Open [SWI] Tying up the ends

(Salara Kel’Halavath, 5th Spring) Fallon begins tidying up the last loose ends in the office.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[SWI] Tying up the ends

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on May 9th, 2017, 4:34 pm

So, it seemed she had at least started on the right track. Fallon’s suggestions helped her recognize she’d stopped short after only skimming the surface. The realization only widened her eyes when really she wanted to slap her forehead for having missed the obvious. “Yes, I see. I stopped too soon at City Hall. I didn’t look farther than the seasonal census.” Which was really stupid as the very day Salara came to SWI, the then-intimidating senchenal had ensured she’d registered her housing intent. There surely were many more public records that she could have considered. “Why…?” Looking for her logic by scanning her notes she found she’d twisted the parchment so took a moment to flatten the crumpled pages somewhat with the palm of her hand while Fallon’s voice echoed in her mind, ‘Over twenty years ago a man called Zachiel Eyvino was in Zeltiva. He had some association with the richer houses of the city, but otherwise it is seeming that his existence is considered minimal.’ “...because in my mind I had answered the first task by finding when he was here around 20 years ago. So I moved to the next task while there, identifying several houses he may have been acquainted with. Eyris was only an interesting blip like learning the Senenchal is an under-worked, hopeless romantic mourning her lost sensuality…”

She looks up at Fallon’s face but doesn’t really focus upon it as she continues to think aloud. “So I had my dates and I had prestigious houses but I didn’t know enough about any of the houses to proceed. At the library I prioritized which houses were likeliest and I did select Falconer because it was easiest accessible of them all; Wright manor was abandoned and Melroy required messenger doves or climbing a garden wall. I didn’t have a plan after that beyond going up to each manor house from best to least and just ask and see what happened.” Her eyes regain focus upon the woman across the desk, “but I did get sidetracked with Eyris when I found the questionably documented blood relationship and the improbably romantic idea of a destructive Goddess.” She wouldn’t say it aloud but she still felt she would have ended with the same, only more informative, conclusions; but such was only conjecture without an opportunity to try again. “I came up with ‘when’ and tried to conclude a ‘why’ but finally got lost with the ‘who’ as, in a way, I lost sight of Zachiel Eyvino.”

She was just beginning to hope that Fallon would remain but then she watched as The Inspector mask slipped into place and it was back to business. Or, she wondered, was it the other way around? Which mask wore the woman? But there was no time for such deep thoughts as the Inspector hit her with another slue of What-do-you-want-to-be-when-you-grow-up questions.’ She knew answering, ‘Be myself. Do good’ and ‘I don’t know yet’ wouldn’t work. Her nature was to follow her instincts, accept the results, and hope the outcome was a better place than she had been in – from a slave/street thief perspective, ‘live for the day.’ It was difficult for one such as her to wish for….eeerr consider… long term expectations.

“I don’t know the answers that will convince you to consider me acceptable and I don’t know enough to answer any to a depth. As you said, ‘… the price of a word is always tenuous at best,’ so whatever my answers, they are not written in stone as I learn more about myself through experiences, which I’m trying to arrange with your assistance. How will I prove myself? By trying my best and if that falls short learning to do better. Protection? It matters naught if one or many can protect me as long as I am and not alone. I would be pleased to wear many faces – to walk among them all in fact or fiction – bold as you please or a phantom as needed. I first have to survive earning my way out and, as I earn my way up, my hope is that leadership will follow. I’ve said before – this time I choose to better myself by bettering those around me, most especially for those who deserve better themselves.”

She finishes with a long sip of tea.

Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

[SWI] Tying up the ends

Postby Fallon on May 17th, 2017, 9:04 am

It was always fascinating to see the drop of realisation cover the features, to sink in an reach a true level of understanding. Perhaps, now that it had been pointed out she would begin to tame the imagination into something productive. Skills to time to hone, and this was no different. Regardless, a lesson had been learned and she would grow from it. There was a small nod of understanding – she had once been in the same position, but without the guiding hand of the more experienced. It was the small advantage Salara had here. Fallon gave a small lean back to take up her own cup, took a sip before giving a firm nod, ”Correct, all of it. In doing so you gathered information yes – but the target was lost behind a wall of… shall we say noise? You muddled it with potentials and maybes. In some circumstances, yes, such later would be good to look into – but the foundation here lies with the person.”

The inspector shifted around the desk then, brow creased in contemplation. Passing the cup to her left, she took up the quill with the other. A few firm clinks within the inkwell, the paper pulled before her in contemplation. All the while a small curl upon her lips played, ”I will admit, I am impressed. By your answers though the information is dubious at best. But more importantly your reactions.” The nib scratched across the surface, voice continuing to explain, ”Mistakes have been made. But you will learn from them, or have done so already. You have begun to display elements of tenacity and a willingness to debate, to ask questions and challenge. They are traits that are vital for an investigator, to find information and question all of it. You may need to work on accepting things at face value however, learn to take all information with a pinch of salt, but such is tempered with experience and time.” The wolfish smile gave a small flicker, ”Something you will not yet have.”

Another slurp of her tea, ”Your acceptance of such mistakes have been also made. There are those who would argue with me that an entire case is built upon a slither of information. Enraged that my evidence found proved otherwise and refused to back down from the truth. I could give examples of such cases, but that would break into client confidentiality. Let us simply say this instead, Explore all avenues before coming to a final conclusion, less you may jump to one and make a terrible mistake.” She lowered the quill and taking up the parchment she blew upon it. A few puffs to dry the ink as she contemplated the scrawling handwriting. From there she folded it, and begun the process of heating up some sealing wax. While waiting she quietly continued, ”But you are showing willing. And willing is good. Willing keeps you alive.”

She poured a dollop of melted wax onto the seal, and quickly took up her signet ring. A wolf head embossed onto red, she gave it another shake before looking over to Salara. A scrawl on the front, she paused, considered and looked across, ”Your final answer? Though, I think it is not an answer to me that you should give. But an answer to yourself that you need to give.” She leaned across the desk then, offering the letter to the woman. It was Salara’s name upon the front, ”Do with this what you will.”

With that, the inspector leaned back into her chair and waited. Almost as if expecting it to be opened, the content playing around in her head with thought.

Salara,

I am a believer of free will. That one should follow their feet and trust their instincts. There are many individuals in and outside of Zeltiva who would enjoy being patron to you, though their names would list for miles and their suitability would be questionable at best. As such, the most I can offer with clear conscience is as follows:

Upon the tenth of the season I will be hosting a lecture of investigation within the University. No doubt something along the lines of crime scenes and how to study them. Should such interest you do attend, learning is important and sharpens the mind into a mental sword.

Should your interest remain and should you wish to learn more I will be heading to Syliras upon the twenty fifth of spring. I will say however that should you have your own affairs to attend to then please do so. Simply know that upon the end of the season I will be traveling by ship southwards to a place called Riverfall – and what stops, if any, may be on the way. Board and passage will be booked, along with any other expenses for the following summer season or seasons covered until time or reason dictates otherwise. It will however not be completely dedicated to investigation, and other subjects will inevitably be branched out into.

You need not to give an answer, and your decision can wait until the final day of the season.

Do not be late.

Kind regards,

Fallon Skylar, Private Investigator of the SWI
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[SWI] Tying up the ends

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on May 20th, 2017, 4:00 am

Signed, sealed and delivered. Salara reaches for the missive without hesitation and more than a little curiosity. Having been sealed she wondered if opening it now would make her appear desperate or over-eager. By Fallon’s posture it seemed acceptable. A long nail slides delicately under the red wax impression; newly melted it was easy to separate without fracturing the embossed wolf. Inquisitive fingers pinch, pull, and unfold the parchment from the envelope.

Her eyes scroll across the words, a thin brow lifting at key portions of the message. The time it takes for perusal amounts to a re-read of everything within. The slightest nod dips her chin as she folds the page to be returned to its pocket. “Sage advice and a very generous offer.” She places her fingertips to the tabletop to avoid potential dizziness as she stands. “This is much more than I expected as I appreciate the value of such an opportunity.” She offers a firm handshake, “It will receive my most serious consideration.”

As she opens the door she turns, “Thank you and good day, Inspector Fallon. See you on the 10th.”

*word count = 4043
Last edited by Salara Kel'Halavath on January 13th, 2018, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

[SWI] Tying up the ends

Postby Karyk on June 11th, 2017, 10:07 pm

Fallon
Skills
Organization: 1
Logic: 2
Teaching: 2
Leadership: 1
Lores
Zachiel Eyvino: In Zeltiva Census Spring 493 & 496
Eyris: In Zeltiva Census Spring 510
Zachiel Eyvino: Offspring of Eyris
Araka: Children of the Alvina
Nymkarta Dynasty: Magical Bloodlines Were Controlled for Purity
Falconer Family: Followers of Eyris
Miscellaneous

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Previous Season Expenses Paid (Spring 517): ✓

Salara Kelhalavath
Skills
Observation: 1
Rhetoric: 3
Logic: 2
Lores
Some Conversations are Best Held Behind Locked Doors
Zachiel Eyvino: In Zeltiva Census Spring 493 & 496
Eyris: In Zeltiva Census Spring 510
Zachiel Eyvino: Offspring of Eyris
Araka: Children of the Alvina
Nymkarta Dynasty: Magical Bloodlines Were Controlled for Purity
Falconer Family: Followers of Eyris
Warning: Do Not Accuse Eyris of Being Murderous in Fallon's Presence
Fallon: Will Not Immediately Trust Information Given
Fallon: First a Murdock, then a Skylar
Investigation: Records are a Starting Point
Miscellaneous
Item - Letter of Invitation from Fallon

Notes and Comments
CS Checkmarked: ✓
CS Reviewed by Me: ✓
Previous Season Expenses Paid (Spring 517): ✓

You pair are a nosy bunch when it comes to other people's affairs and histories. I learned quite a bit in this thread, both in lore, and about your characters. Well done. Fallon, please mark your post within the Queue as Graded.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Previous