Solo Nightterrors

Weekend challenge thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Nightterrors

Postby Raeyn on September 29th, 2018, 11:22 am

Fall 45th, 518 AV

We put terrible things out of our minds, not for a lack of empathy or some dark will to rid ourselves of that which makes us human. We do it to survive. For to live is to add weight to one's spine with every passing year. And even the strongest spines can break. Some of that weight needs to be left behind if one is to move forward. And Raeyn chose well with that which he left in his footsteps to be shrouded by the mists of the past, so that the tide can come in and take it away from him once and for all. Or so had he thought up until now.

Darkness surrounded him. But it wasn't the moonlit darkness of a night sky, nor the itch black of snuffed out candles. It was dread incarnate. The alchemist could hear his heart beat in his ears like a war drum. Somewhere in the distance a familiar voice screamed the words "I can handle him. I don’t need to be worrying about you, kid.”, broken up and splintered and so very far away. But Raeyn couldn't obey as that voice told him to leave. He wasn't at liberty to make those choices anymore. Had he ever?

At his feet there was blood, so very much of it. His own, pale, shaking hands dipped in it like quill dipped in red ink. He would raise them to his blinded eyes, take a step back which felt as if he was walking though tar, as he looked ahead. But in that exact moment everything went darker still. And whatever he saw at the tip of his nose would remain shrouded in obscurity, simply forgotten by a mind that spent a decade making every effort to do so. In a flash Raeyn was sucked out of the past and back into reality where the blood on his hands had been washed off years ago.

Drenched in sweat, the alchemist was brutally ripped out of the night terror. Eyes flaring open for fear of what lingered in the darkness beneath them, with tears streaming down his cheeks. A great weight on his chest, compressing his lungs, denying his breath. Fingers clenched in fists around scraps of the blankets that covered him until nails dug into his palm. A familiar pain, reminding him that he was indeed alive, he was awake, he was at home.

His mind struggled with itself for a prolonged moment. A part of it wishing to forget the nightmare in an instant, the other searching to uncover those missing bits forgotten by awaking in the most masochistic of ways.

A hand crept onto his shoulder, making Raeyn flinch for a moment before allowing himself to be soothed by the touch, pulled into an embrace where he could catch his breath, calm himself from this attack of pure panic. As air snaked into his lungs as if they missed it's very existence, the alchemist turned over to meet the eyes of Sasha who looked as if he'd seen a ghost, so worried was he. And without much thought, Raeyn buried his face in the man's chest where his tears could be hidden safely like pearls.

W/C: 536
*Boxcode by Allassanachassanya
Last edited by Raeyn on September 29th, 2018, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Words: 310107
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2018, 11:35 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Nightterrors

Postby Raeyn on September 29th, 2018, 11:58 am

"It's alright my love. It's alright." the Kelvic whispered, leaving gentle kisses in the tangled red hair. His voice that of an antidote to misery. "What happened?"

There were many questions Raeyn didn't want to answer. This was one of them. But the season so far has indeed taught him there was nothing to be kept from Sasha. Wither his intuition would lead him to uncovering all answers, or the act of nagging his bondmate till he gave up resisting and speak the truth himself. And whilst up until now Raeyn had grown quite fond of this intrinsic curiosity that he saw manifest every single day, he couldn't hide the fact that revealing the nature of his nightmare made him nervous. There many things Sasha had forgive him. But was this a crime to be forgiven?

An intrusive vision passed before his eyes, clearer than daybreak itself. As if it happened yesterday he felt the weight of the man who'se life he took grow limp at the end of the dagger. He remembered the sound of sliced flesh, the crushing of bones, the horror...

For half a season now Raeyn had grown nothing but happier. His life finally seemed to fall into place after he met Sasha as if the missing puzzle piece was finally discovered only to fit near perfectly into the picture of the whole. The Kelvic was such a distraction from the misery of everyday existence that Raeyn had almost forgotten what misery was. By Sasha's side he was a stronger man, a better man. A man unafraid to delight in things delightful, to face adversity and come out victorious. A heart cased in steel, defended by love and purpose so much so that he'd found the will to forgive those he thought have wronged him, to trust new acquaintances with his friendship. Why was it that the one thing to punctuate all those wonderful things would be nightmare of dead past that just wouldn't stay down? Why was now the time for this dream? Had reuniting with Liard anything to do with it?

Raeyn took a few languishing moments to calm and compose himself. Though at liberty to express himself freely around the Kelvic, he simply couldn't stand being the cause of his worry. Slowly he sat up in bed, still visibly shaken but at least little less so, before speaking quietly, porcelain white fingers fiddling with his hair as he did so. "You'll know if I lie to you, won't you?"

"Perhaps that is a reason why you should tell me the truth?" asked Sasha, reaching out for the alchemist's hand and interlacing their fingers tightly.

"How I wish you'd allow me to keep this one thing to my self. There's still a lot you don't know about me, my love. And certain things I hope you never find out."

Sasha's eyes grew soft as a pillow, a worried smile glimmered on his gentle face. Brows pulled up to wrinkle his forehead with worry. "Whatever it is I certainly doubt it's anything as bad as you make it out to be in your head, Raeyn. To call you a drama queen would be an understatement." the Kelvic chuckled lightly.

And how ironic those words were. How it saddened Raeyn that he would prove his beloved oh so very wrong on this one occasion. For having a flare for the dramatic did not preclude him from seeing his past for what it was, a crime and thus himself a criminal who had ran from justice. He could dress himself up in propriety and finery and jewels. He could carry himself like a Lhavitian gentleman; act like one, talk like one, walk like one. He could convince everyone around him he was pure as silk, even convince himself. But beneath it all his life was a farce.

W/C: 640

Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Nightterrors

Postby Raeyn on September 29th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Raeyn breathed in, bracing himself before he would inevitably poor his heart out in a flood. Truth will set you free - or so they say. "If I tell you what that nightmare was about, you must promise not to leave. At least not before giving me a chance to tell you the whole story. Sasha, it isn't an easy one to tell."

"Why ever would I leave? Raeyn..." the Kelvic pulled himself up and placed his palm on his lover's cheek, drawing him closer. Such sincerity was hard to come by in people. But Sasha was nothing if he wasn't sincere indeed. "I love you. So very much. And if I haven't proved that you can trust me with anything, let this be the moment I do."

Beneath a moody, prickly exterior Raeyn his a soft heart. One easily persuaded by sweet words. And in all honestly there was a part of him that wanted to share this secret he held for so long. A deep, dark secret known by none other by Liard and himself. And though so many years ago he promised to keep this things just that, a secret, he wanted to trust his love with this weight now, let his own conscience rest.

"Sasha... would you think less of me if I told you I killed somebody... once?" he said slowly, carefully, quietly. Swallowing hard as he let the words slip.

Raeyn's eyes watched the Kelvic as in slow motion. Watched teeth sink into his lower lip, concern grow in his eyes. He watched the subtle hesitations in body language as the Kelvic's back straightened and eyes looked back at him. "You said you'd tell me the whole story." he uttered. Honestly Sasha didn't quite know what to say. The words brushed off his skin like water off a duck's back and not for a second did he believe them. Simply there was nothing that he saw in the hunter, nothing he felt though their bond that would suggest any degree of sociopathy. How could he think of this beautiful, caring, passionate creature that sat before him as a murderer?

Raeyn's hands joined Sasha's. A need for reassurance was visible in the way they trembled as he spoke. And though he did his best to keep himself calm and composed, regret shone like fire though the cracks. "He was my best friend's father. And believe me when I say he deserved it, I mean it. Such a rotten human being he was. Still... a day hasn't passed since that I haven't wished for things to have turned out different somehow. I hadn't made the choice to kill him. It was an accident. The whole thing was one cursed accident."

W/C: 453
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Nightterrors

Postby Raeyn on September 29th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Raeyn could feel tears well up at the back of his throat and it took al his might to push them back down. Tears for the lost innocence of his youth. Tears for fear of loosing his beloved to this tragic confession. But it was too late to turn back. If truth was to set him free, then Raeyn at least held faith that it wasn't freedom from Sasha he sought after.

The Kelvic remained silent, allowing his beloved to speak his truth. To make up his mind about something like this he wasn't quite prepared for.

"Let me start at the beginning. What you must know, my love, is that when I say he was rotten to the core, I mean it. He was a belligerent drunk. And... abusive drunk. And what I saw him do to my friend the night it happened, almost ten years ago, will stay with me forever. We were children back then and neither of us deserved to be at the receiving end of his rage."

It was all starting to make more sense to Sasha. And the emotion with which Raeyn spoke made him realise the sincerity of it all, the trauma he went though completely undeserved. And as he listened to the tale, he was nothing if not grateful for being entrusted with this secret. The Kelvic wound his arms around his waist and pulled himself closer to Raeyn, letting his head rest into the crevice of his shoulder. Tight was his grip on the man, affectionate, soothing.

"If I wasn't the one to take his life, he would have killed me, or my friend. Or the both of us. But instead he tripped and fell on my damned knife as if to spite me." There was a lump in his throat. A lump he was finding harder and harder to push past. Raeyn decided it would be best to spare the details of what they did after. They way they caved up the corpse, stuffed it into bags and threw them off the side of the mountain into the abyss bellow. How they spent the night cleaning up dried blood from the floor. How they watched the sunrise come up, both horrified how time didn't stop still when somebody died. He didn't speak of how this tragedy tore the two boys apart from almost a decade. How he'd been alone with it all for all that time.

It wasn't scorn that Sasha replied with. Nor was it judgement. It was a kiss on the forehead and a deep empathy that ran though him like mercury in his veins."I'm so sorry, my love. I'm truly sorry this happened. But do not blame yourself. Not anymore."

"How can I not?" he muttered.

"I may not have lived a life as long as you humans but even I know that killing in self defence is like hunting. And, by the gods, if something happened to you... I would have never met you. If this terrible man had to die so that you could come into my life, as you did, so be it. He deserved his fate." Few things was Sasha as sure of as the words that left his lips in that moment. His opinion of Raeyn didn't change. The man was no villain, to him, but a survivor. "Are you still in contact with that friend?"

Pulling up for a moment Raeyn nodded. "He's the man I'll be setting off on a hunt with, in a couple of days. Liard, is his name."

"I'm glad to hear. Surely that, if anything proves the whole ordeal to have been worth it." smiled Sasha, trying his best to cheer his shaken partner up. And he did a pretty good job at it from his smile was infectious.

"I'll need to tell him I told you. And how he's going to take it... that I don't know. Still I'd like the two of you to meet one day. You're too big a part of my life to hide away."

The Kelvic's grin only grew in intensity. Such words he lived for. They gave him wings. For, who didn't wish to feel the most important to somebody they loved? For a Kelvic, to belong, to serve was what completed him. And to hear that he was doing a good job at it was a sweet cherry on top. With a devilish grin he leaned into Raeyn and sunk his lips into a deep deep kiss. One hand caressing the back of his neck, the other one gently running his nails along the Inarta's shoulder. As if it was second nature to him, Raeyn's body replied with adoration in turn. A kiss such as this was enough to wash all worries away for now. Sasha was the best distraction.

Sunrise would see them sleepless. Raeyn's frazzled mind seduced into calm with the passion that burned hot as molten lava. The hind of affection he could never grow tiered of. How very lucky was he. How he counted his blessings every day to have found himself a little piece of paradise in this world, in the arms of his beloved bondmate. Nothing else mattered.

W/C: 867
Total: 2496
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Nightterrors

Postby Madeira Dusk on October 18th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Raeyn

Skills
  • Meditation: 1xp
  • Socialization: 1xp
  • Storytelling: 2xp
  • Seduction: 1xp

Lores
  • Meditation: using pain to focus
  • Sasha: has improved Raeyn's life exponentially
  • Socialization: lover's banter
  • Sasha: thinks Raeyn is a drama queen
  • Sasha: knows Raeyn is a murderer
  • Sasha: forgives Raeyn

Awards & Retribution

Notes
Awe <3

Remember to delete your grades!
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)