Closed Symbols at Sea

Clyde and Sayana work on some glyphing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast, beautiful oceans encircling Mizahar. The Eastern Ocean to the east and the Western Ocean to the west.

Symbols at Sea

Postby Sayana on April 20th, 2017, 1:55 am

There was some mild annoyance that the mage didn’t even look at or acknowledge the symbol she had drawn. Sure, it wasn’t the same as his, and maybe not as pretty, but it still had meaning and she was trying to sort out what was necessary to give a symbol this pronounced ‘intent’ which he so referred to.

He did, however, address her query about the Black Sun marking, so she instead followed that line of thought as he explained it more in depth. Her low hands fidgeted behind her back as she recalled the day so long ago with the auristics. Much like this, out at sea, learning magic… Although her eyebrows narrowed when he implied that as a master glypher he could create a glyph, a symbol, that somehow had meaning to her and would net results.

That aside, she was surprised at the idea that glyphs could harness foreign magic. But then she realized that was exactly what his stone cube did. Not wanting to forget about it, she handed the small stone back to Clyde. She certainly imagined that she would do glyphing for her own magic instead of another’s, if she did manage to learn it properly. However as he elaborated on what could and couldn’t be done by a novice she started growing somewhat dismayed at the limitations.

“So at the beginning, I’ll be able to draw my djed towards a focus. Is that it?? I won’t even be able to make something to store my magic?”

It was disheartening to say the least. Although she found herself toying with her fingers once again, this time with her mid and high hands. Twisting her fingers about, she crafted various shapes, trying to think of something which she could settle upon for a focus symbol. It was probably a focus glyph that she needed right now with her mind being so distracted.

“So one glyph, a block, and a sigil,” Sayana repeated and purposefully refused to use the writing analogy Clyde had included. “A move, a movement and a dance.”

The Eypharian got to her feet, no longer able to sit patiently any longer and strode across the small room. Squinting out the small window, it was clear that it was still raining but the steady rocking of the boat meant it wasn’t storming with strong winds either. Her high hands were fidgeting again, and this time she was absently stroking a circle in her palm.

Sudden realization struck her and her mind immediately jumped back to glyphs. “Clyde, are gestures kind of like a glyph? Like sometimes they can form a picture and they can help with focus… But are they a true glyph? Or do glyphs need ink or something to work?”

The looming fear of boredom was causing her ideas to jump around chaotically. She seemed to seek out further use than just a mere focus glyph, that she could wrap her hands around and try out.

Credit: Shimoje
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Symbols at Sea

Postby Clyde Sullins on April 22nd, 2017, 3:35 pm

Taking his cube back Clyde eyed Sayana, awaiting her next inevitable impatient question.

He simply shook his head once more as she asked a question which proved she hadn't listened to what he had said.

“I didn't say couldn't, I quite clearly said shouldn't. Its a stability issue. I said it'd not be stable, and risk going off or breaking at random. Capability and quality are two very different things.”

“Think of it this way. Say you are a novice smith. You've just learned how to work metal, made a few horseshoes, some nails, and such. Would it then make sense for said novice to attempt to make a sword, and if they did would a warrior take that sword into a life or death battle and trust it? No. Not because said novice is incapable of making a sword, but because the facsimile of said weapon they'd make wouldn't be of the needed quality to be trusted.”

“I said I'd advise against trying as a lowly unskilled initiate, not that you couldn't try. In fact the fact that I warned against trying it seemed to me to imply that it was possible, or else why would I need to advise against it?”

As Sayana hopped up and began to move about the room, Clyde followed her motion for a moment with his eyes before turning back to the chalk glyphs the two of them had done.

Her next question was more confusing than anything else, and Clyde quirked an eyebrow at the question and her odd train of logic and thought.

“No. Why would they be a glyph? There is a difference between a focusing mechanism, as in of the mind with gestures and incantations, and a focusing of djed with a focus glyph. Gestures just help you focus your intent as you direct it with your mind, they don't directly affect the magic itself. Glyphs do just that.”

“Glyphs don't need to be make of ink or such to work, but they do have to be physical. Ink, chalk, carvings, paintings, lines drawn in the sand, they can all work as glyphs though with varying levels of permanence. Of course once used up a glyph is destroyed, so depending on the desired effect permanence may or may not be a desired or needed thing.”

Pausing for Sayana to listen, Clyde rounded off the lesson with one of the last bits, explaining blocks.

“As for glyphing, I mentioned blocks. Blocks are groups of glyphs, individual glyphs and runes and such that combine for one effect. Except in the case of the focus you just made, where one large glyph is used and is the entire block. When you combine blocks together into a entire effect that is a sigil. There are five basic types of glyphing blocks, three common and two less so.”

“A focus as you've seen is a single glyph, and draws djed into it. If combined properly into a sigil it can also capture djed or magic, even storing it for later release. In the case of a fully formed spell it takes in, when released it follows back out in mirror like a reflection. ”

“Next is a barrier, which blocks or stops the passage of magic. If it for instance surrounds a focus, say with magic stored inside, it would stop the release of that magic and thus allow it to be held.”

“And the last common one is a trigger, which does just as its name implies. It acts upon another glyph or set of glyphs to change or alter or activate, upon some written condition along with it being met. If for instance it was paired with a barrier surrounding a focus, and the trigger activated and thereby lowered or deactivated the barrier which was holding the magic in a focus, it would thereby release the magic.”

“Said focus, barrier, and trigger, is the most common instance and use of glyphing, as a straightforward spell storage scroll.”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Symbols at Sea

Postby Sayana on April 23rd, 2017, 4:25 am

His insistence of the precision of his words was annoying at best. She knew what he meant. It wasn’t that she wouldn’t be able to try but that she knew he would like her to refrain from such. Even though she kept her words to herself, an exasperated sigh still left her lips.

When the mage got to arguably the most important part of the lesson, the different functions of the common glyphs, Sayana was already long gone as a student. While she had enough respect and admiration for the mage to pretend to be watching and listening carefully, her mind was no longer keeping up with his words. Her thoughts drifted to reimancy and hypnotism trying to come up with new things to try. She even pondered over morphing and how she might start learning more about animals and how their physical properties worked.

By the end, she still retained the concept of a focus glyph and that glyphs needed to be made through some sort of writing medium, and that it would effectively disappear after use, but the concepts of the barrier and trigger were completely missed.

When Clyde finished speaking, Sayana returned to the small cot and seated herself on his lap, facing him. She kissed him softly on the lips, letting it linger without any rush.

“Let’s save it for another day, my love.” She spoke, clearly referring to the lesson. “I did like your rock though.”

The general theory of the glyphing magic still churned within her head, but without actually applying it, she had been unable to keep up with the latter part of the lesson.

As the ship rocked with the ocean waves, Sayana glanced out the small window. “I don’t think the rain or storm has let up, but that doesn’t mean we can’t take a break for something else.”

Her intentions became clear as a high hand caressed his cheek and neck, and she began to unfasten his shirt.

Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Symbols at Sea

Postby Clyde Sullins on April 23rd, 2017, 2:30 pm

In a part of his mind Clyde was aware that Sayana's interest was flagging, an indicator that he needed to wrap the lesson up to a end point. Considering how close to being done though it was hard for him to do so without coming to a complete ending.

It was like telling part of a story, and then ending right before the climactic ending.

Of course, while in Clyde's mind the concepts and topics where the height of interest, it didn't occur to him that for others it would be less interesting or even boring.

As he ended the next bit of the lesson Sayana proceeded to hop into his lap. The teaching bit of his mind that was focused on his current student was confused, the leap in subject evading his attention and minds thought process.

His body on the other hand was much quicker to take interest and react to a woman pressing against him, in the traditional manner common to men being straddled by a woman.

His mind catching up with his body eventually, Clyde let a playful frown cross his lips, letting the tone of his words clearly show he was joking.

“You know, your not a very good student, you really must work on your focus.”

Grabbing her at the waist with both hands while still holding onto Cha in an awkward grip across her back, Clyde pulled her up against him, letting his physical excitement and reaction become clear through the pressing contact.

“It'll never do. I think you'll need to earn some extra credit to make up for it. And as bad of a student as you are, I think it'll be lots of extra credit. We'll just have to work out a way for you to earn it...”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Symbols at Sea

Postby Sayana on April 23rd, 2017, 4:40 pm

She seemed to accept his first comment without question, and there was even some amusement on her face when it was clear that he was teasing her about her ability to focus. But when he started to take the analogy too far, her eyebrows narrowed and her lips pursed.

Her high right hand was raised and came down swiftly towards his face. A slapping of skin against skin could be heard, but it was a ruse with one of her left hands. Instead, her high right stopped an inch from his cheek before she used it to caress him once more.

“You Sir, should learn to shut your mouth when I’m on top. Unless you intend to kiss me.”

With that, she pulled him into a deep kiss and pushed her weight against him. Her hands roamed his body, wanting to feel and touch him with no barriers in the way, and she was only spurred on by the feeling of his physical excitement. Even though her words and earlier actions indicated she hadn’t liked something he had said, or how he had said it, she wanted to look beyond that and get to what she really wanted. Him.

Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Symbols at Sea

Postby Languish on June 3rd, 2017, 5:55 pm

Your grades have been summoned

SAYANA
■ Reimancy + 1
■ Seduction + 1
■ Philosophy + 1
■ Logic + 3

Lores
Lore of Glyphing: "Stealth Glyphing" Disguises
Lore of Glyphing: Anti-magic is for Expert Users
Lore of Glyphing: Anti-magic Stops Magic from Being Used or is Proof from Magic
Lore of World Magic: Constant After Completion
Lore of Personal Magic: Requires Upkeep and Concentration
Lore of Glyphing: Intent Creates Effects
Lore of Philosophy: What is Intent?
Lore of Magic Theory: Intent is Personal, Not Black and White
Lore of Magic Theory: Magic Can Also Hold Mundane Purposes
Lore of Glyphing: Singles, Blocks, and Sigils - A Move, A Movement, and A Dance
Lore of Glyphing: Glyphs Must be Physical
Lore of Glyphing Types: Focus Glyphs are Common
Lore of Seduction: Playing Rough

CLYDE SULLINS
■ Meditation + 1
■ Philosophy + 2
■ Logic + 2
■ Acting + 1
■ Seduction + 1

Lores
Lore of Philosophy: Mean What You Say or Don't Say It
Lore of Magic Theory: Intent is in All Magics, Albeit Differently
Lore of Meditation: Finding a "Moment" to Visit in Your Mind
Lore of Meditation: Clears the Way For Logical Thought
Lore of Acting: Conveying Meaning Through Words,
Not Expression
Lore of Seduction: Playing a Teacher's Role

Additional Information
None.

Comments:
Eep! Say and Clyde are so cute. Training threads like this can be boring, but listening to Sayana's wandering thoughts was entertaining, and the way they each use different metaphors to relate it to their own stronger skills is interesting too.

Sayana, I didn't give lores on barriers or triggers, as you said that Sayana hardly listened to those. I also didn't give any acting for the playfight, simply because your acting was so high. You also already had a lore on imitating "combat", so I figured one for slaps would be redundant. Otherwise, I think I got as much as I could out of this one.

Clyde, you already had a lot of the teaching lores, but I got some on meditation. Are you planning on creating a mind palace-style place for Clyde's memories and reasoning? It's an interesting style of meditation which might take awhile to perfect (something to work for) and I think it'd fit Clyde well.

Don't forget to delete your post in the grading queue. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me about your grade.

template by Orakan
Languish
Wasting Away

Words: 126070
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2016, 2:19 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous