[The Midnight Gem] Help Wanted/Help Offered (Kelski)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 8th, 2018, 6:45 am

2nd Day of Fall in the Year 518 AV

Duncan woke up feeling somewhat rested albeit sore. After one more round of cleaning and dressing his wounds, he dressed, gathered his gear and made his way out of The Drunken Fish. The bartender had mentioned a place not far away where he may be able to find some honest work for a bit of coin. He didn't relish the idea of going back out in the rain but he hoped he wouldn't be out in it nearly as long as he had the day before.

Following Cira's directions, it didn't take long for Duncan to find what he was looking for. The hanging sign, shaped like a shield, bore the name, The Midnight Gem. The building seemed a bit out of place when compared to most of the other buildings Duncan had seen since his arrival in Sunberth the day prior. There was tall grass and a nearby beach both of which looked inviting after the gloom that blanketed much of the city that he'd seen thus far. There were flower boxes arranged out front with, not surprising, barred windows. The building itself looked quite large and overall welcoming.

Positioned near the shield-shaped sign was another one of only slightly less elegance that read, "Help Wanted".

Not wanting to stand in the rain any longer, Duncan opened the door to the establishment and stepped inside. He was greeted by a comparatively massive showroom filled with all manner of glittering pieces of fine work. While he was not one to wear much jewelry, he felt impressed by the apparent quality of what he saw.

He noted that there was someone nearby that, by the way they carried themselves, worked there. He was a dark hair, blue eyed man with the slightest of slouched postures. While most may not notice it, Duncan always looked at others with an eye for fighting. It wasn't that he was always looking for a fight but that his training taught him to always be ready for one and/or roughly gauge the fighting capabilities of those around you at first glance.

Duncan approached the man and said, "Good day. I was told that you may be in need of someone to help with security?"

Duncan, even in his slightly diminished condition, did not come off as appearing as anything but someone who knew their way around a fight. Even his cloak couldn't hide the fact that he was extremely well muscled. While he stood at only five-feet in height, he weighed close to 250 lbs and bore an extremely muscular build. His shoulders were very broad and his arms were so big around that he couldn't hold them flat against his sides. The slightly torn, black shirt he wore was stretched tight and with the leather war skirt he wore, his legs were obviously the size of small trees trunks. As he moved, it looked as though he was in a constant state of flexing even if he was relaxed.

On his right arm, he wore a rather wicked-looking toothed gauntlet while his left arm was a brilliant sapphire blue color. To those unfamiliar with seeing an isur, he would definitely stand out in a crowd. The pale blue tone to his skin, covered in raised, smooth silver veins was not easy to hide. Across his forehead, the slightest of bony ridges made it look as though he had a serious, focused look on his face. Short dark hair and dark eyes along with a short, well trimmed beard highlighted his face; along with a bit of obvious bruising.

"I've been known to throw a few punches here and there in the name of doing the right thing. Who would I talk to about possibly helping out around here for a few coins?" Duncan asked as he took a couple more glances around the room.
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Words: 115439
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 3:24 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on September 9th, 2018, 11:18 pm

Ebon looked up at the sound of the door chimes ringing and studied the newcomer as he walked through the door. He didn’t look like a customer, because he sought out Ebon immediately and didn’t give the jewelry for sale more than a cursory glance. He offered the stranger a friendly smile and took in his appearance. Ebon was well traveled and had roamed far and wide with his now deceased bondmate as healers. He’d seen Isur before and had never had issues with them. “Hello there. I’m Ebon.” He introduced himself and rose, his compulsion from his Rak’keli mark kicking into high gear at the appearance of the Isur. “Come with me…. “ He said, rising from his chair behind the counter were he was calculating some sales, and moved past the Isur for a moment to lock and flip the open sign to closed.

Then he beckoned the Isur and lead him towards the back room where Kelski was working or at least had been the last time Ebon had poked his head in to ask her a question and check on her whereabouts. “She’s most likely in the back. The Jeweler you want to talk to.” He said, leading the way through an obscure doorway that opened up into a workroom that held work tables, a jeweler’s bench, and a forge suitable for fine metalwork. He looked around, didn’t see the silver and black haired woman though he wasn’t really interested in finding her in that moment.

“Look….” He stared out then simply pulled back his sleeve revealing the gnosis mark from Rak’keli. “I can tell your injured. This mark compulses me to assist you. Where are you hurt and I’ll grab my kit. The Jeweler is Kelski and she’s probably upstairs for a moment or out on the back deck. Let me at least treat you while we wait for her return. She usually spends long hours down here, so I know she’ll be right back.” He said, walking over to one of the work benches and picking up a medical kit from underneath.

“There’s only one other doctor in town…. I keep my presence quiet… because he’s not a well respected person. He’s feared and those that go to him out of desperation he tortures. So… let me treat you. Keep my presence as a physician quiet, and I’ll not charge you.” He said, waiting for the Isur to tell him where the wound was. He was already taking out bandages, jars of salve, and even a small suture kit.

Meanwhile, light footsteps on the stairs leading down to the workshop could be heard. A woman, barefoot and in a pair of leather workpants and a cropped off tank top descended the stairs rapidly. The figure paused a the bottom of the stairs, took in the Night Lion Kelvic and the Isur talking and offered a smile. “I’d take him up on his offer. He’s actually a very competent healer and he’s saved us more than once around here from devastating wounds.” Kelski added, slipping further into the room and offering the Isur her hand. “I’m Kelski. This is my shop. Are you here looking for something in particular?” She asked, tilting her head curiously.

Kelski didn’t remotely look human, not even at first glance. Her black lips, black mouth and the hints of black flesh at the nostrils and corner of her eyes indicated her membranes were colored dark. Even her hair had odd coloring, starting off black and flowing down through silver and finally ending in an ombre of white. She clearly could be nothing but Kelvic though her animal wasn’t immediately apparent.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 10th, 2018, 1:56 am

Duncan gave a respectful nod to Ebon at the man's introduction and answered, "I'm Duncan, Duncan Rightstone." He started to follow Ebon into the backroom while keeping a cautious eye on the man and his surroundings. Ebon mentioned the jeweler being in the back but Duncan's first impressions of Sunberth did not leave him in a fully trusting state of mind. Duncan took a moment to study the man as they made their way to the back of the shop. Something seemed slightly off about Ebon; the way he moved. Duncan couldn't put words to it but something was definitely a bit off. As they entered the next room, Duncan noted the assembled tools and materials as well as the small forge. He was not familiar with jewelcrafting yet the forge and some of the tools were similar to what he'd used in his dabbles with blacksmithing. When the jeweler was nowhere to be found, Duncan tensed a bit, thinking for a moment that it may be a trap.

As Ebon turned to face Duncan and pulled up his sleeve, Duncan was a bit surprised. He was expecting a blade or something similarly sinister considering the strangeness of being led to a secluded room by a stranger. When Ebon revealed his gnosis mark, Duncan was unfamiliar with it. The fact that it was a divine mark was obvious enough yet he knew nothing of Rak'keli save for her being the Goddess of Health. At the mention of having his wounds tended to, an offer that was given without need of anything in exchange other than silence, Duncan raised a dubious eyebrow. However, hearing of the other option available being one of torture, he wasn't sure he had much of a choice if he wanted to avoid the wounds getting worse.

Duncan watched as Ebon began retrieving medical items just as the sounds of footsteps on the nearby stairs met his ears followed by a feminine voice. Looking to the stairs, Duncan noted the rather odd looking figure as he listened to her speak. He looked back to Ebon for a moment then back to the woman. At her words, he nodded to Ebon and removed his cloak and shirt to reveal the blood-stained bandage over the stab wound in his side and the cut on the back of his head. While the stab wound was nearly three-inches deep, on the surface it was small as if the blade had difficulty initially cutting into the flesh. The wound on the back of his head, also small, had a lot of bruising around it from where hit was hit with a club. Other than for light bruising on his face, Duncan's heavily muscled, raised-silver veined body was otherwise free of wounds although there were a number of scars including one on his lower abdomen, possibly caused by a past stab wound.

When the woman introduced herself and offered Duncan her hand, he took it in his metallic one and gave a respectful bow of his head. Her odd appearance did not go unnoticed however nor did the way she moved. To Duncan, who'd been trained in observing one's movements in order to better predict action, the way the two moved, especially Kelski, was not like how other people moved. When combined with the strange coloring of the woman's hair and facial features, Kelski appeared to him as nothing short of exotic.

He'd heard of Kelvics before yet knew next to nothing about them. It was said that Kelvics sometimes found themselves in some of the Kingdom's Citadels yet Duncan had never seen one before. Because of that, the true nature of Ebon and Kelski eluded him.

Duncan realized he was staring and quickly recomposed himself and responded to Kelski's introduction. "Lady Kelski." He said with her hand in his. "My name is Duncan Rightstone. I thank you and your friend, Ebon, for your hospitality. Your city has not exactly been so welcoming. As for what I am looking for, I saw your sign out front and I've been told that you may have some honest work available for a bit of coin." Somewhat more at ease, Duncan casually removed his toothed guantlet as he spoke.

"I am no stranger to combat and I have experience with military-style patrols, guard duty and protection. Also, I am familiar with a forge, somewhat similar to the one you have here and thanks to the grace of Izurdin, working with stone, wood and metal comes easy to me; so I can offer a bit of maintenance ability as well." Duncan attached his gauntlet to a strap on the belt of his war skirt while trying not to interfere with Ebon's work on his wounds.

Duncan released Kelski's hand and offered a bit of a smile. He avoided his previous mistake at staring at the woman's unique appearance yet couldn't help but steal a glance or two as he tried to put a name to why she looked and moved so differently. To ask would not have been proper nor well timed.

Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on September 12th, 2018, 12:40 am

The Night Lion wearing his man form didn’t hesitate to get busy. He started on the easy wounds, namely closing the severe bruising on the back of the Isur’s head and closing the small wound there. Bruising and small wounds were easy for first mark healers and it took Ebon no time at all to ease what would have likely been a huge throbbing in Duncan’s skull. Ebon also took care of the facial bruises with a simple swipe of his glowing hands. When he was done with the light stuff, he examined the wound on Duncan’s side. He immediately began to clean the wound, first with a warm soapy cloth and then with his glowing hands. He sanitized the wound with his gnosis gift and then packed it with a poultice he took from a small jar out of his kit. The poultice was the type of substance Duncan’s body could absorb. Then, Ebon took out a small suture kit and began – with a great deal if difficulty – to sew up the Isur’s skin.

As he worked, Kelski slipped up on a work bench, perching quietly, watching and quietly speaking with the Isur – half to distract him and half out of curiosity. “It is nice to meet you, Duncan Rightstone. Ebon is a healer of Rak’keli. His mark compulses him to assist anyone in pain or wounded. Rak’keli doesn’t discriminate on what gang people are in or if they worship Good or Evil Gods.” She said, smiling at the young unbonded Kelvic. “He clerks here during the day, running the shop till, but has a very important role beneath the surface…. Which you might understand now seeing him in action.” She added, offering Duncan a black-lipped smile.

At Duncan’s mention of a forge, Kelski glanced at her own dark workstation. She should be getting more work done but she was horribly distracted today. There had been so much going on, she hadn’t gotten much time in the workshop and there were outstanding projects. “You saw the sign? We had an Akalak working for us which we really liked. Aer’wyn has since moved on in his duties and we need to fill his position. It’s a varied job really, not so much guarding a person, but really guarding the shop when you have no other duties and running a lot of errands for me that require guarding the things you will deliver or retrieve. Being a jeweler, I often have to deliver finished pieces. Rather than take the time to do that myself, I will send my security to deliver. And when I have orders to pick up, I will need someone to go down to say my suppliers at the docks and pick up deliveries. These can often be valuable items… raw gemstones, ores from the smelter, all kinds of things.

She picked up a large leather journal off her workbench. “This is my caledar. It has my appointments, dates, project lists, finish deadlines, addresses of customers, and I’ve got several customers in the Seaside Market that order trinkets for their booths. I need those regularly delievered. I’d normally just hire a courier, but the nature of the items means I need someone that can hold their own in crowds. I’d even prefer a pair of someones because often the goods are that valuable. That means I need someone I can trust to go pick up things or deliever my work safely to its new owners.” Kelski said, smiling.

“There will be days there won’t be work, but on those days you can help Ebon out around here. I pay 5 gm a day with bonuses for experience or high level of skills. The job comes with a room upstairs – a bedroom – and the run of the living quarters above the shop which includes a living area, kitchen, study, bedrooms, bathing chambers, and a full training setup down below.” Kelski said, offering a smile. “We have pasture for animals out back as well. The only issue is that we have four Kelvics living here, so nudity happens. None of the Kelvics are bonded, if that makes a difference. We have an ocelot named Ren, Ebon is a night lion, I’m a Sea Eagle, and my niece Ember is a mouse. So you need to respect everyone’s space and everyone takes turns cooking, cleaning, and doing general chores so no one gets stuck with all the work.” She said openly. “I don’t charge rent and I provide food, but its appreciated if you pitch in with that to since there are a lot of mouths to feed. By pitch in I mean pick up groceries occasionally. That might even be part of your duty… running to the market to pick up an order of food to supply the upstairs.” She said sincerely.

“We have open minds here. We don’t discriminate against any sort of race or what people might consider true evil n this city. But you need to be tight lipped about what you witness here. We are vulnerable not affiliated with a Gang and being basically against everything in this city in regards to the way it operates… so lynch mobs are common and if anyone thought we were ‘different’ here, there’d be issues immediately. So discretion is very important.” Kelski said gently, swinging her feet off the edge of the tall bench like a child enjoying herself.

“Is that something you might be interested in?” She asked thoughtfully, glancing at Ebon. The Night lion was just about done with his work, putting the finishing knots in the flesh of the Isur. He backed away with a simple smile.

“All done. You’ll be fine in a few days.” He added, beginning to clean up his mess of dirty cleansing cloths and fragments of sutures. He noted the other scars on the Isur and looked intrigued. “Are all Isur as scarred as you or only just the ones that like to fight?” He asked. Kelski thought the question was a good one.

“I don’t really know much about the Isur. We hardly see them here in Sunberth unless they are in an armory somewhere. Will you tell us a bit about your history? Have you always lived here? Or are you new in this city?” She said softly, curiosity all over her face.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 15th, 2018, 8:21 am

Duncan stood still as Ebon got to work on his wounds. He couldn't help however but marvel at the man's skill and especially the glow that surrounded Ebon's hands as he literally wiped away the bruises on his face. As Ebon moved on to the knife wound in his side, Duncan winced a couple of times at the pressure of the sutures yet remained still; while he was new to the fascinating techniques Ebon used, he was no stranger to pain or having his wounds stitched. He did note however the added effort Ebon used in piercing the isurian flesh. In Sultros, such things were tended to with isurian steel instruments imparted upon with Izentor which made stitching the dense skin much easier.

As Ebon worked, Duncan listened to Kelski's description of Ebon's talents and nodded appreciatively with growing understanding of just how special the man was. A man trained in the arts of healing, with the grace of a goddess in his hands was truly remarkable indeed.

As Kelski laid out the details of what the Midnight Gem was about and what she did there; and of the job Duncan had come in search of, he quickly realized that his training would be of great use. The fact that the job came with a bit of room and board was more than he could have hoped for even with the domestic duties that were included. The mention of Kelvics however brought him pause and flooded his mind with questions even as she continued.

The part about discretion and keeping quiet about what took place at the establishment only lengthened the mental list of questions that were forming. What was it that they do here that is so secretive? He thought to himself as he tried to imagine what would go on in a jewelry shop that was so taboo. The secret healer couldn't be the source of such secrecy.

When Kelski was finished with her details of the job and asked Duncan what he felt about it, Ebon added his assessment of the isur's wound recovery along with the question of Duncan's scars. It was a fair question in Duncan's mind, though obviously it lacked the context needed to understand Duncan's feelings on fighting.

With a deep breath and a bit of light flexing and testing of Ebon's work, Duncan took the opportunity to respond to all that Kelski had said while addressing Ebon's question.

"Indeed the job is of interest to me, Lady Kelski and Ebon, your healing touch...it has the signs of a warrior to it as well. I'm grateful for your help. With that however, I have a number of questions if you do not mind as well as some answers." Duncan felt his face, the back of his head and poked a little at his stitched wound, all in wonder at how easily Ebon had handled it.

"First, Ebon, no, not all Isur bare scars like this. We are generally a peaceful people who prefer to spend our days and nights creating things, engaging in industrial pursuits and just living our lives as Izurdin intended. Izurdin, if you are not familiar with him, is the God of Strength and Patience and the father of our entire race. As for fighting, I don't particularly enjoy it. Combat should be the last resort in resolving a conflict. Unfortunately, it doesn't always turn out so ideal. My scars are a constant reminder not only of my successes but also my failures. I wear them with honor as they help define who I am." Duncan rubbed the largest of the scars on his lower abdomen where he was pierced with a spear during training back in Sultros.

"That I guess leads me to a bit about me and who I am; a fair question considering we are in the midst of a business transaction of sorts. I am new to Sunberth as of yesterday. I was born and raised far to the west in the Isurian Kingdom of Sultros. Among my people, I am one of Izurdin's Hammers. We are the protectors of the King, Kingdom and all that it entails. I am also a Disciple of Izurdin. Put simply, I enforce law and justice in the name of Izurdin, employing the strength and skill he has blessed me with to ensure the safety and security of The Kingdom. More recently, that mission has become much more." Duncan considered for a moment that such concepts may be too much for non-isur to fully embrace, yet, if he were to take on this job that was quickly feeling like more than simple guard duty, it was only fair that the one offering him such an opportunity know who they were employing.

"An obvious question not spoken would be, how does an Isur from Sultros find himself in Sunberth, two places so vastly far from one another? I was on a mission to escort a trade envoy to the city of Syliras. While crossing the Suvan Sea, our ship was attacked by something...I don't know what it is other than to say it was something out of a nightmare. Massive tentacles that wrapped around the ship and simply broke it; not an easy task considering Isurian ships are nearly invulnerable to harm. I had just enough time to grab my pack and attempt to abandon ship before the main mast was broken. The next thing I knew, I found myself waking up on a beach somewhere." It was a difficult memory, still fresh in his mind thus it caused Duncan to pause for a moment to recollect his thoughts and steel his emotions.

When he was finally ready, he continued. "Alone, lost, I had little in the way of knowledge or skill to survive in such an unknown situation. I didn't know if any of my fellow Hammers had survived. I didn't know if I would survive much longer. Thus I prayed. I prayed to Izurdin for strength. He answered. He gave me a vision of a place so wrought with crime, corruption and filth that it was literally devouring itself. He then contrasted it with a vision of home, of my father and of my fellow Hammers, many of whom he revealed had survived the attack on the ship. He offered me a choice. I could return home although it would be dangerous and I could likely die along the way. Or, I could travel to this city of sin and take with me the values that make me who I am; hopefully changing the lives of even a few for the better who in turn may change the lives of others and so on. Both choices would likely end in my death. If successful in either, one would lead me home, the other may make a difference in the lives of a few but such deeds would never be known to my people. You are witness now to my choice."

"Lady Kelski, I do not take a transaction such as this lightly. You offer me a a roof over my head, food in my belly and an opportunity to prove my worth. The job you describe is not unlike the duties I've performed as a Hammer. We all share the domestic duties of cooking, cleaning and maintenance. As for deliveries and protection of shipments, I have quite a bit of experience with such things. That said however, I am left with two issues that I must ask about." Duncan thought about his words for a moment before realizing he didn't really have the right ones so he simply jumped in.

"You mention Kelvics. First off, I have no issues with nudity; my people tend to wear little to no clothing unless engaging with the outside world. Yet, I admit I don't know what that has to do with Kelvics. See, while I am familiar with the term, I know only bits and pieces of rumors and children stories. Among my people, Kelvics are rarely encountered. When they are, they are highly respected for what is believed to be their unique physical attributes. It is said that Kelvics are able to transcend the mortal form and take that of the beast. My people hold in high regard the concept of physical perfection. It is why we spend so much time improving our own bodies as it is seen as a form of worship to Izurdin. Kelvics, able to rise above mortal physical confines, are seen as equals to the Isur; a perception not granted to simple humans in any way. They are companions, friends and allies. They are so rare though among us that I have never met one...until now it seems. You say that both of you are Kelvic and that there are two others here? I...I don't even know how to wrap my mind around such a thing. I will admit, I noticed something about both of you that seemed a bit...apologies for the term but a bit off, but I would never have guessed you were Kelvic." Duncan offered a respectful nod to both Ebon and Kelski. "I am honored to know you."

While the list of questions in his mind about Kelvics was pressing, Duncan decided they were best saved for later. Instead, he came back to the whole secretive vibe that Kelski's description of the Midnight Gem gave him.

"The other thing I was concerned about was your mention of discretion about what goes on here. Other than Ebon and his wonderful healing touch and its rarity, what exactly should I be keeping quiet on? What do you do around here other than jewelcrafting that I should be aware of?"
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on September 17th, 2018, 3:38 am

Kelski remained perched up on her workbench, one leg crossed over the other leaning on her knees as she watched Ebon work on the newcomer. She’d given the Isur a lot of information in a short amount of time and hoped he was able to follow her words and at least have some of it soak into his psyche. There was a time or two he looked quizzical as if he had questions about what she didn’t say more than he had questions about what she told him. That had the Kelvic intrigued because it was her experience, especially with humans, that they took words at face value and didn’t seem to ever look very much deeper. Kynier was an exception to that, but for the most part the Kelvic thought humans lazy thinkers and she was a bit surprised to find this Isur different.

In the end, she was glad Duncan had an interest in taking the job. She truthfully needed a trustworthy guard or two and she hoped he would be trustworthy. And that Duncan had questions was only natural. She nodded her agreement to answer some if he were inclined to ask as he explained himself. Kelski paid attention as Duncan explained his scars to the Night Lion. Kelski nodded to what the Isur said. She had scars she felt that way about as well. Kelski felt lucky Duncan had stumbled across them just his second day in Sunberth. The city tainted people, especially if they had no group to be a part of and no support. She had no idea who Izurdin was, but she listened carefully. God of Strength and Patience and the father of the entire Isur race. Kelski nodded again. Duncan had a story, much like everyone new to Sunberth had, and Kelski took in his situation and glanced at Ebon, wondering if the Night Lion felt any kindship with another person also cast adrift due to circumstances.

The fact that Duncan was as religious as Ebon or even herself was warmed Kelski’s heart. The God of Strength and Patience sounded like a worthy one to know. She truthfully could use more of both in her life and maybe there was a reason Duncan came to them. It certainly sounded like it.

She continued to nod at his words, keeping her thoughts to herself and letting him speak. His questions about Kelvics were both unasked but vivid in what he was saying. “Yes.. we tend to gravitate towards other Kelvics when we are unbonded as Ebon, Ren, Ember and I are. We shift our shape between one animal form apiece and a human form, but some traits remain. I am a Sea Eagle and Ebon is a Night Lion. We cannot shift without being bare skinned because our clothing does not transfer with us. Thus, it is often we find ourselves nude having just returned from a run or flight or just going on one. I am glad the Isur have no issues with nudity. It makes things easier for us. I fly a great deal, mostly mornings and nights to wake up and relax or to relax before trying to sleep.” She said softly, offering him a smile.

“You have quite the tale. You’ve traveled such a long way and had a lot happen. I cannot imagine being that far from a home you’ve always known, a people that accepted you, and a way of life that was set. Hopefully you will tell those who might be missing you of your fate so they know you are alright and that they can write or find you if they ever need too.” Kelski suggested, not having a family of her own truly but knowing how she would feel if she had one when she was ‘lost’ to the svefra. It would have been so nice to have had someone missing her or wondering what happened or even out looking for her. As it was, in her life, there had been no one until she’d come to Sunberth, made friends, and started The Midnight Gem.

His last question startled her. She refocused on Duncan and looked thoughtful. Glancing at Ebon, then meeting Duncan’s gaze she lightly leaped off her workbench, paced towards him, then slipped out of her shirt all the while turning around to show him the marks between her shoulder blades. Twin dark entwined triangles of Akajia were linked together on her back framed by her shoulder blades. “I am a Nightstalker, twice marked by Akajia, Goddess of The Night, Secrets, and Stealth.” She said quietly, slipping her shirt back on and turning to face Duncan. “Sunberth hates one thing above and beyond all others, even beyond organization, civilization and peace. They hate magic, for the city was ruled by mages for a time and those mages turned abusive and power hungry. It was not the magic that abused the citizens of this city, but humans behind the magic which were full of greed. I don’t have much use for humans, all save for a few, though I try to keep my anger at them to a minimum. But if they knew mages lived here and that the very building we live in itself is alive with magic and sentient in its own right, they would try and burn us to the ground.” Kelski admitted softly, reaching out to take Duncan’s hand.

“Come, let me show you upstairs.” She said, giving the shorter but much bulkier man a tug on the hand captured in her grip. If he let her, she’d lead him upstairs before she released him, showing him the newly completed great room, the main living quarters of the Gem, and pausing while asking him quietly.

“Ready for a tour?” She said, hoping his reaction to the magic and the fact she tried to push the conversation quickly past it while still being honest was favorable. If he was agreeable, she’d start with the kitchen, the balcony, and give him a quick tour of the upstairs which was clearly broken into defined spaces which all had their own purpose. And when they were done, all three of them could settle onto the couches, as she stirred up the fire. Then, there could be more talk. Kelski, herself, certainly had more questions.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 20th, 2018, 1:11 am

As Kelski addressed Duncan's questions, he gave special attention to her details regarding Kelvics. The idea that a person had it within their blood to alter their bodies in such a way to become a completely different creature was one that Duncan had difficulty imagining. As she further elaborated on her mention of nudity in relation to Kelvics, Duncan understood, at least the concept, the need to shed clothing. Regarding Kelski's further description of the Kelvic, Duncan commented, "I must admit, I would be honored to see such a physical transformation some time. A mortal being of the land able to become a being of the sky is remarkable."

Duncan also considered the possibility of feeling a bit out of place among the Kelvic. Although they all had claim to being non-human, it seemed as for the moment, that was where the similarities ended and the vast differences began. Such was a topic for later attention however as he continued to listen to Kelski's answers to his questions and comments on his story about himself and how he arrived in the city

In response to her comment about making contact with those back in Sultros about his condition, Duncan gave a soft nod of his head and said, "As soon as I am able to arrange such a thing, I will send word to The Hammer and let them know what happened. It is such a great distance though."

It was Kelski's reaction to Duncan's last question that caught him a bit by surprise. He raised his eyebrows as she walked toward him and removed her shirt. Before she turned around, he noted the sleekness of her upper body; the signs of definition around her shoulders and down her arms along with the slenderness of her waist. His gaze was not as much one of lust as it was one of appreciation. When she'd turned around and showed him her back, he knew immediately that he was looking at the marks of a deity; two of them. After she told him of being a Nightstalker and of Akajia as well as the relation magic had with Sunberth, Duncan attempted to process it all in his own mind. It was a lot coming at him at once especially when he'd originally come seeking a simple job. What caught him even more by surprise though was the mention of the building he was standing in was alive and intelligent.

Before she took his hand and attempted to lead him upstairs on a tour of the building, Duncan said, "Akajia...I have heard the name spoken among my people but until now didn't know much about who or what it was about. It is spoken seldom and only in regards to certain individuals within the Kingdom. It kind of makes a little more sense now."

"As for that part about magic..." Before he could comment on Kelski's sharing of Sunberth's views on magic, the fact that The Midnight Gem housed mages and perhaps the strangest part being the building itself was alive, she tugged on his arm. As she did, the fact that she seemed as though she was trying to change the subject or at least divert his attention from it all did not elude him. If anything it was intriguing if not a bit overwhelming. "As for the magic, perhaps we can talk more about that later." He said more as a placeholder for his own thoughts as he wasn't yet sure how to respond.

Duncan allowed Kelski to lead him up the stairs to the great room. He casually watched her move as she climbed the stairs. Not being human and possessing the traits of an animal made the way she moved make more sense to him. It explained why not only Kelski but also Ebon seemed to move in such a unique way.

As Kelski showed him around the upstairs portion of The Midnight Gem, he could see that there appeared to be more care in the construction and decor of the building than he'd seen in many others in his exceedingly short time in Sunberth. It also felt less like a simple business and indeed more like a home; not unlike many places back home in Sultros.

When they had finished with the tour and settled in on a couch near a fire, Duncan couldn't help but feel a sense of relief as the heat warmed his skin. It had been too long since he was able to allow himself to relax enough to enjoy such a treat. He still couldn't shake the strange feeling he got from how open and gracious both Ebon and Kelski were. Most humans he'd met in his life were not so welcoming. Yet, these two took him into their home, tended to his wounds, offered him a job and showed him around the place where they also offered to share with him.

"Lady Kelski, Ebon, I can't tell you how honored I am at just how gracious you both have been. I must admit, it is strange to me. Outside of Sultros, one such as I does not normally encounter such a welcomed acceptance. At best, we are viewed only for what we can create for others. At worst, we are seen as oddities and either feared or hated for being so different." Duncan offered a smile which looked slightly off when placed against the otherwise serious look that was a common feature to all isur.

"You have a wonderful home here and while I am still left with some questions about some of the more...interesting things you've shared with me. Such as the whole living building part and just what kind of magic is going on around here, I am still the newcomer here, the outsider. I would not think of allowing myself to be a part of your home without you first knowing more about me. Especially if I am to be one helping to safeguard your business and livelihood. Ask whatever you would of me and share with me anything else you feel I need to know." As he allowed himself to get more comfortable, Duncan put his torn shirt in his pack noting that he would need to find some more clothing soon. He also moved his toothed gauntlet from where it was hanging from his belt to being strapped to the side of his pack. The couch creaked a little under Duncan's weight as he moved although it held strong.
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on September 22nd, 2018, 12:40 am

Kelski smiled. “If you accept the job and the room, I’m sure you’ll see a lot of transformations. Ebon’s is spectacular. His black lion is huge… for all his humble attitude. I’m not sure how that happened.” Kelski said, glancing at the Night Lion in human skin. He smiled in return.

“Many creatures have undeserved reputations. My kind do a lot of scavenging at night and aren’t exactly as fierce as people paint us. Though I admit out on the Sea of Grass humans are often easy pickings for big cats like myself. I think that’s how we earned the reputation… culling lost and wandering folk that don’t belong on the Sea of Grass.” He explained as Kelski nodded. It was more than likely true. She’d not pass up a free meal herself if she was hungry.

“Though I am jealous of Kelski’s wings at times. I’d like to fly away from my problems at times.” He admitted softly, sitting close enough to the Sea Eagle he could reach out and touch her shoulder. They all looked comfortable sprawled in the couches surrounding the hearth that was blazing.

A small form slipped out of one of the rooms. Ember, having grown a bit looking more like ten than eight, smiled at the crowd. “Hello. You must be new. I’m Ember, Kelski’s niece. I know about having family far away. Ours all is.” She said thoughtfully and settled at Kelski’s foot, leaning against her aunt’s knee. The woman leaned forward and stroked Ember’s long dark hair. “Ember is my brother’s child. She’s visiting for a time. She’s also a kelvic… a little black mouse. So if you see her roaming around, please don’t take negative action. Just say hello…” Kelski suggested, smiling down at Ember and scratching her head affectionately.

The girl giggled and smiled. “I’ll try not to scare you…. ? I don’t know his name!” She said suddenly. Kelski shook her head, apologized softly, then said… “Duncan Rightstone. He’s going to be our new guard for The Gem.” Kelski explained, though her voice was pitched as if she were talking to an equal and not a child. Ember nodded.

“Welcome Duncan. I’m new here too. I just arrived at the end of last season. Kelski thought all her relatives were dead. Turns out she has a big family. Snatched a birth as a baby… sold into slavery… we would have given anything to have gotten her back. Her father especially. And now we have her back… we all thought she was dead.” Ember said until Kelski shushed her gently.

“Duncan doesn’t need to see all our dirty laundry. IF he wants to know he can ask.” Kelski said, patting Ember’s hair affectionately and running her hand through its dark length as if she were studying it intently.

Kelski nodded at Duncan’s words about Akajia. “She’s the Night Mother. If it is true that your people live underground a great deal, then I suspect she’s very common in your darkened land.” The Kelvic said, looking thoughtful. “I can speak of religion all day long. If you are a man of faith, which you seem to be, perhaps sometime we can exchange ideas. I know you follow Izurdin and I’d love to hear more.” Kelski was very spiritual. She wasn’t overly religious, but she suspected Duncan was the same. And she was glad he’d mentioned his God at the beginning. It felt like he was more honest, being open with her than he was being dishonest.

And Ebon was comfortable in the Isur’s presence. Ember seemed to be too. That meant a lot to Kelski.

She nodded to his comment about talking more about magic later. “Of course. I know I’ve laid a great deal on you in a short amount of time. By living here, you’ll get to know us better I suspect and we’ll have plenty of time to speak about whatever you want too. Magic, Spirituality, even this city… you’ll need to know a bit about it to get through the days and nights here.” Kelski advised, tilting her head and nodding gratefully at Ebon who had rose and disappeared into the kitchen. He returned with a plate of bread, cheese, and fruit… all purchased away from The Gem since none of them were very good cooks yet.

His gratitude wasn’t lost on Kelski. “We are creatures that are often considered no better than animals or pets. We understand how it feels to be an outsider. I think it gives us more hospitality and certainly makes us better hosts. Thank you for the compliments.” She could feel The Gem’s pleasure at the Isur’s words. Kelski had a feeling the building wouldn’t take an instant dislike to Duncan. In fact, it seemed The Gem was a whole lot in favor of him. That was a good thing because what he commented about next had her hoping she’d not have to explain about The Gem’s sentience further when she was so new to it and The Gem was so newly awakened.

“You look like a warrior… both in stature and the way you move. Since we train here to be better fighters, do you know anything at all about building up muscle and physical strength? Since you worship Izurdin, and have said he was the God of Strength… I’m just interested to know if you would share with us any ideas for growing stronger physically. I’m not interested in big muscles, but rather being able to run a long time or fight without being winded after a few moments.” Kelski said, deciding to start the conversation out on a light note. “I run along the beach sometimes. You’d be more than welcome to join me. Ebon sometimes comes as well. He likes leaving big paw prints in the sand to scare away beachcombers.” Kelski said, laughing lightly.

Ebon had a question too. “I come from a long line of healers… and those that serve healers. Do you know any sorts of medical knowledge of your people that you’d be willing to share with a Kelvic?” He asked, curious, knowing nothing of Isur or possibly Izurdin medicine.

Ember had a question too. The three Kelvics sorta asked them all at once, piling them on Duncan unexpectedly. “What do your people like to eat? We have to make do with bread, cheese, and fruit or stew or chowder because no one here is a very good cook. Ren burned cookies the other day trying to bake some.” Ember said, causing Kelski to laugh.

“I’m planning on hiring a chef soon. So hopefully the food will get better or we’ll have someone that knows about diverse dishes. I’m used to hunting and eating things raw. Do you like to hunt?” Kelski asked, tilting her head and waiting for him to catch up. And once he had caught up with the conversation, she added in one last thing before he could get another word in.

“Feel free to ask us questions you might have as you think of them too. I’m not very good at explaining employment to people. I’ve only worked for myself….” Kelski admitted, looking thoughtful and offering him a smile.

Count: 1200

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Duncan Rightstone on September 22nd, 2018, 6:03 am

Duncan looked to Ebon as Kelski mentioned the man's animal shape. Ebon's description of the black lion; the way the kelvic spoke of preying on humans sounded to Duncan to be more matter-of-fact than anything else. It was an odd perspective at least to Duncan but did speak to the part of him that valued strength. Those who were not prepared and/or not physically capable of handling themselves in the wilds, away from civilization, would either grow stronger or die; an unfortunate reality of life.

Ebon's comment about wanting to fly away from his problems brought to Duncan thoughts of how his own internal struggle with trying to live up to being the son of his heroic mother and devout priest father. It felt overwhelming at times. More than once Duncan wanted to just run from it all. While it was more a problem when he was a bit younger; his training and time in communion with Izurdin having helped, the thoughts are still there albeit a bit deeper and better managed.

Duncan thought he could hear pain in Ebon's voice. Perhaps it was the Anvil in him that saw an opportunity to guide and inspire or maybe it was the Hammer that sought to help others rise to call of war against their problems. Whatever it was that directed him, Duncan looked into the fire as he offered a comment to Ebon, his voice quiet yet still reflecting strength, "The thing about trying to escape your problems is that no matter how fast you fly or how far you run, it will never be enough, the problems will always be there, always trying to beat you down."

Pausing a moment, Duncan continued, "In the heart of Sultros Kingdom, there is a place called, The Plaza of the Crimson Arm. The ground is made up of countless crimson stones arranged in breath-taking patterns. Lining the outer perimeter of the plaza are great statues built to honor isur who've died as heroes. My mother's statue stands there. Carved into the base of her statue are the words she spoke upon becoming one of Izurdin's Hammers."

Still staring into the fire, he recited the words he knew by heart, "Life is hard, often unfair and not without tragedy. To rise above requires one to accept the challenges of life in true humility. No matter what destiny has planned, it can never be a cause for defeat, but a challenge which is a privilege to surmount.”

Duncan offered a soft smile as he turned his gaze from the fire and looked over to Ebon and Kelski.

"I am new here and I don't know what you have experienced in your lives. However, that you live and thrive in the heart of darkness is a remarkable display of personal strength." The serious moment changed quickly with the arrival of the small child.

Duncan turned to look at the newcomer as she entered the room. At Kelski's mention of Ember being a kelvic as well and a mouse, Duncan realized it would take him a bit to get used to the duality of life in the Gem.

Ember's excitement and nervousness was obvious in her introduction. When she jumped into talking about Kelski, her family and slavery, Duncan raised his eyes briefly from Ember to Kelski then back as it was revealed just how complicated all three of them apparently were. His attention back to Ember, he lowered his head in respect and said, "Thank you, Lady Ember, for the welcome. Please, worry not about scaring me. While I may be short in height, it's the short ones who are the fiercest." He didn't have much experience around children but hoped his little bit of humor wasn't lost on the little girl.

Duncan listened as Kelski spoke of Akajia a bit more and the fact that the kelvic appeared so interested in speaking about the divine was refreshing to him. It had been too long since he'd had the opportunity to speak with anyone at length about the gods and faith. "Most certainly, I would enjoy speaking with you about such things. It's been too long since I've had a chance to speak with others about Izurdin or any deity to be honest."

Duncan found himself feeling still a bit concerned about the talk of magic even after Kelski assured him that she would fill him in later. She was right though, there was a lot going on at once for him since first walking through the doors of The Gem. If not for his training and devotion to patience, he likely would have reacted much different to all that was being presented to him so quickly. He gave a mental prayer of thanks for having such an opportunity to be patient.

When Ebon left for a few moments only to return with a plate of food, Duncan thanked him and took a few pieces of fruit; savoring the taste.

Frowning at Kelski's mention of kelvics being treated no better than animals or pets, Duncan offered, "It may surprise you then to hear that among my people, animals are often seen as members of the family. In fact, my father shares a special bond with a mountain ixam, Istaris. A mountain ixam is a large lizard, almost 20 feet long, standing six feet tall. She is family."

Kelski's question about training brought a smile to Duncan's face. "The term warrior doesn't quite tell the whole story but yes, I am indeed trained in combat and physical development."

He chuckled at the mention of big muscles and said, "You don't need to look muscular to be muscular. I would be happy to show you what I've learned from my training and simply being an isur. For example, your running on the beach. Try running in knee-high deep water instead. It will build your leg muscles and improve your ability to breath and delay the muscle burning and fatigue from extended periods of running. I would be happy to join you on such runs." Duncan chuckled again at the idea of seeing a lion's paw prints on the beach.

Duncan looked to Ebon as the man offered his own question regarding medicine and healing. In response, Duncan said, "I know a little about reactive medicine; tending to wounds after they've been received; a rough stitching of a cut sort of thing. It's not pretty but it stops the bleeding. See, the isur are more skilled in preemptive medicine in the form of physical fitness and overall health. A varied diet, exercise and muscle development help build upon our already healthy bodies. As you've seen already, Izurdin has blessed us with thick skin and breaking a bone is almost unheard of. It would take quite a blow to break isurian bone. Yet, we are still a physical race. We engage in matches of wrestling for fun, for combat, to solve interpersonal issues and for competition. A good bar fight among spirited friends isn't uncommon either. Men and women alike engage in all manner of physically demanding activities, both alone and together and injury does happen." Duncan paused to eat some more fruit.

"Bloody noses are treated with bits of rolled up cloth in the nostril to halt the free flow of blood. Ice cold baths followed by heated ones help strained muscles to heal. Massage, my personal favorite, is also a common aspect of isurian life because of the relief it has on overworked muscles. I've seen wounds suffered in combat be sealed with a heated blade. It smells pretty bad and looks a bit uncomfortable but it does leave a scar worthy of conversation. Also, my people are extremely skilled in the art of magecraft. While I don't know how to use it myself, there are many items that have been created with it that help with pain and injury. I would be happy to talk more with you later about it all but most of what I know about medicine comes from my combat training." Duncan took all the questions in stride, answering each as best he could. There was difficulty however in describing all the relevant details of a race that hasn't had much positive contact with outsiders for centuries. Still, he tried.

Ember's question brought a wide smile to Duncan's face as he recalled the food back in Sultros. "We like to eat many things. My favorite are the albino shrimp of Lake Sultros. See, there is a great underground lake that surrounds the Sultros City. The shrimp that are found there are all white and blind but they are very fast and can sense even the slightest movement in the water. They are very good when fried in goat-butter and mixed with mushrooms. I have only made it myself a couple of times but I find it quite appetizing. I could attempt to cook it for you but I'm certain I'd have to use different shrimp and different mushrooms. I don't know if it would taste the same. The lake also has all manner of blind, albino fish. Above ground, in the hills around the mountains, there are those who raise herds of goats for fur, things made from their milk like cheese and butter as well as for meat. Our hunters also bring in rabbit, deer and elk. Raspberries, strawberries and blueberries are also good. As for actual meals, I'm not sure about everyone in the Kingdom but I enjoy smoked fish with a bowl of lettuce topped with goat cheese, blueberries and a glass of goat's milk." Duncan laughed lightly at Ember's mention of the one named, Ren, burning cookies.

To Kelski's question about hunting, "I don't dislike hunting. I'm not especially skilled at it unfortunately. I've yet to learn the concept of being quiet. I mean, I'm not exactly built for sneaking up on anyone, especially a creature born ready for such things. From what I gather though, I'm in the right company to maybe learn how to rise above my physical constraints." Duncan smiled wryly.

"I think you've explained plenty about the job and as I said, the details all sound acceptable. If you will have me, then I would like the job. It seems obvious that there is much more to it than a simple job, which that too I accept. I guess the question that comes to mind at this moment is, how is that you managed to create all of this? You say that kelvics are usually seen as pets at best. Yet here you are, the owner of a jewelry shop." Duncan took a breath and listened to Kelski's response.

As he listened, he absently felt the back of his head where Ebon had tended to the wound that was there. There was next to nothing as far as pain was concerned which Duncan still marveled at.

Word Count: 1,812
Duncan Rightstone
Izurdin's Hammer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Kelski on September 30th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Kelski sat curled on the couch, shifting so her legs tucked up under her. Ember grumbled but resettled cross legged leaning back against the couch with her small body resting on the floor. Kelski laughed, leaned forward, and plucked up her niece, cuddling her onto her lap. The Kelvic mouse resettled, looking much happier. Ebon was sprawled on another couch across from Duncan. So far so good. Duncan couldn’t replace Aer’wyn, but his energy in the room was a different sort anyhow, one that Kelski really appriciated. Kelski couldn’t quite put a feather on it, but he had a very easy serene presence. Had she any experience with those who were extremely devoted the whole of their lives to a sort of sacred upbringing, she might have recognized the feeling he gave. But since she hadn’t known such a thing, it was a foreign but welcome experience.

Ebon was evidently feeling it too because the male Kelvic was relaxed and all but purring himself. And her little niece, Ember, was trying to look attentive, though her eyes were slowly dropping - heavy as if she’d had a long day. Kelski worried briefly about Ember and what she’d been up to most of the day. Kelski really needed to pay more attention to her and spent less time in her workshop if she could manage it. But Ember was in many ways a child and Kelski had trouble relating to her. In fact, often she was jealous when Ember talked of their family, how it was growing up in their home, and what life was like being a K’etir. It wasn’t something Kelski could relate too. She was stolen away from her family, sold off, and robbed of any sort of knowledge of that family.

Kynier was out somewhere… doing work for his boss. Kelski hoped he was being safe, though she knew his job was dangerous and his hours erratic. She wished he could be here for this interview and to meet the new guard. His approval meant a lot, but ultimately it was her decision and she liked Duncan enough to proceed without all the resident’s home.

Duncan’s words resonated with Kelski a great deal. She nodded as she stroked Ember’s hair. “It’s true. Unless you face them, the world cycles back around and haunts you with them over and over again until you deal with them.” She said thoughtfully. Then she grew silent as he spoke further. She listened to his description of the Plaza of the Crimson Arm. He talked of a statue of his mother carved with words that also made sense to Kelski.

Ebon nodded, reaching up to wipe at his eyes. His recently lost bondmate was still fresh in his mind. They hadn’t had an easy time coming to Sunberth, but nevertheless he was moving on with his life as she would have wanted him too. But it was a hard thing, a horribly awful thing since he’d loved his bondmate and he’d been bonded to her since he was almost a child. He didn’t speak of it much, but was grateful to have found a life here at The Midnight Gem, even if it was a quiet one. He often felt like they dwelled in the calm before the storm. Duncan’s words seemed to reinforce that feeling.

Kelski offered him a smile when he said he was new and didn’t know what they’d experienced. The room was rife with tragedy and the individual tales of rising above it. But Duncan had no idea. He would learn though, living here, because often they talked openly and worried. They planned for the future and tried to guess what obstacles they might have to overcome in the future. None of them really knew though. They could only plan for so much.

“Your mother is remembered? Honored?” Kelski asked, looking thoughtful wondering why and what kind of family Duncan came from. “It must be wonderful to have memories of her. Is your father still alive? I didn’t know my parents… though Ember does. I was taken as a child and sold into slavery. Ebon is missing his bondmate too. He lost her to the streets of Sunberth. Many times, there is sadness here, but we try and plan for a better future and enjoy happiness where we can.” She said softly.

Kelski smiled when Duncan described Istaris and the fact that animals were often seen as family members. It was like that here too, at least in this home, though not citywide. She couldn’t imagine a lizard twenty feet long, one that might not fit well even in the very room they were settled in. It seemed fantastical, but then so did Duncan’s home as he described it.

“Sunberth must seem…. Very poor to you after what you’ve described. People here often have nothing and those that do have something, don’t care for it and just want more and more and more.” She added, looking thoughtful and intrigued. “But sometimes people that have nothing are far richer than people that have everything and do not see it as such.” She said, thinking out loud and glancing over at Duncan. “Does that mean you won’t stay long? Because you come from somewhere different? We were looking for a rather long-term situation in a guard, someone we can actually accept into the family like a member of it.” She said, knowing he had the idea now that he’d seen where they all lived and how they interacted together. Duncan wouldn’t be just an employee, nor would he be a stranger. He’d be thrust hands on into the middle of their odd assortment and it was something he’d have to decide now if he could accept or not.

Ember dropped off asleep in Kelski’s lap and the Sea Eagle kept cuddling her anyhow. To say that her niece smelled delicious to the raptor was an understatement, though Kelski never saw her as food. So instead she tucked her into her arms and kept soothing her, with a gentle smile on her face.

“It’s good that you are a warrior… or something like one. You’ll need to be that here in Sunberth. However, there’s something more to you. Ebon and I both feel it. There’s a serene calm to your presence, a balance and stability we don’t often find with fighters. It’s a very pleasing thing to be around… soothing.” Kelski admitted. Ebon nodded, looking mildly surprised that Kelski mentioned it but not disagreeing.

Kelski nodded at Duncan’s words. “I need to be stronger. I never want to be a slave again. I’ve started running to be more… “ The Kelvic lost the words she was looking for. “So I can keep up, have more … endurance.” She added, but I can’t fight as light as I am. I need a stronger body and I know I can make it that way. I will start running in knee-high water. I had not thought of that.” She added, looking quite intrigued. “And I would be glad for the company. Ebon often comes though Ember is too small. Ebon likes to run in his animal form.” Kelski added, grinning because it really truly kept people off the beach when the Night Lion was about.

At his response to Ebon, the healer looked thoughtful. “We don’t tend to think that way here. We patch up what gets messed up and don’t think to prevent injury. Your people have good points. But without the thick skin we don’t enjoy that safety measure. It sounds very fun though, being who you are and interacting in ways that are physical and yet not violent.” He nodded at Duncan describing various treatments and the hot and cold bath routines.

Both Kelski and Ebon had never heard of Magecrafting before. The Kelvic perked up at the term. “Magecrafting? What is that exactly? Do you actually make mages?” She asked, half laughing certain that’s not what he meant but still having to ask the question.

As the conversation drifted to foods, she listened wide-eyed as Duncan described the foods he liked and what he enjoyed eating. “That would be wonderful. If you like it we might too. I often enjoy things from the sea, but I don’t get shrimp often. Berries though… aren’t my favorite. I haven’t tried much of them…. they look unfilling. Fruit though I like. Ebon too.” Ember, still asleep, licked her lips at the words and Kelski grinned slightly. “It might be a predator verses a herbivore thing.” She added, stroking her sleeping niece’s hair again.

Ebon was laughing, nodding too. “Berries are great, Kelski. You should try them. Even lions who like mostly meat enjoy snacking on them. They are like tiny delicious treats.” He said, then chuckled at Duncan describing himself and his hunting abilities. “I’m huge and I can still sneak up on things. You should come hunting with me sometimes. I’ll show you how to move more quietly.” He added.

Kelski shook her head at the praise. “I took out a loan. I am working day and night to pay it off because debt is another form of slavery. I was trained as a jeweler as a slave so its something I’ve worked at for years, though this is the first time I’ve worked for myself and for pay.” She added, abruptly smiling at that thought. “It was a huge loan. It was ten thousand gold. I’ve got three thousand of it paid off. I’ll have another three thousand paid off at the end of the season… and I’ll only owe him four. There are a lot of people that want to see us fail. There’s a lot of people that will steal what we’ve amassed and endanger what we build here. There are a lot of people that want what we have because they think that we are weak and vulnerable. We aren’t, but there are always more of them than there are of us. That’s why we need more of us… as many more as we can get and trust.” Kelski said, looking thoughtful.

“Your faith of your God of Strength is welcome here. We have many deities represented here as well.” Kelski started to say as they could hear the tapping of ceramics against the wood of the floor. Slowly, making its cautious way into view was a small statue that looked like an old man carrying an instrument. The statue simply walked across the floor, paused near Kelski, and the Kelvic leaned forward scooped it up and set it on the low table that was resting before the couch. It tapped its way across to Duncan and stuck out a small ceramic hand. “I’m Little Rhaus. I serve the God of Music and provide entertainment and knowledge for people that live here. I’m part of the family too.. just like the building. I know of Izurdin and the Kingdom’s People. It’s an honor to have an Isur join us.” It said, quite seriously.

Kelski hoped Duncan wouldn’t react badly, but she was ready to defend her magical statue if he did. Little Rhaus had saved her when her life had been at its worse and she had guarded him and provided a family for him ever since.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next