Closed Old Friends, New Adventures(Jade)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Old Friends, New Adventures(Jade)

Postby Garland on December 20th, 2017, 3:51 am

Winter 13th, 517 AV

Syka... Garland had no idea what he was doing here, his superiors had said he was to set up an outpost in Syka, to cement a foothold in Falyndar, but with no help whatsoever, just him it seemed a bit... shady.

It didn't right, but orders were orders, him asking to bring his family made the higher ups uncomfortable by judging from their looks but they conceded. Still, it didn't feel right.

Garland didn't board the ship he was supposed to and instead sent a message to Edward Windweaver, Aneka and Phobos' grandfather, and he was more than happy to give a lift if he though his family was in danger.

Garland had just gotten off the ship, the blistering sun high above the sky. The twins were walking now, not just waddling along, but actually walking. Ilia held Garland's hand, she had been a tad more quiet after being given to Garland for safety when Elin disappeared.

There was another addition to Garland's little band of kids, a one year old little girl, bundled up in cloth, brown hair, and two different colored eyes, one dark brown like her mother's and one brilliant blue like her father's.

Garland looked over to the docks, the place wasn't even as developed as Mithyrn and with only funds in his pocket, the lack of workforce here and the lack of materials, making an outpost here would take much longer than usual.

Garland stepped down from the docks, Edward Windweaver stood near them, his coat fluttering in the hot tropic winds.

"Mate, you sure about this? I can keep the kids safe with the pod." He said, Garland had left the twins in Edward's care for a year now while assassins were after him, after a few attempted assassinations, they stopped.

"Aye, I'm sure, dad."

"Don't call me that."

"Sorry." Garland tussled his brown hair and walked down the gangplank and, the twins followed behind, holding Garland's other hand before letting go and climbing back up to hug their grandfather.

"Don't worry little ones, you'll see me soon." He said and picked them up to give them a few kisses.

Garland didn't bring much, he had brought his weapons and bought some tools because if he was going to built an outpost here, he couldn't do that with his bare hands no can he? And of course he also brought some clothes and rations for the kids.

With that done, the group stood at the docks, looking at the ship they came with set sail to other waters. "Welp... Best introduce ourselves?" He said and started walking inland, to what he assumed was the square or common area."
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Jade Laken on December 24th, 2017, 6:18 am

Jade smiled as the little one played in front of the bungalow. The mother worked on some new bowls to take up to the mercantile while humming. She often crafted random pieces till a full set was made, fired, and decorated. After that was done, the girl would take them to the business very carefully in order to avoid them cracking on the way. The last thing she needed was to trash a newly crafted bowl. Closing her messenger bag, the girl helped the little one tie her bandana from Nya. Making sure both pair of boots was put in to a back pack before they headed out. The blond had taken what her teacher said to heart.

“Come on baby girl. One stop at the mercantile to drop off this order, then to the commons,” the blond said with a smile.

“Yes, mommy,” Dina stated and opened the front door hopping down the stairs and waited.

Jade walked out with both bags one held the shoes and the other her bowls and utensils. She planned to work on some cups and pitchers within the next several days of Winter. It was not cold enough to cause the girl any trouble with the water in her wheel. Popping her neck, she motioned for the child to head on to the commons. Dina normally played there on the swing while the drykas talked business over at the mercantile. Sand dug in between the girl's toes as they made their way to the area where the child would wait for her mother to return. It did not take long for them to arrive; Jade laid down the rules to the little one before walking on to the mercantile. Dina played on the swing giggling loudly having fun. She spotted a very familiar man making his way towards the commons. Smiling brightly, the little one jumped out of the swing and ran to him.

“Uncle Garland!!!” Dina cried out excitedly and nearly tackled him over, “what are you doing here? Mommy will be so happy when she gets back!”

Jade bargained with Juli and her father while laughing and making jokes. She was in no hurry planning on relaxing on the beach for a while. After about fifteen chimes, the woman said her good byes and headed back. Humming, she did a little twirl on one foot to keep things interesting. The blond had been an upcoming dancer early on in her visit to Syliras. After realizing, she did not have the talent or ability to do well with it; the blond began working at the stables. The girl loved being around the horses and being able to take her child to work. Soon the commons came in to view, narrowing her eyes the blond slowed to a stop seeing her daughter talking to a man with four children. Swinging wide, the drykas snuck up behind the male before clearing her voice.

“Can I help you?” Jade asked with a sharp strong tone in her voice.
Jade Laken
Even the most confident fall to fear

Words: 194195
Joined roleplay: September 12th, 2014, 2:03 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on December 24th, 2017, 8:17 am

Garland held on to the Ilia's hand, while Ilia held on to Aneka's hand, who was holding on to Phobos. Garland was carrying little baby Ilu in his arms and was, to be perfectly honest, completely lost.

Garland was out of his element, this wasn't a city, this was a budding town, some houses are still in construction, basic amenities are lacking and most features are just a distant dream right now.

No walls, lack of guards, but in all fairness, unlike the city of Syliras where the enemy is just a few seasons' travel away, Syka has no enemies except the jungle itself, and one doesn't need a whole army to fight back the jungle.

Because of this, Garland had no idea where to begin at all, but he didn't show that to the kids, he had a brave face, and walked into the commons, looking at the relatively busy streets, it was midday and the people were busy with trade and construction.

Construction... That's an idea, I mean if they don't need a guard that is... He thought and looked over to sudden little girl barreling towards him and then just wrapping her arms around him.

"Who? Dina?! What are you doing here!?" He said and knelt down to talk with the little girl at eye level. "Your mother? Jade's here too? Where is she?" Garland said and looked over to Ilia.

"Ilia, can you hold Ilu for a bit?" He gave the baby girl to Ilia. The twins didn't really recognize Dina, the times they were together, these two were asleep or playing a game, now they're three and most of their memories were gone.

Ilia was looking at Dina suspiciously, but didn't say anything, she just held her baby sister close, giving her a few kisses, but staying very close to Garland. A smile formed on Garland's face when she saw Ilia bonding with Ilu.

Ilia didn't like Ilu that much because Ilu reminded her of Rion, the wounds were still rather fresh, but it seemed to be healing.

The twins were less cautious as Ilia and walked right up to Dina and looked at her with curious eyes. "I'm An-Anee-Aaah-Neeka! Am Neeka!" Aneka said with a smile, Phobos shying away behind his sister.

"I'm Phobos." The little boy said simply, despite having a much harder to say name, he didn't stutter or mispronounce.

Garland heard a cough and a rather familiar voice behind him. “Can I help you?”

Garland stood up, turned around, with a smile on his face and just bear hugged Jade. "Jade! Hey! This is the last place I'd thought to see a familiar face!" He said before releasing her from his grip.

"What are you doing here anyway?" He asked before looking over to Phobos and Aneka. "Say hello to your Aunt Jade."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jade Laken on December 25th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Dina hugged Garland again with a giggle so glad to see him. She and her mother had not known many people within the settlement. Looking over the girl was shocked to see Phobos and Aneeka had gotten bigger since their last party in Syliras. Smiling brightly the child noticed the tiny baby that the man had been holding. Turning back to him, she addressed his question about her mother's location.

“Mommy went to the mercantile to sell her bowls,” Dina said with a smile and looked at the other children, “I know you guys. We used to play together. My name is Dina.”

Jade was stunned when the person turned around with a large smile on his face. She could tell it was a male on her way up to the group. She was very protective of the child still; though the blond was getting better at letting Juli watch her. It would not be long, and the girl would be going back in to the jungle with another teacher. The girl was stunned when the man bear hugged her and screamed her name. It took several ticks before it finally clicked who it was. Garland.

“Garland!? What in the world are you doing here?” Jade asked with a laugh hugging him back, “I didn't think I would see anyone from the knights either. I came here after Syliras closed its gates. Come let's go up top and sit down in the shade. Phobos, Aneeka would you both like to play on the swing and in the sand with Dina?”

“Please uncle Garland!?” Dina asked excitedly.

Jade showed him where the steps were once the children had made their decision on whether to follow their father or go with Dina. Sitting down the blond crossed her leg over the other. A soft smile played on her lips watching as the man sat down in his bulky armor. With a snicker, she waved to the new little one that had followed them with a baby.

“Dina and I found ourselves here after going to Riverfall with my patron Ball. I asked him about moving on not feeling safe in the city. We got into a fight that night, the next morning I took baby girl and boarded The Veronica. I didn't know where we were going, but I wanted to keep her safe. Have you heard anything from Ferrin? I've tried to send word about us being in Syka, but no response,” Jade said gently explaining, “also you will want to find something else than the armor to wear.”

The girl wanted to help make his time in the city an easier one. The first piece of advise would be to ditch the armor before it got too hot or started to chafe. Dina giggled loudly looking at a bird as it ran across the sand. Jumping up, she ran after it and watched as it flew off into the sky. Turning the mother spotted her daughter whistling loudly; the child turned and came back to the swing with a laugh having fun. Jade was in a skirt and the snake bikini that Nya had brought to her as Dina's curls bounced over the snake skin bandana.
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on December 26th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Garland looked at Jade, it has been a long while. Garland had gone to Alvadas for a good while, sending his kids off to live with his grandfather while people were trying to kill him, and he's been out of contact with almost everyone from Syliras after that.

"You look great Jade," He said with Garland's trademark smile and charm. "Yes, let's get under some shade... The inside of this armor is absolutely boiling!" He said, he was visibly sweating right now, and pulled on the top of his armor, getting some ventilation into his armor.

"Yes, Dina, the twins can go play with you. What about you Ilia? Do you want to join?" Garland asked softly, a fatherly reassuring smile on his face. He gripped Ilia hand and looked at her. "Hey, don't worry, I won't be far."

"N-no, I'll stay with you..." Ilia said and gripped Garland's hand tighter, and moved closer to him. She was a very clingy child and considering what happened, he couldn't blame her.

"Of course, dear." He said and looked over to Jade and mouthed, "Don't ask, tell you later."

The twins on the other hand were quite exiceted to play with someone new, or even though they can't remember, someone they used to know. They nodded and followed Dina to the swing set, the twins have not seen swings before and looked on at awe.

Garland followed Jade, looking around the budding tropical town. "I-Is it always this hot? Isn't it winter? Shouldn't there be snow right now?" Garland was used to the heat in Syliras during summer and he could at least tough it out for a good two or three bells at least, but he's not gonna like one second of it.

"You were in Riverfall, with Ball? I must admit as great a fighter as Ball is... He's not a very good... people person, err... People Pycon. Unless being a people pycon means breaking people's kneecaps with a singular punch." He laughed at his somewhat truthful joke.

"Have I heard from Ferrin? I thought he would be with you? He's not here?" Garland was actually confused about this, Ferrin wasn't the type to just... walk out on his family. It seemed like it wasn't just his love interest that vanish from the face of Miz but also his close friends.

"Don't worry about clothes, I've got some clothes in my bag, and clothes for the kids too... The only problem is I don't really have a place to put my armor. I'm guessing there aren't any inns around here?" Garland fanned his face with his hand, trying to cool himself off, he was sweating quite a lot now.

The twins followed Dina's lead, since she was the biggest of the three of them, and they honestly have never seen a swing before since they grew up in Syliras inside a house and then moved to a big ship out at sea, they never really had much experience with things like this.

"I should probably tell you why I'm here, I've been tasked with making an outpost here, but... the higher-ups... sorta forgot to give me gold... or lumber... or a workforce... So basically I gotta do this on my own. Syliras is a bit in turmoil right now. Since we're not in Syliras, I think some form of corruption is happening high up and that's why the gates closed and dozens of squires and knights were sent off on insane missions or just free to roam around. Still, that's just a rumor."

The little baby girl in Ilia's arms started crying, Garland reached out his arm and took the child gently from Ilia's arms. He then took out a bottle from his bag filled with milk. "You haven't met these two yet, have you? This one Ilia--" Garland said, motioning to the reserved little girl sitting very close to Garland. "--and this little bundle of joy is Ilu."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jade Laken on December 27th, 2017, 5:36 am

Blue eyes watched the squire before her and smiled when he introduced the child beside him. She was not surprised when he expressed surprise to hear Ferrin had left her and Dina It had never seemed to be in his personality, but it seemed the old saying 'Don't judge a zibri by its horns' stood true to people as well. Her heart ached thinking about the fact he was gone and had not tried to find them, but she did not let her child see the hurt on her face. Shaking her head, the blond brought her mind back to the man before her.

“There are no inns, but the bungalow's are cheap to rent. Dina and I share one ourselves; when we are ready to go I will take you by the owners home so you can see about possibly getting one,” Jade stated, “true, he was a good man. But I just couldn't keep her there, I was so unsure of what I would do for work or who would keep her.”

Chuckling the blond looked over when her daughter came running up the stairs and over to her. Picking her up the little one curled up to her mother laughing. Smiling brightly, Jade instantly began tickling the child making her squeal and try to get away. After a few ticks, she let go and watched as Dina corralled the other to after her and back out to play in the sand.

“Yes, it should be cold. Have you not heard? Morwen did not leave Avanthal last winter. It has been a year since she last walked Mizahar,” Jade stated, “the Vantha were hunted at least last winter if not still hunted as punishment for her decision.”

It did not surprise her that the man spoke of rumors about Syliras closing its gates. She had really not spent any time thinking about what could of happened or really what had happened. The mother had been so focused on protecting her child; there was no guarantee that they were safe in Syka either. Jade took a deep breath and cleared her mind again before looking at Ilu and Ilia.

“Hello aren't you two just the prettiest little babies,” Jade said with a soft smile, “are they both yours Garland?”

After talking for several more chimes, Dina returned complaining of being hot and hungry. A soft smile played on the young drykas' lips before standing up and stretching. The heat of the day was beginning to get too uncomfortable, the mother invited the man to come back to the bungalow with them. Jade did not mind having company especially if it kept Dina entertained while she cooked.

“Why don't you and the children join us, Garland?” Jade asked with a smile, “mama always said a big family is better than no family especially at lunch time.”
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on December 28th, 2017, 8:53 am

Garland still couldn't quite believe what he was hearing, Ferrin left Jade and Dina? It just didn't make any sense to him, a sigh escaped his lips "Well, I'm not gonna be leaving here any time soon I think." He said with a smile and looked at the blond with a friendly reassuring smile, and slowly took her hand to comfort her.

The twins followed Dina, trying to get up the stairs, but not really going as fast. Little Aneka clambered up as quickly as she could before reaching the last step, giggling as she did.

"Pappap! Floaty hammock!" Aneka said and pointed to the swing set down below, she didn't really know what those things were and was just happy calling them what she thinks they should be called.

"Those are swings, Neeka." Garland said and picked her up to kiss her. Phobos on the other hand took a seat on one of the steps of the stairs and looked out to the sand, gnawing on his hand, he never really grew out of that habit of chewing on his hand...

Garland let go of Aneka and let her slowly step down the stairs, one foot at a time and meet with her brother, the twins followed closely behind, the swings were high up so they couldn't reach it.

"Wazzit do?" Phobos asked, trying to hop up to the swing, but not quite strong enough to pull himself up.

"Hmmm? Morwen still isn't back? I would think she'd be back at... a two year break from a god is not normal..." Garland said before just sighing and scratching at his neck, visibly sweating from the heat and his armor "Ugh... Is it always this hot here?"

Ilia held Garland's arm closer, almost as if trying to hide her face from Jade. "They're mine, but... not mine... Ilia and Ilu are... a friend's and she needed someone to take care of them while she... sorts some things out." Garland leaned in and went close to Jade's ear.

"She went missing and they don't have anyone else to take care of them." Garland whispered and stepped back. He turned his attention to Ilia and smiled. "You know you can play with the others, I won't be far."

"N-no..." She said simply and hugged Garland's arm tighter.

The twins were still playing in the sand, Phobos and Aneka giving up on trying to get on the swing and started digging holes in the sand. "Hmmm? Lunch? That sounds wonderful!" He said.

"Aneka! Phobos! Come, we're getting some lunch from aunt Jade!" He called out to the twins, making the twins groan.

"We wanna play!" They said in unison.

"You can play with Dina at their... What was it called? Bungalow? Their house! Come on." Garland said enthusiastically, a giant grin on his face.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jade Laken on December 29th, 2017, 2:34 am

Jade laughed when the man jumped up excitedly to go eat. She had forgotten what it felt like for someone to actually be excited for a meal. Everyone in Endrykas made time to sit down and have a meal together in the evenings. The blond did not realize how much of her culture, she had begun to miss. Dina ran up to the blond and grabbed her hand trying to pull her down the stairs. The little one was hungry and tired. The mother was surprised the child had not fallen asleep in the sand like before.

“I'm glad. It's nice to see a friendly face again,” Jade said with a smile.

Dina jumped down each step and turned back to look at her mother and uncle. The blond walked down calmly not in any hurry what so ever. She pouted at the adults before running up to her cousins; the child dared the other two to a race while laughing. The child had always been very competitive even in the orphanage. Shaking her head, Jade watched as the three lined up before taking off down the beach. It was not long before her daughter ended up tripping on something in sand. Wincing the mother did not bother running to her knowing that it would not bother her much.

“Ow! What did I trip on?” Dina asked and rubbed the sand off her face before looking back to where she had fallen.

Half buried in the sand was a rather large shell with a pointed tip. Scrambling around, she worked on digging it out. Picking it up the child turned it over before screaming and dropping it. Jade ran up hearing her scream and noticed the shell was moving on its own. Dina ran over and grabbed on her mother's arm while peaking around watching it.

“Mommy what is that!?” Dina asked scared.

“I do not know baby. Stay with your cousins,” Jade stated calmly.

She freed her arm from the child's grip and quickly followed it. The blond stayed to what appeared to be the rear of the strange creature. Side stepping quietly, a hand shot out and grabbed the end before picking it up. Stopping, she turned it over while holding it away from her face and body. Three sets of large legs moved quickly trying to get away as two large appendages snapped the air. Curious, Jade took out her kukri and watched the animal snap the blade and jerk it around with one arm.

“This is really weird. Let's take it with us and see what it is,” Jade said to the group.

Dina stayed close to Garland's side unsure what to make of the creature. Twisting the weapon around, she let it clamp on with the other arm. Kneeling down, the blond allowed the children to come around and look at it.
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on January 4th, 2018, 5:35 am

"You know, I'm barely out of my teens but I already feel old when I look at the kids and their boundless energy." Garland laughed and then got up from his seat and followed Dina down the stairs, Ilia and Ilu in tow.

"Dina has grown up a lot since the last time I've seen her, I remember she just liked drawing... Hey wait, do you still have that dog? The one you bought in Endrykas?" Garland asked, he had no qualms with dogs, but he wasn't quite sure how the kids would react, he was sure the twins have never seen a dog before

"Ilia, maybe you can show aunt Jade your fluting skills." Garland said, holding Ilia's hand gently.

She gave a smile and nod but then promptly stopped and frowned. "My flute's gone, it's with mommy." She said dejectedly.

Welp this is bad... and there's no music shop here...

"Don't worry Ilia, I'll make you a new flute! A better one!" Garland said with a large smile, he had no idea how to make wooden instruments at all, he could maybe make a hole through a tube but music is probably more complicated than that...

The twins knew how to walk and run, but they were still rather slow with it, of course Dina would be faster and the twins would trail behind, but the twins just seemed to enjoy running and didn't care if they won or not.

Then Dina tripped on something that sent her tumbling to the sand, she seemed find but Garland was the overprotective father type. He was about to rush over to Dina, but she seemed fine and got up.

Before long she was crying and rushing towards them. Then the shell started moving and scampering around in circles, maybe trying to bury itself in the sand again. Garland raised up his arm, wrist crossbow primed and ready to fire.

Jade went over to the creature and everyone just sorta crowded around it. "Is it a crab? They have pincers, I've seen shipments of crab in Syliras' docks before..."

Aneka wandered and looked at before running behind Garland, she didn't like the thing at all.

Phobos on the other hand knew what it was. "It's a hermit crab! Grandpap Edward caught one once and it bit sister when she wanted to play with it!" The little boy said and stepped back from it, rather not wanting to get bit.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jade Laken on January 8th, 2018, 5:47 am

Jade laughed gently when the young man started to crack jokes. There was not many who would try to make others feel better by making jokes about themselves. The blond knew exactly how he felt. Often times she forgot how young she truly was. At nineteen, the girl was a mother who did not know how to raise her daughter.

“Yes, Trayon has gotten much bigger, but he will not hurt the kids. Adults are another story; he can tell the difference between someone who is innocent, and who is a threat. But he listens well when I tell him to behave,” Jade said.

Dina slowly walked up when her mother knelt down. The creature head fast to Jade's blade while watching them all. After asking what the creature was, she was surprised to hear Phobos answer. The mother had not expected the two older children that Garland fathered to know. With a smile, the blond looked back down at the “hermit crab” and decided to release it. She was not sure if they could eat it or how to remove it from the shell. So it was just better to let it return to hiding.

“Dina, back up sweetie so I can let it go,” Jade said.

“Why can't we keep it mommy?” Dina asked with a pout.

“Because neither one of us know how to care for it,” Jade explained and walked over to the edge of the water.

With some effort the blonde managed to get the creature to let go of the blade. Turning it from her body again, she put it down before quickly backing away when it tried to snap her feet. Walking back over to her daughter and friend, the blond was happy that none of the kids had gotten hurt again. Even if it would not kill them she was sure it would have been very uncomfortable for the little ones.

“Okay, let's go eat I do not know about you. But I am starving,” Jade said with a laugh.

“Yay food!” Dina called excitedly.

Soon the three children were racing once again. Or more appropriately, Dina was running and the twins were chasing after her. A squeal was heard ahead of them as the two talked and laughed. Looking forward, the girl saw the child get tackled to the ground by the hound. Trayon loved all over Dina, before jumping off and running up to Jade. The girl stopped and braced herself for the impact as soon Drykas and hound were on the ground. Laughing, she covered her mouth to keep the animals tongue out of her mouth.
Jade Laken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next