Closed A Relaxed Introduction (Kelski)

Asha and Kelski meet and share conversation at the Kinell Hotsprings.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A Relaxed Introduction (Kelski)

Postby Asha on August 4th, 2014, 5:22 pm

13 Summer, 514

Evening was falling around Lhavit and the streets were nearly empty as Dusk’s Rest approached and bade the city’s citizens to relax. Asha found herself once again wandering the city’s streets as she often had since she had come to this city. Lhavit’s layout still confused her so she spent her free time wandering and building a mental map of the plazas, gardens, and magnificent skyglass structures that made up the city. She was still unused to the city’s strange resting and waking schedule and could not make her mind and body rest during the segmented breaks.

Her body felt tired and weary from days spent exploring the city and short forays into the Misty Peaks. The few trips she had attempted into the difficult mountain terrain had especially sapped her muscles of vigor and she felt heavy in a way that had nothing to do with how much she ate. A city built on such difficult terrain and geography as mountain peaks must surely have a place for its people to rest and recover their strength. She need only find it on one of her explorations. Asha’s gaze rested on a middle-aged human man standing to the side of the road, arranging the contents of a wooden box in his hand. Or perhaps she could skip the exploration and go straight to a hopefully knowledgeable source.

“Pardon me, sir. Do you by chance know of a good place to relax and rest one’s body?” Asha approached the man slowly and spoke with a smile on her face. He started at the sight of a large ape walking towards him but her speech seemed to reassure him that she was not an apparition or a danger. At least Asha hoped that was why he was seemed alright with conversing and not the several Shinya that seemed to be loitering casually on whatever street Asha was strolling down. She had tried to convince herself that the Shinya were merely out for regular patrols, but ultimately she knew she was being watched. She couldn’t blame them, she was a stranger and a member of a species that did not exactly blend in well.

“You might try the hotsprings? Kinell Hotsprings is the name of it. Lots of pretty sounding birds around, gave the springs it’s name.” he responded, nervousness made his voice wobble.

“Where could I find this hotsprings?” Asha asked, forcing herself to continue smiling. She did her best to not take offense to the man’s obvious discomfort of her general appearance and existence.

“ It’s about two miles from the Amaranthine Gates, the trail is rough but obvious. You can’t miss it.” He said and started to lean away, clearly wanting to leave. Asha thanked him and then stepped back to give him room to leave. The man walked away, glancing behind him occasionally to stare at Asha. She shrugged and turned to make her way to the Amaranthine Gates. She shouldn’t be too far from them.

A quarter bell later and the gates were rearing up before her, the skyglass catching twinkles of the first stars that were beginning to appear in the sky. Walking between the Amaranthine Gates Asha spotted a dirt trailing leading off into the Misty Peaks, although it appeared to hug the city boundary somewhat. Her feet carried her forward and soon dust was raised on the dirt path. It was only two miles, Asha should have easily made it there in half a bell, but the trail was rougher than she had expected. The man had mentioned it was rough, but Asha had thought that to mean lots of zig-zagging up and down hills. On this trail she found herself clambering over fallen rocks and edging around mind-boggling sudden drops at the side of the path.

Almost a full bell from when she left the Amaranthine Gates Asha suddenly found the hotsprings stretching out before her. The waters appeared green and twinkled with the reflection of starlight. Asha stepped her foot down onto a rocky ledge two feet beneath the water and lowered her body, sweaty and weary from the jaunt on the trail, down into the steaming water. A contented sigh escaped from her and she settled back against the edge of the hotsprings. The journey had been rough but this contentment was certainly worth it.
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Words: 172478
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kelski on August 19th, 2014, 4:12 am

Most people wouldn't think a bird would love the water. But Kelski did. She loved everything about it. She loved the tang of the sea, licking salt spray off her lips, and even this heated fresh water mineral bath did something to her muscles and her soul that made the kelvic simply smile. Here, at the hotsprings, there was almost no one ever here in the late afternoons on towards early evenings. Kelski loved that fact. She liked being alone to swim because humans were so odd about nudity and had so many social hangups about their bodies. It annoyed her to no end. If she had company that didn't care... that was perhaps another kelvic, then she'd really have enjoyed the afternoon and stayed most of the evening.

Kelski wasn't beyond building a fire and illuminating the hotsprings a bit if it grew too dark. She knew how and the night did not scare her. But before then she wanted to take advantage of the heat and light of the day and scout out the hotsprings. And to do so, she shucked her clothing, waded into the water, and began looking around. It was shallow around the edges, and not so far across that she couldn't sharply SEE the other side. Though, truthfully had the other side been a mile or two away, she still could have sharply seen it with her eagle's gaze. But what she loved was the fact that she could frolick in the water with no tides to pull and toss her, no waves to try and dunk her, and certainly no salt to sting her wounds had she had any. Instead she could play at swimming, splashing back and forth and practicing how to hold her breath, how to float, and what other things needed learning.

It was a freedom she'd never had time to enjoy before.

But now the kelvic did, and she practiced her swimming. First things first she waded out until she was barely on the tips of her toes and leaned back, letting her arms stretch wide, and fell back into the water. Kelski had watched newly born sea lions learning to swim this way. She relaxed, let the water cradle her, and tried to float.

It was far harder than it looked. She had to concentrate, and the way the sounds of the hotsprings echoed under the water was distracting. Her breathing was harsh in her own ears, and she had to keep telling her body to relax. Even wet, she felt sweaty, her chest rising and falling as she tired to force her body to float.

It wasn't easy.

So she turned to her belly and like a puppy began to paddle around. She laughed at this, finding it easier to maneuver as she tried it this way. Kelski soon realized she'd never quite get very far very fast this way... but she laughed anyhow.

The Kelvic rarely laughed. But playing in the water was fun. She splashed at nothing and was so distracted by her play that she didn't realize she wasn't alone any longer. It wasn't the scent of the Jamoura, nor was it the graceful at ease with the world way the female moved that caught Kelski's attention. It was the deep soulful eyes that seemed to reach across the water and lock with hers that brought the kelvic up short. She sank almost immediately, sputtered to the surface, backed up until she was in more shallow water and breathed a few deep breaths.

"Hello." She called out, as if to show that she wasn't unfriendly. Her voice was pitched to carry across the water to where the Jamoura stood. But it was also infused with embarrassment, frustration, and a bit of sheepish self incrimination.

"I was just trying to swim." She said in way of explanation. Kelski had never met a Jamoura of course, but she'd heard about them and seen them from a distance in Alvadas. They weren't predators as far as she knew and just by the warm brown of the female's eyes, Kelski figured the rumors were true. There was nothing sinister or threatening about the creature standing at the edge of the hotsprings. Instead, there was something worldly and utterly wise about her.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Asha on August 20th, 2014, 2:07 pm

A muddy cloud formed around Asha beneath the water as the dust from the trail was rinsed away in the hotsprings. Asha watched as the dirt dispersed and settled after a few moments. The warm water massaged her tired muscles and a contented smile came unbidden to her lips. She gazed up and met the grey eyes of a naked human woman. Surprised, Asha had a sharp intake of breath as the woman spluttered in the water seeming just as surprised by Asha’s presence. Internally, Asha swore at herself for not being more careful and scouting the location before stepping right in but the water had looked so inviting and comforting.

Asha’s muscles tensed for a moment but then the woman called out a hesitant hello. She relaxed and inspected the woman across the hotsprings through the deepening dark of the falling evening. Those grey eyes…. she couldn’t be human. Asha had seen humans with greyish eyes but they usually had hints of blue or green, not this straight grey. She considered that perhaps the woman was a Kelvic. Asha had plenty of experience with Kelvics back in the Spires, they were perhaps the species she had come into contact with most besides her own growing up. Kelvic travelers had a much easier time finding and traveling to the hidden treetop city than humans.

“Oh, hello. Pardon my intrusion I didn’t realize anyone was here. The water looked so lovely I just jumped right in. Do you mind if I’m here? You were here first.” Asha called back to the woman, and offered her a friendly smile. Asha had perfected her friendly smile since arriving in Lhavit. It was her first line of defense against those who were hesitant or intimidated by her appearance. Gentle Asha found it almost hilarious that people were intimidated by her, but she also felt a little guilty for disrupting their peaceful days.

The night was clear and the light of Leth and Zintila’s stars made the hotspring pool glow with gentle light. A soft warble called out beyond the edge of the hotspring and Asha turned to look as a small, colorful bird responsible for the beautiful sound hopped onto the low branch of a tree. Two more colorful birds hopped onto the tree as well and joined the first’s soft warble to make a haunting trio of audial beauty. Asha had come across many songbirds in her life but none had ever made as beautiful of a sound as these birds did. The song made her feel calmer, more peaceful. With a more genuine smile, Asha turned back to gaze at the grey-eyed woman across the pool from her.
Asha
Who is really the beast?

Words: 172478
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2012, 9:16 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Kelski on September 21st, 2014, 6:54 pm

Asha could tell Kelski wasn't that great of a swimmer. She frolicked like a child, padding awkwardly, and sliding beneath the water more than she stayed afloat. But the woman didn't seem worried about drowning. And in fact, often paused to stand up in the more shallow parts of the hotspring to catch her breath. She didn't seem bothered by Asha's appearance either. And when the Jamoura asked her if she minded, Kelski shook her head that she didn't.

When she got close enough to speak without shouting, the Kelvic did so. "No, not at all. I'm... glad for the company." The young woman said. Her words were punctuated slightly by the fact her head slipped under water quite a bit and interrupted her sentences. "In fact, I am glad for more company... especially someone who talks. I don't mind the birdsong that fills the trees around the pool, but as beautiful as they are, the little ones aren't much for conversation. " Kelski said, swimming up beside Asha and touching her on the arm lightly as if to see if she was really furry or if she was just wearing a coat of some kind.

"I have not traveled much and I am new to the city, but I have to admit I've never seen someone that looks like you. You don't look human. I don't mean to offend, but do you mind telling me if you are of another race and if so which one?" Kelski had lived a very sheltered life. In Alvadas she was rarely left to roam. And here, she hadn't made the trek to Lhavit on foot. She'd flown and thus bypassed all the lands between having just seen them from the sky. Asha was pretty in her own way, unusual from the others in the city that Kelski had seen. Her eyes reminded the jeweler of tiger eye that was in a warmer hue. She could make out flashes of a dozen tones of brown and occasionally gold in Asha's gaze. It made Kelski brave enough to look her straight in the eye when they spoke.

"I'm new to this place myself. I just came here this season to become a jeweler and to start a new life away from the one I'd been living in Alvadas. Someone killed my old master there so I finally made some decisions on how my life would go without someone telling me what to do. Then I heard a few men speak of Lhavit down on the docks.. and how the city was in the sky. I thought it would be a good place for a kelvic like me. Us birds like the sky." The girl confessed, settling into a warm stone seat not far from where Asha was lingering.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on January 21st, 2018, 10:46 pm

Kelski

Experience: Observation +1, Swimming +1, Planning +1, Socialization +1, Interrogation +1

Lores: Socialization: Meeting Asha

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)