OOC Info [OOC] In the Murder

Discussion Board

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Ravok’s home for OOC Chatter, Development and Discussions.

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Nomi on April 12th, 2017, 2:40 am

Playername: Nomi

Players I am most interested in threading with: Anyone who's interested in tarot card reading.

Purpose of thread request: I'm looking for people who'd be interested in having Nomi read a tarot card spread for them. She works as at the Mystic Eye Fortune Telling shop, and while she isn't able to offer your character earth-shattering plot revelations, her readings may help them gain insight to their own personality and circumstances... perhaps nudging them in a direction you want them to go! I'm perfectly willing to work with you OOC to tailor a reading to serve a particular purpose for your character, but I'm also willing to simply do a reading with no direction and let you interpret it as you will! For those with no experience with tarot card readings, I'll explain.

Unlike how dramatized they are in movies and books, tarot cards aren't tools meant to predict like, deaths or the end of the world or whatever. Normally, they're used to provide insight into a situation and get the querent (the person receiving the reading) to think about their question in a different way. Each card represents a sequence of archetypes and spiritual lessons, and depending on how they're aligned in the spread (and depending on the question asked) they can represent people, forces at play, and emotions. For example, say my querent is asking how they can reconnect with their father who just came back into their life. I do a spread, and in the place meant to give advice about the situation as it stands right now, I draw the the six of pentacles reversed. That card normally means charity, prosperity, and abundant wealth, but reversed it means...

Greed, debt, and charity motivated by selfishness.

There are a couple of ways to read this card. One is pretty obvious - uh oh, beware, that dad might just want money. But it could also indicate the querent themselves - perhaps that person should really re-examine why they want to reconnect with their father. Is this something based out of generosity, selflessness, and a desire to foster familiar connections? Or... is it just... because they want to seem like a good, compassionate person to the people around them, one that's good at forgiving and forgetting? Rather, are they giving "forgiveness" to their father (who left) only because they "want something in return" (the admiration and praise for being 'a good person'.)That kind of mindset will only bring suffering, in the end, because shallow kindness is prone to rot.

...Tarot card readings are very subjective, which means they can be a very interesting thought-tool in getting people to think about their situation from different angles. It proves a set of ideas to meditate on, and this can prove to be very enlightening.

Why would other players want to join?: Because tarot cards are dope and you want to do an analytical thread about your character? I do this readings IRL a lot, so I'm pretty handy with cards, and I'm passionate enough about the subject that I'll try to give you a really detailed, cool reading. And seriously, I am totally willing to work with you if there's a specific direction you want the reading to go.

Let me know if you're interested!
Nomi
Player

Words: 24212
Joined roleplay: April 3rd, 2017, 10:17 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Minnim on April 12th, 2017, 2:49 am

I would love a Tarot reading for Minnim, Nomi. We might have to find a way to persuade him to attend, but it should be fun once he gets there. :) I'll PM you in a minute.

I know I already PM'd Atrigan, and I'm chatting with Evarista, but if anyone else would like a thread this season, I'd love to meet some more people. I'm looking at the seasonal challenges, too, so if anyone wants to hit those with me, they're more than welcome to jump in. I'm tracking my progress in my plotnotes off to the left, if you'd like to see where I'm at.
Minnim
Old Soul

Words: 42496
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2015, 3:27 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Prophet on April 13th, 2017, 1:58 am

I've been getting a lot of questions about housing. Since the information is scattered in several places, allow me to condense (I've also added this to the housing section in the Codex).

• Citizens own a standard unit. A sum of 310 GM can be paid for a balcony upgrade. The only seasonal expense is the gamewide Living Expense to which all players adhere.
  • Those seeking citizenship may rent from Tarsin's or from the NHC. Cash in your housing from the Starting Package. Player will be responsible for rent AND Living expenses each season until he or she can buy a home. After full citizenship has been achieved, one may purchase a housing unit from the NHC (Prices are listed). Owning a home means that the player only needs to pay seasonal Living Expenses.
  • Visitors must rent AND pay Living Expenses.
  • PM me with questions.

If you're doing a Ravosala Rumor thread, be sure to PM me with the link so I can start throwing breadcrumbs at you. ;)

Never be afraid to make a suggestion. While I have the development thread shut down, that doesn't mean you can't say "Hey Proph, I saw this thing and thought it would be better if..." I won't bite- promise! As always, I'm here if you need me. I hope to have a new location up this weekend but we shall have to see. I'm days away from closing on our house so that will take precedence for now.

That is all.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Artigan Crowley on April 13th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Hey, all! I've got an idea for a holiday that I've discussed with Prophet via PMs, but I want opinions from other players before I put it in the Holiday Hoedown thread. A lot of people seem to like the idea of a masquerade, so here it is:

The Night of Shadows :
Name: The Night of Shadows
Date: Spring 30th. Setup begins later in the day, while the celebrations last from sunset to sunrise.
Details: Sometimes jokingly referred to as “The Hunter’s Ball,” the Night of Shadows is at once a social event and a business event. Ravok is a beautiful city, and tonight is a night to celebrate that beauty in all its forms – through costumes, food and music, all beneath the layer of mystery granted by the masks that every good Ravokian wears to the party. From sunset to sunrise, the city is aglow with colored lanterns and candles that glint off bright clothes and decorations. The celebration takes place as the spring flowers reach full bloom, making bouquets and flower crowns a common sight throughout the city.

In addition, themes of neighborliness and charity run strong during this night; there are several donation caskets throughout the city manned by Ebonstryfe, ready and waiting for the populace to display their gratitude to the patron god. While most years will see the money go straight into the Black Sun, this isn’t always the case. If a disaster has struck or an important city landmark been damaged, funds will go to the relief efforts. Even in years of prosperity, money gained on the Night of Shadows will typically find its way into various urban development projects or otherwise be invested directly back into the city and people; the point of this night is to celebrate the beauty of the city, and to create more.

There are three main types of participants: consumers, vendors and entertainers.

The consumers are the general partygoers, who walks through the city and socializes. It is expected that if you are not supporting your neighbors by selling or entertaining, you are supporting your neighbors by buying. If you pass a busker on the street skilled enough to make you stop, you owe them a coin.

Vendors are business owners lucky or wealthy enough to obtain a license to sell on the Night of Shadows. Jewelry, food, all sorts of crafts can be found tonight, and every vendor is guaranteed to bring only their very best. Several of the masked passerby are in fact wealthy investors looking for promising craftspeople to award their patronage. For individuals who might not yet have the funds for their own shop, this is an excellent way to attract positive attention. In addition to the business license, they are also required to donate a portion of the night’s earnings to the Black Sun, or whatever project they have declared instead.

Entertainers must also obtain a license to busk on the Night of Shadows, and are also expected to donate part of their earnings. In exchange, they are also put in the spotlight in the same way as the vendors, and have the same opportunity to attract wealthy patrons. While three or four acts might be endorsed by the Ebonstryfe directly just to get things going, the majority of entertainers are freelance. Any type of act is welcome; music, dance, plays and displays of illusion are all equally enjoyed by the populace. In addition, there will be several empty stages set up throughout the city where an unlicensed person can stand and present a personal piece such as a song, poem or speech. While they will receive no money from this, there are plenty of artistic types in the city who just want a chance to be heard, and the anonymity granted by the festival means that no one will know who they are.

No matter the type of participant, all partygoers will wear a mask. This mask can be simple or elaborate, plain or colorful, but the important part is that the wearer’s face is covered beyond recognition. Even if you meet someone that seems to speak exactly like your close friend, it is polite to act as if they are complete a complete strange; speaking to someone by name is considered very rude on this night. If two people decide to go through the party together, they will usually refer to each other by simple aliases such as “Wolf,” or “Storm.”

Instead of names, each person carries with them a ribbon bearing their name. For the less wealthy, it might be a simple strip of linen with their name written in ink. For those with money to throw away, it might be a luxurious length of silk embroidered with golden thread. Most will only have one, but investors on the hunt might have two or three––never more than four. Depending on the situation, too many ribbons can reflect badly on the individual; a single, middle-class man with five ribbons to give, for example, will be seen as desperate and lecherous, whereas one with a single ribbon is much more acceptable.

As one walks through the city, they inevitably mingle. If a person meets another and decides that wish to meet that person again for whatever reason, they will slip their own ribbon into the other person’s pocket. While this is technically supposed to go unnoticed, it’s unlikely unless the first happens to be a pickpocket; most of the time, the recipient will politely pretend to be unaware.

Once the festival is over at sunrise, an individual will go home and check their pockets for ribbons. If they have received any, they now have an item with someone else’s name on it; this ribbon is clearly “lost property,” and it is that individual’s civil duty to return the lost property to its rightful owner, thereby meeting them in the process. This second meeting can have many purposes; it might be Nitrozian looking to invest in a particularly promising young glassblower, it might be a young woman looking to invite romance, it might be an assassin looking to lure their target into a trap. What happens after the festival remains up to the individuals to decide.

At its very core, the Night of Shadows is a chance for the people of Ravok to shed expectations. When no one knows who they are, they are free to express themselves without fear of social ripples. With this freedom comes the ability to meet others without having to put up a front, and to indulge in the food and laughter without restraint. It is a time for the people to put on masks, and, protected by that anonymity, show who they really are on the inside.
Artigan Crowley
Player

Words: 39574
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2017, 2:03 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Hwyn on April 14th, 2017, 5:53 am

you mean, I get a night, to dress fancy, and Abuse my ability to pick pockets?
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Words: 275288
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2015, 1:26 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Donor (1)

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Artigan Crowley on April 14th, 2017, 6:01 am

Of course; everyone should get a night to abuse less than legal skill sets.
Artigan Crowley
Player

Words: 39574
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2017, 2:03 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Evarista on April 14th, 2017, 4:40 pm

The idea is appealing. I especially enjoy the ribbons.

However, the combination of business and anonymity seem to make the holiday prone to becoming a mass swindlery party. There also seems to be a lot of red tape involved, what with getting individual permits for everything. On what grounds are the vendor and entertainer licences awarded?

When it comes to encouraging freelance entertainers and craftsmen to join, the anonymity robs the event of all advertisement value, which is the main attraction point of such events. People may come into contact with investors through ribbons, but the event is useless for those vendors who want to advertise to customers. Same for the entertainers - their anonymity makes them gain no fame for their performances, unless they're already famous and recognised, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the event as an opportunity for new talent to step forward.

This is not necessary a reason to revise anything in the draft, but it's worth thinking about - since there's an emphasis on business, such things need to be taken into account. Ideally, there could be another fair-like holiday, a non-anonymous one, where the professionals (not least those who got investors at the previous Night of Shadows) can actually advertise their product properly. (A second business-related holiday may not be appropriate, though. I haven't thought much about that).
Evarista
Whose eyes are those eyes?

Words: 372744
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2016, 11:28 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1)

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Prophet on April 16th, 2017, 9:53 pm

New location!

Trigol's Tools & Trade has been added to the linkmap.

I'm hoping to get a reply up for the Egg quest on Saturday or Sunday so if you can't post by then but would like to, please send me a PM. That is all.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Prophet on April 18th, 2017, 3:38 am

Listen up, folks.

In case you were unaware, there are no longer any CSLs and an AS in my domain has retired. This is going to add more to my plate so I'll make you a deal.

You chuckleheads grade one another's threads and I'll make sure the quests keep moving. Sound good?

If you've been here sixty days and aren't a grader- why the petch not?

Also- the holiday hoedown is still a thing.

I look to post in the Egg quest this weekend. If anyone cannot post by then but would like to, PM me so I can work something out. That is all.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

[OOC] In the Murder

Postby Prophet on April 18th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Buzz updated.

I added a song to the Ravok wiki.

Keep writing, gang. I'm enjoying the threads!
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

PreviousNext