How do strategy? (Archailist)

Alex heads down to the archives at his patrons request

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 9th, 2016, 7:52 pm

Alex knew he had faults and was listening again. The experience was worth the pain. Arch was right about not abandoning his weapons however he doubted he’d never have to fight a pycon. He heard what the pycon had to say and before the pycon could continue with his lecture alex injected only a single line.
“It’s not about abandoning them, it was about not causing harm.” His word honest he didn’t want to cause harm to those around him. Not when there was those who truly deserve his ire, his pain, his hatred. Closing his fist tightly. He kept eyes on the pycon. Sat in a small kneeling position attempting to minimise the pain from his thigh.

Expected valance in battle, never leave his weapons at the wayside because the opponent seemed like a defenceless target. Alex considered this and would in any other given situation kept them with him. But this wasn’t a real life event, had it been he’d have died several chimes ago and he knew this. Primarily from the sleeping in the archives he knew that he was a goner if this thing continued any longer than it should have. His breaths evened out now as he knelt in contemplation.
“In real battle I’ve no intention of throwing my life away, for the sake of honour and valour. I can’t claim a tying to them if I’m lifeless.” And I can’t do what needs be done if I shackle myself to "noble" battle. There are those who need to hurt. Alex then felt the pinch of his breast plate warped under the strain and could hear the scraping of bent metal at the thigh. He was going to need to ask for the pieces to either be fixed or a replacement pair for a short duration.

“I’d like to learn more from you arch, I’d possibly even like to meet this ser Iros that you call your patron.” No malice no anger. Not even a little hostility towards the clay man who had quite literally just laid him out on the hard ground. He was honest and curious to see what kind of man had trained this pycon. The throbbing in his hand had pulsed a little but it wasn’t broken he felt. “My hand’s fine thanks for your concern. I’ve just got to make sure I get better." He smiled and rose from the kneeling position.
“Arch, I knew the moment I accepted your challenge I’d lose. But it was worth it to see just how far I’ve still to go. If the distance between two people at the same rank is this vast after what amounts to a year of difference. I’ve a long way to go.” He smiled lightly a soft edge to it as there was to him as a whole. “Thank you for your time Archailist. You’ve really helped.” He raised his hand again to the loop of sigils around his neck and took a firm hold of the folded wings. Yahal guide him. Please.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Archailist on January 9th, 2016, 8:57 pm

My Words | Your Words | My Thoughts

"You don't need to worry about causing harm here, okay. We're here to train. A little pain is nothing in the long run, especially when it saves you from death. Nobody's going to blame you for dealing a few bruises, least of all me. I don't get bruises. No blood flow." A soft smile spread over his little clay face, all five eyes staring up at Alex. "There's no point in all this training, all these lessons, if you don't learn how to get better. Not just get better at avoiding the attacks but dealing your own back." His face hardened. "So treat these like real battles. Don't throw your weapon away, don't put down an opportunity to launch a counter-attack.. because if you're not treating these like real battles, you're not really learning anything, are you?" He could only hope that Alex was starting to grasp at the true gravity of his placement in the Order.

He seemed so innocent. Not even the slightest hint of anger on his face, no vengeance. He'd felt pity before for some of the other squires and pages but mostly because he knew that they would struggle to rise because of their arrogance or greed. Some were just spoiled brats who treated the Order with such apathy that he knew they were destined to remain at the bottom ranks; it was inevitable. But for Alex, there was something else to it. Genuine sorrow. One day, this sweet young lad would have to go out into battle, with his bow and his dagger, on the back of a horse, and kill someone. Maybe more than one person. Maybe someone he once knew. He'd have to watch his fellow soldiers die at the hands of petch-knew-what they'd find in the future. Maybe Alex himself would die. There was always the risk when they took this life.

"It's no problem, no need to thank me. I'll try to help in any way I can, though, I think I can start by mentioning you to my patron. Oh, and Ball." If there was anyone that could teach Alex a little more about taking advantages where he could find them in the thick of battle, it had to be Ball. All he'd have to do is make sure that Alex emerged with all four limbs still attached to his torso. How hard could it possibly be? Better not to ask those questions. "If you think you've got a long way to go, I think you'll, ahem, get a much more accurate representation from him." Well, he needed to put it lightly, didn't he?
Archailist
And the potter said unto the clay, BE WARE...

Words: 942771
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Konrad Venger on March 15th, 2016, 5:12 pm

Nice job! Your work has pleased The Sloth!

Alexander

XP:
Observation - 3
Reading - 1
Socialization - 3
Investigation - 3
Tactics - 5
Endurance - 2

Lore:
Book: Basic Battle Strategy for Soldiers and Commanders
Socialization: Seeking Enlightenment from Others
Archailist: Wise and Logical Pycon Squire
Tactics: Take Out the Leader
Tactics: Protecting a Weak Side

Archailist

XP:
Rhetoric - 2
Tactics - 5
Teaching - 5
Leadership - 1
Unarmed Combat - 1

Lore:
Ser Iros: Potential Pervert?
Teaching: Using Logic to Instruct
Teaching: Being Patient
Alexander Faircroft: Inquisitive Squire
Teaching: Willing to Correct a Student's Logic
Observation: Gauging your Opponent
Tactics: Armor Infiltration for Pycons

Shared Lore:
The Archives: Vast Store of Knowledge
Tactics: The Advantages of a Smaller Host
Tactics: Using Smaller Hosts for Ambushes
Tactics: Advantages of Familiar Territory
Tactics: Size DOES Matter
Tactics: The Value of Deception
Leadership: How Important is a Leader?
Tactics: The Element of Surprise
Tactics: If You CAN Use a Weapon, then USE IT

Additional:
+5 Shield Points each for training with another Squire

Click Me! :
Hehe, this was so much fun! I loved how Archie was playing the Gruff, Unforgiving Mentor for Alex, who still had a long way to go. Your lesson on tactics was spot-on, too. Worthy of Von Clausewitz! The sparring was just as fun, and it was a joy seeing Py-Fu in action!

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4