Completed Fall's First Hurrah

Tove has a horribly...ruff...first day of fall.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Fall's First Hurrah

Postby Tove on September 12th, 2018, 4:09 pm

1st day of fall, 518av
6th Bell

Many tales depicted fall as a time of preparation, harvest, and security. A season full of vibrantly hued trees and skies of gold and grey. A cool wind would dance from one city to the next. And though this wind would be cool, it would not hold the bone-chilling bit of the winter. Deep reds and oranges would replace the deep green of summer leaves. The fauna would be replaced with fire, though like any flame, they would soon die and find a new home upon the ground.

Sunberth, as always, had chosen to ignore the lovely ideas within the many tales.

A heavy storm had replaced the gentle summer shower of the day before. Thunder cracked across the grey skies as if to cut the thin veil between the known and unknown. Not only had the rain been heavy but it was also cold, two combinations Tove found unsatisfactory.

Tove enjoyed the rain as it was often a relief during hot summer days, though too much rain- well- it was not nearly as relieving. Tove buried herself beneath the warmth of her blanket in the form of a cat, her head curled up along with her tail as she formed a graceful swoop with her body. A soft snore escaped her in the form of a rattling sound, like that of a low purr. Ground rattling thunder occasionally pulled her from her dreams, but for the most part, her rest was relatively undisturbed. That was until...

BAM!

The loud crack of thunder tore the heavens. Previously sleepy eyes shot open, her body having leaped a foot into the air only to be pushed back down against the bed by a particularly heavy blanket.

‘By the Gods, must I always be…‘ Her thoughts were cut off by a sudden flash of light, her fur replaced by the soft skin of a human. With raised arms, she let out a long- drawn out- yawn. Her muscles prepared for movement just below her skin, a strange comfort having made its ways up her limbs as stood upon her toes with her arms outstretched and bent behind her neck.

The sun hadn't peeked from behind the makeshift curtain she had pinned up with abandoned nails and a ripped piece of cloth, not as it usually had. Tove let out a small sigh as she relished the last moments she would spend within the comfort of her own bed- at least until night took hold of the city once more.

The moments of pushing oneself up from their bed were like fleeting moments of peace that would soon be replaced by stress and fear. Tove had a routine to maintain- Wake up, stretch, rub the sleep from her eyes, and get herself dressed as to avoid the strange shame human’s so often carried with them when even slightly revealed.

With a few graceful strides she made her way to a pair of clothes thrown about the room messily with little to no care. A good sniff-check and the clothes were good to go- and even if they hadn’t smelled up to par with traditional scent standards she hardly had much to choose from. With two shirts and one pair of trousers, fashion was not high up on her list of things to worry about.
Last edited by Tove on September 22nd, 2018, 6:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

~All credit for box-codes and signature goes to Luminescence
Tove
Criminally Bored

Words: 101169
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2018, 9:29 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fall's First Hurrah

Postby Tove on September 14th, 2018, 9:37 pm

The scratchy fabric of Tove’s blouse swallowed her lithe form up, the sleeves rolled up just below her elbow, the hem torn and frayed. Her legs were like two long twigs that had been attached to her torso just beneath her blouse. Delicate and graceful like that of her sister form, though without the sleekness of the cat. There were a lot of skinny boys and girls in Sunberth, Tove never stood out amongst her peers.

New season, new mess. That was Tove’s initial thought as she folded her the only other article of clothing she had purchased whilst free. A simple linen blouse, untouched by the harsh environment of Sunberth. Despite the top being far from fancy Tove still wanted to save it for special occasions as the fabric had remained soft in the few weeks she had owned it whilst also being free of stains and tears. The room was easy enough to clean, Tove having hardly ever stayed within the apartment long enough to make a huge mess of it. Make the bed, push a few things under the bed, bada-bing-bada-boom, mess cleaned. The apartment itself was dreadfully impersonal, lacking anything of sentimental value.

Tove huffed as she attempted to make her bed look somewhat decent- the blanket a tad bit too small to be tucked beneath the weight of her mattress. Her legs curled up beneath her, a pout having contorted her face as she huffed and puffed. Why was everything so hard? Why was life so cruel as to keep her bed from looking tidy? The pouty Kelvic was pulled away from her pity party by the faint sound of muffled whispers. Despite her ‘New Season Resolutions’ Tove had not yet broken her natural impulse to pry into business that was not her own when unnecessary.

Like a cat fixated on its prey, Tove began to hunt for the source of the indistinguishable whispers. She knew for a fact that nobody other than herself stood within the confines of her apartment, she had checked at least five times whilst cleaning. No- the sounds were coming from the halls. Tove made it all sound more ominous in her own head rather than simply allowing herself to accept the fact others made home in the apartments that surrounded her own.

The Kelvic pushed her face into the corner of the door, her eyes locked on the hall as if expecting a shadow to jump out and stab her in the face. Nothing, though the whispers had grown louder.

“I am NOT touchin’ that dirty thing- it looks like it’ll bite me!” Typical- Tove frowned as her mind having automatically hopped to less than appropriate assumptions…though usually flattery was involved in such discussions, not blatant insults. The voice was masculine though it occasionally cracked as if it were a prepubescent boy speaking.

“I’m tellin you it’s dead. Stop bein’ a…erm…a baby? Yeah, a baby. Just hit it with a stick, unless...you're a wuss. Are you a wuss, cuz I can't be friends with you if you are. That would be bad for my reputation.”

Hit it with a stick? That command hardly seemed as vulgar in nature. Tove peered down the hall, her eyes having automatically locked on what appeared to be two teenage boys. One held a stick outward whilst another dug his hands into his ripped back pockets.

“I ain’t no baby, jus’ tryna keep it intact so we can eat it, that's all!”

Tove tilted her head, 'eat it'? A dead animal perhaps? The smell of rot was hardly present in the hall, Tove would know.

A threateningly low growl caused both boys to look at one another and Tove to take a small step back.

"Ah shyke, I told ya it was alive!" The hesitant child squealed as he, much like Tove, took a short step.

His counterpart was undeterred, dirtied fingers having found a cheap blade. "Ain't nothin' a wee bit of metal can't fix." Before the boy could kill whatever he had previously thought to be dead, another low-growl made way down the hall once more.

The boy jerked his arm back, his blade falling to the ground. Both children toppled over one another to get away, shoving past an all-too-curious Tove.

It was a dog. Tove frowned, being the furthest thing from a dog lover. She had been in numerous scuffles with the beasts and often avoided them to the best of her ability. The only reason she hadn't walked away upon seeing the pitiful state at which it was in.

Most strays in Sunberth were underweight and mangy, this one was no exception. Its black and white coat was hidden behind a thick layer of mud, large patches of hair missing beneath the grime. Alert brown eyes stared Tove down as she approached.

'By the Gods, why must it always be a dog?'
Last edited by Tove on September 22nd, 2018, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tove
Criminally Bored

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fall's First Hurrah

Postby Tove on September 16th, 2018, 12:56 am

Warning glares were exchanged between both parties, each fully aware of their conflicting natures. Cats and dogs hardly ever coexisted on the streets of Sunberth, especially when hungry. Tove had somewhat of an advantage as a human but she lacked the speed that had always kept her away from the sharp teeth of a canine.

“I’m only doing this because I pity you, not because I like you. Remember that.” Tove snapped, a mere growl having signaled some unspoken agreement in her eyes. "Glad we agree. I'll be back, don't run off...or do, I don't care." Lies. She would care a little bit. Despite her dislike for dogs she hardly wanted to see anything die if she had any power to help it.

The Kelvic pivoted on her heel as she made her way back to her apartment to retrieve her bag. At the bottom lay an old meat pie still wrapped in a thin piece of fabric. The girl lacked many options so she settled on the stale meat pie before making her way back to the hall.

The dog had moved closer to Tove's small apartment upon her disappearance by a good foot or so. It raised its heads at her steps, offering a snarl in greetings. Tove was unbothered as she tore the meat pie in half, preparing to lure the dog to her apartment where it would remain relatively safe- or at least safer than it would be on the streets.

"I'm wasting a decent meat pie on you, just so you know." Tove released a loud sigh, shaking her head as she peeled back the breading of the treat. "Why do I even bother, you can't even comprehend certain noises much less a whole language...unless you're Kelvic. Are you Kelvic?" No answer. "That answers that."

The usually cautious Kelvic then became somewhat careless. With outstretched hands, she offered the meat pie but quickly realized her mistake upon hearing the loud snap of teeth shortly followed by a low growl.

“Agh, by the Gods, if you don’t- just play nice okay? I’m trying to help you and…” Tove pulled her arm back faster than she knew the human form could move, barely evading the canines sharp teeth. One half of the meat pie flew with her arm falling just by the stray's front paw. It took little time for it to notice the treat before snatching it between his teeth.

"Oh- you like that huh? I guess that can work in my favor." Tove stripped the pie into even smaller pieces before creating a small path to her apartment.

Thirty-chimes had passed before the Kelvic had convinced the stray to find shelter in her apartment. It positioned itself in the corner, occasionally putting weight on its front paws as if to assert its presence within the apartment.

Tove
Criminally Bored

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fall's First Hurrah

Postby Tove on September 22nd, 2018, 6:56 am

The pitter-patter of Tove's foot tapping the wood echoed across the small apartment, her eyes still locked on the canine that had curled up in the corner across from her bed. Occasionally its eyes fluttered shut but Tove's presence had left it paranoid. It could detect her feline nature, and that combined with the abuse it may have faced by humans had created a strong sense of distrust between the dog and vice versa.

Tove pressed her index fingers to her lips, eyes locked on the beast that lay before her. A small sigh escaped her as she pushed herself up from the bed, the springs squeaking as the weight upon the bedding shifted. Rain descended upon Sunberth without an ounce of mercy which left Tove dreading her next course of action.

"I suppose I'll be a good 'host' and go out and get you some food." She sighed as she made her way to her bag, reaching in to count the coin within. Five Gold rimed Mizas made their way into her back pocket as she reached out for her coat.

'Five gold mizas for what? Some dog?', Her gaze shifted back to the dog, their eyes momentarily connecting before the dog decided it no longer wished to look at her, its head turning towards the wall once more. No matter what Tove used to try and convince herself she wouldn't care if the dog died she still felt a pang of guilt when she thought of what little she could provide.

"I only have two rules for you. One- Don't take a shyke. Two- Stay off my bed. My kindness only extends so far." She huffed before closing and locking the door behind her.

Tove trudged through the mud that had plagued her usual path to one of the cheaper merchants of the sunset quarter. Less quality meant less coin- or at least sometimes, depending on just how shifty the trader wished to be that day. She pulled her coat closer to her body but it did nothing as the cold rain fell upon her from above. It was a dreariness she had yet to become accustomed to, especially since just days prior Syna's glory had warmed the city under her magnificent light.

"Aye- got any coin miss? My children- they're hungry!" A voice called out from over her shoulder. Tove's eyes skimmed over a woman dressed in rags in the cold rain, the boom of thunder following her pleas for coin.

"I, um..." Tove's fingers skimmed over the coin in her pocket- its only contents being the five Mizas she had shoved in her pocket with the intent of merely buying her temporary roommate a meal.

'You need that coin...walk away.'

'She needs help, surely you won't need all five of those mizas.'

The conscience was a dangerous thing. The killer of many men and women in Sunberth. Tove thought back to the tales of unfortunate saps that had fallen for ambushes Lucille had shared with her. The men and women who had wondered off to aid someone only to be beaten, robbed, and killed. All for what? That good feeling that would leave an individual's heart buzzing? Bragging rights?

The decision had been made, however. One gold miza in a stranger's palm, never to be seen again.

"By Ovek, thank you, dear girl." The woman wrapped her muddied fingers around Tove's, patting the back of her hand as she thanked the Kelvic. It must have been the good feeling that was promised by charity that left so many dead- or at least Tove thought so as her chest swelled upon seeing the smile that cut the woman's features in half.

"I...you're welcome." Tove nodded as she turned a heel, counting and recounting the coin in her pocket as she walked off.

'Keep being nice and you'll end up dead silly girl.', Lucille's voice bounced about in her head, chiding her as she had often done when alive, ruining that moment of bliss she wished to maintain for the rest of her trip. Tove's brain had yet to adapt to the idea that her thoughts and actions belonged to her and only her, despite the fact Lucille had been gone for quite a while. The dead Drykas's voice often chimed in at the worst possible moments just to ruin the Kelvic's day. It was quite frustrating.

Eventually, her eyes skimmed over a rather sketchy meat stall that seemed the type that would sell questionable meat that would give the average man the shakes. The Kelvic wondered if she should hunt for another stall but the cold rain and lack of light was more than enough fuel to rush the shopping process.

"Oy love, wanna get 'yer hands on some fine cut meat?" He bellowed as he slammed his knife into a piece of meat. Tove had no concept of innuendos, her eyes locked on the various meats. "Heh- no laugh or angry scowl? Well, that's a first. Whatcha lookin' for sweetheart?"

"Erm- whatever big dogs eat?" Tove knew little of the canine diet and even less so the proportions at which they could consume in a certain time span.

"Dogs ain't particular, they'll eat anything if they can get it in their mouth. Don't mean it's healthy but they don't care. I'd say a big dog could eat about a pound of meat in one sittin', maybe two. I got a pound of sausage for a pretty gold miza, get two pounds just in case?" The butcher shrugged as he pulled out a few links of pork sausage. "Made out of pork, but as I said, dogs ain't picky. Not like cats."

"Two pounds for two gold?" The prices danced around in the Kelvic's mind as she tried to determine if she would hand one gold to the man, or two. The image of the skinny stray was all she needed to make- yet another- big-hearted decision. "Deal." The butcher grinned as she dropped two gold-rimmed Mizas into his palms.

"Pleasure doin' busy with ya girl." He pushed the meat into a thin bag, handing it over to her with one last smile, "Good luck with the dog- sounds like yer gonna need it. Oh and try not to drown, the weather has been shyke all day. Bad for business, hope the whole season ain't like this" The last part of his statement seemed more hushed and to himself. Tove wondered how the rain was bad for business, he could easily sell the meat to the taverns and inns, no? Unless he had been blacklisted, which in turn would explain why he opted to stand in the rain.

The trip back to the apartment proved to be just as dangerous as the trip away, the mud being quite the obstacle for the cat as she followed her usual path back. The downpour had started up once more. The water seeped through the fabric of the girl's coat, finding its way into the insoles of her boots. No part of the Kelvic remained untouched by the heavy rainfall.

She held the bag close to her chest in an attempt to shield it from the rain, her eyes locked on the road ahead. It took half a Bell to make her way back to the small apartment. Half a bell of walking in the rain for a creature that showed no appreciation for her efforts. Her teeth chattered lightly as she pushed her bronze key into the lock, "All this for a stupid dog." She huffed as she pushed the door open with her foot. Her eyes widened at the image that lay before her, a combination of betrayal, fury, and annoyance churned within her very core.

Her ever so ungrateful house guest had made itself rather comfortable upon her bed.

Ledger Change :
-1 GM for the beggar
-2 GM for the meat

Word-Count:1,302

Tove
Criminally Bored

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fall's First Hurrah

Postby Tove on September 22nd, 2018, 6:39 pm

"No, no, no, no, and no!" Tove dropped the bag to the ground, no longer bothered by the splashing within her boots or the water that dripped off her clothes. No, her worries were all based around her bed and the filth-ridden canine that curled itself up upon her. "Two rules, only two! No using my floor as your personal latrine and NO getting on my bed!" Why did it bother her so much? Well, the cat was quite territorial when it came down to her furniture, especially the furniture she laid her head upon at night. Was it a tad bit overdramatic? Absolutely. But to say her reaction hadn't matched her emotions would be an absolute lie.

The dog seemed unbothered by the young Kelvic's reaction, simply yawning as she glared daggers into it. No, it even had the gall to growl at the girl as she complained.

"Stupid dog- here's your food. Eat it before I decide to take it away." She carelessly threw the sausage to the far end of the room, the dog raising from its place upon her bed to inspect the meat. It raised lowered its head to the ground, gently nuzzling the links before taking one between its sharp teeth. Tove watched, half worried it wouldn't enjoy the meat, but her worries were swayed by the dog's head returning to the floor for seconds.

In the light, Tove could make out the finer details of the beast. The long black and white fur that cascaded over its back, the small hairless patches that had formed over the seasons. Its eyes were a color much like Tove's, speckled with gold flakes. They were tired, so very tired. It was easy to forget that the stray had suffered through the horrors of Sunberth just like anyone else. The dog had seen many fights, the evidence being the numerous scars that embedded themselves into the flesh of the canine. The most gnarly of scars was the large chunk of flesh that had been pulled away from the tip of one of the dog's ears.

"You've been through a lot, huh?" The dog growled as it gobbled up its food, causing a small grin to form on Tove's lips, "Glad to see you like what I picked out." The smile faded, "...this doesn't mean I like you though." As the stray laid back it was clear it was female. Her blue and gold eyes locked on Tove once more as she finished up the meat, her lips curled back to reveal her sharp teeth.

Tove rested her cheek upon her knees as she pulled them against her chest, the melodic sound of rain and thunder being one of the most comforting sounds she had heard. She slowly removed her clothes, throwing her new blouse over her head to remain warm. She had decided against shifting into her cat form for obvious reasons. The dog seemed just as comforted by the sound, her own head pressed against her dirty paws as she what remained of the meat off her lips.

The two had remained that way for several Bells, silent in the company of one another. The distrust between the two remained but with the dog's hunger having been sedated at that moment, the hostility between the two had faded. Eventually, it was time to say goodbye, the dogs claw scratching against the door. She was no housepet, not like the small pampered dogs the rich carried around in their bags. Tove hesitantly made her way over to the door, the snap of teeth causing her to jump back ever-so-slightly.

"I thought we were passed this- here." The cat snapped as she pushed the door open. The dog took hesitant steps forward, occasionally turning its head to gift the Kelvic with threatening growls. The dog didn't dramatically walk away...no, she ran. It almost saddened Tove to see her go, almost. No, despite the helpful nature of the cat she hardly wished to become best buds with the stray.

Now she had another mess to clean- chewed up meat scattered on the floor, a bed in disarray. As Tove walked she felt her foot seep into something, her eyes shifting to the floor slowly. The smell gave it away and Tove knew what she had stepped in before even glancing down at the floor. The mutt had left its own gift for the cat without her even noticing, the gift in the form of its waste.

'By the god- why must it always be dogs.'

Wordcount- 756

Tove
Criminally Bored

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Fall's First Hurrah

Postby Kynier on September 27th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Grades!

Skill Rewards
  • Cleaning +1
  • Observation +5
  • Persuasion +1
  • Philosophy +1
  • Socialization +3

Lores Learned
  • Humans: Have a strange shame when slightly revealed
  • Persuasion: Convincing a stray dog with meat pie
  • Philosophy: Charity leaves an individual’s heart buzzing
  • Self: Fashion is not up on her list of things to worry about
  • Socialization: Not understanding innuendos

An unexpected plot that was quite pleasant to read! If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to PM me.
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)