Solo Wood and Line

Shimoje makes a basic construct!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Wood and Line

Postby Shimoje on May 6th, 2016, 9:49 pm

The Wooden Construct 77-81 Spring 516 A.V.

Day 77 spring
Shimoje sat in the silence of his apartment, this time at his table – thinking of what could possibly be satisfactory to animate for Clyde Sullins. Throughout the past few days Shimoje had been curious in the basics of anatomy and movement. He even went through the process of dissecting an injured rat. He spent the past few days doing nothing but painstakingly drawing various design concepts for his future creation.

“The basic centrobaric force will have to remain free of motion.” He had stated mostly to himself. “The machine must utilize some sort of malleable material to allow this motion.” He pondered as he thought what could possibly allow such a thing. The basics of a pulley allowed string and weight to function as a moving force, and screws would allow the combination of said devices.

Shimoje began to construct the basics of a drawing on paper. He remembered the anatomy of various pycons and how their clay shapes had allowed motion, but ultimately it was their size that he thought was the most unique. Most never stood over 7 inches. With his resources he knew that he could not make something much larger regardless.

The first drawing consisted of a specific sizes relative to his own body but scaled down on a drastic scale. He used numbers from basic measurements of his own body parts and using logic devised a scaled drawing of each segment of the body. The whole device would stand at around 7.5 inches. Off and on it took him around two days just to formulate the basic concepts of what this device would be. Finally, he was happy with the rough draft of the device. Overall there were 17 final pieces connected in segment by either rope or metal. He was not sure how that would work currently, but figured that rope not allow enough rigidity.

Speech Thoughts
Last edited by Shimoje on May 6th, 2016, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

Imagetest test testtest testtestesteste testtettttttt Image

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Words: 301120
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Wood and Line

Postby Shimoje on May 6th, 2016, 9:50 pm

The Wooden Construct

Day 78-80

Secret :
(Please note that when Shimoje was out and about he ran into Hwyn and Ferrin at the marketplace on the 80th of spring. The timeline does coincide correctly! Post is here Time calls for Shopping!)

With his basic knowledge on metalsmithing Shimoje figured that a simple aluminum springs coil could be formed and shaped to run through the body pieces of the overall construct. For this he would have to go purchase the material. Shimoje got up with a sigh and headed out of his apartment.

Finally reaching the ironworks he was approached by a peculiar man “Yes? How may we help you?” he had said to Shimoje. “I am looking for an aluminum coil or spring. I would need considerable amount though, as if on a spool and not formed into a spring yet.” Shimoje detailed. “Oh you mean like that which would be on a blade spring?” the man simply questioned “I believe that I can provide you with that. How much would you require?”

Without his drawing on hand Shimoje was at a loss for words. He stood there and pondered his creation for a bit. It would only be able 7.5 inches tall, but he wanted enough material to experiment with and potentially use. “I think that 56 inches should be more than enough.” Shimoje said. “It might take some time for me to craft such an amount. Come back later tonight and I should have the material ready. I estimate it will be around 6gm.”

Shimoje was alright with the price and walked back to his apartments. He sat back at his table and figured it would be a good time to whittle away the main pieces of his device. Grabbing some of his harder wood, he would sat on his chair and began to whittle away at the very small pieces following the calculations on his drawing.

The first piece he worked on was the head which was about 3cm in the rough form of an elliptical. He started the piece first with rough edges and a square block cut using his carver’s knife. The shape then had to be filed down using more of his detailed and curved knives. The second piece was the torso which was around 3.5cm by 3cm. Almost the size of the head but shaped more to four sides like a complete square. Next the arms and legs which were even smaller. The amount of shrill detail these pieces required were almost unbearable for Shimoje. His hands and fingers grew tired from the small woodwork. Each piece ranged between 4cm long by 1cm wide with different sizes reflecting the forearm, upper arm, and longer for the legs. The next piece was simple enough, an octagon shaped piece that was 3cm by 2cm.

The hardest to detail were the feet and the hands. The pieces were incredibly small and very hard to take shape. Many of the small pieces had to be scrapped and started over again due to cutting completely through the wood. Eventually he had crafted the necessary pieces but they weren’t of perfect symmetry when compared to one another.

Now the hard part. Shimoje had to find a way to run the aluminum line through the pieces and to connect to one another. By this time night had already begun to approach, and without the necessary tools he wouldn’t be able to run the line through the wood. Shimoje sighed and headed back to the ironworks.

There the man he had ordered the stuff from earlier had approached him “Ah, here you go, I wound the aluminum line on this spool, I hope this will suffice!” he said handing it to Shimoje.

Upon inspection Shimoje smiled and said “Would you happen to have an extra iron drill that I can purchase as well?”

“I might, why do you ask? Nevermind. Here. Your total is 14gm.” Shimoje took the simply drill and the spool and paid the man in full. He was very excited and eagerly walked back to his apartments after taking a trip into the great Bazaar.

Speech Thoughts
Last edited by Shimoje on May 6th, 2016, 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Wood and Line

Postby Shimoje on May 6th, 2016, 9:51 pm

The Wooden Construct

81 spring of 516 A.V.

Immediately he started by clamping down the pieces onto the table and took the smallest bit he could find for the iron drill. He placed the small bit onto the head and began to crank very carefully until a hole had ran completely through the head. Luckily the bit was small enough to go through without cracking the wood in half, and he performed the action slowly enough that it made a straight line through. He did this for bells on end to the other pieces.

Finally, all the pieces had holes placed in them like shown on the drawing, and he was ready to run the line through the pieces of wood. Taking a single thread of the aluminum line he started from the top of the head then to the torso.

Upon inspection of the torso he ran into a problem though. One complete strand would not run through into the different sections. He would have to cut a piece of line off and then somehow connect it on the inside of the torso. Scratching his head Shimoje cut the line and then took his delicate pliers and tried to make way into the torso, but the drilled section was too small. He would have to make bigger holes for it. Doing such he selected a new drill piece and figured that both the torso and the octagon shaped piece for the pelvis area.

Taking his pliers once again, he managed to cut off a new set of line of aluminum and laced them through the torso, pelvis, arms, and legs leaving enough slack to connect the feet and the hands. Getting a minor headache in his creation Shimoje now only needed to connect the hands and the feet, but upon his weariness of crafting he fell asleep on the table tools in hand.

The next creeped up slowly and Shimoje awoke almost embarrassed in himself. A small puddle of drool was on the table which he quickly wiped off both from his face and the table. Continuing on straight to crafting he lined up the pieces of the feet and hands on the device and then tapered off the string on the ends. Finally, he was done, or so he thought.

Picking up his small humanoid object Shimoje noticed that all the pieces fell downwards onto the line of aluminum. “Gah! Petching thing.” Immediately he had grown frustrated but came to the conclusion that the pieces needed to be tapered and tied at each end of the body parts in order to stay in place, also the whole this was not as rigid as he had desired. No way would it be able to stand up on its own.

“Maybe I should twist the line onto itself?” Shimoje asked himself. “Much like how a rope is wound?” Shimoje experimented with the line in his hand and took two sets of pliers, one set up on the table and one in his hand and began to twist all of the remaining thread upon itself. He tested the line first by trying to bend it and it was far more rigid, but still a bit malleable. “Yes this will do fine!” Shimoje cut off the desired measurements he got from the other pieces he lined up early and cut off the single line from the pieces.

Proceeding forward he continued to run the lines in a similar fashion as before, only this time after each piece had been connected he tapered off the ends with a few tight winds through the wound up line.

Now for the hands. Shimoje cut off small bits for each of the fingers and thumbs and began to tighten them against the rather extra slack emerging from the hands, and shaped them in a way that resembled a humans. “AHHHH!” Shimoje let out with relief. The construct was finally finished, and although it was rather simple, much like a doll, it was complex in its own right. “Clyde will probably think it is child’s play though.” Shimoje frowned but continued to play with the doll a bit on his table.

He set it up on it’s feet and noticed that it actually stood up, and he arranged the pieces in a variety of positions to test the strength of the line and the pieces together. They seemed to keep form to whatever position that they had. “Something doesn’t seem right though. It seems blank, and boring!” Shimoje said.

Turning back to his drawing Shimoje looked at the blank canvas on the head and the torso. “Perhaps I should carve a face, and humanize it a bit more?” Shimoje thought. Drawing some basic facial structures on the paper he finally found a few gaudy representations he liked. He went for more of a masculine feature with a strong looking chin and sulking eyes. Taking his finest woodcarver’s knives he began to carve the face carefully into the wooden construct. “There! Now you look more like something that would walk and talk!” Shimoje said, but once again a frown befell his face. “Only experienced mages can do that though. Oh well!” Shimoje threw a shrug across his shoulders and laughed from exhaustion.

Such a simple creation took many days to craft, he couldn’t believe how time flew by, and hunger finally struck. He grabbed one of his provisions and quickly demolished it before placing the construct carefully into his pack and heading out.

what it looks like
Secret :

Speech Thoughts

test

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Wood and Line

Postby Dove Brown on September 11th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Shimoje
Skills
  • Drawing 2
  • Planning 2
  • Carving 2
  • Mathematics 1
  • Carpentry 2
  • Gadgeteeing 1
Lores
  • Drawing: scaling down
  • A doll-like construct
  • Carving: shallow cuts for small pieces
Miscellaneous
  • Mizas (+/-) | -14 gm for wire and a drill

Comments: Enjoy your grades
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)