Monster Idea - Living Knowledge

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Aaliyah Tabr on December 13th, 2015, 12:44 am

All this hype about world development has got me digging up some stuff I came up with a while back. I've got one solid idea and two kinda extreme ideas, so I'm gonna go hard for a bit. Here's the pitch for one of the extreme ideas:

Living ideas. A chavi that tangles itself up in another person's chavi like some kind of parasitic vine. The parasite chavi starts to interfere with the host chavi, causing strange dreams, intrusive thoughts, and false memories.

I figure they'd work as valterrics. Maybe they once belonged to people that died in a sufficiently weird way that their chavi could no longer attach to their soul? This would also raise the question of what happened to the soul - might be interesting to make something out of those.

An alternate angle would be they're wizards. A sufficiently mad and sufficiently clever wizard might see the chavena as an alternative to the traditional cycle of reincarnation, or straight-up immortality. So they do something that lets them live on as their parasitic chavi and hijack living people by somehow absorbing or supplanting the host chavi.

The craziest angle would be to call them small gods, or maybe fragment monsters. Dangerous free-floating truths in the chavena.

But yeah the general concept is: An idea - not necessarily even a true, sane, or coherent idea - that is alive and wants to spread. Once it finds a host and attaches to their chavi, its feeding appears as a growing obsession in the host. The idea will appear in their dreams, in their thoughts, in their memories - it will be a literally consuming obsession.

And then, whether we chalk it up to human nature or influence from the parasite, it starts to spread! The host's obsession drives them to shout about it in the streets waving a sign, or preach it in churches, or write a best-selling novel, or just in a casual conversation go "Oh dude bro mate friend-o I gotta tell you about this crazy dream I had last night."

If someone else starts to consider the idea, the parasite has an opportunity to take their chavi and start to feed on it too. I'm not really up on the proper language for describing the chavena - we could call it a feeding signal, or feelers/tendrils the parasite spreads out to grasp at adjacent chavi. The person considers the idea, which means the idea enters their chavi as an experience, thought, or memory. The stronger or more frequent the experience, the stronger the hold on the person's chavi until it's as attached to the parasite as the first host chavi.

The idea-obsession has now consumed two people, and they go on to spread it to others. The more chavi the idea is part of, the less likely it is that the idea will be unhooked and left to find a new host if one of its hosts forgets to eat, or gets so wrapped up in their thoughts that they walk off a cliff.

The concept has a lot of potential uses, I think! Zeltiva has that whole forbidden library - maybe some of those books are forbidden for a very good reason. Maybe some past host wrote it down somewhere, and reading about it gives the idea a foothold in your chavi. There's this whole 'forbidden knowledge' vibe going around in a few places and these could be part of it.

A growing parasite could manifest as a weird cult. It could be used to spice up a dungeon crawl with some dark, dangerous knowledge and creepy fanatics. On a larger scale, an out-of-control infection could appear as a radical social movement, or a revolution, or a plague of riots.

It opens interesting possibilities for various gnosis wielders. They might be abominations to Nysel for Dreamwalkers to destroy or avoid. If shadows have chavi, Night Walkers might risk meeting infected shadows that are too eager to share a secret that resists being kept, or the secret-keeping compulsion of the Night Walking mark could make a perfect prison for it. Followers of Eyris might resort to book-burning because these things consume knowledge and spread madness and misinformation.

Aurists might be able to detect a parasite before it can grow out of control. Perhaps most interestingly in the wizarding department, containing virulent knowledge like this would give Hypnotists something noble and non-creepy to do.

Lots of potentially cool stuff here! Also lots of potentially no-no stuff here, like involving chavi lore. What do y'all think? Does this sound interesting? Plausible?
Aaliyah Tabr
Harlot

Words: 17646
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2015, 1:52 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on December 13th, 2015, 1:37 am

I love the Chavi idea! That's like... the bomb!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Azmere on December 13th, 2015, 2:50 am

Aaliyah, you may be a genius because I don't think I've read anything like it. You should absolutely run with this.
Attn: GradersObservation is maxed. Thank you for all your hard work.

where do you go when you don't know who you are?
Azmere
Seeker of the Lost

Words: 754081
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Anthere on December 13th, 2015, 3:41 am

YES YES YES DO IT

(sorry caps)
Anthere
Player

Words: 22788
Joined roleplay: October 18th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nivel on December 18th, 2015, 2:28 am

Awesome please do this, It's wonderful O__O
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Ball on January 20th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Any head way on this? I am curious
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes