Completed Old scars

Oh how well have they healed?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Old scars

Postby Raeyn on September 4th, 2018, 9:33 am

Fall 42nd 518AV
Hunter's guild

Stan had many admirable qualities about him. A childhood friend of his father's, the Long Stan had seen Raeyn turn from a sweet ginger kid to the drunk man that now sat across the table from him. And Long as he was, the hunter had one quality that Raeyn deeply adore about him. And that precise quality was, that Stan was a mighty great fellow to get drunk with.

He had taken to the old man like a fish to water. Not minding to hear the same stories over and over again, becoming more fiction than fact with each time around. They made for some truly great stories after all. Tales of beasts he had slain, men he had competed with and always won the competitions like a god not a man. Vast was that imagination. And vaster still when spiced by a taint of ale at the tip of his tongue when he spoke of them. Leaning his cheek against his knuckle, with a smirk on his face, Raeyn listened graciously, nodding along sometimes just to make it seem like he was diligently committing each little detail to memory - which he most certainly did not. It wasn't the stories nor the alcohol he came here for however. It was the company. Ever since Sasha has popped into his life out of seemingly nowhere, Raeyn had found a greater need to be around people, to devote his time to something other than solitude, leaving his studies to for the first time take a backdrop in the canvas of his life.

It was all so very new to him. But in the guild of hunters Raeyn was among his people. Not mages, nor alchemists, nor pompous students, but this simple bunch of misfits he had come to call family.

The Inarta had no aunties or uncles to speak of. Long Stan had always been the closest thing to that as the designated best friend of his father Orim. But with no blood ties to speak of they had the liberty to forge their own ties of friendship in the woods on a hunt, by the light of campfires and the frosty mists of the Unforgiving. There was an undeniable beauty in that.

As Stan rose from his seat, to get them another round of drinks, Raeyn's eyes trailed his footsteps. A dreamy haze of euphoria framed his vision. A slight blurring of drunkenness that manifested as a scarlet fire in his cheeks. Many times had they jokes that Raeyn must have had some sort of an allergy to alcohol for every time he as much as touched a mug of ale, the redness soon flared up. Sometimes even a sneeze or two would accompany it. But the Inarta drank himself silly none the less.

It was a little thud of wood against wood that startled him. And as he lowered his gaze Raeyn would come to find a curiously familiar object on the table in front of him. A nostalgia which took a moment or two before hitting him like a brick to the head.

At the sight of it, the Inarta's hear stopped. It's been a decade since he had seen it. A little pipe made of dark wood, gracing marks and scratches a'plenty and bite marks around the polished handle. The inside was blackened by burnt weed that never got completely cleared out. A thin rim of brass decorated the perimeter.

"You must be kidding me." he whispered beneath his breath. A black flame of dread flared up in his chest as Raeyn swivelled around on his chair and came face to face with a blast from them past if he'd ever seen one. Eyes wide open, lips hanging ajar. Unable to muster a word.

The the ground beneath him could open and swallow Raeyn whole, for that he prayed for in that exact moment. Death itself was more pleasant what what was about to unfold.

"You coming out for a smoke or what?" came the voice of the figure that towered over him. A voice Raeyn had never hoped to hear again.

*Boxcode by Allassanachassanya
Last edited by Raeyn on September 17th, 2018, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Words: 310107
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2018, 11:35 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Old scars

Postby Raeyn on September 4th, 2018, 12:05 pm

The Inarta's eyes came to rest on the roguishly handsome face of a man, only a couple of years older than himself. A glimmer, in those ale eyes. Skin kissed by the sun and brushed by the wind of the wilderness. He was a little larger than last time Raeyn saw him, more definition to musculature beneath simple cloth and leather garments. Short auburn tangles and fluff around the chin. It was a man both fiendishly familiar and not at the same time. And Raeyn was not in the slightest bit happy to see him again.

"I don't have all day, you know." said Liard, tapping his foot as he look right into Raeyn's eyes as if he was looking though his very soul. "And wipe that look off your face. You look like you've seen a ghost, damn it."

Raeyn's fists clenched in his lap. Whatever pleasant mood the day had brought him instantly shattered into a million pieces. Questions swirled in his mind, suppressed by instant rage that beckoned to be released on the hide of the man before him. Years of resentment, old wounds on his heart reopened. How dare Liard galavant before him like this? And after all this time? The insult of it all, the uncertainty and anger mixed in Raeyn's heart like a poison. The outside of alabaster betrayed his emotion in a scowl.

"I have nothing to say to you." huffed Raeyn, averting his gaze.

The sudden shift in the Inarta's moon amused Liard somewhat as he took the stool beside him, smirking. His tone was jovial. Poking fun was what he did best. "Come on sour-puss. Haven't you missed me in the slightest?" His elbow travelled to Raeyn's side, to nudge him playfully but the gesture was taken in anything other than a playful manner.

"What are you even doing here?" snapped Raeyn. "You completely disappeared out of my life. For almost a decade I've not heard from you. Feared the worst. And the you have the gall to waltz in here as if no time has passed? After all we've god damn been though...?"

"Ssst!" came the abrupt hiss from Liard's mouth, halting the emotional Inarta in his words before his arm looped under Raeyn's and pulled him to his feet. This time it was the mixed blood hunter who'se face showed signs of clear anger. Refusing to oblige Raeyn's protests he pulled him out the door and around the back of the guild building where, in the crisp autumn air, he finally released the mage from his grip. "Are you insane, you drunk? You keep your mouth quiet yeah? Don't you dare bring up the past, not when others can overhear. Or do I need to knock some sense into you? Coss you clearly lack any of your own."

Last edited by Raeyn on September 4th, 2018, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Old scars

Postby Raeyn on September 4th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Taken aback, as Raeyn was, by his own lover-turned-enemy's sudden snap but it wasn't a totally unjustified one. The secret they had kept all these years would have gotten them both thrown out of Lhavit. And outside the city gates, nobody makes it. The unforgiving was quite aptly named. They both knew that. They had both spent enough time there.

But there was something about a broken heart that made a man care little for such things. Resentment clouded his common sense.

Liard looked around to make sure that outside no one other than trees could hear their conversation. Satisfied to see nobody lurking about he exhaled loudly before plopping down on his arse and pulling out a tin of tobacco from his back pocket before starting to pack it into the pipe. He calmed himself. Though if Raeyn had said anything other than vague mentions he'd have been a lot more pissed.

A moment of silence enveloped them. A moment during which Raeyn still coudln't quite believe his eyes as he looked down on somebody he'd once called beloved. A man who now was a stranger to him. And the very realisation of that was a dagger though his heart.

"I demand an explanation." Raeyn said with a punishing cold in his voice.

"And explanation of what exactly?"

A good question, that. One Raeyn struggled to voice answers to. What did he want to know? What didn't he want to know? "Where the petch have you been? What happened to you? Why did you just... leave me without so much as a goodbye after... you know what. I was so scared that something terrible happened to you and yet here you are. What do you even what from me?"

The hunter looked up at Reayn, ryes serious as too graves, as he handed him the pipe and a box of matches. With little grace Raeyn took it, sliding the bit between his teeth and lighting the tobacco inside. Snuffing out any open flamed he sucked in air with the smoke filling his lungs like a black tar wind. Raeyn closed his eyes. Beneath the lids, the world turned to white, enveloped by the mist of a nicotine hit that calmed his nerves and relaxed his muscles. Soon enough the scratchy sensation that accompanied the smoke however irritated his throat and the mage found himself coughing desperately into the sleeve of his robe. Liard's mocking chuckle at this reached his ears.

"It's been a while for you eh?" he asked.

"You tell me..."

Last time Raeyn had smoked anything was in the presence of Liard back when they were just boys, pretending to be men. It was a filthy habit really. An unnecessary one that did little else than saturate Raeyn's clothes and hair with the stench of smoke. And not the pleasant smoke of campfires. This was a heavy smoke that smelled of dirt and addiction. But in so many ways he missed the damn thing. He missed the taste of Liard's tobacco, albeit the man had updated and refined his tastes since, it seemed. He missed how it ripped him out of reality for that blissful minute or two, only to then make him craze it again at the change of bells.

Rough fingers brushed past Raeyn's as the pipe changed hands. And the mage recoiled as if the touch burnet his ivory skin.

Taking a long drag and letting smoke liberally flow out though his nose, Liard sighed once more. "Look dickhead. We're both in this guild. I ain't going anywhere and neither are you, I assume. I simply thought it would be appropriate to say hello at least? He paused for a moment to take another drag on his pipe all the meanwhile Raeyn's eyes burned into the side of his head. "I can't really go back to pretending you don't exist, you know, with you showing up here every other day an all. So I was going to ask if you wanted to maybe come with me on a hunt... like the old times. But I see you've not changed at all. Still got that same old stick up your ass."

If looks could kill, Liard's head would have rolled across the grass by now. Instead however Raeyn snatched the pipe back off of Liard and plopped down beside him, inhaling smoke like a dragon. Fists still clenched.Struggling to keep a cool head. "You're kidding yourself if you think anything can ever be like the old times again."

"Come on, kiddo. Just admit that you missed me and stop being so stroppy. It's not a good look on you." the hunter smirked, satisfied that at least they weren't going to get into any physical altercations over it all. And having known Raeyn as long as he did, he wouldn't have put it past the Inarta.

"I've missed you for the first petching year since you disappeared. And then realised that you were just a waste of my time and I should move on. That I did. I don't need you back now."

"You hurt me, sir." snorted Liard, clutching his chest playfully. There was light hearted mockery in his words. Something Raeyn begrudgingly had come to expect. "Fine it, have it your way. You wana be salty, be salty. I'll just wait here until you're done with your shyke. But you know as well as I do that you're going to come to your senses and come crawling back to me so you may as well stop wasting you time and mine. I'm not asking to get back together just... a hunt. Like friends. And we used to be good friends, Raeyn."

That words twisted the dagger in Raeyn's heart. Friends. It pushed tears into the corners of his eyes which he quickly wiped away with his sleeve, blaming the redness on the smoke. The memories they shared have faded with time but were hardly all gone. And those blissful memories in the woods, hunting down deer and delighting in the wonders of nature of the Misty Peaks; they were some of the most cherished ones he had. How he wished he could turn back the time and be nineteen again. But it was impossible.

"We were. And then you left. And now you won't even tell me why." he whispered solemnly, choking back regret.

"Is an apology what you want to hear? Really?"

Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Old scars

Postby Raeyn on September 4th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Raeyn's eyes flickered sideways but met by Liard's stern gaze, they quickly became buried in the grass again. His mind swirled with a million thoughts, confusion over the hunter's words, his actions, his -to him at least- clear proof that he still cared. And heavens knew Raeyn did... he cared very much. Almost paralysingly so. Such where ghost. They incapacitated common sense.

"Look kid. I really am sorry. But after my father died all I could see when I looked at you was his final moments. I don't exact you to understand but don't hold it against me. I didn't really know how to deal with it and having you around wasn't helping." The honesty with which Liard spoke was compelling. It pulled on Raeyn's heart strings so much that he almost listened to the way he said it instead of what it was that he actually said. "I want to start on a fresh page. Leave the past in the past. Forget it ever happened. All of it. I can do that. Can you?"

Silence fell like snow around them. A gentle breeze combed though the surrounding thees, plucking out leaves, letting them fall where they may. A lone songbird lamented somewhere in the distance. Though the thick wooden walls the merriment inside the tavern was just muffled thuds and chatter and the clanging of glasses. Sucking on the pipe once more Raeyn slowly nodded, not thinking it though at all. He wasn't capable of doing so. Pure emotion overpowered his common sense. "All of it?" he echoed quietly as smoke coiled itself around the curved of his lips.

"All of it." nodded Liard, matching him in volume.

It brought sadness to Raeyn's heart. True deep sadness. It wasn't just a traumatising ordeal that all of it entailed. It wasn't just a night of such unfathomable misfortune during which one man had lost his life and another became a murderer. It was also all the good times. A bond deeper than a well. A passionate love affair which, until he met Sasha, Raeyn was almost certain would be his first and his last. It saddened him, that those memories means to little to Liard after all this time because, faded as they were, to Raeyn they meant everything. They were the cause of his rage, his grief and his affection.

"Now cheer the petch up. I hate seeing you such a walking misery" said Liard, nudging him a little before wrapping his arm around Raeyn's shoulders and pulling the mage in to lean against him, squeezing tight. the other hand gently pried the pipe out of Raeyn's grip before the man smoked all of his tobacco. "So about the hunt..."

"Yeah yeah! Fine! I'll come with you."

"That's what I like to hear." chuckled Liard, with the devilish grin returning into his features.

Last edited by Raeyn on September 6th, 2018, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Old scars

Postby Raeyn on September 4th, 2018, 2:23 pm

They had finished two whole rounds between them before returning to the guild where Stan had already managed to rope another unfortunate soul into him drunken rantings. The man decided it would be better to leave him to it. Quietly enough they had found a space at a table beside the roaring fire place where flames bathed them in pleasant warmth.

"So... are you gonna buy me a drink or?" asked Liard, completely unabashed.

A man of propriety and decorum as he was, Raeyn looked him up and down, taken aback somewhat by the request. "Can you not buy your own?"

Snorting, Liard shrugged. "No can do. Stan hustled me out of my last Kina two days ago. What you were drinking earlier was probably bought with that my money and I'm skint until pay day. So whichever way you slice the cake, you owe me kid."

"Will you stop calling me that already?"

"Nope."

Raeyn sighed and rolled his eyes before nipping down to the bar and returning with two mugs of ale. There were worse things he could have wasted his money on. They spent some time nattering, catching up with everything that had happened since they parted. Of course Raeyn had tactfully missed out the fact that he'd almost gone crazy from hallucinations the season prior. But he filled him on how Mara was doing, how how his studies and research were going. He even mentioned Sasha... he even mentioned Haneht and that whole headache which he'd been more than happy to put behind him. Liard too had kept few secrets about his romantic past which granted did make Raeyn a little jealous but he was mostly just happy that such honesty with each other broke though the ice a little. He was glad to hear that the hunter kept a dear friendship with his father, even if it pissed him off a little that Orim had failed to mention such. But the ale he sipped was to starting over a new leaf. A blank page.

Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Old scars

Postby Madeira Dusk on September 24th, 2018, 6:29 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Raeyn

Skills
  • Observation: 2xp
  • Socialization: 5xp
  • Persuasion: 1xp
  • Investigation: 1xp

Lores
  • Long Stan: a great drinking buddy
  • Long Stan: Orin's best friend
  • Laird: lover-turned-enemy
  • Laird: returned after a decade
  • Laid: apologized
  • Laird: wants to start over as friends

Awards & Retribution

Notes
That was a wonderful story! Very heart wrenching. I couldn't find you the skills or lores you deserve unfortunately, but let me know if you think I missed something. Now get to work on the backstory. You don't just bring up 'murder' and not elaborate! What kind of literary blue-ball shenanigans is that! :angry:

<3
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)