurdle on Miz was writing sufficient quantity. My next, was writing the classic 5-post solo. But now I'm trying to think more about the quality of my writing and keeping up the emotions and excitement. I'd like to slowly transition into doing more GST threads, but after doing my first, I suddenly got that much more conscious of the quality of my posts. It was no longer just a shared story. It was me writing for the benefit and the enhancement of someone else's story.

So I just wanted to share this little gem (or for me it's a gem). Try not to binge watch and actually turn it into a real true 'Writing Excuse'. I'd rather not have fellow roleplayers disappearing on me. ;) But each podcast is 15-20 min long and can contain some really great info.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on August 1st, 2016, 6:50 pm

Something cool to say here that may or may not be ominous.

Characters Name
Skills
  • XP
Lores
  • Lore:
Miscellaneous
  • Item
  • Item
  • Item

Another Character
Skills
  • XP
Lores
  • Lore:
Miscellaneous
  • Item
  • Item
  • Item

Comments:
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext