PM to join [The Kelp Bar] Strong Drinks, Fierce Company (Firenze)

Two strangers recall a shared traumatic experience over (not so) delicious Kelp Beer!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[The Kelp Bar] Strong Drinks, Fierce Company (Firenze)

Postby Kaie on July 22nd, 2015, 2:04 am

88th of Summer, 515 A.V.
20th Bell

There was a fireball in the sky. A mess of muddled pinks, blues, and oranges blossomed across the undersides of clouds overhead, the sort that looked the same as cotton when one began to pull the white fibers apart. The water below gave off a tranquil reflection of Syna's resignation from her throne in the sky. It hardly rocked the weary ship docked beside one of the port city's many piers, whose sailors had long since vanished to seek out Zeltiva's more nefarious entertainments. The silence that followed their abandonment was oddly soothing to the two remaining souls aboard, who were each taking the time to digest the sum of their most recent travels. The captain found the time for contemplation in his private quarters. Posted up in a sturdy chair before his desk, maps and journals laid open before him, the graying, sea-legged leader plunged himself into fervid work with a quill. For at least half a chime he had sat there scrawling the final chapter of his latest exploits.

There was much to be said of Sunberth and its bloody mysteries. Tapping the feathered end of his writing tool against his bearded chin, he supposed the rare woman above deck was perhaps the toughest enigma the crack. After all, it was she who had paid him to ensure all went smoothly as far as transportation went. She was a hard woman, very no non-sense about the whole matter. Even her instructions on who should be allowed into his service to man the ship to complete her unknown agenda were strict. Careful. All had been so very cautious. Memories of a woman bathed in blood trudging across his deck throughout the season had him shaking his head. There was an obvious method to her Myrian madness. A process to her savagery. In the end, when he was being honest with himself, perhaps it was best he never knew what she had done in Sunberth at all. Still, his fascination for the sharp-tongued killer was rarely sated. Before long he found himself trudging back above deck. He knew right where he would find her: with the birds.

Amber eyes stared out upon the explosion of color across the horizon. Tick by tick, Syna lowered herself into temporary retirement. Light was relinquished to darkness as the cycle always went. Akajia's shadowy fingertips began to draw across the veil of nightfall. A few daring seagulls still glided several yards away, their curving wings turning them into naught but odd V's with distance and fading sunlight. Tawny forearms leaned against the railing of the crow's nest. Only a sigh of the woman's own exhale disturbed the calm that encircled her...but like all things of its nature, that peace did not remain long. "Ya know, I always heard that the feathery type like to hide up in nests, not a 'Tigress'," a voice shouted from below. The woman rolled her eyes before casting her gaze below. Sure enough, there the captain was staring right back up at her.
"And I thought only people with noses could be so damn nosy," the foreigner hollered back as nonchalantly as if she'd hurled down a "hello" rather than a subtle "petch you". A boisterous chuckle echoed up the mast right back. Calloused, sea-faring hands felt at the mangled remains of the nose upon his face. Sunberth truly had not been a kind place, and the taverns were certainly no better when weapons were drawn. "Guess that makes us both wrong!" As if it were infectious, even the sun-kissed woman had to follow his lead and laugh, too. Nonetheless, she shoved herself away from the railings and wandered to the hole in the floor.

Slowly, the woman lowered herself through the opening until boots found themselves planted upon the start of the rat lines. From there it was careful navigation between hands and feet until she shimmied down to the deck. It wasn't a graceful process by far, especially with the wind and the rope twisting, but soon enough she was firmly standing upon the wooden planks of the ship's main deck.

"Well...what's it feel like?" Her hands clapped together and her brow furrowed.
"What's it feel like to what?"
"For it to be, ya know, over?" Kaie blinked at that. Narrow shoulders offered a shrug.
"It feels...like nothing."
"Nothing? Not satisfying? Relieving at all?"

"It did. That was then. Now it feels done, Swiftfoot. Done, and that's all." There was no bite to her words, and his understanding nod was equally solemn in nature. Captain Swiftfoot swaggered his way toward her and clapped a hand on her shoulder with a wise, yellow-teethed grin. "Done's done, girl, and you've made it where you wanted to go with your head still on yours shoulders..." It was hard for the nostalgic Myrian not to interject with an honest "not yet" the tick visions of home entered her head. "...And you haven't left this ship since we docked yesterday. So as much as I love having you around, friend to friend? Get off my damned ship and bloody enjoy yourself." Now it was her turn to flash teeth. She gave his hand upon her shoulder an amicable pat before she gave a flick to the empty water skin hanging from her hip. "Don't have to tell me twice."

Swiftfoot was a reliable guy when it came to pointing out just where she needed to go when it came to Zeltiva. Being illiterate in Common was a pain in itself. Being illiterate in a city you know very little about? That was a real bitch. Thus, Kaie did her best to follow the man's verbal instructions until she found herself in just the right venue. Entering the tavern she'd been told was called "The Kelp Bar", the Myrian was welcomed by a ramshackle of mismatched furniture and a collection of unfriendly stares. Should've seen that coming, she thought having recalled Matthew's warning that, like most barbarian cities, Zeltivans were generally cold toward her kind. A casual swipe of her cloak reminded the public of the gladius upon her hip as she navigated her way to the bar.

In a tick she was posted up upon a stool and raised a single finger at the miserable barkeep. Before long the poorly aged woman had sauntered back her way with a full tankard of the dreaded kelp beer. Kaie looked into the mug's contents but was wise enough not to give it a sniff. A glance around the room of tavern regulars tossing back the flat, green stuff had her shaking her head. The foul liquid was brought to her lips and sipped heartily. Gods was it nasty. Running her hands down her tired face, it was all she could do not to grimace at the taste stuck upon her tongue.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Firenze on July 22nd, 2015, 12:45 pm

Resting her head on her arm on the countertop, the day’s weariness sinking in, hand still on the mug of kelp beer. Sighing, she closed her eyes briefly. A loud slap on the counter popped her head up to glare at the bartender. “If yer gonna sleep, go home, yer wastin a seat if you’re too tired to drink,” the bartend glared back at her. Sitting up straight, hold loosening on the mug she stretched against the back of the odd ball stool, arm stretching out. A large yawn escaped her lips.

“You seen that lady I’m looking for yet?” Her eyes flicked back toward the man, his thick hands rested on the top. Work weary eyes scanned her thin frame as she tipped back toward the well worn wood, grasping her beer and taking a swig. “I’ve not, but I’ve seen you more than I’d care,” he gruffed, pretending to dislike her company. Although she knew better, the twinkle in his blue betraying his true feelings.

That was part of the reason that she kept coming back to The Kelp Bar, other than searching for Melody’s daughter, she had made a friend in the bartender. He wouldn’t admit it, but his hovering and aid in keeping an eye out for the missing woman said otherwise.

Wiping a hand down her face she tried to wake herself. It wasn’t that late in the day but the early morning hunt and the long walk with a client had her tired more than usual. The same hand moved to rub her stomach as she leaned against the wood, wishing that this place served more than just the beer.

The door creaked open and a vaguely familiar face came from the entry way. Watching, the woman moved to the other end of the bar, the other bartender coming to take her order. Eyes narrowed, her brain searching trying to remember where she’d seen that face before. The gears and cogs turning in her mind clicked as she remember it had been the ship to Zeltiva. It had been months since their arrival and although the trip had been long other events had taken place of the memories of their time spent there.

Slapping the coin onto the bartop, Fire picked up the mug and began the journey to the other end of the long row of stools. “Cover hers and slide me another, yeah?” Her speech was relaxed but not slurring, already over halfway through her first cup. She could remember the dark haired womans name, her mind slightly muddled, but figured a free cup of juice would make up for it.

Screeching wood on wood met ears as Fire pulled back the stool next to the woman, “Hey, long time no see,” Fire moved around the edge of the rickety chair and plunked onto the seat. Grabbing the bottom she hopped a few times trying to get it to scoot back in, eventually giving up and leaving it with the large gap between her and the bar. It was a risk coming over, she’d barely remembered who the other person was, let alone her remembering Fire. She figured for a familiar face it was worth taking the chance at a hello. If she didn’t remember then Fire would just move back down to her still warm chair back at the other side and let the woman to her drink.

NotePaid 15 SM, 5 SM for original beer and 10 SM for replacement beer and Kaie's beer.

Others | Firenze | Thoughts
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kaie on July 31st, 2015, 3:49 am

Gods, this is petching nasty...I love it, the Myrian found herself thinking in spite of the distasteful drink that rolled down her throat like sludge. The muscles in her face threatened to give a repugnant twist along with her stomach. Kelp beer was the kind of beverage that tested just about everyone's meddle. It truly was a pathetic excuse of a domestic beer for any city. An Akalak spoiled on Riverfall wine would be quick to scoff for sure. Kaie, on the other hand, was simply grateful it brought on a relatively quick buzz if nothing else. Bronze fingers wandered beneath the veil of her cloak in search of her coin purse to reward the bar keep for his attention. At least that was the plan before a bold stranger made a show of pulling up a stool beside her own.

Amber eyes shifted distrustfully. The presence of a wall near her back was a reassuring fact, and the hand fishing into her pocket for coins paused as if deliberating whether or not to find the hilt of her gladius instead. In a tick it dropped back onto the bar counter to clutch the mug again. Even a Myrian had the decency to think twice before trying to stick the person so kind as to buy them a drink. Her firm gaze lingered upon the woman toying with her chair. She gave a shake of her head and turned her attention back to her alcohol.
"Thanks for the drink, but I think you've got me confused with someone else," the Myrian offered regrettably. Another long and loathed sip was taken from the tankard. Suddenly, she put a hand up as if pausing the woman from retreating.

"Wait. I know your face." Kaie swiveled in her stool as if suddenly riveted, gaze narrowing upon the woman like a critic's upon a painting. Memories suppressed a couple seasons ago swelled to her consciousness. "You were there on our ship two seasons ago." An crooked grin revealed ivory teeth. A grand flourish was given by the savage between the two of them, eyes twinkling a sarcastic mirth. "We both look much better since that shyke show, no?" For a moment she swore her skin turned to gooseflesh as if Baroque Bay had seized her in its icy grip once again. In the woman's company it was hard not to remember the gore that covered her and the bloody gouges that marred her.

More kelp beer was consumed before the mug returned to the counter with a resounding thunk!. As she had learned was customary among barbarians, her right hand was extended toward the familiar face. The tall blonde might not have been a part of her chosen family found within the gang of Scars, but their shared trauma at the hands of Sunberth's mob connected the two all the same.
"I'm Kaie. I don't think we got a chance to get acquainted before things went bad pretty quick. You are...?"

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Firenze on August 4th, 2015, 8:33 pm

The reaction hadn’t been entirely what Firenze had expected, but then after it’d happened it didn’t surprise her since she knew the Myrian was quite the fierce woman. The images of leaving Sunberth still strong in her memory proved it. Kaie shook her head and turned away, dismissing Firenze.

Resignating to the fact that Kaie had not recognized her, Fire hopped from the seat of the chair, the wobbly hunk of wood screeching, yet again, against the floor. As she began to turn the other woman stopped her, turning on her stool, mentioning that they’d been on the ship together. So she did remember! A smile spread across Fire’s face.

Seat screeching, wood groaning, another hop onto the seat of the chair and she was again facing the Myrian, beer in hand. Nodding, she gave her agreeance, “Yep! It’s been an interesting time here. I haven’t seen you around though, did you stay in Zeltiva?” Her own grin at the recognition mirroring the woman across from her.

A hand was thrust forward, Fire grabbed it and shook, the woman’s work worn hands and dark skin significantly contrast to that of her own. An introduction came and Fire realized that even though things had slowed for her since her arrival in the city and the previous seasons were still relatively fresh in her memory, they might not be for the others who’d moved on from the rather barbaric send off from Sunberth.

“Ah, yeah, I’m Firenze. I heard a few others calling your name, I’m kinda good with remembering names and faces," she laughed and took a swing of her beer. “It was kind of a mess, I’m still kind of lost on why everyone was so mad that we were leaving. But then I suppose the reasons I was leaving was rather different than others.” She didn’t want to get into the reasoning behind why she was leaving and waved her hand trying to dismiss that part of the conversation, “No matter, we got out alive.”

Another swill and the previous mug that she’d drank had started to kick in, making her more relaxed than she probably should have been, “So… what brings you in… here?” Waving her arm around to the establishment, some of the other patrons eyeballing her rather obtuse movements.

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kaie on August 11th, 2015, 2:49 pm

That crooked smile widened and the Myrian offered a slow shake of her head. Dragged into a bad situation while running from her own? Poor girl. Almost slaughtered without so much as a clue as to why, Kaie's mirthful thoughts mused. Nonetheless, she was laughing and drinking along with the woman, surprised to feel a numbing in her body that signaled the potency of the Zeltivan drink.

"Firenze," the savage tasted the name on her tongue, harsh Myrian accent perhaps giving the woman's title an extra fierceness when she spoke it. "Alive? Barely, but true enough." Her eyes gave a casual glance over her new companion's back. Unsurprisingly, a couple pairs stared back. The screeching of Firenze's stool as she maneuvered in her seat had no doubt drawn attention toward the clear foreigner. The loathing in their eye movements when they flickered between her and other things worthy of their attention was not new. Riverfall, Endrykas, Syliras, Zeltiva, Sunberth. They were always the same.

"For the delicious drink, of course!" came her sarcastic response with a raising of her kelp beer. A lengthy sip was taken before the beer found its way back to the counter. "Taverns are usually the best places to get drunk. Figured I deserved a drink even if it takes like pure, sea-born shyke." The comment earned her a side glance from the bar keep, who she carelessly waved off as if suggesting he dismiss her griping all together. It did do the trick regardless of the taste after all. That was all that really mattered to the worn warrior.

"What about you? Were you up to anything exciting before you spotted an ex-Scar?" Kaie finished the last of her drink at that point. The bar keep, catching her gaze, made his way over. "Another for me and put the extra toward another for her if she wants it." The appropriate Miza amount was procured and passed along. The man gave a nod and went about his business, returning soon-after with the requested kelp beer.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Firenze on August 20th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Taking a sip of her beer, a thunk onto the countertop as it was put back into it’s previous spot. Firenze bobbed her head in a nod as the woman spoke about barely getting out alive. Kaie said that she’d come for the drink and wasn’t particularly keen on the taste. Looking to her own with a sniff she didn’t know if she completely agreed and decided to voice that opinion, “I don’t know, I don’t really think it’s that bad. Then I wouldn’t mind a nice ale like back in ‘Berth. That stuff was pretty tasty. They were quite the bunch in that city but they could make a decent drink.”

Crossing one leg over the other, the room had started becoming slightly warmer. She wasn’t sure if it was the mass of bodies or the kelp beer raising the temperature. “I was just coming in to relax and have a beer. Things have been pretty peaceful since being here. I’m not complaining but at the same time it’s kind of odd. I always feel like something or someone is gonna break out and do something crazy. Not that it couldn’t happen here, but I don’t think it would happen as often as in Sunberth,” a puff of air came from between her lips to blow fallen hair out of her face. “The people here seem pretty nice.”

She shifted in her seat slightly, unsure if she should tell her more, she wasn't really suppose to speak of her clients because then it could damage her reputation to get anymore. She didn't want to be the kind of person to kiss and tell either. Unless it was with a close friend. Although the woman across from her was familiar she didn't know if she could trust her with that kind of information.

Kaie ordered another beer, the flush was already high in Firenze’s cheeks from the first two but decided another couldn’t hurt. Eyes scanned the lean muscular frame, she seemed like a warrior or someone that knew how to fight. Fire wasn’t the best at combat but felt she could put up a decent enough fight if need be. Eyes flicked between the vast difference of the two women. Spring had been kind of rough and taken away some of the meat on her bones, making her feel weaker than normal. Summer had been a better turn of events with being able to share housing in town and get actual good food.

She didn’t really know much about the woman sitting across from her and wondered if the physique was indeed from what Fire thought or if it might have been earned from something else. “What have you been doing since you’ve been in Zeltiva?” A smile showed teeth, her eyes turned up at the corners, curiosity and alcohol fueling her confidence.

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kaie on August 25th, 2015, 6:44 pm

The thirsty Myrian offered her new companion a passive shrug of narrow shoulders. Now that the woman had mentioned it, as much as she had no intentions of casting her gaze upon Baroque Bay again, she did miss some of the stronger drinks a good dock-side tavern could provide. Come to think of it, Sunberth's alcoholic beverages were the closest that came to rivaling Taloba's. All the more reason to head home, her mind conceded. She mumbled a "thanks" to bartender when he returned with the drinks before she was quickly onto the next. With this first sip, the kelp beer went down far smoother than she expected. Perhaps it would grow on her in addition to the lower pace of Zeltivan life.

"I know the feeling all too well. You seem smarter than me. When things get too suspiciously peaceful, I end up inadvertently searching for trouble. It doesn't take much searching. Trouble has a habit of finding me sooner or later," she laughed dryly with a wry grin. After all, her trip back to Sunberth for the previous season, despite the city's prior best efforts to kill her, wasn't for leisure. Had it not been such a person visit she might've made a morbid joke about it being for sport. Thankfully, the boisterous laughing and cheering of nearby deck hands and sailors distracted her from visions of recently committed horrors.

"They're all pretty nice so long as you're one of them." There was a knowing gleam in the Myrian's eye, much like the hostile one of the patrons who laid eyes on the savage the tick she entered the bar.

"Save for the season I stayed here when we all first got off the ship from Sunberth, I just returned again yesterday. I don't plan on doing much. Just here to prepare myself for the long ride to Syliras, and then a long ship ride home." Another generous drink from her kelp beer was taken. A new flush slowly began to color sun-kissed cheeks. Kaie gave a rub of her forehead before turning her attention back to Firenze. "Is Zeltiva your final destination? I can't blame you for leaving that shyke-hole of a city. I'm sure you have your own reasons for doing so, but it was probably in your best interest to move on regardless."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Dove Brown on April 9th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Kaie
Skills
  • Rhetoric 1
  • Climbing 1
  • Socialisation 2
Lores
  • Climbing: ships' masts
  • Firenze: a half-forgotten friend
  • Kelp beer: foul but effective
Miscellaneous
  • Mizas (+/-) | -10 sm
  • Item Purchased (+/-) | +2 kelp beers

Firenze
Skills
  • Socialisation 3
  • Intelligence 1
Lores
  • Kaie: a half-remembered face
  • Kelp beer: foul but effective
Miscellaneous[list][*]Mizas (+/-) | -15 sm
[*]Item Purchased (+/-) | +3 kelp beers

Comments: Enjoy your grades
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)