Closed Phantom's Shell

Devi embarks on a search for her patient's cure and unexpectedly meets a much-changed Sayana on a search of her own.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Phantom's Shell

Postby Devi on April 16th, 2016, 2:19 pm

Spring 70th, 516AV - Syliras, Ilythian District

Devi muttered to herself as her pale fingers danced across the thick, slightly yellowed pages of her mother’s journal. Her already tired brain read and re-read the current passage, picking out the key words and phrases as though they would suddenly impart the solution she so keenly sought.

A strangled cry sounded across the room, rousing those others present around her to shift uncomfortably. The oral reminder of her patient’s acute agony incised an impotent anger in them all. Devi ignored it as best she could, knowing the scene playing out around her intimately even without the use of her eyes. The young man’s wife sits at his side, rocking gently, wisps of mousy hair escaping from the once pristine hairstyle. The woman’s small hands clutch desperately at her skirts, wrinkling the expensive material into a fine lattice of creases. Every now and then she would reach out, forgetting herself, before widening her eyes in horror and snatching back the traitorous limb to grasp her own flesh instead, silent sobs rocking her whole form.

The Knighthood’s representative, for his part, maintains as calm an appearance as he can muster, pacing gently around the room, his attention focused on trinkets and works of art displayed proudly around the large bedchamber. Maids darted in and out of the room as silent as ghosts to bring sustenance or indeed anything that Devi requested of them, the only sign of their passing a brush of air across her skin.

Subtle signs prickle at Devi’s perception and warn her of the approach of the pacing knight once more; the gentle thud of his heavy boots on the carpeted floor, the pause at the painted family portrait, the whining creak of the floorboard slowly depressed as he approaches her and the inexplicable feeling of closeness as he paces too close past her left shoulder, edging past the desk she is working at.

Devi leaned her head deeper into her hand, longing for the solitude of her own apartment. People of this family’s standing, she had discovered, were not patient at the best of times. When their perfectly ordered world came crashing down around them they did not hesitate to use their considerable resources to rein that chaos back to equilibrium. Devi was a house-call doctor in the largest, poorest and most densely populated district in the city. She avoided the Knighthood, she avoided offers of work from the prestigious Soothing Waters and, until recently, she had avoided palatial residences and haughty occupants of the Illythian district. She visited certain patients here only to raise her funding to a point at which she could establish her own infirmary. Devi had only just begun to grasp the concept of networking amongst the powerful figures resident in Illythian and yet most of the nobles and upper-class merchants she met seemed to know something of her, or at least her skills, before she even met them.

She should be flattered. Devi didn’t think it would be all arrogance to consider herself one of the best doctors in Syliras. Yet that status amongst this complex society won her patients with medical problems just as confounding. After the sixth time she had been interrupted at home for an update on her research she had elected to just stay here, lack of sleep be damned. Her lips breathed the words on the page before her once more.

Recognisable through its walnut-toned colour and unusual ‘wet animal-fur’ aroma. If exposed to a person through broken flesh the area will become more sensitive to pain. Area and intensity dependant on dosage – duration up to four hours.

It was barely an entry. The only further mention of Phantom’s Shell in her mother’s journal was a list of the various seaweeds that went into its construction and their individual properties. Devi was proud of her level of medicinal knowledge and confident in her grounding of herbal lore but in matters of poison she was woefully ill-equipped. It wasn’t entirely by choice. The poison-crafter’s skill-set had no justifiable place in Syliras’ ironclad society and any whisper of it was greeted with suspicion or, with enough justification, execution. Lore on the subject was, as a result, sparse and thinly detailed.

“It has to be.” She muttered to herself finally.

The knight, keen to seize on any hint of progress appeared immediately at her side, eyes alert and posture ready to take action. Even the weeping wife came to an eerie stillness at the quiet words she had uttered.

“I think he’s been poisoned.” She spoke to the room.

Devi
Workaholic Syliran Doctor

Words: 223466
Joined roleplay: November 15th, 2014, 7:19 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Phantom's Shell

Postby Devi on April 16th, 2016, 2:24 pm

The man’s wife pierced Devi with her eyes, speaking with a voice strained with misuse.

“The Healers said it was an infection.”

Devi gazed into those pale orbs, seeing the edges of a new kind of fear creeping in to join the rest. She replied without raising the volume of her voice, not needing to do so in the silent room and finding she could exert just as much confidence with tone instead.

“It is, but no infection I’ve heard of would cause this level of sensitivity to pain, in this way, by itself.”

She stopped her fears from spilling into her words, not allowing herself to consider that this may simply be a new type of ailment that the Healers in the city simply lacked the number of Rak’keli’s marks to heal. Her lack of knowledge around poisons and her inability to learn more were like daggers in her mind, confidence dripping from the wounds for as long as she left them untended.

Devi breathed deeply, a faint new wave of adrenaline energising her worn body and mind now that she had decided on a course of action. She hastily scribbled the ingredients which she knew Sahfri in the marketplace would stock and stood, packing her things away with one hand and holding the list of ingredients out to the attentive knight with the other.

“Obtain the ingredients on this list from Stormhold Salves in the marketplace and await my return at Soothing Waters.”

The knight, happy for something to do and likely even happier to be out of the depressing chamber nodded and set himself to his task at once. Devi finished packing away her things even as the Lady stood and addressed her, features torn in panic and confusion.

“Where are you going? You need to fix this!”

Devi didn’t stop, responding even as she was walking out of the door.

“I'm going to get the last ingredient.”

She refrained from explaining that the ingredients she was gathering were to make the poison itself rather than the miracle cure that her patient would be wishing for. Basic as her knowledge was she understood that poisons were, at their simplest, causing a chemical reaction in the body. She needed to find something that would neutralise that reaction. Devi could only hope that her medicinal and herbal knowledge were supplement enough to aid her in formulating an antidote. She couldn’t even allow herself to consider that she might be wrong.

In a relatively short time she had made her way to the city stables where she snapped at the stablehands until they had her Nightwalker saddled and ready to go. The pace she set heading north of the city was a little faster than Devi was really experienced enough to risk. Still, she trusted in Rhavu’s dark, shifting form and keen mind to carry her true. Together they followed the sharp tang of salt on the air to the coastline and hopefully, the final ingredient she would need to begin her work.

Devi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Phantom's Shell

Postby Sayana on April 17th, 2016, 3:21 pm

She struck the steel once, twice, and at last on the third strike the flint created a spark. It landed in her small pile of tinder and she bent down to blow softly, ever so softly upon the spark. There was a bit of smoke and a faint whoosh of air as the tinder caught fire. Sayana smiled at the success and used a couple of extra sticks to slide the flaming tinder further within the structure of sticks she had built. It didn’t catch right away, but after adding several more thin twigs, the larger pieces of kindling began to glow and flames ran up along them.

She set a pot of water on some flat stones next to the fire and took out a bowl and a bag of oatmeal. Porridge was not the most glamorous of meals, but it lasted well in the wilds and provided a lot of substance for its weight. It would take some time for the water to boil, however, so she went back inside the tent to pull out her poison crafting kit. And more importantly, a small vial that had led her to camp so close to the sea’s coast.

The Eypharian breathed in the salty tang of the air as she sat down on a rock near the fire. She was still within the tree cover that lined the coast, but even from where she sat she could see sand mixed with dirt and the rocky outline of the shore. Holding up the small vial, she looked at the brown powder that was contained within. It looked innocent enough, but it had given a nasty wound the last time she had used it. Cautiously she opened the vial and was mildly surprised at its smell. It was like dead rabbit. Or wet dead rabbit. She put but a few grains on her finger and looked at its texture. Sort of a crumbly powder and definitely brown. Not black or white like most ashes. She would have to find the right seaweed that would produce such ashes.

One last thing. She reached into her robe to draw one of her small throwing daggers. Tipping the vial just enough, she coated less than an inch of the blade. Then she made a small cut to the index finger of her right mid. For a moment she wondered if she had been sold a fake as the blood welled up on the cut. It seemed like a normal cut but… Oh. It was then that she felt a fire blaze upon the tip of her finger. It acted surprisingly fast and she was suddenly glad she hadn’t made the cut any bigger. Part of her wanted to dunk the flesh into water, but she had to see the effects untampered. Besides, she doubted it would do much good.

With teeth clenched she wrapped her finger in a small bandage and tied it shut. The pain didn’t go away though, but thankfully the sound of boiling water distracted her. She ate in silence after she made sure to give some oats to her white horse tied up next to the tent. Her finger still stung but she focused on ignoring it. She briefly wondered how long the effects would be. But it was time to head out.

She packed up the cooking ware and set off for the beach. She wore beige pants and a red top, however it was mostly obscured by a black vest with many pockets and a black robe on top. Her boots made small imprints in the sand and as she looked out over the water her eyes fell upon the faint shadows of vegetation floating on or near the surface.

However, just as she bent down to touch the cool waves lapping at the shoreline, a faint sound of hooves caused her to turn. A striking black horse was cantering along the coast and as it drew near Sayana’s eyes fell upon the rider. The serious determined face coupled with the dark red hair tied back in a braid was almost immediately recognizable. And not particularly the person she thought she might meet today.

“Devi? Is that… you?”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Phantom's Shell

Postby Devi on April 17th, 2016, 8:23 pm

As focused as Devi had been on scanning the coastline for likely spots of aquatic vegetation (without falling off of her horse), she had completely missed the woman’s approach. She jumped a little in response to the greeting and it took a moment for her brain to register the fact that she recognised her.

Rhavu shifted a little, sensing her sudden, stiff unease and she signalled him to come to a halt, absently stroking the side of his neck as her mind processed. It was Sayana. It was a different woman than she remembered, either the last few times she had seen the Eypharian or the creature of life she had been before the stillbirth, but still it was her. Sayana who had once looked upon her with mischief and laughter, then heartbreak and anger, now regarded her with an expression Devi couldn’t even begin to read.

Devi turned her gaze back to Rhavu, steadying her hands on him and then swinging her leg over to dismount. She pulled him gently and he walked beside her. Together they approached Sayana where she had paused but even now Devi didn’t entirely know what to say.

“I uhh…” Good start. Now add more words.

“You look…” Like you’re about to either yell at me or run away.

Finally she settled on the one sentence she could actually bring herself to finish. The one thing she had been wondering about since the last time she had seen Sayana.

“I thought you left.”

If she was being honest with herself she wasn’t entirely sure if Sayana had even been alive. Aren had disappeared too and after suffering such a loss she had wondered if either of them would find the strength to continue together. To find that her friend was alive and seemingly whole was a relief but it didn't make their reunion any easier. She had too much to say and nothing to say, all at once.

In the absence of anything else she completely understood, the doctor in her couldn’t help but notice the small bandage wrapped around one of Sayana’s fingers. The ghost of a smile flickered onto her lips before vanishing again. She nodded towards the finger in question.

“You need me to fix you up?”

Devi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Phantom's Shell

Postby Sayana on April 21st, 2016, 10:21 pm

Sayana didn’t recall the Syliran doctor knowing how to ride, but the massive and rather elegant horse was quite the sight upon the coastline of rocks and sand. As Devi dismounted, it was clear that she was just as surprised to see Sayana. Good. Well, at least those who Sayana had confided her presence to hadn’t babbled that she was back in Syliras.

As Sayana was still organizing her thoughts as to what to say in response, the doctor’s sharp eye noted her bandaged finger. Immediately the Eypharian curled her hand and tucked it just out of view.

“It’s fine, really,” she replied quickly. “I’m not the doctor that you are, but I know a thing or two about bandaging things up.” The injury still hurt, and a fair bit, but as long as she didn’t touch it she could ignore the pain. It was also localized to just the tip of her finger which helped.

“And I did leave. For two seasons. A little more than that even.” Sayana explained in short bursts. To explain everything that had happened since she had left Syliras would be… overwhelming, to say the least.

“I am back now. At least for the time being. But I am not with Aren. We are no longer together.” There was a pause and she decided she ought to at least offer some sort of an apology. “I’m sorry I didn’t let you know as soon as I was back in the city. I’ve still been dealing with a lot of things personally, emotionally. I hope you’ll understand.”

For a moment she felt at a loss of what else to say, and then she noticed the heavy breathing of the Devi’s black horse. It reminded her of how urgently the doctor had been riding. “Did you have somewhere you needed to be? No one is dying, are they? I wouldn’t want to interrupt. I’m just here looking for various coastal herbs and maybe some saltwater ones too. I work for Mistress Sahfri now at the Stormhold Salves. Although I’m mostly outside the castle foraging and collecting, now that it’s spring.”

The Eypharian brightened up as she discussed her new work as an herbalist. At least that was something she was confident in and comfortable to share with the doctor. It also explained her presence out on the beach, without the nefarious undertones of seeking out a saltwater poison.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Phantom's Shell

Postby Devi on May 2nd, 2016, 2:14 pm

Devi nodded through Sayana’s brief explanations, still confused by the emotions that bubbled to the surface of her mind. The doctor had never personally experienced the kind of heartache that such an experience as Sayana’s would induce. How could she judge the best way to react to something like that? Was it selfish of her to want an explanation for it all?

Probably. Her mind chimed in, But then you should be used to it by now. Resentment dripped from the words of her mental voice but it was a reaction that she at least could understand. It was the nature of her work that, for some of her patients at least, she saw them on the worst day of their lives. Intentional or not people couldn’t help but associate her with those feelings later on.

Or perhaps you can’t help the association. Another voice piped up. Shut up brain. She thought back at it, squeezing her eyes shut for a moment to clear them. Devi needed to get her tired head back on track.

“Uh… no. At least I hope not. Whatever it is, it’s not pleasant. There isn’t a healer in the city who could purge it completely. Even I’m kinda clutching at straws here...”

She shook her head, forcing her thoughts and words back into their accustomed order.

“I have a patient up in the Illythian District. I’ve been pushing for more business around there for, well, not important. He’s been suffering with a pretty severe infection but there’s something about it that’s got the Healers stumped. Either it’s a much more severe illness than they, or I, are familiar with or there’s a facet of the whole thing that we’re missing.”

With the urgency of her task renewed Devi pulled Rhavu gently along behind her and gestured for Sayana to join her. She continued as her eyes began scouring the coastline for likely spots once more.

“He’s in really severe pain – far more than he should be from just an infection. Every time he moves, every time someone touches him… I was scouring through my medical journals for anything helpful and I found some information about a poison called Phantom’s Shell. It’s made from the ashes of…”

She trailed off as a patch of greenery caught her eye. After a moment she continued, not having found what she was looking for.

“Uh – the ashes of a few different types of seaweed.”

Devi paused, looking Sayana in the eye. She was unexpectedly urged to unload a little of her anxiety in the presence of what had been a friend, once upon a time.

“It affects people through injury but is usually localised so I would assume it affects the nerves or… Honestly I don’t know. I’m so out of my depth with this one. Who admits they know about poisons in Syliras?! I could be hauled in for questioning for even owning books that reference them.”

She shook her head, returning her attention to the water. Now was not the time for a rant about what she considered to be the stupidity of the Knighthood.

“In any case, the theory I’m working on right now is that somehow this poison is interacting with the infection… or is being carried by it somehow to a more central point in the nervous system. If I’m going to have any hope of neutralising the poison I need some of it.”

They wandered on a little ways more before Devi stopped, eyeing up another patch further out.

“Ugh. This is no good. I’m going to have to get in.”

She eyed the water dubiously. A hot bath she adored but the prospect of taking a dip in the cold, salty, murky water before them was not something she had ever aspired after. Ronan had always made fun of her for it. Easy for him to say, she grumbled, thinking of how easily his strong build powered him through the choppy waves.
Devi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Phantom's Shell

Postby Sayana on May 7th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Sayana listened as Devi described her client. With the doctor’s renewed urgency, the Eypharian followed along after her, occasionally glancing at the beautiful black horse that accompanied Devi. She made a quick glance back towards the treeline, as if checking that her own horse was alright. But on second thought, she was sure her mount would be fine.

The more the doctor talked about her client’s symptoms, the more curious Sayana grew. It sounded an awful lot like… Surprise flashed upon her face quite distinctly when Devi named the poison involved. Was it a coincidence? How had they managed to be looking for the exact same poison on the same day in the same location? The location was perhaps less of a surprise, since the seaweed obviously grew in the sea, but it was still unexpected and just a tad unsettling.

Sayana was glad that Devi looked away just around then, and the Eypharian followed the doctor’s gaze. No… maybe it wasn’t the right type of seaweed. She only had vague descriptions of the plants involved, and for a moment Sayana wondered if it would be enough to differentiate the types of seaweed. She listened as Devi distractedly described the situation.

“The knighthood certainly doesn’t take well to those who delve into poisons,” Sayana spoke keeping her voice calm and non-biased. “But they are in the city, and we’re out here. So long as you can… make the antidote.”

Part of her wanted to relieve Devi of the desperation and anxiety that she was experiencing. All she had to do was produce the small vial of the brown powder from within her vest pockets, and that would be that. But then again, the knighthood didn’t take well to those who dabbled in poisons.

“If you’re going in, I’m going in.” Sayana stated rather firmly as pulled off her black boots. “I can swim and… Petch that’s cold!” She had dipped a bare foot into the sea’s edge and felt the shivers shoot up her entire body. But now was no time to shrink at the task. She had already mentally prepared herself to go swimming in the cold, knowing that she wanted to get those seaweed samples and now it was just forcing herself to do it.

“Devi, you could gather closer to shore while I range further out. I suspect you’ll need a few different samples to see what works and the seaweed in the deeper waters might be a different type.” By now she had both feet in the water and she sucked in her breath sharply at the frigid temperatures. Carefully she began to remove her garments, starting with her black robe. Each one she placed at the water’s edge until she was standing in her undergarments. The air was still rather warm, but the contrasting water was very distinct.

“How much will you need? I can take back a handful of leaves from each distinctive plant… I once heard that the deadlier kind had thin leaves and were tipped with red or yellow.” She had come across a general description of the Phantom’s Shell seaweed but it sounded more like a collection of different seaweed rather than just one type. Variety would be their best chance and then they could sort out the details once back on dry land.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Phantom's Shell

Postby Devi on May 14th, 2016, 5:04 pm

Devi's mood brightened significantly as Sayana offered to swim out to look for the seaweed. Not only could she actually swim, unlike a certain reluctant doctor, but on a strangely practical note the Eypharian's extra limbs would really come in handy. Devi let go of Rhavu's reins and reached down to unbuckle her boots. She could at least handle wading out into the shallows to check some of the plant life there.

"Most of the ingredients you can get back in the city - some I recognised from herbal remedies and the like. There's one that I've never seen before though so I'm assuming that's what's going to give it the real kick."

She paused briefly, turning back to Rhavu and stroking the side of his neck as she spoke quietly to him.

"I need you to wait here for me - no wandering, ok?"

Devi had no illusions about her horse - she knew he wouldn't understand the exact words she was saying but in the time he had accompanied her she had found him to be an incredibly intuitive creature. His personality may be a little wild and he had no patience for riders who yanked him around by his bit but she trusted him to stick with her.

Turning her back to him she faced the shoreline once more, grimacing at the cold, lapping water near her feet. Sayana had already stripped down to her undergarments and was getting stuck straight into the task at hand. Devi almost smiled at the thought - At least that much hasn't changed.

"Oh!" She exclaimed, "I almost forgot! I read something that might help - apparently there's this uh... ok this is going to sound really weird but, I read that there's a certain type of sea-slug that loves this seaweed. A uh... a glowing, sea-slug. Purple and glowing."

Devi stopped by the edge of the water and couldn't help but let out an exasperated chuckle.

"I have no idea if that part of it was just the result of some very potent drugs on the writer of this journal but it should give you some idea of my state of mind right now that I'm relying on it."

She gingerly tested the water with her feet and snatched her toes back at the cold shock. Devi grimaced again and then marched straight into the shallows, shivering with more than just the temperature as she did so.

"Hell the glowing slugs would probably come in handy for... something. Heh, maybe I could breed them in my future infirmary. No need for torches and fire everywhere then."

Devi shook her head, noticing at last that she was beginning to ramble. She told herself that she needed to get some sleep once she had the seaweed, to get her wits back if nothing else. The sodden plants would need time to dry out before she burned them anyway.

She focused her attentions instead on some of the floaty plants near the shore, sifting through them for anything she vaguely recognised. She spoke to fill the silence, deciding to ask questions rather than expanding on her possible uses for glowing sea-slugs.

"So how come you gave up dancing? I didn't figure you much for an herbalist's life. Too much sitting still and quiet time."
Devi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Phantom's Shell

Postby Sayana on May 25th, 2016, 10:15 pm

Sayana splashed into the shallows sucking in air as the chill shot through her body. “I might have to be quick if the water’s going to stay this cold,” the Eypharian called out with a laugh as she turned back to the doctor. When Devi noted the sea slug, Sayana nodded vigorously and scanned the dark waters. “Purple glowing sea slug. Got it.”

When she had reached about waist height into the sea, she did one last glance around before leaping forwards into the water. With a loud splash and a gasp from the cold, Sayana started swimming as fast as she could out through the choppy water. Her first surprise was the sudden and strong salty taste of just a mere droplet or two of water. She pushed at the water with her arms and dunked her head under. It was refreshing even if it was really really cold, and she kept kicking hard to hopefully warm up.

Glowing sea slugs… glowing sea slugs… Sayana dunked her head underwater once more and tried opening her eyes. But the sudden sharp pain caused her to close them almost immediately and she found herself with a mouthful of salt water. Spluttering to the surface she coughed a couple times and wiped at her eyes. “It’s really hard to see anything,” she commented aloud. Even in that split tick when she had her eyes open in the water, it had been rather dark and she wasn’t sure if she could even see the bottom.

Instead of focusing too hard on the slugs, she chose a bit of floating greenery and made it her goal to reach it. Her high and mid arms swept horizontally through the water while her lows paddled along underneath her. When Devi asked about what made her stop dancing, Sayana hesitated before giving a response. But the doctor’s next words prompted an easy answer.

“Do you call this sitting around and being quiet?” Sayana joked playfully in the water and made an attempted wave with her high hands.

Suddenly she felt something clutching at her ankle. Wrapping, twisting. She kicked fiercely at it for a tick or two, but when she swam forwards, she encountered more snake-like tentacles closing in on her. Her heart raced until she realized it was just the sea weed that she had been looking for. Diving down, she reached out blindly then chanced a small peek before grabbing hold of the thick vegetation. For a moment she wished she had brought a knife, but with a good tug she managed to pull off several leaves.

“Got some!” She called out and proceeded to gather more of the sea weed while avoiding getting her legs caught in the long vines. The water was growing decently warmer and she wasn’t sure if she was just getting more accustomed to the water, or whether she was starting to feel numb from the cold. Best not chance it. With that in mind she worked more quickly and separated out each clump of seaweed into her different hands.

Just when she thought she wasn’t going to find any of those purple slugs, there was a faint glow near a cluster of large rocks. At first she thought it was a trick of her eye but when she neared the rocks there was definitely some sort of light coming up from the depths.

“Devi, I think I found something.” Sayana called out. “I’ll be right back to shore after this.” Promptly she dived down and forced her eyes open in search of the faintly glowing sea slugs.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Phantom's Shell

Postby Devi on June 5th, 2016, 12:40 pm

Devi bit her tongue on responding to Sayana as the woman dove once more into the icy water. She didn’t know how the Eypharian did it so easily. Nothing about this murky pool had encouraged her to learn to swim over the years. Still, she supposed the additional limbs must be helpful.

The young doctor shivered again and jumped as something slimy brushed across her legs. Crouching down carefully she pulled the strands of seaweed aside to get a better look at it. It was a variation of browns and greens, not likely to be the ones she was looking for and harbouring no glowing slugs. Still, she could ask for assistance at Soothing Waters once she had samples of everything. Someone in the city would be able to help her and she was determined to find out who.

Using her knife she cut a few fronds loose, looking at them in disgust when a handful clung to her hands and wrist, dripping water in thin streams back into the sea. She plodded back to the shore and extracted some jars from her back on Rhavu’s side. She opened one awkwardly and shook her hand vigorously to loose the wet foliage from her arm.

She packed the jar away then and prepared another one, awaiting Sayana’s return to the shore. As she stood thee her mind could not help but wander back to her old friend and all the unanswered questions she posed. Devi couldn’t quite put her finger on what but something didn’t sit right with it all. Perhaps it was just the stark difference in her old friend’s visage now compared to what it used to be.

The Sayana she once knew never seemed to look over her shoulder, she eventually decided, at least not to Devi. She had always been the first with a smile on her face or a quip on her lips. That wasn’t just her happy nature before but comfort, ease. When Devi had first lain eyes on Sayana today what had struck her was that she appeared wary, coiled as though ready to strike or to bolt. That was more than an absence of joy. As the woman in question approached Devi blurted out a question without truly intending to.

“Sayana are you safe?”

The doctor wasn’t even sure if she meant to ask if Sayana herself was safe or if everyone else was safe from her. Perhaps a little of both.

NoteSorry if it's a little introspective again - I'm struggling to progress the story outside of Devi's internal debate about all this. I hope that's ok! Let me know if there's anything else about the herbs/poisons you want to cover and feel free to end things on good terms or bad!
Devi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next