Open Songs, Fires, and Navigating Illusions

Elin attempts to navigate Alvadas with a feeling of fire in her stomach and an unfamiliar song in her chest

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Songs, Fires, and Navigating Illusions

Postby Elin on June 2nd, 2017, 2:03 pm

Image61st Summer, 517
"Common" | "Kontinese" | "Tukant"

Elin sighed as she woke up, still in the Cubacious Inn as she hadn't found a source for money to buy herself and her kids an actual home, though she was certain she'd have one for Fall at least.

Groaning, she pulled herself out of the bed and began to get ready for the day, before waking Ilia and Rion.
It was then that she felt something unusual. In the pit of her stomach it felt as though there were flames rising in a slightly unpleasant way, and from her chest she could hear a song. It was wordless and crooning, and to Elin it was pleasant, but she hoped than Ilia and Rion weren't hearing it! The poor things were terrifying.

"Mummy?" came Ilia's voice and Elin looked at the girl. "Fire in here!" the little girl said before pointing at her stomach and Elin groaned slightly.
"You feel it too sweetness?" she said compassionately, bending down to kiss the girls forehead. "That's normal for here. Weird things do happen." she said, before hearing the little girl beginning to hum, imitating the wordless song, and Elin couldn't help but grin, beginning to join is, humming quietly as she couldn't quite copy the tune. It sounded wrong when she attempted to hum it, messy and out of tune, and it made Ilia laugh.
"You sound bad!" the little girl giggled and Elin smiled.

"I know, but get your shoes on! We're going out today!" she said, watching the girl hurry to get her shoes on while she put on her sling and placed Rion into it.

Soon they were in the streets of Alvadas and Elin had little to no idea where they actually were.
Making a decision to try and look for the Bizarre, she turned a few street corners before spotting something on the walls of the buildings. It looked like pieces of pottery, intermixed with various Miza and a few other trade goods and Elin shrugged her shoulders.
If anything were to indicate a market, that was the only thing she could see doing so.

"We're going to follow those pots and Miza, okay pumpkin?" she asked, before feeling Rion struggling to look around in the sling and then gawking at the sight before babbling loudly.

Smiling at the infant, Elin rubbed his head and took hold of Ilia's hand, before the three followed the trial only to find it come to a dead end between some houses and Elin frowned, the feeling of fire still in her stomach, and the song from her chest beginning to irritate her.

"I forgot how much of a pain this place could be!" she mumbled to herself, before turning around and picking a new direction to head in.

Boxcode by Gossamer
Exam week
Very likely to be inactive until the 27th
Sorry to everyone I'm in a thread with, but I'll be on when I need respite from studying

~
Elin
Player

Words: 97730
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2017, 4:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Sorla on June 2nd, 2017, 3:55 pm

The heat in Sorla's stomach had been growing all morning. At first she thought it must be to do with the spicy food she had eaten the night before, but it was not long before the heat intensified beyond a bit of heartburn. Her belly felt hot, not in the metaphorical way that people sometimes use to describe strong emotions, but actually, physically hot. Her skin was warm to the touch, and the heat inside roiled and curled like flames. As the morning wore on it started rising into her chest and up into her throat, waves of prickly heat lapping up her windpipe. For some reason, she felt a strong urge to hum. It seemed to soothe the burning sensation slightly, as if lulling the flames to sleep.

It was a hot day. Syna's rays were scorching even in the still early morning. Sorla had the day off, and so she decided to go for a swim to try and ease the oppressive heat, both inside and out. She left the Cubacious Inn and started walking, keeping her mind focussed on thoughts of coolness and water. She had been in Alvadas long enough now to know that it was - normally - easier to reach your destination when it was clear in your mind while you walked. As she strolled through the baking streets, with Rikar swooping about above her head, she subconsciously started humming a wordless, almost tuneless song. She noticed that others in the city were also humming to themselves, all the same vague, low melody.

She had been walking for a while now, and was getting sweaty. Hot little burps kept escaping from the furnace that her stomach had become. If she didn't find somewhere to swim soon she was sure she would catch fire in the street. Rikar didn't seem to be affected, and was perfectly happy above her, fanned by the draughts in the upper air. Not for the first time, Sorla longed for the winds that blew through Wind Reach and kept the city fresh, even despite the volcano at its centre. While her attention was on her crow, she failed to notice the harassed-looking woman walking out of a little side street accompanied by two children. The red-headed Sorla almost collided with the dark-haired woman, and quickly started to apologise.

'I'm so sorry, I didn't see you...' she stopped abruptly. A tiny flicker of flame had implausibly but unmistakeably darted out of her mouth as she spoke, narrowly missing the woman's face. She tried again. 'Sorry about that, not sure what...' again, an orange flash from inside her mouth, bigger this time. She could feel the heat moving up her throat as she spoke. She shielded her mouth with her arm so she wouldn't burn the woman as she spoke, but the fire from her mouth singed her sleeve, so she put her arm down and kept her head awkwardly turned to the side, while trying to look out of the corner of her eye at the woman.

'Sorry. Anyway, I recognise you. Aren't you staying at the Cubacious Inn? I think I've seen you around there a few times. I'm Sorla, I'm staying there too, for now.' She waved and smiled at the little girl clinging to the woman's arm. 'What a sweet child,' she said, flames shooting from the back of her throat and quivering for a moment in the air. 'And the baby's adorable as well.' Sorla loved children and normally would have been cooing over the little one immediately, but she didn't want to risk burning its face, so she merely smiled from a distance.
Sorla
Player

Words: 51074
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2017, 10:32 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cabochon on June 2nd, 2017, 4:57 pm

Most people would have found shelter on that hot summer day. Most, on any normal day, would have agreed that the sun was testing the resilience of Alvadas' people. Most would have loved a cool breeze to sweep in while inhabitants placed themselves under anything providing shade. Most, if not many, would have enjoyed the hot day in their own way. Unfortunately, most, if not all, suffered from many more things than just the unrelenting heat.

One in particular slept under the board of a tall gardening shelf. His midday routine usually dealt with some aspect of resting, whether taking a full on nap or only wishing it to come. His body was slumped over his backpack -a rough, dirtied coin purse, respectively. He did this to ensure that no one would steal it from him. Sometimes it was uncomfortable, but he managed. He didn't have many options lying on the table, so he had to pick and choose his battles.
It was the odd sensation of the day that interrupted his slumber. His body jerked awake, and he shook his head quickly to shake the feeling off. That was weird! Why did he suddenly feel like that? Then he remembered; today was the 61st of Summer. Today was a Pycon's worst nightmare.
Fire never did a Pycon any good. Fire of any kind, whether temporary or not, still affected them. Clay was clay, and malleable clay that came into contact with heat meant hardening and stiffening of the joints. While it wasn't permanent, it was uncomfortable, and any Pycon who lived in Alvadas would assure that.
Stretching and yawning, he rolled his shoulders and flexed his fingers. Then, he braced himself on his little stump as he stretched his fully formed leg. Finally, after much deliberation, he eventually slung the flattened coin purse upon his back and set out. He felt the fire in his stomach already and heaved an anguished sigh. If he ever needed a reason for leaving Alvadas, that would be one of them. Shaking off the foul thoughts, he slipped out from underneath the shelf, hobbling over to the road and waiting for means of transport to pass by. When an opportunity came, he managed as best he could on his feet, often apologizing when intertwining with strangers.

He shuffled along for some time, the rhythm of his steps now aligning to a tune in his head. It was a permeating, incessant tune that would haunt him for the remainder of the day. He remembered his parent's words about the 61st, and their distaste for it had inherently harbored his. Despite experiencing it for the first time, he would've been considered an expert on the matter. He only knew what his parents taught him.
When he returned to reality, he realized he had wandered from the familiarity of the town. Now, he was in a labyrinth of back alleys and corridors, and fear took a hold of him. The tune he loathed became comforting as he wove his way around, and humming eventually escaped from his mouth. He was indefinitely lost. He began to lose hope of finding his way out, until his eye caught two women and a child standing at one of the entrances. Relieved, he hastily meandered over to them, eager to ask them where he was. When he approached them, he did so.

"I'm sorry to interrupt!" he began. "I'm afraid I'm lost!" I've never been on this side of Alvadas before! Could you tell me where I am?"

Threads Available: 2/5
Cabochon
Small Details, Big Pictures

Words: 55005
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2017, 4:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Nephti on June 2nd, 2017, 5:34 pm

Alvadas was always odd. So she didn't understand why she found this that odd. Her stomach felt like it was on fire, as if she had just eaten a curry spicier than she could manage and it was burning inside her. Or, maybe, someone had dropped a flint and steel down there when she was sleeping, and now it had set alight, burning from inside out.

Or maybe it wasn't that bad, and the flames inside her were normal. Well, not normal, but nothing out of the ordinary for Alvadas. Because here, there was no normal. Which explained the song from her heart, the humming noise she could distinctly make out but couldn't track down. What, was the fire in her stomach causing a musician in her chest to sing for help? Nephti gave a laugh as she tried to make sense of it, while also distracting herself with other things. More important things.

For some reason, despite the flames in her stomach and song in her heart (was she in love? that was one connection she seemed to make immediately, but that was impossible - who would she be in love with?), Nephti felt like today was a good day. She had risen with the sun, almost earlier, even, and felt fresh and awake, ready to start the day. And what better way to start the day with an early rise than to do her hair and makeup, properly, and leave her room looking beautiful?

Nephti ducked beside the mirror that hung over the desk, taking a good look at herself and trying to figure out what to do. First, she began with a light face cream, dipping her fingers in the pot of skin cream and massaging lightly across her face, following the outline of it. It blended a little as a face paste, but not as heavy, hiding the spots that had risen up along the side of her face. Next came the lip pomade, a light layer of the red against her lower lip. She smacked them together, rubbing it onto the top, then padded the excess away with her finger. Oops. Licking the tip of one, she rubbed the smudged bit away, deciding she wasn't going to try with the rouge. Instead, she rubbed a little of the malachite eyeshadow onto her eyelids, careful not to put too much on. After dabbing the excess of that away too (this time more carefully), she closed the pot and placed it beside the rest. Kohl.. her hands moved over it all, before picking it up. Carefully, she traced a thin line across her eyelid. And the other... of course, it came out thicker, and she tried to adjust the first eye again with no luck. But it would have to do.

Then hair. The girl, a little flustered at how badly her makeup had turned out, decided to stick with a simple braid, brushing through her hair carefully to tease the knots out rather than yanking them. Once she was certain it was untangled enough, she pulled it all around one shoulder, twisting it left over right over left over right, pulling it tight each time. Once she reached the end, she tried to tie it with a bit of loose ribbon, watching as a good chunk fell out of the plait she had made leaving it a lot shorter than attempted. She swung it around her shoulder, back to her back, and realised her pulling it tight and only doing it on one side had meant that it was ridiculously off centre.

Determined not to let that ruin her good mood, she swung it back round. A side braid, clearly, that had always been her attempt.

The fire in her stomach had started to grow even stronger. Curious to find out whether this was just her, she stepped out, hurrying into the street and searching for someone nearby. Was that - yes, that had to be the girl she had met at the baths. What was her name? Wishing she hadn't forgotten, she made her way over, smiling brightly at the red head as well as the other two - no wait, four, the woman had children with her.

"Hey, sorry if you are busy," she smiled again, not having heard anything from before so uncertain whether they were in an urgent conversation or not, "But I wanted to know, do you feel it also? The fire, in me, the song, in me? Or in you?"

Wait, one of them was a statue. The girl did a double take, realising he was moving and all. Was this an illusion - most likely, she decided not to think anything of it. But the words spilled out of her mouth before she could. "Are you just an illusion, or is your appearance an illusion?" Because in this city, it could be either.

Her eyes went back to the children, "He is so cute!" she cooed, lightly, "And you?" The girl ducked to face the small girl, "Do you hear the music?"
Nephti
Player

Words: 198805
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 5:44 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Elin on June 3rd, 2017, 6:37 pm

Elin saw the red haired women just before the near collision, and couldn't help but smile at the girl as she started to apologise.
Though as she spoke Elin saw a flame come from her mouth and Elin ducked out of the way, the flame narrowly missing her.
It was odd to see a girl breathing fire, even for Alvadas, and Elin was worried that she'd start doing the same and scare her children. After all, she could feel the fire in her belly beginning to rise, growing stronger and stronger, while the song in her chest remained the same.

Then the girl continued to speak before turning her head to divert the flames elsewhere and Elin found a slight smirk come across her face as the girl mentioned recognised her, and introduced herself as Sorla.

"Yeah we're at the Cubacious Inn until we can find somewhere more permanent and not too expensive!" Elin explained, watching the girl and trying to recall whether she'd seen her anywhere other than the Inn, before she offered a hand to the girl as a friendly greeting. "I'm Elin, and these two critters are Ilia and Rion." she said grinning down at the two before Sorla compliment the two.

It was then that a little clay person joined them, and Elin found herself looking at the clay-like creature in awe. She'd met something similar to him in Spring, but Luck had looked a lot more like a small woman, while this one was different.
Then the creature spoke to say that he was lost and Elin found herself chuckling slightly.
"Aren't we all lost?" she mused, before leaning down towards the creature. "Unfortunately I have no idea which side we're on at the moment, though if you're looking for somewhere in particular, I can try to help out?" she offered, attempting to find a way that she could be helpful. Maybe that would help her find where she was going.

"Mummy! Look! Pretty and arms!" Elin heard Ilia say loudly, before Elin saw a young woman with multiple arms approach them, and Elin watched the woman in awe, amazed by the sight.

Then she heard the woman speak of fire and songs and Elin nodded.
"I feel the fire too, and I hear the song. How about you too?" she asked turning to the other two, guessing that Sorla felt the fire at least, especially since she was breathing fire.

Then she watched the six armed woman turn her attention to the clay-like being, asking if it was an illusion, and Elin realised that she hadn't considered that. Though she had met Luck in Syliras, this creature didn't look much like Luck, so it was possible that it could have been an illusion.
Silently she cursed herself for not thinking of that. It was obvious that she hadn't yet fully adapted to Alvadas' ways.

Bringing herself back to what was happening around her, she heard the woman cooing over Rion, and as she did Rion started clapping his hands and making noises as though he was trying to reply to the woman.
Elin couldn't help but grin at the woman, glad that Rion seemed to like her, rather than being intimidated by the multiple arms.
Then the woman spoke to Ilia.

"Music like this?" Ilia asked before she started trying to hum the tune that Elin could hear.
It was barely a quarter of a chime before Ilia stopped humming and looked up at the woman.
"You're pretty! And she breathes fire!" She said, pointing at Sorla, before turning her attention to Cabochon. "And you are smaller than me!" The girl said, and Elin rolled her eyes at her pointing out the obvious.
"And I'm Ilia!" The girl declared, sounding happy with herself.

"Sorry if she's offended any of you... She tends to just say what she sees. No filter and all that." Elin attempted to excuse herself, before offering a hand to the six armed woman, and then to the clay-like creature. "I'm Elin, this is Rion, and as you've already heard, this is Ilia." she said pointing to each of the children. "I'm guessing that this isn't all considered normal for Alvadas? Or is it and we're just all not too sure of it?" Elin questioned, puzzled by the events. "And do any of you have advice on how to find the Bizarre? I saw a trail that looked like miza, pottery and a few other things that could be sold there, so I followed it, but it lead me here, and now it seems to have gone."

Boxcode by Gossamer
Exam week
Sorry to everyone I'm in a thread with, but I'll be on when I need respite from studying

~
Elin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Cabochon on June 4th, 2017, 9:55 pm

Cabochon couldn't help but nod his head and plaster a smile on his face. The woman was an open book and he appreciated it. He'd have rather met someone who did have their wits about them, but her honesty resonated well with him. Did it do any good, really, to be upset? People were people, just as much as him. Everyone made mistakes, and he was glad he wasn't the only one to ruminate in his. It was nice to find others to share embarrassment with.
He decided to sit down at this point, since they weren't moving any time soon. He set down his bag carefully, his shorter arm being able to reach behind him and grab the top. He strained a little bit, considering his arm was still in a growing stage. Once he took it off, he dropped it onto the ground lazily. Then, he pushed himself up quickly, his longer, nimbler arm taking all the pressure as he swung his legs in front of him. His longer leg folded in and raised higher than the stump, getting out of his way so that he could land comfortably. In the split moment that his body stopped moving, he crunched in and pushed himself onto his bottom with his longer arm, catching himself as his leg bounced from the momentum. Finally, he was comfortable. It was then that he answered the prompts.

"Am I an illusion?" he asked, a little taken back by the bluntness of her question. He answered regardless, "The answer to that would be no, I am not. I understand your reasoning, though. Don't worry, it's alright."
Then he turned to the Ilia and her mother. "Don't worry about your daughter, ma'am. She's very observant, and that's a good thing. As far as the normality of today, my parents told me horror stories. They don't like the 61st too much, but they left some time after having me. This is the first time I'm personally experiencing it, so I wouldn't know myself. I can say that the fire is quite unappealing."

Content with his answers, his mind turned to a more pressing thought. Looking aside, he dragged his backpack over his leg and in front of him. Rummaging around inside, he looked for his midday snack: some nice, soft, red clay. He liked the salty flavoring and smooth texture of the red clay more than orange clay. The other tasted blander and chunkier to him, so he ignored it when he could. Red clay, therefore, was the preference, and he relished the thought of eating some. He could then focus on using that clay to grow out his shorter limb, however little that growth would be.
He shoved his other belongings aside as he searched for it. He knew it had to be in there somewhere. He remembered putting it in there that morning! When his shorter arm came up empty, he dared with his other longer arm, hoping that his mitten-like hand wouldn't get caught on something inside. He thoroughly searched the bag and double-checked all of his belongings and it didn't show face. Picking up the coin purse, he thought that maybe his eye would catch it instead. Nothing. Sighing, his shoulders slouched.

"You can't be serious," he spoke aloud. Suddenly, fire leaped from his mouth, and the coin purse caught on fire! He threw it down in shock before his eyes widened and he began to stamp it out with his mitten hand. He hoped no one was looking as he made a fool of himself!

Cabochon

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Sorla on June 5th, 2017, 4:22 pm

"Nari" "Common"

Sorla had not been talking to Elin for long when they were joined by two more people: a tiny clay blob with what looked like a child's attempt to sculpt arms and legs, and the Epypharian she had met some time ago at the baths. The misshapen clay man was lost, it seemed, and was asking where he was. Clearly he hadn't been in Alvadas long, or he would have known that it was a meaningless question. The only true answer to the question 'where am I?' was 'here.' Sorla felt a quick flash of pride: for the first time since she had come to the city of illusions, she realised that she was starting to think like an Alvadan, not a newcomer. She no longer found it odd that there was never any way to know which way to go, or that unusual things happened on a daily basis. She was learning to take it all in her stride. She smiled sympathetically at the lost clay man, and then returned the Epypharian's greeting, careful to direct the flames to the side as she spoke, which resulted in a slightly odd enunciation. 'It's nice to see you again,' she said. The woman seemed hesitant, so she reminded her, 'I'm Sorla, we met a while back. And in answer to your question, Elin, yes I feel it too, as you can probably tell! I'm assuming it's just another one of Alvadas' tricks, although I might start worrying if I actually catch fire...'

Elin was looking for the Bizarre, so Sorla shared the only advice she had on how to get around in the city, still with her face turned away and looking sideways at the woman. 'Personally I find that when things seem like they might be signs - pictures, words on walls, that sort of thing - they're actually just as likely to lead you in the opposite direction as guide you to where you want to go.' She was momentarily distracted by the sight of the little clay man fumbling around in his bag and pulling out a lump of reddish clay, which he then began to consume, obviously savouring his meal. She looked back to Elin. 'Or, more likely, such signs are often completely irrelevant. The only thing that sometimes seems to help is to have the image of where I'm going clear in my head. For example just now I was picturing cool water because I want to swim. You're all welcome to join me, by the way. If we can find a pond, of course!' she said to the whole group. 'I'd enjoy the company and hopefully it might ease some of this heat we all seem to be feeling.'

Just then the little clay blob's bag caught fire - it seemed he was also suffering from fire breath. He looked embarrassed, as if he hoped nobody had noticed, and he appeared to have the little flame under control as he stamped it down with his lumpen arm, so Sorla suppressed a smile and pretended she hadn't seen anything.
Sorla
Player

Words: 51074
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2017, 10:32 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nephti on June 8th, 2017, 8:45 pm

"Mummy! Look! Pretty and arms!" Nephti laughed at the introduction, finding the description as fitting as they could be. As the people confirmed that it was not just an illusion that affected her, but the rest of them too, she smiled, letting her mouth curl up and laughter trickle out like crystals. Even the little girl could hear it all, humming the same song that Nephti's heart was singing. They fitting together so perfectly, the girl began to wonder if this was just a fun thing Ionu decided to send them that morning, or if it had a greater purpose behind it.

"Thank you," the girl smiled back at the compliment, looking up towards the red head who Ilia, as she was called, said could breath fired. Did that come from the illusions - what was she thinking, of course it did! That would explain the burning in her stomach, although Nephti wasn't exactly fire-breathing yet.

"No, she is nice," Nephti laughed in response to Elin, "I am Nephti and it is not normal - because Alvadas does not know normal!"

Her eyes flickered back to the tiny man, who wasn't an illusion, or at least claimed not to be. What was he then? Nephti was just about to ask, when the next set of fire came out, flickering from the tiny man's mouth and setting the purse he held alight. In his urgency - and subtlety - as he tried to put it out, Nephti had to suppress a laugh, forcing it into a smile instead. As he put it out, the girl swooped down, snatching it up as quickly as she could, wafting away the remains of smoke, and handing it straight back to him. "Careful with fire," she teased, turning her attention back to the others as he took it.

Sorla was describing how to find places in Alvadas. Ah, that age long struggle that she could never figure out. It was all down to Ionu's will, she had decided, no matter what little tricks you had to use. But maybe for some people, those tricks actually worked. Or maybe Ionu just liked them better.

"So where we go?" she spoke up, deciding they were going to travel as a group, and that she had nothing better than to accompany them, "Bizarre? Pond? Who does Ionu like the best? They lead - of course!"

She would bet on the tiny man. Who was closer to an illusion than a tiny, walking, talking statue? But of course, it was up to them to lead the way, and choose who would.

She didn't really care how things worked out anyway. She was just here for the fun of it. "But pond is good idea - fire is hot!"
Nephti
Player

Words: 198805
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 5:44 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Elin on June 8th, 2017, 10:50 pm

Elin couldn't help but smile as she watched the little clay creature sit himself down, then begin responding to peoples questions about him, and Elin was more than happy that he was real and not an illusion, and then she was even happier that Ilia hadn't offended him.
She watched him as he routed through a bag and she couldn't help but stare out of curiosity at him. She still wasn't sure quite what he was, despite having met something like him in the past.
Soon she heard the clay creature speak of how his parents hadn't favoured the 61st, though it was his first time experiencing such an event.

Then she turned her attention to the two more humanoid women, glad that the multiple armed woman also wasn't offended by the child, before she introduced herself as Nephti.

It was then that she heard the redhead, Sorla, speak up abou how things that seemed to be signs usually were the opposite or were just completely useless and Elin frowned slightly, annoyed at the city itself. The place was so confusing to her, even though she'd known what to expect when she first brought the kids.

She listened to Sorla's description of how she found her way around Alvadas, and the idea sounded pointless to Elin, though she knew she'd try it, even if just to maintain her sanity in the city.

"Somewhere to swim would be nice, so we'll join you, if you're certain?" Elin said, grinning as she did so before she looked down to she the clay creature set his bag on fire, and then she instantly looked back up again, not wanting to pry.

"Well I highly doubt Ionu likes me, especially since I haven't been here long. But it sounds as though Sorla has a good way to find places, so maybe Ionu favours her?" Elin suggested, before thinking about the clay creature and wondering if he'd be able to keep up with them, and almost instantly she bent down to him. Then she heard Nephti exclaim that fire was hot and a slight friendly chuckle escaped her lips

"If we're all leaving here, are you able to keep up, or would you be okay with being carried?" Elin questioned the thing, not wanting it to feel left out if it couldn't keep up, but also not wanting to make assumptions and pick him up without asking first.
"We wouldn't want to leave you behind after all, and I think that we all have longer legs and bigger strides than you?" she spoke calmly to the creature, before glancing around again, attempting to imagine some water so she could see how Sorla managed to navigate.

Soon Elin found herself turning her head away from the group feeling the flames rising higher, though nothing came out of her mouth before she felt the flames relax slightly and she no longer felt that she might start coughing up flames, though the song seemed to get louder.

"This song is starting to get on my nerves now! I can barely think while I'm stuck listening to it!" she grimaced as she looked at the other three, the song becoming more and more unbearable as time went by, and all Elin wanted to do was find somewhere cool to rest.

Boxcode by Gossamer
Exam week

~
Elin
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Cabochon on June 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Cabochon's gaze was transfixed and heavily dedicated to snuffing that fire! He hadn't properly registered what happened when Nephti removed the bag from him and wafted the smoke away. He almost wished she hadn't done that; wind only stokes flame, and he was in no mood to put out fires once again. He stopped himself. He couldn't be angry at her, she was only trying to aid the situation. Sighing, he received it with suppressed melancholy and nodded his thanks to the Eypharian.
He studied the bag once it was returned to him. Charred indefinitely, with loose strings and fibrous material now strewn carelessly from the flames. He turned it over in hand, disappointed in himself. His indented eyeballs darted in analysis, drifting over the woven threads. Balancing the bag on his larger arm, the shorter one went about its contents, meticulously picking away what wasn't supposed to be there. Eventually, he came to a point of satisfaction, and he tightly strung the bag shut before setting it aside again.

His hidden ears picked up what conversation continued, giving his own commentary when there was moments of silence or when he was addressed. He began, thus, confirming Sorla.
"Oh, yes, please. If there's anything I've learned in my short time here, is that the visions on the walls are simply there and mean nothing. Do not trust signs, compasses, or yesterday's layout. But don't feel bad, either! I've made day trips for food sometimes."
After some time of silence and listening, he then responded to Nephti.
"If Ionu favored me, I may have not become lost and charred my bag. I will consider myself not."

Eventually, Sorla mentioned water and the possibility of a day of swimming. Cabochon shuddered. First the stiffening pain of fire, and now the idea of wet reformation. What was this day to him, then? No more than a proof of infallibility! These were the days when he wished he was born another race and with some age, some experience. Maybe, even, the experience his parents had! Ionu knows he tried, but sometimes merely trying would not be enough, and Cabochon felt that more readily now than ever. His mind raced about with his open complaints. Nonetheless, he decided to put that aside when Elin addressed him.
In fact, it was an odd experience whenever he talked to her. He'd only met her recently, but he felt all of his partiality melt away when she spoke to him. It was as if she made him remember how lucky he truly was. He still owned the house his parents left for him, no less saved him some of the furniture before he sold it. Even yet, the money he had received from them was generous. He eagerly answered her questions, since they took his mind off of his permeating thoughts. He waited for her to finish her prompts.

"I will admit, I have more issues than most with travel," he nodded. "I have had good days and bad days, but I already know for certain that today is going to be exceptionally excruciating."
He went to move as he spoke, and stopped. His leg wasn't reacting well at all. He'd let it sit, damn him! and now its ability to move had been purged! Curse the 61st! His parents were correct in their accuracy and depiction! Regrettably, he turned back to her with sheepish attitude.
"If you wouldn't mind carrying me, I need to remind my right leg how to function. So, yes, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you..." His words trailed off as he finished.

Cabochon

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes