Completed Freedom

Ren makes a bid for freedom

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Freedom

Postby Rene Rafar on June 4th, 2018, 3:21 am

Timestamp: 2nd day of Summer 518 AV

Ren woke just before dawn the sun was just starting to light the clear morning sky with its bright red and pink hues. The young girl stretched and threw back her covers to face a new day of chores and whatever else S’vantia would want her to do that day.

As she dressed, Ren's mind wandered back to the day she met Kelski and their new friendship. Her smile quickly faded as she remembered S’vantia's reaction when she told the older woman about her new friend. It didn't go at all the way she thought it would. Instead of being happy that Ren had made a friend, S’vantia scolded her saying she had failed her test. When Ren repeated what she was told to do the older woman told her she was to "watch and learn" not chat and make friends. After that day the old woman was not the same person Ren knew. In fact the young kelvic girl was lucky to get just one meal a day and what mizas she used to get for running packages was taken away as soon as she got back. If she tried to hide even a small coin she would be severely punished with no meals at all.

Now she was locked in her little attic room at night and only let out when S’vantia let her for what ever task she was given.

I should just runaway and never look back but where would I go? Its not as if I have a place to stay... Well that's not true there is the Tent City. Good thing I hid my backpack in the hay loft a couple days ago. If there comes a time I would ever need it then I know its there... The girl thought as she finished getting dressed.

Ren's head whipped around at the sound of foot steps coming up the stairs. A moment later the door was unlocked and in walked S’vantia. "Good you're up," growled the older woman a little disappointed she wasn't able to hurry the young girl along with a switch. "Now go feed the birds."

"Yes Nan... I mean S’vantia." Ren replied as she hurried pass the woman eyeing the switch in her hand. It wouldn't be the first time she would feel its sting nor she feared would it be the last either.

By Mid-after noon Ren had finished feeding and cleaning the bird cages when S’vantia walked over with a package, "I have another task for you. It is of the most importance." S’vantia told the girl. "I want you to take this package to the Plantation. You mess this up girl and the punishment will be very severe."

"Yes Ma'am. I'll take it as soon as I put the hay fork back in the barn." Ren replied taking the package. Now's my chance to get out of here. I just need to get my backpack. She thought as she went and did as she was told.

A bell later Ren arrived at the plantation to deliver her package to Nevaeh. She hoped that she could leave as quickly as possible without causing any unwanted attention or trouble from this six armed man. His reputation for extreme violence was well know to all of the Night Eyes.

Seeing a passing slave Ren asks "Excuse me, can you possibly point me to were I may find Nevaeh?"

The slave just nodded toward the main house as he continued on his way without saying a word. Swallowing hard Ren made her way over to the house and knocked politely on the door.

"Can I help you?" Came a gruff voice behind her.

"I'm looking for Nevaeh, I've a package for him from S’vantia." The young girl replied.

"Ah well, then lets go inside. He is currently in his office. The man walked passed her and open the door leading the way to Nevaeh's office. "Excuse me sir, S’vantia set a runner with a package for you."

"Greigan show the girl in. I've been expecting you." The six arm man looked up from what he was doing. "Good to see that you delivered the package unharmed, now set it on my desk and leave. Here is your payment."

Ren did as she was told, pocketed her coins and left with out saying a word. As soon as she was out of the house, she took off leaving the plantation far behind. Walking back up to the market to buy any supplies she would be needing. She knew one thing she wasn't going to go back to S’vantia's to live ever again.

(Seaside Market)

Ren walked up and down the rows of mercant stalls looking for an tent and a bedroll for her new life.

As she walk she took her time to look around. She had been to the market many times in the past but she never really took her time. She was enjoying herself for what seemed like the first time in forever. She could hear merchants calling their wares. There were of so many different kinds of things. Then she saw what she was looking for. "Tents! I have Tents here!" Cried a heavy set Mercant. "Well a day young lady, what can I help you find on this fine day?"

"Well I could use a one person tent." Ren smiled at the man. "I also need the following and I see that you have them."

The man smiled back "I should hope so and a fair price to please. Let me know what you need."

"Very well here is what I'm looking for: one person tent, 1 bedroll, 1 (pint) flask oil, 1 fishing pole, 1 fishing kit, 1 hooded lantern, 1 iron kettle, and finally 1 iron pot." As Ren called out her list the mercant collected them.

"Here you go young lady everything you asked for." The man told here the price of everything as he was carefully setting the smaller packages in the Iron pot. Ren carefully reach in to her coin pouch and counted out the correct change. "Thank you please come again." With that Ren turned and headed out to see if she can claim a place in Tent City.
Rene Rafar
Player

Words: 47214
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2018, 2:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Freedom

Postby Dusti on June 5th, 2018, 3:12 pm

The sun was shining, birds were chirping, people bustled in the apartment corridor like it was a wonderful day. But the Kelvic knew better, her swollen eyes took everything with a hazy glaze that could mirror a drunks. It cast a pallor that suited her better, matched her forgotten pants, shirt barely covering past her thighs as she wandered aimlessly. Dusti had woken to an empty apartment, bodies both living and dead gone, a note she couldn’t read left behind. She’d eaten it out of annoyance then shifted to yell for someone but her voice was far to cracked. Rather than change back she’d slipped on a shirt and went to look for her missing family.

Encouraging the image of drunk with her clothes, Dusti pursued it a step further unconsciously, stumbling down the hall, head swinging back and forth looking for people and bumping into those that weren’t her people. The farther she got from her previous home the less she thought of finding them, a new purpose beating through her. Run. Flee. Away from things she didn’t want in a Season she wanted over though it had only just begun. Around people she wove as best she could, the sun piercing the Kevics eyes and making her squint, sweat from nerves already forming along her back, itching. A sharp pause, eyes roving and she giggled nervously when no one familiar had appeared. It wouldn’t be physically possible to go back, her feet barely remembered to move her forward.

But they’d remember quick enough, the toddler-like stumbling turning to a half jog as she sniffed the air, unable to truly scent anything. But it was free of the smell of decay, free of the smell of home. Eyes stinging again Dusti put on more speed, loping forward like before her throat could close too tight to get air. It was hard to keep her breathing even, reminding herself to close her mouth, breathe through her nose. Focus on her arms motion, focus on one foot in front of the other, focus—

Focus.

Focus.

Focus.

Focus.

Focus.

Tent!

The tent popped out of nowhere, Dusti hadn’t even noticed when she’d fled the to the outskirts of the city but her lungs reminded her sternly when she stumbled to a stop. Head smacking into the tent in the young womans arms, the sting of it causing her tears to finally spill over. If she knocked over the woman things the Kelvic wasn’t sure yet but apologies muffled out all the same as she rubbed her head.

“Sorry, sorry, sorry—wasn’t looking.” She gasped out between heavy gulps of air and knees knocking from the suddenness of her running and the stop. Raising her head Dusti took in the supplies, and eyes the other woman through blurry eyes, “Are you from Tent City?”

A tingle of recognition shot through her, Kelvics bred their own familiarity but she couldn’t trust some woman she just met with her tears, especially not when she was either just coming in from outside the city or worse, moving from within. Hastily Dusti swiped at her eyes, apologies dying from her lips but unable to leave for misplaced guilt of knocking into the woman.
Dusti
Player

Words: 14484
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2018, 5:36 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Freedom

Postby Rene Rafar on June 5th, 2018, 8:36 pm

After buying her supplies Ren made her way to Tent City just barely able to see over her loaded arms so she didn't even see who or what had ran into her. As they collided Ren fell backwards and all her stuff went scattering. "Oh!" the young girl cried in startled surprise.

Looking up Ren saw a very distressed young girl wearing a shit and no pants if this wasn't enough to tell her the girl was kelvic the now familiar feeling of buzzing in the back of her head told her it was another of her kind. She heard the young girl panting out an apology. "No it is I who should say sorry if my arms weren't full I could see were I was going better." The young woman smiled as she started to gather up her things again. "No but I am on my way there. Are you hurt?" She asked looking over her shoulder seeing the girl rubbing her head also taking in the look of distress the girl was in.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Freedom

Postby Dusti on June 11th, 2018, 5:15 am

“I’m fine,” Dusti lied, words slipping out easily if not completely contrary to her face and tone, her face scrunching up again in preparation for more tears. Her voice was one hitch away from hysterical laughter but she she forced herself to bend quickly, stuffing things into her arms, “We gotta pick it up quick or the kids here will pick it up quicker. Apartments are nice, more locks, don’t leave your stuff out or you won’t have it.”

The Kelvic muttered out quickly, tone flat with advice her own mother had given her before urging her out of the house then abandoning her in her death. And though her tears spilled over she ignored them, pretending they didn’t exist just as if the last day hadn’t existed. Finding some mindless task to do would distract her on some level. Arms filled with whatever she could help carry she eyed the red head with a measure of impatience and curiosity, brows tilting, “Where to? Whats your name?”

As she spoke she blatantly checked out the other woman, taking in her hair and soft features. She was pretty, prettier than most who lived in the city of tents, she wondered at exactly what it was this other Kelvic did but kept her lips pressed tight, afraid of what might come out instead. Rather than really wait for the girl to pick her own home spot, Dusti strode off with the red-heads supplies, jerking her head in a ‘follow-me’ manner.

“Don’t got all day. Lets go.”

Though she meant it to be more friendly Dusti could barely matin a gruff countenance, wanting nothing more than to run back home and curl into a ball. She could wither right along side her mother and this city would still go on. That fact that the season could even go one hurt her in a place she couldn’t name, the brief companionship and familiarity of another Kelvic easing the sting like a worn bandage. With a shaky breath the Kelvic pulled the supplies closer to her chest, hugging them as if it were a childs toy for comfort as her lips trembled stubbornly.
Dusti
Player

Words: 14484
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2018, 5:36 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Freedom

Postby Rene Rafar on June 11th, 2018, 9:19 am

Ren heard the falseness of the girls voices well as the girl's body language taking in the girl's disheveled look she could see this young kelvic was distraught about something though she didn't know what and she felt as if it was really none of her business so she didn't ask.

"Thank you for your advice as well as your help. " She replied as hurrying she gathered her stuff and picked up her pace by lengthening her stride to match the other girl's half run down down through the ally ways that lead to Tent City.

"I'm going to Tent City from there... I haven't gotten that far yet. Sorry I'm being rude my name is Ren. I really do appreciate your help and advice."

Thinking to herself Ren decided to find out more about this young kelvic the one way she knew how and that was by watching and listening for anything the girl may let slip.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Freedom

Postby Kynier on June 21st, 2018, 7:22 pm

It was proving to be a rough day which wasn’t very surprising. Having been visited by a pair of burglars and a ghost the previous night Kynier failed to obtain much sleep. Dark bags clung to the underside of his eyes. Somehow he managed to set one foot in front of the other in his exhausted state. Even that was becoming difficult. In the predawn bells Kynier was out on the streets following a specific courier. For some reason the fellow had come to Doler’s attention. Kynier’s responsibility was to track where he went for a few days. Today was the second day. Like the first day, the courier was going all over the city.

Now the message giver was stepping out of the edges of the city in the direction of Tent City. Closing the distance between them to ten paces, Kynier followed him into the field of poverty. Briefly he felt more awake as he stepped into the maze of canvas shelters. But only due to the unexpected smell, which was rancid. While wading through several hands reached out towards him as some people pleaded for gold, silver, or even copper. He wasn’t well dressed. All of his clothes were of simple make and design, and he left his cloak at home due to the rising temperatures. The sleeves of his shirt also had a few rips across the forearms from a few fights he had been in. Through one a person could see a tightly wrapped bandage on his left forearm.

Ignore the please around him, Kynier followed the courier to a larger tent deep in the settlement. Walking around he found a nice open spot that allowed him a good view of the tent’s entrance. Sitting down with a heavy sigh he felt better instantly. His feet were getting sore from tracking this man so far. Kynier stretched out his legs and set his arms behind him to brace his upper body. The grass still felt cool to the touch despite the heat from the day. Patiently waiting, he felt his eyes attempt to close on him in his relaxed state. He needed some sort of distraction to keep him awake. Kynier leaned forward and wrapped his hand around his feet, stretching the sore muscles of his legs. The discomfort was enough to stimulate his mind. After holding it for a time he propped a knee up and pushed against it with his elbow to stretch his back.

As his head turned away he notice a pair of females approaching his location. Both were carrying some sort of equipment. The dark curly haired one appeared to be wearing a shirt a nothing else. Kynier scoffed. He was pretty sure if she went back into the main city like that she would find herself in an undesirable situation and quickly. The other was smaller in size and frame, but had an immense mane of tawny golden hair. Kynier twisted around the other way to stretch the other side of his back. Turning his head a little further allowed him to track the female’s movements. They weren’t walking close to each other, so there was probably a lack of familiarity between them. That was more evident with the one without pants turned to the other and handed over what she carried, as though to leave.
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Freedom

Postby Rene Rafar on June 22nd, 2018, 1:16 am

A bit surprised by how abruptly the young girl she as following stopped outside a large tent. "Thank you again for your help." Watching the girl turn and hand her stuff back without another word left her deep in the heart of Tent City.

In fact Ren had never been this deep into the city before now. I didn't really think this through very well. She thought to herself starting to feel nervous and uneasy she took in the site before her as she was projecting the air of someone that has business. To late now time to see if I can't find a place to call mine. Squaring her shoulders she proceeded to look for an empty slot to set up her tent.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Freedom

Postby Kynier on June 23rd, 2018, 2:52 pm

As the curly haired one left the other kept advancing. Kynier sighed as he stopped stretching his back and got to his feet. As he did ne noticed a few of the residents of Tent City watching him. Not the children or the elderly either. Kynier avoided making direct eye contact with them but tried to ascertain the meaning behind their gaze. Slowly panning his vision he could see that a few of them were watching with disdain. That gave him an uneasy feeling. All of Kynier’s previous experiences with Tent City had been more on the outskirts. While he wasn’t close to the heart of the place, he was deeper than he’d ever been before.

“Seems as though you’re in for a short welcome.”

Kynier quickly turned to the small woman, “Are you looking for an open space?” Kynier stepped back to indicate the place he’d been lying in a chime before. “There’s one over here.” He didn’t know if his idea would work. His only other option was to leave and he couldn’t do that until the courier came out of the tent. It was nagging at his curiosity what message was being delivered that could take so long.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Freedom

Postby Rene Rafar on June 23rd, 2018, 10:50 pm

Ren smiled to the young man that had spoken to her seeing from where he was standing. "Yes, but I don't want to take your space I could find another."

Out of the corner of her eye she saw a group of unfriendly people gathering around with out meaning to she clutched her supplies closer to her body. Thinking quickly she decided it would be better to be closer to this male then on her own in the middle of the street.

Walking over to him Seeing that he had no tent or supplies to hold clam to this open place she gratefully set her stuff down with a sigh. "You don't know by chance how to set up a tent? I have to admit I have never really had the need before now to use one." Giving a shy smile in hopes this young man would be willing and able to help her out.
Rene Rafar
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Freedom

Postby Kynier on June 25th, 2018, 3:34 am

The girl noticed the same attention that he had just a chime before. They way she moved closer to him when realizing that made him think that she wouldn't be of much assistance in an altercation. He couldn't see a weapon on her, though she could have it concealed. Instead of braving the uncharitable paths of Tent City she decided to take the place he had been. Kynier watched as she set down her camping equipment in the clear patch of grass. She looked up at him a smile and pleading hope in her eyes.

Setting up a tent was something he hadn't done in... Kynier wasn't sure if he had ever actually set up one before. He knelt down on the other side of the equipment. "No, actually. It can't be that hard though." Kynier carefully unwrapped the bundle of equipment and took inventory. He set each item in neat stacks. The stakes, ropes, wooden posts of varying lengths, and tent canvas. The bedroll and other supplies he kept separate from the task at hand. Kynier looked over everything for a chime as he tried to imagine how it would all fit together.

Eventually he looked up at the girl with a bit of smirk tugging on one side of his face. "I don't suppose you know what the end result is supposed to look like?" Kynier picked up the canvas and unfolded it. There were holes that seemed strategically made along the edges. He examined them curiously.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next