Solo A Budding Opportunity

Sophia gets a job.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Budding Opportunity

Postby Sophia Sunshore on July 29th, 2018, 8:12 pm

12, Summer, 518 a.v.

Sophia wandered along the top edge of the beach, eyes roaming over the beautiful settlement that was Syka. The jungles looming over her from the right, and the oceans that stretched out as far as she could see to her left. Occasionally she would spot a tent on the beach, or a modest dwelling that must have been built by Randal. She was following the direction the carpenter had indicated and was currently on her way to find Uta, Syka's resident botanist. He hadn't given her a lot to go on, but with a settlement as small as this, she figured that she would find the woman fairly quickly.

She paused for a moment to adjust the bags she was carrying. The large tent was quite unwieldy, especially when one added in the rucksack stuffed with everything she had purchased in Riverfall before her journey. Her Tavan, Pearl, was also not helping matters. The small seabird had the odd quirk of liking to run around when on land, rather than flying like most normal birds. It wouldn't be too much of an issue if it weren't for the fact that she liked to run around Sophia's feet.

Trying her best not to step on the little prion, Sophia hiked the bags up again and continued on her way. Someone came into view, heading in the opposite direction, and he offered her a smile. "Morning, haven't seen you before - did you just arrive on the traders ship?" The Svefra nodded. "Ah, yes I did!" The man inclined his head ever so slightly. Well, welcome to Syka, name's Stu. D'you know where you're heading?"
Sophia brightened - perhaps he would know where Uta was? "I'm Sophia, it's good to meet you! I don't suppose you know where Uta is?"

Stu paused for a moment before shaking his head. "Don't know where she is at the moment, probably in the trees somewhere, but if you wait near her house I'm sure she will turn up. You need to go a little into the jungle but it's not far, will be the next place you come across from here." Sophia thanked him and Stu wandered off in the direction of the city core with a wave.

She trekked onwards, lugging her bags after her, keeping her eyes on the trees. She hoped that there would be an obvious sign when she came across the place where the botanist lived. Sure enough, she soon found herself at a stream running from the jungles onto the beach, and as she looked up the water she thought she could see a dwelling suspended over it. She approached the edge of the trees and paused before shrugging off her tent bag. She didn't fancy lugging that through the trees at the moment and hoped that all the residents of Syka were as friendly as the two she had come across and would leave her belongings where they were. The backpack came with her though, even though she wasn’t going far it made her nervous to enter the trees with nothing.

Treading a little more carefully now, Sophia stepped into the trees proper. Even just a little ways off the beach the increase in humidity was immediately apparent. She could feel the little hairs at the nape of her neck starting to curl with dampness. Picking her way along where the river ran, she took a moment to look up. The trees towered above her, great giants capped with green. Climbers wrapped themselves around the thick trunks, vines hanging from the outstretched branches. Aside from the odd bird flitting about, Sophia couldn't see any other animals, but she could sense they were there.

Eventually she was beneath the home that she assumed could only belong to Uta. She couldn't see anyone up there at the moment, but she carefully ascended a step and peered round. "Hello?" She hoped that perhaps her voice might alert to botanist, wherever she was hiding. After a small pause where nobody made themselves known, Sophia turned and settled herself onto the bottom step. She wanted to wait where she would be found, but still keeping a respectable distance from the botanist’s personal space, even if there was not front door. Or walls for that matter.
NOTE: During the Fall Sophia is a Dhani, specifically a golden eyelash viper. See here for more detailed info.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Words: 193757
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2018, 5:26 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

A Budding Opportunity

Postby Sophia Sunshore on July 29th, 2018, 8:13 pm

She didn’t know how long she had sat there, but after a while her eyes became more accustomed to the dimmer light in the jungle and she started to be able to pick out things that she hadn’t managed to see before. Sophia had spent some time watching a snake slowly make its way along a branch not too far from where she was sat. It wasn’t particularly large for a snake or so she thought – Sophia had heard the stories – but she had spotted it due to it’s colouring. The snake was a beautiful bright orange with it’s underbelly bordering on yellow. She was so fascinated by the reptile that she didn’t hear the footsteps that signalled the return of the botanist.

”That’s a tree boa. Pretty coloured one too.” Sophia gave a start and turned to see a pair of shoes just in the entrance to the house. She quickly stood so she could properly see – and therefore introduce herself to – Uta. The woman was looking past Sophia, her gaze clearly having followed Sophia’s, though attention was soon turned to the Svefra. Sophia smiled hesitantly.
“I hope you can forgive me intruding on you at your home – My name is Sophia, I was directed here by, uh… Stu?” She paused for a moment. “Randal told me that I should come and speak to you about a job.”

Uta studied her for a moment. ”You want to work for me? I study plants, though I assume Randal would have told you that already?” Sophia nodded. “Yes he did. I was in Riverfall to study plants there but then I found out about this place. Obviously I’m not familiar with these types of plants but I am eager to learn.” The botanist almost smiled before speaking again. ”Well I can certainly teach you about plants, but I also need help cataloguing new plants that I find. That is the most important part. I think that there are many, many plants here that can be used for all sorts, including medicine. You also need to be happy to come with me into the rainforest proper.” Sophia nodded eagerly.

“I have a basic understanding of how to sort plants. And I am hoping that I can be useful to help you catalogue anything new.” She shifted her arm to show Uta her mark. The botanist raised her eyebrows a little. ”That could certainly come in useful. Although that looks like the grassland across the water?” Sophia nodded in the small pause Uta left. ”Either way, I understand you should have some ability to communicate wherever you are so we can definitely use that.” Uta nodded, seemingly more to herself than Sophia before motioning the girl up the steps, turning to head into her home.

”I work from my home, so you’ll come here for the most part.” Sophia took in the main area with the low desk complete with seating cushions, and the seemingly endless piles of notes interspersed with the occasional plant sample. There were a few stacks of papers on the desk being held in place with some small rocks. Uta followed her gaze. ”Those are my most recent notes. I need to write them up properly soon.” Sophia flicked her eyes to the botanist. ”Basically, I go out into the rainforest and collect samples of plant species that are new to us and bring them back. Then I preserve them so that they can be studied and catalogued appropriately. There’s a lot in there that we know already but more that we don’t. Fortunately we have enough edibles that we don’t have to do too much testing right now.”

Sophia looked vaguely alarmed at this latest statement and Uta waved her hand dismissively. ”Don’t worry about that, I’ll do any testing if we need it. I’ve got a good process and it hasn’t failed me yet.” Only fractionally mollified, Sophia turned back to the botanist’s desk. ”Can you write and draw?” A small nod. “I can write yes. Drawing I can’t say I have done much of before.” She paused as Uta handed her a journal of some sort. Flicking it open she saw pages filled with neat and precisely labelled botanical drawings, detailed notes filling the rest of the space until a new illustration appeared.

”Well, you should practise. I want you to help me write up these scraps of paper.” Uta moved over to carefully transfer some of the papers to the floor, leaving a selection on the desk and enough space for the two of them to work side-by-side. ”Got anything to write with?” Sophia shrugged off her backpack and pulled out the empty journal she had bought over with her. ”Good. Transfer some of my completed work into that so you can see how its laid out, and so you can start learning some of the plants you’ll find here. Don’t need you trying to collect stuff we’ve already identified.”
NOTE: During the Fall Sophia is a Dhani, specifically a golden eyelash viper. See here for more detailed info.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

A Budding Opportunity

Postby Sophia Sunshore on July 29th, 2018, 8:15 pm

Sophia paused for a moment, a little surprised at having a task already. Uta didn’t seem to notice, having settled herself at the table to start writing up some of her latest discoveries. Eventually she made herself comfortable at the desk and leafed through the journal to decide what to copy. She skipped a few of the plants she recognised such as mangoes and bamboo and settled on something called Tamarind.

First Sophia worked on copying the drawing. She carefully drew a spindly branch with a couple more even thinner ones coming off it. Next she tried to draw the fruit itself. It was bean shaped, and she drew some rather shaky, curving shapes hanging down from the branches. Uta’s drawing had been finished with shading, so Sophia attempted to copy that too. The shading gave the pod a bumpy appearance, although Sophia’s attempt didn’t really work to show that at all. In the end she only tried on a couple of the pods she had drawn lest she render them all indistinguishable blobs.

Next, Sophia added in the notes to go along with her rudimentary drawing.
The tamarind tree is a medium height tree that tends to grow in sunnier areas. Branches droop from a single trunk and flowers with red and yellow blooms. The fruit is a juicy pulp and grows encased in a hard brown shell. When the flesh is brown or red-brown it is mature and ready for use. Fruit can be eaten on its own. Young fruit is quite sour, but it sweetens as pods mature. Tamarind fruit can be made into a paste, an oil, or used as a preserve. Tamarind can also be used in medicine. Fruits can be made into a poultice to alleviate headaches, or eaten in larger quantities to act as a laxative.

Sophia sat back and squinted at her drawing. While she knew what it was, it was probably unlikely that anyone using her book would be able to find what she had drawn out in the jungles. She turned the page and moved onto a different plant to try again. This page held information about a non-fruit tree and after a quick read she decided it would be useful information to copy.
The drawing went down first, starting with a shaky like for a thin branch. Onto this went a few leaves, meant to be pointed ovals, although Sophia’s were most definitely not quite that accurate. She hesitantly drew a few veins onto each leaf before adding in another stem in front that were for what she assumed were berries. They were small circles with a thick stalk to hold them. Circles Sophia could do and were probably the most precise part of her drawing.

She declined to shade this one at all, lest she ruin her semi-decent attempt and moved on to the notes again.
Camphor is a plant with many uses. As a tree it has a short, thick trunk with a wide-spreading canopy. The leaves are shiny and green, and it flowers with small yellow and white flowers, which are followed by black fruits, each containing one seed. Camphor oil is extracted from the bark and leaves (bark gives the most) through steam distillation. Only the white oil should be used. Camphor can be used in perfumes and soaps, and also as an insect repellent. It can also be used in small quantities as medicine, helping with joint pain, and can even be applied externally to aid with breathing problems.

Sophia paused and stretched her fingers. Uta peered over at her work and gave a small nod. ”Okay, well you can definitely work on that. Not bad though, stick to line drawing for now.” The botanist glanced outside for a moment. ”Do you have somewhere to stay here? You might want to head there now before it starts to get dark.” Sophia shook her head. “I need to find 5 acres where I can stay. I have a tent to put up.” ”You like the beach?” Another nod from the Svefra. ”Well there’s plenty of empty beachfront between the Core and here. You’ll also get a decent amount of rainforest too if you claim a place there.”

The Svefra stood and placed her journal into her backpack. “Thank you, it sounds like a good place to try!” It sounded like the perfect location for her – close to the useful community buildings, close to where she would be working, and she would have both the sea and the trees to enjoy. She stepped towards the door. ”See you in the morning then?” She paused and grinned. “Definitely, thank you!” Uta waved a hand. ”No bother, I’m not going to turn away help, especially when it’s as enthusiastic as you.”

Sophia made her way back to where she had left her tent bag, carefully removing a rather alarming-looking caterpillar with a stick before hefting it onto her shoulder. Trudging down to the beach again to scope out the suggested land she couldn’t help but smile, excited at how her life was already unfolding on Syka already on her first day here.
Sophia Sunshore
Plant Lady

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1)

A Budding Opportunity

Postby Okara on July 30th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Sophia Sunshore

Observation 3
Rhetoric 2
Drawing 1
Copying 1
Botany 1
Herbalism 1
Socialization 1

Stu Alkamar: Appearance
Syka Location: Uta’s Dwelling
Uta: Needs Help Cataloguing Plants
Botany: Tamarind, Characteristics and Growing Conditions
Herbalism: Medicinal Properties of Tamarind
Botany: Camphor, Characteristics
Herbalism: Medicinal Properties of Camphor
Herbalism: Camphor’s Use in Perfume, Soaps, and Insect Repellant
Philtering: Camphor Oil is Extracted Through Steam Distillation
Rewards/Penalties/Notes
It’s exciting to see Sophia starting down her path of learning more about plants. This was a very well written thread. You had a lot of information packed into the last post but we generally only award one point per skill per post which is why I only awarded 1 Herbalism and 1 Botany. Please let me know if you have questions.

Please edit your post in your grade request to reflect that it has been graded. PM me with any questions.

Okara
Great stories start with humble beginnings.

Words: 218993
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2016, 12:34 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes