An Inarta Walks into a Bar

(Azira) Job Thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Izuyanai on March 16th, 2016, 4:11 am

16th of Spring, 516AV

Gladly escaping the light drizzle outside, Izuyanai ducked into the Demise with a handful of bright blossoms. She’d taken the liberty of flying about earlier and collecting these early spring beauties. Their soft colours were a nice contrast to the overcast sky and muddy fields. Raindrops still clung to the silky petals and sometimes dripped down onto the floor, glimmering in the blue candlelight.

Striding over to the counter, she reached into one of the shelves and produced several small vials. Dipping these into a basin of fresh water, she proceeded to arrange the pink and blue flowers into them. Sometimes tearing away excess leaves or snapping lengthy stems. The raven wondered at their names. One was a rather puffy pink species while another was a collection of small, delicate blue flowers. She might ask Aleah or look them up in the library later.

Scrubbing her hands clean in the water Izuyanai let a few brisk snaps of her wrist send an ark of water droplets flying away from her fingertips. She collected her various creations but peeked out from behind the counter to determine where they should go.

There were slightly more people than last winter. Apparently the constant rain had driven more than a few citizens to seek activities indoors. That, and the coming night had begun to put the Lhavitians in a celebratory mood once again.

Focusing on the counter seats, Izuyanai went about setting up the vials in relatively equal intervals from each other. Why not bring in a little seasonal recognition to celebrate the warmer weather? Taking the remaining blossoms, she set them down on the lounge seats a slight ways away. Now, the establishment had bright dots of colour to complement its characteristic evening candlelight.

On her way back to the station she made a small detour to retrieve the empty glasses starting to crowd one of the tables and see if anyone was interested in ordering.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Azira on March 16th, 2016, 10:10 pm

The Inarta stood in the middle of Surya Plaza with her shoulders hunched and the hood of her cloak pulled up to keep out the chill and dampness that came with the light rain that had been assailing the city for the past two days. The huntress didn't know if she could ever get used to wandering around a city that was open to the elements. It was impractical during weather like this although she knew that it could be pleasant when the sky was clear and Syna was allowed to reign. The weather could be avoided by going inside of course and there was no shortage of places to choose from, especially on Zintia where one seemed able to find everything and anything. Time didn't affect things, as Azira was slowly trying to come to terms with, the city busy no matter the bell. If this was Wind Reach, she could easily predict where people would be and when it grew late, its denizens would sleep or head to the nightclub, after which they'd find their own beds or someone else's. Here, the only way to tell the difference between day and night was the bell and the lighting. Well, there were changes in some of the activities in some locations, but for the most part, business continued without stopping.

The various establishments around the Plaza were a hubbub of activity and Azira scoured their fronts to determine if she wanted to go near them, choosing to walk around the area closer to the buildings so that she could determine their nature. Names were displayed in fancy script and symbols and the girl found that some she could read while other's were indecipherable. The Common tongue was infuriating, all the more so because it prevented her from knowing about the things around her. Some words she could now read because she had heard them spoken, the sound and script put together but there were still words that she could read and say without knowing their meaning.

The huntress found a more out of the way place, patrons entering at a steady pace but infrequent enough for her to consider entering. She couldn't be certain what sort of business it was, but it wasn't a shop as people were going in and not coming out again from what she could see and there was no merchandise for sale. She could walk in and find out, that was the best way and it wasn't like she couldn't walk straight back again if she didn't want to. The name gave her no hint, the sign a jumble of characters that spelled words she didn't understand. The only word she recognised was "the" but that was no help whatsoever. Hopefully she could find out the sounds that went with the words on the sign later, and maybe even the meaning but for now she stepped across the threshold of the place, throwing her hood back as she did so.

The entryway was narrow and dim although there was light ahead that she could follow and after a few steps the passage widened into a large room full of tables and chairs and a counter that she recognised with some apprehension as being a bar. Azira didn't really like alcohol but she had drank it before in the Inclement Weather in an effort to deal with the dance club's atmosphere. This place was far more tranquil. There were plenty of tables with occupants who chatted and laughed together, but overall the place was relaxing with its dim lighting and pretty flowers along the bar. There was a girl gathering glasses who obviously worked there but no one seemed to notice the Inarta girl hovering in the entrance. If she wanted to, she still had the chance to leave.

This is nice though and it's warm and there isn't a crowd.

She'd already convinced herself that being out and about was better than staring at the walls of her room. Besides, this was a normal thing for Lhavitians to do, go out at night heedless of the clock.

Azira made a beeline for the bar, sliding on to one of the counter seats and examining the flowers, as she sat with her back to the other patrons. Being out was good but she still dreaded the idea of ordering because it meant tripping her way through the unfamiliar tongue and feeling like a fool, as if her appearance didn't already mark her as an outsider. She could wear their clothes but she couldn't look and talk like them. She had every intention of fixing the latter, although she hoped to talk like the common person and not like the Eth called Alses who had vomited long and complicated words at her when they'd first met.

The girl chewed her lip as she waited for the inevitable communication and the stuttered sentences that she would have to spit out.
Nari | Common
Template courtesy of Khara
4 out of 5 active threads

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Words: 907811
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Izuyanai on March 18th, 2016, 4:12 am

The flaming red hair of an Inarta caught Izuyanai's attention as she made to return with the empty glasses. The customer had taken a seat up at the counter and was glancing toward her every now and then as if she wanted to order. The odd thing was, the closer the raven got, she could see a tense expression as well as an unease reflected in the flickering eyes.

Quite a contrast to the rather relaxed atmosphere of the place. Izuyanai wondered what could be cause for discomfort. She didn't come across as an unsavory character, so unless any more suspicions were arose, it didn't seem to be a situation calling for Auristics. Ah, there was that distrust and paranoia again. Perhaps the woman simply wasn't used to this sort of establishment.

The tense expression reminded her of someone else. The bitter and then angry expression of another Inarta. She could only wonder if this encounter didn't end in a similar fashion. At least on her end, Izuyanai had very little doubts about her cool headedness. She no longer cared for insults to her person at least. Found it hard not to find sarcastic humor in the vilest of encounters. The same could not be said for a lot of passion driven Inarta.

Why not try and see if she could make the stranger more comfortable.

Stepping up to the counter, Izuyanai balanced the glasses in one hand and produced a menu from behind her back. Smiling easily at the customer, she deftly flipped it open and held it out for her examination. Making that mental switch to Nari, Izuyanai prepared herself to take the order.

"Good evening, what can I get you?"

The raven hadn't lived in Wind Reach for nothing. Aside from picking up Nari, she knew the Inarta were a proud people. Close knit even with the caste. Perhaps the sound of a familiar language would make her feel more welcome. In a land of foreigners, someone who spoke their native tongue would be easier to deem trustworthy and a friend.

Not to mention that this was the perfect opportunity to show off.

"If you are having trouble deciding... I personally recommend Time's End. The Sun's Glory and Full Moon are always favorites. Or you might like to try the Flame King," she continued in Nari. "We have a selection of wines if you're not looking for something too strong."

The raven subtly kept her eyes on the Inarta woman's face, searching for clues as to her next move.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Azira on March 19th, 2016, 12:14 am

The dark haired bartender appeared with glasses that she had collected, Azira feeling her eyes upon her. She met the girl's gaze to show that she wasn't afraid of her, although her body was betraying her anxiety, she was certain of it. The other smiled at her, producing a booklet from somewhere with Common neatly written out. The Inarta took it, eyes skimming the contents quickly. It seemed to be a menu although she could only decipher some of it. From what she could tell, it predominantly appeared to be a list of drinks although she could recognise some food items too, like cheese and bread. Before she could think to deeply about it, the bartender in front of her came out with something that stunned her.

The huntress gaped at her, unable to believe her ears as she looked the other up and down. No, she didn't look anything like an Inarta and besides the speech was imperfect so it wasn't her first language. Could there be more speakers of Nari in the city than she'd imagined? Sure, Endal came to trade here but surely there were only so many people who would interact with them and they'd no doubt use Common. Yet here was this person who was talking to her in her own language as if there was nothing out of the ordinary about this situation. The recommendations flowed over her but they didn't go in, she was too distracted and the words didn't mean much to her anyway. If they were cocktails then she wasn't familiar with them anyway. They probably didn't have much similarity to the drinks in the Inclement Weather and she wasn't overly familiar with them either.

"You... you can speak Nari? I wasn't expecting that. I haven't found too many people who seem to know it," she blurted, looking between the girl and the menu. "I have no idea what does drinks are but... I don't want anything too strong so wine. I don't know what wine might be good, I don't often have a chance to drink. What wines might you recommend?" Azira scanned the list but she didn't recognise the names of the wines. When she had been to the club she had merely asked for wine and been given a mystery bottle. The Inarta weren't exactly connoisseurs when it came to alcohol. They didn't much care what went in to their bodies if they could get some sort of high from it. Her race as a whole weren't particularly picky about such things.

"How is it that you can speak Nari?" she asked, her voice raising a little in excitement. "Have you known Inarta? You seem to have a good grasp of it so you must have picked it up from one of us, or people who have lived among us."

The redhead wondered what the chances were that she had stumbled into a place where the bartender spoke her language, the bird-like inflections wonderful to hear. It would be all the better to hear it from a fluent speaker but beggars couldn't be choosers and the more acquaintances she made that could speak Nari the better.

OOCSorry it's so short but I had trouble forming a reply
Nari | Common
Last edited by Azira on March 28th, 2016, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Izuyanai on March 21st, 2016, 9:08 am

oocNo problem. My posts tend to be on the shorter end but I'll try to make them with more content.
The raven nodded nonchalantly. She had even impressed herself at how well received her strategy was. Bright gold eyes were wide in surprise and wonder, as they flitted over her features.

"I speak it acceptably, I think. Though I do forget the sentence structure at times. What do you think of my accent? Too much Common?"

Averting her eyes to reconsider her recommendations, Izuyanai took a moment to calculate. Mentally, she ran through the list and characteristics of each bottle that she had come to know while employed in this establishment. If the customer wasn't too experienced or knowledgable it would be best to start with something simple.

Leaning over slightly, Izuyanai tapped her finger along to the wines she was suggesting.

"I'll assume you don't have a preference for red or white. This one...Cabernet. It's a simple and bold red wine. I don't think you can go wrong with this classic choice. If you prefer something more delicate, Riesling is an easy white wine. It's quite light..." she paused, unsure of her vocabulary. "A bright and flowery wine, I think it should be described."

Perhaps if they chose to frequent the Demise, they could try many more until they found something that truly fit their tastes.

Stepping away so as to stand behind the counter, Izuyanai resumed facing the Inarta. After giving them a moment to ponder, the raven did her best to keep up with the continuous barrage of questions.

"I lived a short while in Wind Reach, you see. I had to learn a little. Not everyone speaks Common up there."

Setting aside the dirty glasses for the moment, Izuyanai reached up for a delicately crafted wine glass. Setting it down on the counter and twisting away to retrieve the chosen bottle, she elected to throw a few questions of her own.

"May I presume that you travelled from there to Lhavit, recently? I expect it's quite a difference, no? What brought you to the city of stars?"

As she spoke, the kelvic removed the cork from a fresh bottle with an abrupt motion of her arm. The bottle was cool to the touch as she lifted and tilted it over the glass. After allowing for a measure of the savory liquid to flow into the glass, Izuyanai twisted the bottle away. Sliding the glass forward slightly, she leaned back, curious as to how her recommendation would be.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Azira on March 24th, 2016, 11:14 pm

The Inarta snorted at the woman's humble statement. She could speak Nari acceptably. Well, Azira was damn sure that this stranger's Nari was better than her own Common. She was sure that she had a better accent in Common though. Okay, maybe she was a little pitchy and more melodic than most Common speakers but it was an improvement as far as the huntress was concerned. This bartender's Nari wasn't too bad in terms of accent, not as bad as Turrin's certainly. She had once mocked him for how atrocious it sounded, but this woman was relatively pleasant to listen to when she spoke.

"It's better than acceptable, I think. Better than my Common for sure although you're probably just as out of practice as I am," she replied laughingly. She gave the other an appraising look. "Your Nari is somewhat... flat. It's closer to Common in accent, yes," she explained, smiling apologetically. The sound of it didn't bother her at all, she was just delighted to be able to chatter away in her own language once more. It was a relief and the young woman realised that it was a luxury. She wasn't always going to have a chance to speak in a language that she had fluency in. Maybe she would become fluent with time but even so it would never be the same. Nari was the sound of home. Even though Lhavit wasn't far from Wind Reach--at least in comparison to other places--it was still too far. Small interactions like this were probably all that she could hope for in this strange place.

The youth was sinking in to melancholic homesickness when the bartender broke in with her drink recommendations. It was a good thing that she'd stated what sort of beverage she wanted before the melancholy came or she would have stupidly opted for something strong. As it was now, she'd have to drink an awful lot if she wanted to drown her sorrows. Or so she hoped anyway. She might be something of a lightweight based on her few alcoholic endeavours but maybe that was as a result of the alcohol in question. Something told her that Lhavit would have weaker alcohol than Wind Reach.

The recommendations helped to improve her humour somewhat as she found herself sniggering at the way they were described. How could something you drank taste bright and flowery? Or was she talking about its appearance? She had an image of a luminous white liquid filled with petals in her head and it provided her with plenty of amusement. She had said that it was light though and that was promising, even if the rest of the description wasn't. No matter how off-putting it might like, she'd try it and allow her taste buds to decide if it was worth drinking more of it in the future.

"I'll go with this... flowery Riesling," she responded with a smirk, losing interest in the menu before her at once. It gave her more of an opportunity to watch the woman at her work, as well as keeping an eye on her expression as she considered answers to Azira's flood of questions. She had asked quite a few in her excitement but thankfully the woman seemed forthcoming with the answers. Perhaps Azira might be able to prompt her with more and more queries so that she had longer to converse in her own tongue. If she asked enough then the other might not have a chance to ask her anything. The huntress certainly wasn't inclined to share anything.

Her interest was further piqued by the fact this woman had lived in Wind Reach and her mind filled to bursting with questions, so many that she didn't know which to voice first. It was more exciting that this woman had travelled and she wondered if she'd been to other places, if she might come from somewhere else entirely and was only using Lhavit as her home for now as she had once done with Wind Reach. However, the dreaded questions came during her struggle of indecision and the girl found herself chewing her lip as she contemplated how to answer.

"I have come here quite recently, late last season. It is very different here. It is strange to have the sky above me so much when I'm in the city. The people here keep odd bells and there are so many different people here. And Common, it's everywhere!" Once the girl started talking about Lhavit, she found that she couldn't stop. Her speech turned into a rant.

"You can't tell who's who here. The strangest people seem to gain good status here. Those who talk and talk and talk seem to do better than those who use their hands. They're obsessed with their Okomo and I can't stand the things. You can ride them but they aren't like riding Wind Eagles and they'd be a great source of food but instead they treat them like... like the way we treat birds at home. We have a special relationship with birds, it makes sense, but they won't harm them at all. They have such respect for them that they won't even put aside some for food. Food is less scarce here but still difficult to come by, I think and yet they won't. I don't get it. I don't know why I came! I read too many journals, too much talk of travel and it just sounded so interesting but none of them said that you'd miss home so much that your heart ached, that you wouldn't understand anyone or that everything would be so strange!"

The huntress sighed deeply, pinching the bridge of her nose as she tried to regain some of her former composure.

"Apologies. I am having some... difficulty adjusting," she stated evenly. She dropped her hand so that she could rest her cheek against it, propping herself up on her elbows on the bar. The wine had appeared, a fact that she had only been vaguely aware when she'd been blathering on, but she picked it up with the hand that wasn't currently cushioning her face. "Enough about that. Tell me where you're from. You've lived in Wind Reach and you're in Lhavit now. Did you come from here originally?"

Her questions asked, the young woman sniffed the wine softly, the aroma definitely giving her some hints of flora. It could have been her imagination in light of the other's earlier description but she wasn't here to smell it anyway. She took a sip, swilling the liquid around on her tongue before she swallowed. She grimaced slightly at the bitterness within the fermented beverage but once one got past that burn it was almost... pleasant. She took another sip before returning the glass to the counter, the second taste better than the first.

"I'm Azira by the way. I think we forgot about introductions."
Nari | Common

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Izuyanai on March 27th, 2016, 7:10 am

Whatever Izuyanai had said, the Inarta seemed to be amused. Perhaps she had made a mistake in Nari? Shrugging contentedly, the bartender merely continued preparing the drink, satisfied at the brighter look on the woman’s face.

Izuyanai blinked at the Inarta’s sudden outburst but patiently laced her hands behind her back as she waited for the other woman to finish. It was like listening to the angry twittering of a bird. Musical, but still sharp and admonishing. From her position behind the counter, Izuyanai saw one or two heads turn briefly to give the exasperated Inarta a sidelong glance. Soon the woman seemed to slump and paused long enough for her to collect herself.

The kelvic reached over and gathered the abandoned menu to stow it away once more. So the woman missed home, huh. Izuyanai almost wished she could relate. Nowhere felt like home to her. Of course she could stay somewhere for an extended period of time, however the need to move on to somewhere always came nagging from the back of her mind. The bright side was that she could assume the local culture without questioning it too much. Something her customer seemed to be having problems with.

Chuckling slightly, the raven waved her hand around at the room as if to specify the entirety of Lhavit.

“You don’t know why you came here? It’s exactly as you said. It sounded interesting. Try not to be so disappointed that everything is strange here. After all, it would hardly have sounded interesting if nothing were different. You wouldn’t have had the desire to travel if the world were a complete copy of Wind Reach. Think of all the amazing stories you will have to tell when you do return home,” she smiled encouragingly.

“But you do have an interesting perspective,” Izuyanai said more thoughtfully. “I never thought to look at Lhavit that way. I personally like having the sky overhead. Doesn’t it feel like you could sprout wings and take off at any moment you please? I admit it gets a lot more chilly here than in Wind Reach, though. As for status, I think it’s that the city values different things. Have you been to the Bharani or the Basilika? It’s nothing like the Enclave. An impressive collection of knowledge, no doubt. The treatment of Okomo isn’t so strange. I’m actually surprised that an Inarta wouldn’t understand.”

Picking up a nearby pan used to fry onions, the raven brandished it with a rather wicked smile.

“No-one in Wind Reach would dare pluck and cook a Wind Eagle to eat would they? Same here. The Okomo are helpful creatures who aid our lives atop the mountains. Though I prefer flying, to be honest,” she added in a small mutter. “Your disapproval of Common is rather unfortunate. I can understand the frustration of not being able to communicate freely.”

The insistent questions about herself threw Izuyanai off, slightly. She was a hypocrite in this matter. She loved hearing and uncovering the details of other’s lives but didn’t particularly like discussing her own with just anyone. Not that there was anything important to be revealed, really. Watching the woman take a cautious sip of the wine, the kelvic made a point to embed the given name into her memory.

“I’m afraid we did forget proper introductions,” she admitted suddenly switching to the Common the Inarta seemed to hate so much. “Azira, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Please call me Izuyanai, and yes, I am from Lhavit originally.”

It was easy lying to a foreigner. Especially in her own first language. Stringing together phrases in Nari had begun to wear down on her. She hadn’t really forgotten about introductions nor was she really from Lhavit. It was just that introductions tended to be a mutual thing, which was bothersome.

“I’m sorry to spring Common on you, but I think it will be more helpful in the long run,” Izuyanai spoke more clearly, avoiding her usual habit of choppy and speedy speech. “After all, there aren’t many Common and Nari speaking bartenders available in Lhavit. This is a perfect opportunity for you. If you have trouble phrasing something in Common, I have enough understanding of Nari that I can help you. It may be frustrating now but with enough practice, I’m sure you’ll pick up any new language in no time. Consider me your personal tutor. What do you say?”

With a mischievous glint in her eye, the raven brought her hands together as if remembering something.

“Speaking of Okomos. We do eat them, in a way. Have you tried okomo cheese?” she questioned perhaps seeming too amused.

Reaching around, Izuyanai opened up a cupboard as if to check their stock. Large platters of uncut cheeses were visible from their places on the shelf.

“If you’re willing to try them, it’ll be my treat. That is…I’ll pay. Even if you end up hating it, nothing lost and experience gained, correct? We even have bread if you like. Will you try?” the raven urged, using a flash of Nari as additional encouragement.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Azira on April 5th, 2016, 11:05 pm

It was nice to be able to properly converse with someone after she'd spent so long stumbling over words and barely being able to string words together. It was good to be able to have a genuine discussion rather than the merely engaging in the rudiments of communication. Fun wasn't the right way to describe it, but it was certainly enjoyable. She could truly speak her mind and be understood, although not necessarily agreed with, which wasn't the purpose o this at all. All that mattered was that she got a chance to say what she meant and she had someone who was willing to listen to her.

The bartender clearly didn't agree with all she said and offered an alternative perspective that Azira could appreciate. She made an excellent point about Lhavit's difference being one of the reasons why she had come to the city and she found herself nodding along in agreement.

"Yes, I did come here because Lhavit's different than Wind Reach, didn't I? I'm being a bit of a fool complaining that it is different then, huh?" she asked in Nari, the corner of her mouth turning up in a lopsided grin. "I've no problem with the sky overhead. I'm used to spending a lot of time under it. I'm just also accustomed to having many layers of rock between myself and it, you see for instance, when I go for a stroll. Also I'll admit that I'm not used to the weather being quite so intrusive either. I can't do anything without the elements butting in, you know? And chilly is an understatement."

The huntress laughed, lifting the glass to smiling lips to take a generous mouthful of her wine. The flavour of it was growing on her somewhat and she was already starting to contemplate having another once this one was finished.

"I have been to the library and have stayed briefly at the Basilika in the past. The language is something of a barrier to attaining knowledge though. Not that that has ever stopped me in the past. I'm very stubborn when I want to know or understand something. I'm used to getting what I want, even if that means working quite hard for it," she explained.

The Inarta tutted her disagreement when the woman compared the killing and cooking of Okomo to the same treatment in relation to Wind Eagles. She shook her head vigorously, making her position on the matter plain even before she spoke. "They are not the same," Azira began, doing her best to hold the other's eye as she made her point. "Wind Eagles can talk to us. They are us. Inarta and Wind Eagles are one in a way that Lhavitians and Okomo are not. We can talk to them in Nari. We can speak with them mind to mind. This cannot be done with Okomo, can it? You cannot form a bond with them in the way you can a Wind Eagle. They cannot be compared, but I understand the respect they hold here. And of course, there is nothing quite like flying, is there?" The young woman flashed a grin at the server as a moment of comprehension passed between them. They both knew the joy of flight but one under very different circumstances from the other, not that Azira was to know that of course.

Once more, the huntress took a sip of her wine, the contents of the glass fast reducing. Another glass would no doubt be in order soon and if Izuyanai was good at her job--her service thus far had been impeccable--then she would suggest a further purchase. They might be having a friendly chat but that didn't mean that the other woman wouldn't be glad to get coin out of her.

Her eyes glowed amber in the candlelight of the tavern, a spark of defiance in her gaze before she accepted the change to Common. "Izuyanai, it's a pleasure to meet you," she parroted, substituting the other's name for her own as she repeated the phrase and committed it to her memory by repeating it silently to herself. She nodded as the other confirmed that Lhavit was her city of origin, the way she spoke Common sounding similar enough to those she heard around the place.

"I understand. I need practice in Common. I have not spoken in Nari for so long that I... became excited. I was... carried away. I can speak Common, I know I have to speak it," she responded slowly, choosing her words with care.

The talk of eating Okomo sent her eyebrows rapidly rising up her forehead. She let out a short laugh when it turned out Izuyanai was talking about cheese. Of course, from the milk, she thought to herself. There wasn't need for much encouragement as cheese was a luxury that she wasn't accustomed to at home. It was a rare treat on the off chance that enough food could be found to feed some tamed goats. She nodded eagerly, finishing off the glass of wine as she waited for the delicacy to be placed before her. She pushed the glass away from her, gesturing for another.

"I pay. Do not worry," she responded in Common, smirking at the other. She could prove that she was willing and able to stop herself from slipping in to the use of Nari, in spite of the obvious temptation that the other had offered. "I have said much, tell me about you. How did you go to Wind Reach? Were you dwelling there for a long time, or no? I have said enough. For now."
Nari | Common

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Izuyanai on April 12th, 2016, 7:17 am

“Same kind?” Izuyanai questioned, before reaching over and pouring another measure of drink into Azira’s glass. Things were going relatively smoothly. The woman seemed to have liked the raven’s recommendation as well as was relaxing into their conversation.

The Kelvic reached behind and lowered a variety of cheeses onto the cutting board where she carved delicate slices onto the serving plate. Its rich aroma wafted through the air as she leaned over and set the plate next to the glass. That wine shouldn’t pose too much of the problem when pairing with cheese. It went relatively well with everything, after all.

Azira seemed eager to hear more from her and it seemed to be a futile effort for Izuyanai to pry, as her bright eyes flickered boldly in the candlelight. It might be fun for the raven to narrate a little. It would provide entertainment, and perhaps the Inarta would learn more about Lhavit. Checking her previously lie, and buying time to weave the tale, Izuyanai pretended to wipe the cheese knife clean a few times.

“I didn’t stay long, unfortunately,” she smiled as she looked up. “I flew there with the traders last summer I think it was. To visit family, you see. I came back right before winter hit and have been working here since. If you’re planning on staying a while, I think we have a couple festivals coming up in Lhavit. One is called Okomo day and in the summer. You might want to stay for that,” Izuyanai chuckled, wondering if the festival would only solidify Azira’s confusion about Okomos. “I miss the Abelu Aviary,” she sighed briefly. “It was such a nice place but I suppose I can always visit again if I’m in Wind Reach.”

Curiously watching Azira’s reaction to the new dish, the raven gathered some magic and focused on the woman in front of her. The colours of emotion and thought swirled in her aura, drifting by unread. Carefully weaving through the details, Izuyanai attempted to find out more. Inarta were generally strong as they were a hardy people, and despite Azira’s frame, she shared this quality with the rest of her race. She could be a craftswoman, or one of the prided hunters of Mt. Skyinarta. Not getting much more, she relinquished the distinct focus in her mind and surveyed the rest of the bar once more.

A customer partially obscured in the grey shadows toward the back of the establishment raised his glass in an attempt to get her attention.

“Excuse me, I’ll be back in a moment.”

With that, the bartender swept away to tend to the other customer's wishes.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Azira on April 15th, 2016, 2:53 pm

The huntress eagerly nodded her confirmation as Izuyanai set about fulfilling her order. The woman had hardly needed a response from her as she was ready with more of the wine, which was measured generously in to her glass. She inhaled its sharp aroma appreciatively as it sloshed in to the glass, vowing that this would be the last she would have for the night. Azira wasn't drunk and she didn't think that she was near to it but she could feel the tingling and warmth of the first glass moving through her. She didn't want to go drinking more than she could handle and end up making a fool of herself, especially not in this strange city, where she felt that drunkenness was something for which a person could receive negative judgement. Having something to eat would no doubt help dilute the alcohol's effects but that didn't mean that she couldn't finish things up while she still had some self-respect.

Soon, the smell of the Okomo cheese was intermingling with that of her drink as it was set beside it on the counter. The Inarta found herself examining the cheese intently rather than paying attention to the bartender. With the wonder and curiosity with which she regarded it, an onlooker would think that she had never seen cheese before. She had almost forgotten how it looked, how it could smell, although this type smelled different than what was occasionally available at home. She was having difficulty believing how easily it had been presented to her and from what she'd glimpsed on the menu earlier, it was far cheaper than she could have imagined.

As she tucked in to the delicious treat, the huntress remembered her surroundings and her conversation and turned her attention back to Izuyanai. The other had set about cleaning up after herself, contemplating something--probably Azira's questions--as she did so. The redhead ate slowly, savouring each rich and creamy morsel of cheese as she waited patiently for the other woman's narration. She listened with interest, nodding along to her words, wondering what family the other had in Mount Skyinarta. True, other races could take up residence there but it wasn't all that common so it was possible the bartender might be related to the Inarta in some way. The other wasn't very forthcoming with details so the huntress gathered that she didn't want to share much about her stay in Azira's home, especially as she stared the conversation's direction back towards Lhavit by talking about festivals. The woman took the hint and decided that Wind Reach was a topic that was out of bounds for some reason. Forbidden knowledge was all the more intriguing though and she wondered why she wasn't inclined to talk about it.

"There seems to be much celebration here. I have heard of festivals. We do not celebrate much; it wastes food," Azira commented in Common. It wasn't entirely true that they didn't celebrate much. There was far more private and intimate celebration that went on in her volcanic home. If one had the money, then one could celebrate quite a lot in the Inclement Weather with drink and drugs and companions who could later warm your bed. She had a feeling it wouldn't be on par with a Lhavitian celebration. The young woman found herself smirking at the idea of some of the dignified denizens dancing madly to the sort of music that normally featured in the Inarta night club.

The mention of the Aviary caught her attention immediately and she jumped at the opportunity to pry. The fact that she had slipped back in to this talk of Wind Reach spoke volumes to the huntress as she realised that this was a topic that the other couldn't stop herself from talking about.

"Ah, yes! Visitors do not tend to go there, the height bothers them, but some do. Do you like birds? We have many but you know this, they are very special to us. Not like Wind Eagles, but important. Some people can talk to them. I do not know how it works but there is a sort of bond there," she blurted in Common, almost choking on her tongue in her haste to get the words out, especially as she noticed the bartender's attention shift. She offered the other a smile as she set off to see to another customer and called after her, "I want answer when you come back."

The Inarta munched through the last of her cheese, sipping some wine as she finished and marveling at the way the tastes worked together. It was far from being an unpleasant experience and she'd wished she'd learned of it sooner before she'd run out of cheese. Sighing, she waited for Izuyanai's return, contemplating getting some more cheese from her when she came back.
Nari | Common

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next