Closed [Eastern Quarter] Fly Service

Imass hires Faradae to deliver letters to Syliras

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

[Eastern Quarter] Fly Service

Postby Imass on December 23rd, 2015, 4:41 pm

Imass' eyes widened in surprise when she mentioned she was a Kelvic. Secretly he was hoping that she was part of a caravan, for he wished to get back to Syliras as soon as possible. The reality was that there was no way that was going to happen in the cold, winter season though.

"Oh righteous day!" The blue man cheered, "A kelvic? I have not encountered a kelvic personally in all my journeys, not openly at least, a winged kelvic at that, how incredible lady-Faradae!" Now that she mentioned it, Imass could see the bird in her. The way her hair flowed looked like feathers and her eyes were very dark. Even in this new light, the Akalak decided that she was still beautiful, particularly in this macabre weather.

"I knew it!" The blue man seemed to be getting overly excited now, "I knew that if I had faith, the path to illuminate the darkness would present itself! That is how it always works! Praise Yahal!" The knight's face was beaming in joy, but suddenly almost instantly his face turned to despair and concern, "Have you been to Syliras before? Do you know the way? What about winter? Can you handle the winter? And predator beasts? How much do you charge for your service?"
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 23rd, 2015, 5:17 pm

Faradae
Imass‘ sudden amazement at the revelation of her nature slightly embarrassed Faradae. She had expected simple acknowledgement of the fact, maybe a bit of realization – the variations in her appearance weren’t very obvious and usually recognizable only when knowing their origin – but certainly not a reaction equalling the excitement of a child – or a researcher who stumbled upon an unknown race. She did not feel very comfortable at the moment, but Imass’ face, still friendly and benevolent, relaxed her. He did not see her an animal, he simply was truly astonished. So instead of acting flustered, she she wanted to take a careful step forward.

She tried to make an enquiry: ‘Now that you know what I am, allow me to ask about your nature – humans are not usually blue, so what exactly are you?’

Yet what followed took her aback. She did not get a chance to ask her question, the man who kept calling her a lady was already a step further in his train of thoughts. At first, he produced an overjoyed exclamation to some god she did not know. That alone seemed a bit over the top, but Fara could understand how the opportunity to both meet a sort of person he had not met before and getting his letters shipped would lift his spirits. Yet he performed another one of his instant changes of mood, something, Faradae decided, that was probably part of his character.

The questions were fired at her faster than burning arrows. She listened quietly, smiled a little and proceeded to reply.

“Do me a favour and don’t worry about my wellbeing. Despite the impression I am likely giving you – that of a naïve little girl – I am quite able to survive.” Or so she hoped. “I will memorize the road before I go, and I will reach my destination, with your letters or without them. As a matter of fact, I am not planning to spend the remainder of the winter in Nyka.” That last point was her primary drive, but she was almost desperate for the letters by now. It felt like being rejected the trust of a safe delivery would question her pride.

It was the last question that gave her the greatest trouble. She did not know what was usually charged for deliveries, but could hardly ask without revealing her lack of knowledge. “If the Bureau threw you out because you can’t pay, I suggest that we discuss payment when I return.” That would give her the chance to figure out a sufficient price and and him to gather some money. “However, it will be less than the Bureau charged.”
Last edited by Faradae on July 9th, 2017, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Words: 140559
Joined roleplay: December 20th, 2015, 12:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Imass on December 26th, 2015, 10:46 pm

Imass listened to lady Faradae's words, liking the fact that she had confidence in herself. He could hear it in her voice that she was totally committed to doing an excellent job. With no other choices anyways, the knight decided to roll with it.

"Walk with me lady Faradae," The knight said to her calmly. Walking side by side with her towards the docks, Imass wanted to make sure everything was explained in detail, "I will take you up on that offer and it is of utmost importance that you leave immediately. Let me tell you a little bit about these letters. I am a Knight of the Syliran Order. That begs the question of why I am in Nyka,"

The smell of the salty sea was very strong now as they reached the beginning of the docks, "Three years ago I was taken captive by an evil force of undead creatures known as the Nuits. They held me deep in their dungeons for years and only recently I was able to escape," A flash of those painful times swept his face, but he did not recount unnecessary details, "I washed up on the shores of Nyka and have just recovered from my wounds today. My comrades most likely believe that I am dead and will not sent me any help. These letters are for my friends and family. It is imperative that they receive these enlightening words as soon as possible,"

Upon reaching the hustle and bustle of the docks, Imass stopped his narrative, "We must seek a ship to view it's maps," After talking to a few sailors, the Akalak found himself on the deck of a cargo ship talking to a grizzled human. After explaining the situation that occurred at the Delivery Bureau, the sailor allowed him to look at their map. The captain's quarters smelled of salt, beef, and rum. There was a large cot and barrels and chests piled everywhere. The scene brought back memories of the Seige on Sahova, but Imass pushed those memories away.

There was a single lantern hanging over a large oaken table. A map of Syliras Continent sprawled in front of them. Imass was no navigator, but after a minute of staring he found Nyka and Syliras clearly marked. He pointed at the part marked Nyka, "We are here,"then pointed at Syliras, "and you need to go here... what do you make of this map?"

oocImass has no skill in navigation, so Faradae will have to do the talking and description of the map/journey
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 27th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Faradae
Happiness paired with energy and the will to take things in hand passed through Faradae from head to toe. This was her first mission, and she wanted to complete it with perfection. On top of that, she would get out of this city sooner than anticipated.
The young Kelvic had no objections to walking. In fact, she was happy to get moving. The cold of winter had found its way into her coat, slowly and stealthily. She shrugged it off and matched her step to that of her companion, all the while listening to his tale. Not only was she eager to learn the details of her first job, but she was also interested in the story itself. Imass had seen many things in his life, some of which impressed her, some of which she hoped to never entangle herself in. She did not comment on what he said about his recent past. She had no comparable experiences and anything she could have said would have sounded misplaced, like a little girl talking about politics. Instead, she simply nodded and said:
“I will make sure these letters will safely reach your relatives and friends.”

Upon reaching the docks, Imass led her towards a freighter, one of only few that lay at anchor in the Nyka during winter. It was huge, compared to the small fisher boats surrounding it, all but wooden nutshells. The ship was two-masted and she marvelled at the sails, rolled up neatly while they weren’t in use. She had never been on a ship before, but as much as she wanted to explore its every niche, finding a map was more important at the moment, so she stood next to Imass and the captain and let her eyes wander over the waxed planks, nets and ropes.

Imass snapped her back to reality after acquiring permission to enter the sailor’s private cabin. It wasn’t a very tidy place. Some of the inornate chests clustering the room had been left open, hastily filled with wrinkled crinkled clothes and various belongings. A few planks creaked underneath their feet as they approached the massive table on the far wall. She recognized the parchment spread out before them as a map of Sylira and tried to recollect her memory on how to properly read a map.

Imass pointed at one point on the map, then at another. “We are here…. And you need to go here... What do you make of this map?”

“Syliras lies southwest of Nyka,” she said, beginning with the obvious, “so I’ll have to travel inland, away from the sea. I don’t see any roads here, but since it’s a sailor’s map, they probably only delineated those which are trade relevant. In any case, I’ll stay clear of roads if I see any. They’re not usually the most direct route, and following them will cost me time. I’ll use the sun and vegetation for orientation instead.” Hopefully that would work, but since there were no roads on the map, even finding one in the wild would hardly help her – she would hardly know where it was leading.

She searched the bottom of the map for a key to measure distances, and found it. Using her hand, she measured a bit less than her index finger air line between the two cities and compared it to the key. One key segment equalled 200 miles, while her finger was about four segments long.
“Less than 800 miles,” she told Imass, calculating quickly. “Considering the icy weather, I should be able to cover that in ten days. But – hold on.” She had spotted something else on the map, a possible problem. “There are mountains here, right around Syliras.” She leaned a little closer, trying to decipher what was written there. “It reads ‘Kobalt Mountains’. If I stray the slightest bit too far west, I might have to use a pass to cross them, prolonging my journey. Do you know anything about those mountains?”
Last edited by Faradae on July 9th, 2017, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Imass on December 28th, 2015, 3:29 am

Imass paid close attention to lady Faradae's words, "There is no official trade road cut between the two cities, as I would have known of it. Those whom travel between the two cities must know the animal paths or some other ways," Imass knew of using the sun as direction during the day time, but his mind wandered about night time navigation.

The knight took careful note of how she used her thumb to measure the distance between Nyka and Sylira. He didn't know about the legend on maps yet so this was new knowledge to him. When she asked of the Kobalt Mountains, it sparked a memory in his mind,"I have just remembered an old saying they used to make us repeat..."

Closing his eyes, Imass sung to her a limerick that he was taught as a squire,

"Where, the rolling hills of the Kobalt mountains, meet the old Kabrin Road, golden rays and hope surround thee, star to guide our way in the cloudy night, Sylir today we hail thee, for in thy memory we shall be..."

Imass opened his dull, yellow eyes to look upon Faradae. He then slammed a large finger on the trade route between Zeltiva and Syliras, "If you venture too far south, you shall encounter the trade route between Syliras and Zeltiva. It is huge and paved, it is marked with beacons every furlong or so. That road leads directly to Syliras... There is a bright star that can be seen even when the lesser stars are hidden, it will lead you to Syliras as well... I also implore you to pray to Sylir. Tell him that you need his guidance and he shall give it to you through inspiration. I have invoked his name before and he has granted me guidance, believe me when I tell you, for the words you carry are of one of his marked and they are words of peace,"

Imass looked at the Kobalt Mountains now on the map, moving his finger over them and addressed her question, "I know not the paths of the mountains, but they are treacherous, I would avoid them entirely if possible,"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 28th, 2015, 4:49 pm

Faradae
When Imass sang, his voice rang raw and true. There was faith in it, and the sound of distant memory, hidden between the verses. His eyes were closed.
Faradae’s, however, were not. Her gaze followed the Kabrin road on the map from Syliras to the Talderan border and back. Once she reached the rolling hills around Syliras, she would go west and find the trading route, a safe way to avoid the mountains.

The blue man seemed to share her thoughts. Faradae made a mental note about the bright star. Winter skies were usually clear, so she was hopeful she’d be able to find it, despite her lack of astronomical knowledge, at least if it really did burn brighter than all the other stars.

She was not too confident about the praying part, though. Of course she prayed to some gods, namely those that directly concerned her – Makutsi and Bala during autumn, Cayha and, for obvious reasons, Eywaat. She was no very faithful follower, however, her prayers were said mostly out of habit rather than the genuine belief that they reached a divine’s ear. She had heard of the gods’ power, and of course she believed in them, but she found it hard to believe that her small prayer would convince them to help her along – if they did, why were there bad harvests? If they were so thoughtful of their creatures, why did they cause the Valterrian?

And there was something else:
Wasn’t Sylir slain? How can he guide people? This made no sense to her. She could imagine that the simple idea of a god’s blessing would elicit hope in people’s hearts, but dead was dead. Maybe there was something she didn’t know, maybe those prayers could actually help her.

She took a last look at the map, memorizing the distance between the two cities. She would head south-west over the marshes for four days, away from the sea, then correct her course westwards until she found the trade route, which she would follow until she reached her destination. She would worry about clothing when she got there, as well as food and shelter. All she needed to bring were the letters and some of her money, everything else would remain in Nyka until she returned.

"Once I’m in Syliras,” she asked, stepping back from the table and barely avoiding a small casket on the floor as she made her way to the door, “how do I find your family?” She knew Syliras was a huge citadel, but she did not know how to navigate it or what else to expect.
Regrettfully, their business on the ship was finished, and occupying the sailor’s private space longer than necessary would have been impolite. She thanked him for his aid, and they were back in the open, where the wind immediately began to tuck on her clothes again.
Last edited by Faradae on July 9th, 2017, 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Imass on December 29th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Finishing up with the map in the captain's quarter, the two walked outside again thanking the sailors for their generosity. Ambling up the docks and back to the eastern quarter, Imass gave Faradae more instructions, "When you arrive in Syliras, you must enter the city through the gates. Tell the gate guards you have an urgent delivery for Ball. He was my squire before I was imprisoned and he will know what to do with these letters. He is a four inch tall Pycon, a clay man if you did not know. Ask him for some coin for the delivery, tell him 40 Gold. They WILL write back so stick around a few days and bring their letters back to me and I shall give you another 40gold on your return."

Imass stopped, gently put his hands on her shoulders, and bowed his head to pray, "Lord Yahal, as it is said in the Penita Scrolls, when two or more have gathered in your name, you too are with us. We have placed faith in each other and ourselves and thus have placed our faith in you as well. Guide lady Faradae. Keep her from harm of beast and nature. Make her mind strong and valiant on this journey. We do not sit around in hope, but take faith in decisive action. Our goals are pure and good and serve only to expand the light of Syliras upon the word. For this, I thank ye Lord Yahal," Imass opened his eyes and smiled. Secretly in his mind, he offered a prayer to Sylir as well. Taking the three letters he placed them in the kelvic's hand.

"God's speed be with you,"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 29th, 2015, 11:35 pm

Faradae
Ball, what a weird name. Faradae was certain that she wouldn’t forget it until she reached Syliras, especially after she got his description. Four inches? Clay? It sounded like a joke, but a look into Imass’ face told her beyond doubt that he was serious. She decided to spare him the questions and see for herself. 40 coins for a journey she’d only needed a reason to make sounded like a lot of money to her, and her eyes grew round when she heard she’d receive an equal sum upon return. In her imagination, travelling was pleasure rather than hardship, and the thought that both her expenses and her austerities during the journey would not nearly be comparable to those of an average citizen struck her briefly. Was it fair to take that much money? But she was no rich woman and didn’t know what difficulties she’d be confronted with on her journeys, so she was not going to complain.

Instead, she closed her eyes when the religious man gently touched her shoulders and recited a prayer to Yahal. Unlike the first time, when he had spoken about Sylir, she felt encouraged by his words. Maybe it were the hands on her shoulders, maybe the kind words, or truly, the god’s presence. But whether symbolic or not, she wished that Yahal would keep an eye on her. Hopefully she did something good by spreading the message of Imass’ wondrous survival. She didn’t expect the letters to carry themselves because they were written by someone faithful, but that did not keep her from giving a solemn nod when the prayer finished. For luck.

She safely stowed the letters away in her bag and thought about her next steps: She’d return to the inn to catch some rest before she departed, but prior to that, she had to prepare the letters for travelling: A casing, waterproof and easy to carry. Maybe she’d find something suitable on the market on Celestial Square, which was hold only every fourth day. Today was one of those days, and it wasn’t far from the inn, so she’d have no trouble finding what she was looking for.

She pushed her thoughts aside for the moment and returned her attention to Imass, who was waiting for her response.

“Farewell,” she said before they parted ways, “and let us pray we’ll meet again soon.”
Last edited by Faradae on July 9th, 2017, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Elias Caldera on February 5th, 2016, 2:57 am

Behold, Your Just Rewards!

Imass

Experience and Lore :
Skills
  • Observation +5
  • Socialization +5
  • Leadership +1
  • Negotiation +2
  • Planning +3
  • Rhetoric +2
  • Navigation +1
  • Persuasion +1
  • Singing +1
  • Teaching +2

Lores
  • Knowing When to Stay Down
  • Resisting the Urge For Violence
  • Faradae: The Kelvic Girl
  • The Power of Prayer
  • Navigation: Understanding a Map
  • Navigation: Distance From Nyka to Syliras
  • Negotiation: Half Now, Half Later

Miscellaneous :
Injuries
  • Sore Abdomen [Will heal completely within a day or two]

Loot and Expenses
  • None

Faradae

Experience and Lore :
Skills
  • Observation +5
  • Socialization +2
  • Persuasion +1
  • Negotiation +2
  • Rhetoric +4
  • Navigation +2
  • Planning +3
  • Mathematics +1

Lores
  • Nyka: The Brutality of The Monks
  • Imass: A Knight of Syliras
  • Imass: The Akalak's Tragic Tale
  • Imass: A Man of Faith
  • Navigation: How to Read a Map
  • Navigation: Distance From Nyka to Syliras
  • Planning For a Long Trip
  • Pycons: People of Clay

Miscellaneous :
Injuries
  • None

Loot and Expenses
  • None

Comments :
    A surprising amount of skills and lores in this one. If you feel I missed any of the latter that you felt were important let me know.

Don't Forget...

Now that your thread is graded, be sure to edit your grade request to reflect as much. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to send me a private message and we'll work it out together.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous