Closed Bashing Shields (Samuel Longwell)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Bashing Shields (Samuel Longwell)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on June 10th, 2016, 1:21 am

Timestamp: Fifth of Summer 516av

It was fairly warm and sunny. As Synas light shown about Syliras and the rest of Mizahar precious land the people so dearly love. A land of which contains if both good and evil doers. Mankind that is also different and people have changed in ways that could never be imagined.

The capital of the Syliran domain, Syliras. The home of Sylir and the Windoak and the home of the Order that is occupied by a group of knights, squires, and pages of all sorts. By sorts; meaning race and gender. The people even. A man swathed in metal armor clung to his short broadsword with haste as he whacked the blade against the wooden dummie.

Ser Xervos, a Knight that's an uncle of the man swinging the blade stood just a few steps behind Ferrin. Observing him with a look of question and curiosity. Waiting for him to strike with the right pose. The dirt beneath the men kicked up as they walked ever so slightly. The archs above allowed enough of Synas light in to make the roof of the Training Grounds feel more open then segregated.

Ser Xervos stood disgusted and he cocked a brow. "That's how you swing a blade? I thought I've showed you how to swing a blade. Your form with the shield is weak. Keep your feet up and use more thrusts." The Knight barked as he walked around to Ferrins side. Ferrin sighed slightly and nodded. He gripped tightly onto his shield and pretended to prevent a strike from hitting his chest. Ferrin thrusted his blade at the dummie it struck hard against the already chipped wood. Then he withdrew.

"Maybe you'll learn better by fighting someone else instead of someone who can't fight back, eh?" The Knight said to no one in particular. He was merely thinking out loud and was lost in thought. Their wasn't much people out this early in the morning. A few others were sparing and what not. Then, another few were sharpening their blades. Ferrin didn't see anyone, not yet. Until another man was alone on the other side of the Grounds. Ferrin didn't know what he was doing, though maybe Ferrin could spar with him? "What about him?" Asjed Ferrin simply. Pointing his blade at the man across the Grounds.

"Sure, sure." Ser Xervos said in reply as he started to walk over. "Hey you? I haven't seen you here for awhile. Would you like to train with my Squire here. He needs a little... Help with his shield work. Can you?"

Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 18th, 2016, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Samuel Longwell on June 11th, 2016, 11:50 am

Bashing Shields

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel's gaze drifted round the training grounds as he entered, resting briefly on Ser Xervos watching a man strike at a practice dummy. “That'll be his squire”, Samuel thought, “I have a feeling they're related in some way?”. Samuel watched as the squire thrust at the dummy, he was quick and he handled the sword well, however his technique with a shield was poor. Samuel smiled to himself, the squire had a long way to go, but he would make a fine knight. Samuel put the pair out of his mind as he focused on his own training. He had recently come to the conclusion that he needed to become more proficient at unarmed combat, there were times when being able to subdue a person without using a weapon would be helpful. Approaching the dummy he put his hands up in the approximation of a fighting stance. As he drew close he struck with his hand, striking the dummy with the palm of his gauntlet. For the next few minutes he continued with the same simple move, striking the dummy with one hand, then the other.

Samuel turned as he heard someone calling, and saw Ser Xervos approaching. “Aye”, replied Samuel, “I can do that, I'll come and join you.” Wandering over, Samuel smiled at the squire, “I'm Samuel, nice to meet you lad”. He looked the squire up and down, the young man was tall and well built, standing nearly as tall as Samuel. In terms of brute strength Samuel assumed he'd have the edge, but the squire was younger and probably faster. Samuel readied himself in a defensive position, shield forward, and waited for the squire to do the same. “As you get tired your form will get sloppy, try and keep your shield held up in front of you no matter how tired you are,” Samuel said, “Let me know when you're ready.” As soon as the squire was ready, Samuel leapt forward and shoved with his shield, trying to taking the squire off balance. He followed through with a basic overhand slash with his sword, trying to strike the squire's left shoulder.
Last edited by Samuel Longwell on June 15th, 2016, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Words: 219143
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on June 12th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Timestamp:

Ser Xervos watched the man before him wander across the Training Grounds. His metal boot tapping against the dirt flooring as he came nearer, inch by inch. Ferrin watched and stood upright beside his patron. Samuel seemed to have scanned Ferrin.

It wasn't odd to Ferrin. He did the same as the older man did. He appeared old in a way. He kind of reminded Ferrin as a friend he knew, Shimoje. The slightly near bald headed adventuresome man. He wondered if Samuel would be the same. "Hey, I'm Ferrin nice to meet you." Said the squire cordially and stuck out his hand for a shake.

Instead of choosing one of the arenas that displayed a more wild life manner, Samuel choose to spar right where they were. Ferrin nodded and prepared himself. Getting I to his usual stance with shield nearest his chest and sword raised and in front of shield. His right foot behind his blade, but kept in front of him.

"I'm ready." He said simply, waiting for Samuel to strike with his weapon. Samuel leaped and attempted a shield bash. Something like his friend Garland would attempt. Ferrin shifted to the side, just almost missing the edge of the shield. Ferrin did his best to regain his balance before Samuel attempted a slash with his sword. Ferrin poised his shield up for a block, the metal rang through his ears and vibrated across his hand and left arm. Tensing his muscles more so.

It was Ferrins turn to counter attack. With Samuel on the side of the advantage, Ferrin was hoping to change that. Ferrin used his blade and thrusts upwards. Hoping to catch the Knight off guard. He would then attempt a shield bash and plant his feet firmly on the ground. If that failed however, Ferrin would use a vertical slash to catch the man off balance, if he fell. Ferrin would poise his blade at the throat of Samuel. If only the vertical slash worked.[/center]
Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 18th, 2016, 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on June 12th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

As Ferrin's shield came up to block his slash, Samuel had already began to move away from the expected counter attack. However, Ferrin's blade moved faster. Samuel barely had time to turn the blade aside with his shield before stepping back to give himself some more room. Noticing that Ferrin was fixing his feet firmly, Samuel braced himself, and as Ferrin shield bashed he met it head on with his own shield. The force of the blow pressed Samuel back, and he stumbled to one knee, his left arm going slightly numb. He gave a wry smile and cursed quietly to himself. He'd underestimated Ferrin, Samuel would try to make sure he didn't do that again. Samuel lifted his shield over his head and managed to block the downward slash.

Samuel pretended to go for a shield bash, hoping that it would give him some breathing room. He stood to his feet and took several steps back while guarding his body with his shield. Samuel decided he would try something different on his next attack, try and work out if Ferrin had any major flaws in his shield technique. He advanced, jabbing quickly with his sword two times, while keeping his shield close to his body. As he did so he circled round Ferrin clockwise, moving towards his sword arm and hoping that Ferrin would leave himself exposed. Samuel jabbed again before pulling his shield back into a guarded position.
Last edited by Samuel Longwell on June 15th, 2016, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on June 13th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Timestamp:

As Ferrin attempted his own shield bash as a counter attack, Samuel used his own shield once again. The shields bashed and the vibration echoed throughout Ferrin and he let out a low growl. His slash just missed Samuel as he lightly lost balance from the shield bashing. Ferrin took a few breathers and as Samuel stepped back, Ferrin took that time to readjust himself.

Samuel started to circle the Kenashian clockwise. Trying to face Ferrins blade. So he figured. The Kenashian circled around Samuel as best he could. Ser Xervos was about thirty paces behind the two, circling and specating. Once the two met, Samuel thrusts his blade towards Ferrin. Ferrin used his own blade to parry the attack. Then Samuel reverted into a defensive position.

Ferrin took this time to reconfigure his position. He planted his feet firmly and resided into a defensive position, only to shuffle forwards lightly. Be thrusts his blade on the lower part of one of Samuels sides. Hoping to strike. If parried or missed, he would then attempt another shield bash, hoping to catch Sam off guard.[/center]
Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 18th, 2016, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on June 15th, 2016, 10:52 am

Samuel Thoughts Others

“He deflected my blade well enough with his own blade, his sword-work is good enough that he won't fall for simple tricks like that.” Samuel thought to himself as Ferrin also took time to take a breath. “ Maybe I can try something completely unexpected and surprise him though”. Samuel lifted his shield as the squire began to advance, and stepped forward to meet him. Samuel managed to deflect the thrust, but the blade continued down and scratched Samuel's greaves. Samuel saw Ferrin drawing back his shield and decided to again meet it with his own shield. Taking a half step to his left, Samuel put his weight behind his shield as Ferrin struck. The shields bounced off each other and Samuel decided now was the time to act. Sparring was a good time to try new things.

“Whatever happens, after this move I am going to end up on the floor.” Samuel said to himself as he threw his shield above Ferrin's head, hoping it would fall on the squire's helmet. “All I can hope is that he ends up on the floor with me”. Hoping that the shield flying towards Ferrin would distract him, Samuel dived at Ferrin's legs with the intent of tripping him over. “It's hardly the most knightly move, but the lad won't always be fighting people with honour,” Samuel said to himself with a smile.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on June 17th, 2016, 12:43 am

Timestamp:

Samuel had been good with deflecting Ferrins attacks. Every block, Ferrin learnt a few things about this Samuel. So far, he undermined all of the Knights weaknesses assuming he had none. Though, Samuel was really creative in a slight manner of which that agitated Ferrin. No need for delicacies. Thought Ferrin as the two met shield and shield once more.

The Kenashian sighed heavily and stepped back. Samuel took his steps back and regained his composure, Ferrin was eyeing him through his visor. Watching. Watching his every move, waiting for his stri-

Then it came. An unexpected, but a bit seeable attempt to throw Ferrin off guard. Samuel thrown a shield at him. Not any shield, but his own. Ferrin seen it fly towards him, just barely, Ferrin managed a Dodge as he shifted to the side. Though distracted still, Ferrin slightly nwatched the shield whizz by his face. He didn't see Samuel rushing and diving after him.

Out of the corner of his eye through the visor, Ferrin speculated Samuel rushing after him. "Petch." He thought to himself wearily. When Samuel made contact at Ferrins legs Ferrin slipped and toppled over the Knight cursing mildly to himself. "That was ignorant." Said Ferrin childishly as he rolled off of the Knight. "You won't get lucky doing that all the time." Ferrin helped himself up and picked up his blade that fell across the dirt floor. He then sheathed it, ignoring the dirt and muck over the steel. He'll have to clean it later.

The Kenashian handed Samuel one of his hands to help him up. "That was game, thanks. Here let me help you up." Said Ferrin. When the two were both standing, Ferrin relieved his helmet and carried it against his side with one arm (not the shield hand) holding it protectively. "Whats your name again? I'm Ferrin by the way." Said the Kenashian with his intent focusing on the battle he'd practically forgotten the Knights name. It won't happen again though.[/center]
Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on November 18th, 2016, 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on June 19th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel felt a surge of triumph as he toppled Ferrin over, the two crashing to the ground as their armour bashed together loudly. He grinned mischievously and said apologetically “I'm sorry about the dirty fighting, but hopefully you won't fall for tricks like that in the future. If your opponent does something reckless like throwing a shield you should expect something tricky to follow.” Samuel took the graciously offered hand and pulled himself up. “Aye, I enjoyed that. You fight well, keep working at it and you'll be a fine knight. You make your shield bashes a little too obvious though which makes them easy to predict.” Samuel advised.

Samuel sheathed his own sword and smiled as the squire asked his name again. “Samuel.” he replied, “I'm glad I was able to help out by sparring with you Ferrin. I'd be happy to do so again, I'm on the third tier so you can find me easy enough. I'll also be here fairly regularly too so we may bump into each other.” The tall knight reached his hand out to shake the squire's hand, already feeling his muscles starting to complain from their exertion in the fight. “I'll sleep well tonight” he thought to himself as he rubbed his shield arm and started to walk back to his apartment.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Dove Brown on November 18th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Samuel Longwell
Skills
  • Observation 1
  • Weapon: Shield 2
  • Weapon: Longsword 2
  • Unarmed Combat 2
  • Tactics 2
  • Endurance 2
  • Teaching 2
Lores
  • Tactics: don't underestimate opponents
  • Ferrin: a squire
  • Ferrin: better than he looks
  • Throwing a shield
  • Some people fight dirty
Miscellaneous
  • Shield points +2 (training), +1 (training another knight's squire)

Ferrin
Skills
  • Weapon: Short Broadsword 3
  • Weapon: Shield 2
  • Acrobatics 1
  • Tactics 1
Lores
  • Samuel: a knight
  • Coping with a shield bash
  • Some people fight dirty
Miscellaneous
  • Shield points +2 (training)

I'm sorry, but I can't grade you until you have a readable font. Also, some of your posts are centered, which is not permitted in rp posts.

Comments:
Enjoy your grades
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)