Closed Angle Is Everything. (Samuel Longwell)

Alex takes a well deserved day from the events in his life when he meets someone he didn't expect to see.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Angle Is Everything. (Samuel Longwell)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on November 23rd, 2016, 2:12 pm

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

Observation served a hunter well…Hell being attentive to every detail served exceptionally well, regardless of profession. Alex just happened to have the perfect tool to combine with that. With the pair of them now low and slow Alex shifted his positioning, his bow flat and the arrow resting atop it to minimize the sound of the drawstring. He pulled the line taught and waited slow breaths, calculated instances of watching He glanced up at the trees to watch the leaves sway. The gentle rocking of the last vestiges of golden and red lingering as Alex took note.

In the slow wind he now knew why some hunters took either incense or tobacco with them to help them adjust and gauge the wind speed. However Alex had more than enough tools around him to do the same. He lifted his bow a half inch from the target he was aiming at allowing the wind to sweep the shot backwards. He let the arrow fly the thick haft tearing across the distance toward the stag. The thick bold of an arrow trailed by and stabbed into the flanks of the beast. The sheer weight of the arrow punching through both sides of the beast and holding in place. The arrow firmly locking both of the stags legs together and in place. Alex let Samuel take his shot now, He’d immobilised it and now it was up to Samuel to put the beast out of its misery one way or another.

If Samuel missed however Alex would regretfully take the final sweep of his blade across the beasts throat himself. His blade drew firmly from its sheath the short dagger curved in the reverse offering better action for reverse draw cuts or defence. Less raw aggression, but utility. After all, Alex was versatile if nothing else.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Samuel Longwell on December 2nd, 2016, 4:43 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

Alex's arrow struck the buck just as Samuel released his shot. It flew true, piercing the animal's flank. The animal fell, seriously wounded by the two shafts of wood that protruded from it's body. Samuel started forward, knowing that the deer was in pain, but the squire got there first. Alex's blade economically slashed the dying animal's throat, putting the stag out of it's misery. “It looks like you're well practised at that.” Samuel commented, referring to the killing blow. The squire handled his blade with a deftness that belied his size, making Samuel feel clumsy in comparison. It seemed to Samuel that Alex was more at home out here among the stillness of the woods, rather than the hustle and bustle of the loud city. Samuel on the other hand felt like he was an intruder every time he entered the woods. His loud footfalls and weaknesses in regard to navigation meant he was more at home in the great city of his birth. But in his line of work he needed to be able to thrive in all sorts of circumstance so he was working to improve in such areas, even if the progress was slow.

Turning to the squire he said, “So what are you doing out here lad? Has much happened for you since we sparred?” With those words he turned to the stag carcass and tried to work out how best to get it back to the city. It probably needs to be carried on someone's back, the knight thought. Pulling the arrows out of the animal, he slung it onto his back. It was a heavy load, but not unbearable. Samuel shifted the weight until it was comfortable on his back and then turned to Alex. “What now?” he asked, a simple acknowledgement of the younger man's greater experience in hunting.
Last edited by Samuel Longwell on December 3rd, 2016, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Words: 219143
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on December 3rd, 2016, 4:35 pm

The gout of blood that spread across the chilled earth was enough to allow a plume of steam to rise. Alex’s eye looked into the stags own as he patted the side of its face softly. All they said to the beast was I’m sorry and you’ll be alright soon. Sam’s voice broke the silence as Alex wiped the edge of his blade lightly off against the fur of the beast. Well practiced… Alex smirked almost looking at Sam out the corner of his eye.
“I learned to hunt from a young age. Was either that or you don’t eat, far as… My father. Was concerned.” The pause before and after the words of his father enough to let Sam know two things clearly. One he hated him as the vitriol in his words at that point spoke, and secondly he didn’t even want to call him that. The simplicity of his words and his usual quiet tone of voice enough to let Sam know that Alex didn’t have to put on airs to seem like he belonged, and Sam seemed to easily have picked up on that fact.

Much happened since they sparred? A little.
“A few things. Nothing solid yet but enough for me nothing ever is.” Alex spoke with a soft roll and another accent change, this time it wasn’t the easy to pass off Syliran inflection, rather this time he adorned the subtle elegance and sharpness of his homeland’s tone. A Ravokian accent one that was hard to fake, and harder to lose entirely. However now Alex had switched to it his softness almost seemed to fit seeming instead of just gentle friendly words to be a genuinely absorbing tone. Almost hypnotic in sound but without the actual magic.

“As for what now you’re carrying an eighty pound buck over your shoulder like a dead log. I’m used to just butchering the beasts out in the forests but I think we should take the poor beast in fully and see what we can get done with it.” Alex’s voice still held his Ravokian inflection as he slung the bow over his shoulder and slid the knife back into it’s sheath.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on December 5th, 2016, 8:49 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

The knight nodded, he had forgotten that Alex used to be a hunter. It sounded like the squire hadn't had much choice in the matter however. Samuel's family had always wanted him to be a knight, but it had been his desire as well so he had never felt forced into becoming a squire. Samuel was confused by how a parent could be so harsh to their child. He understood the fact that everyone needs to work hard to pull their weight, but the knight couldn't bear the thought of a child going hungry. The undisguised hatred in the younger man's tone heightened the knight's distress, clearly Alex had not had a particularly pleasant childhood. He hoped that this had not happened in Syliras, the knight was aware of the fact that the order could not prevent all wrongdoing within the walls but it still galled him whenever he was reminded of the fact.

The shifting inflection in the other's voice made Samuel turn inquisitively. “You know a fair few accents huh?” the knight asked. “That one sounds familiar but I can't quite place it. It's certainly not too common in Syliras.” He wondered if the shifting accents were more than just a surface issue, was the man beside him struggling with some kind of identity crisis. The knight shrugged, he didn't know enough about Alex to tell what was going on inside his mind. Perhaps he just enjoyed confusing those around him. The knight's face cracked into a grin at the comment about the animal on his back. “Aye, I don't want to be carrying this thing for any longer than I need to.” he chuckled. The pair set back off towards the city. Samuel tried his best to place his feet quietly, but the increased load meant he cracked even more twigs than usual. It seemed like moving through a forest quietly was even more difficult after a successful hunt. “How do you manage to stay so quiet?” Samuel asked of his companion, clearly impressed by Alex's modest ability to move stealthily. “I feel like a complete lumbering oaf in comparison.” The knight sighed, even after all his training with Inartus he was still very inexperienced with the skills required to survive in a forest environment.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on December 6th, 2016, 12:53 pm

“Learning to blend in happens both inside and outside the cities Sam.” Alex smirked at Samuel’s comment about his accents. “The one I’m falling back on now is my native one. And the reason it isn’t common in Syliras is because it’s Ravokian.” Alex let those words hang in the air for a chime. Let them linger like the empty swaying that followed the boughs of the trees. Though Sam’s comments made it seem like he didn’t fully have his own bearings on the situation, then again he was hauling an eighty pound buck over a single shoulder like it was nothing.
“I could sell you all the snake oil in the world about how to be quiet but it comes down to three simple things. Stay low and slow, stick to the shadows, and finally be patient.” Three simple things that most knights didn’t know how to do even at the best of times. They had to stand out and be seen. Had to stand tall and be fast, and above all didn’t wait for anything. And Alex was the complete opposite of that. That alone signalled clearly the difference between himself and Samuel.

“Those three rules will translate anywhere if you implement them right. A city is just a stone forest. A desert a sandy meadow. Follow those three rules and you’ll be seen long after you’ve done what you wanted to do.” Alex almost sounded like an authority but rather it was just the air of superiority and confidence that speaking with his native inflection gave the softness of his voice. That and the way he stepped through the underbrush taking half steps with the balls of his feet unlike Sam whom he noticed was stepping heel first into the ground. As if he was grinding a path through the foliage. Like he himself was a sword cutting a path, whilst Alex was simply a breeze rolling over everything and disturbing as little as possible.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on December 15th, 2016, 7:10 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel stiffened when the squire mentioned his birthplace. Alex was from Ravok, a place whose patron deity was the god diametrically opposed to Sylir. The two cities were almost a twisted reflection of one another, on the surface many things were similar. The two cities promised safety and security, with the marked of each god in positions of power within their respective cities. But Rhysol's followers simply made dissenting voices disappear, the apparent peace enforced through assassinations and the threat of torture. Samuel had heard stories of the place and he shivered. He glanced over at the man at his side, a strange look in his eye. He considered the squire and what he knew of him. The knight remembered his companion mentioning that he served Priskil when they had first met, the goddess of hope. “I'm glad you managed to get out of there” Samuel spoke at last. “Ravok is not a place I'd wish anyone to be stuck in.” Samuel believed that a man shouldn't be judged on the place where he'd been born, not even if the place happened to be a city that encouraged slavery. The knight grimaced, eyes flashing as his hatred of the slave trade flashed to the surface. The generally calm waters of his personality raged into a sudden storm. He struggled to calm himself, breathing deeply and slowly in an attempt to meditate. But no luck, painful memories continued to come unhindered.

The question about the squire's quiet walk had been attempt to keep his mind occupied, the knight did not wish to dwell on the past. The knight nodded, the three rules certainly made sense. As long as he wasn't angry, the knight could be quite patient. However as soon as his emotions got involved he couldn't deal with prolonged inaction. Samuel gave a watery smile when Alex called cities stone forests. “I guess you're right, although you're not likely to meet a deer in the stone forest eh?” Samuel said, the weak joke an attempt to lift his own mood more than anything. It wasn't long until the pair reached the road, they weren't too far from the city gates now. Samuel's back was starting to ache but he shifted the weight and pressed on, ignoring his body's complaints.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on December 24th, 2016, 9:23 pm

Alex could see clearly the apprehension and abhorrence of where Alex had come from written upon Samuels face. Though that faded after a tick or two and was replaced with easing words that were more congratulatory than much else.
“Sadly once you’ve been there for a long while…It doesn’t easily leave.” Alex spoke without masking his Ravokian roots in his voice. “Though as much as I wish it wasn’t the case I see much of the similarities here. The same tricks in different masks.” Alex spoke with an air that belie the true feeling of his nature.

And then Alex caught a sudden intense burst of anger across his features, his hands almost moving toward his weapons. But he stopped himself holding back and checking the situation, it wasn’t anger aimed at him but rather something within his own mind. Alex knew that look. He knew it so damned well it hurt. Though the masking of the questions and even the small joke was enough to let him know he was trying to hide that anger. “Not likely to meet a deer you’re right. However you can still find snakes and other animals.” His words were more of a joking reference to certain types of people. Attempting much like Sam to alleviate the mood that had dropped on them.

The pair of them pressed into the city and Alex could see the strain in Sam’s back as he stepped through. “You’re gonna need a butcher or at least an experienced hunter to break that thing down. But either way It’s been a pleasure both playing tricks on and teaching you. Perhaps we’ll do this again sometime in the near future.” Alex offered his hand towards Samuel a small smile on his face practiced and well-meaning but without the true meaning behind it. And Alex’s accent fell back into that Syliran tone that he’d become so easily able to use.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on December 24th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel caught the hint of humour in his companion's voice, and the knight's smile became more genuine in response to the joke. The two stepped through the gates together, Samuel nodding to the guards on duty. The reassuring press of the people of the city surrounded them, he was back in his preferred environment. The knight seemed to breathe more easily, the city had made him feel safe since he was a child. It wasn't something his conscious mind truly recognised, but long durations away from his home made him uneasy. Samuel turned to Alex and returned the smile with his own good-natured grin. “Aye, I'll do that.” the knight agreed, “I've learnt a lot, from both your tricks and your lessons. I appreciate your help.”

Samuel placed the deer to one side then shook the other man's hand, then reached into his pocket and pulled out a handful of coins. “You went beyond what was required of you as a squire, I want you have these.” Samuel said, “For your half of the deer, and the lessons.” Samuel nodded in farewell then turned to go, heading over to the butchers. He strode inside, placing the deer on the counter. “Good day Dino” the knight said, greeting the butcher “I've got a buck here that needs sorting.” The butcher looked it over. “I'll give you 25 mizas for it” came the reply. The knight shook his head with a small smile. “I'm not here for the money, but I'd be glad if the orphanage could be well stocked with deer sausage for a few days.” he said, “and maybe throw in a little more as it's for a good cause?” The butcher nodded. “That can certainly be arranged, I'd expect 10lbs of venison sausage would be a fair trade for the buck. I'll send them 12lbs first thing in the morning.” The two shook on it, then the knight headed to the baths to clean off the dirt and blood that had accrued during his time hunting.

MoneyThe coins come to a total of 12GM and 4SM
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Aladari Coolwater on April 3rd, 2017, 11:39 pm

Name:Samuel Longwell

XP Award:
  • Stealth: +3
  • Tracking: +2
  • Observation: +2
  • Logic: +1
  • Hunting: +2
  • Weapon: Shortbow: + 1
  • Endurance: +2
Lore:
  • Tracking: Using Concentric Circles to Locate More Hints
  • Tracking: Footprint is Larger for Male Humans
  • Hunting: Carry Arrows on the Hip for Easy Access
  • Hunting: Ears are More Useful Than Eyes in Forests
  • Stealth: Low and Slow are Important
  • Stealth is More Difficult When Carrying Weight
  • Meditation: Useful for Managing Emotions

Penalties/Rewards :
Samuel will have lost the 12 GM and 4 SM. Also don't forget that Samuel lost one arrow.

Comments :
A very nice thread, as always Samuel. I did notice that this one feels a bit less experienced than others of yours I've read, though I suppose that improvement over time is a good sign. ;)

Don't forget to edit your request to reflect its graded status. If you have any questions or feel I forgot something, please contact either me or Reflection.

"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3