Closed [Seaside Market] Supply Run (Tythos)

Kelski heads to town to pick up groceries and armor and finds a cook.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Seaside Market] Supply Run (Tythos)

Postby Kelski on September 21st, 2018, 11:38 pm

Timestamp: 15th of Fall, 518 A.V.

Kelski had been spending a great deal of time with Moth. At first it was out of concern because the thin little gelding who Anja had declared not completely ruined had needed help. Then because she’d actually started enjoying the silver and grey four-legged companion. She watched him eat suspiciously, at first as if she’d take the food away. Then she watched him watch her suspiciously as if he was waiting for the terrible loads or the cruel whip. Kelski rather figured being a horse was a lot like being a slave. You had to do with someone told you whenever they told you and that was that.

But she didn’t ask much of the gelding. She asked him often to let her touch him. The Sea Eagle brushed him and brushed him, watching neglected horse hair fall out of his coat and reveal a shining dapple white coat with grey and silver points beneath. He was a handsome boy, really, with eyes as silver as her own. And he was funny. She hadn’t realized horses could have a sense of humor. He’d often find some bit of her clothing, a scarf or one of her pieces of leather securing her braid… and he’d steal it out of her hair or off her neck and play with it as a child would play with a toy, tossing his head up and down, pawing at it, and generally covering it with slobber. And if she acted offended enough and chased him, he’d take off, proud of his theft trotting off with the item usually dangling from his jaws. Laughter always followed him and a true affection grew between them.

Kelski began to trust him, taking him out with her sometimes on her runs at the end of a line like person would a beloved dog. He was really big for a dog though, and as his form filled out, she would run out, taking a long long way down the beach until she was too tired to go any further. Then she’d stand at his side, practicing mounting, with little vaults that her untrained body often fell short of. She tried anyhow, vaulting up and up and up even if she never managed his back. Someday she would. And when she grew too tired from such jumps, or he grew annoyed at her bouncing off his side trying to achieve his back, she’d find some driftwood or a pile of trash, clamber up it, call him over, and slide on. Then Moth would faithfully carry them back to The Gem.

He must like where he lived because on those long runs, when she pointed his nose towards home, he always moved out happily and gladly, trotting most of the way and sometimes even gently cantering. If she asked him to slow so she could enjoy the rain, he would. She always worked on her balance, centering herself between his shoulders, higher on his back than on his butt, and guiding him with her legs. She used the halter as a steering device too, but rarely took his bridle and bit. It just seemed cold, the iron rod through his tender mouth. And he didn’t seem to mind either way. So she left it off more than she brought it unless she was driving him.

Today they were driving.

Kelski needed to head to the Seaside Market to pick up supplies for The Midnight Gem. It was her turn to get groceries and pick up an order from the armorsmith. Kelski had finally ordered herself several pairs of leather gloves – one fingerless – and a full set of night leather armor. From the same leatherworker as the glove maker, she’d also ordered a tall set of boots perfect for running or fighting. She’d had several sheaths built into them along the rigid parts of her leg where they were made to look like decoration. And finally she’d ordered a repeating crossbow from a weaponsmith that frequented the market. She had clips on order to go with it. And if they were all done she’d pick them up.

The groceries, however, were the most important. So, she carefully laid Moth’s harness on him, began fastening the girth and breast band in place, hooked up his cropper, and backed up the cart to him. She hooking up the hames and tugs, putting the traces in place, and then fit his bridle onto his head over his halter and running the driving lines up through his harness and back to the cart. He stood quietly for it all, having seen the empty cart designed to transport passengers and not wood. Kelski wasn’t a confident horsewoman, being Kelvic it definitely went against her nature, but she wanted to blend in and take Moth places. She ended up checking the connections and harness over and over until she was sure it was comfortable and safe. Then she lead him out the front gate at the side of The Gem and climbed onto the cart.

They were off in a heartbeat, heading towards the market from Baroque Bay. Moth made the trip far easier than it would be walking, hauling heavy baskets of groceries or hiring a wagon. The money she’d saved from constantly hiring wagons was more than enough to feed him. Hay had been arranged from Jolly Good to be dropped off once a ten day. And Rodgers and Rodgers had began the work on the small stable she was having built off to the side of The Gem but not attached. There was a reason. Kelski wanted to imbue the stable as much as she had The Gem, using it as a second building, one focused solely on the animals in its care. It would be good practice, and Ember had assured her that her family often imbued the outbuildings, giving them life and purpose as well.

Moth pulled the little cart confidently, navigating the traffic with an expertise that Kelski simply didn’t have. He had a knack for knowing when and where he needed to zig or zag or hold his ground. Cart horses, evidently, had a survival instinct. And with Kelski’s hands light on the lines, it looked like she’d been driving all her life even though the horse could scent the fear rolling off the Eagle every time the traffic got congested.

They only went to the market, the forges, and sometimes out along the beach so once Kelski had pointed his nose in a direction, he knew thereabouts where they were going and took it upon himself to get there. The little horse was grateful for his new life and wanted to live it in the ease of mainly a pasture pet and sometimes a light cart horse. And to show his gratitude, he stepped out lively, lifting his legs high in a parade trot when someone might be looking. Kelski barely noticed, her knuckles white on the reins even though she wasn’t pulling at them.

They managed to get where they were going easily enough. A stop at the leatherworkers, packages collected, a stop at the weaponsmith… another package collected, a stop at the armorer and yet another package collected… and Kelski was pulling Moth up at a produce vendor who was right net to a meat vendor.

The vegetable man saw her coming and pulled out a basket and began filling it with her usual order. The Kelvic retrieved an empty one from the back of the cart and returned it to him. Handing him coins, she took the produce with a thanks and carried it over to the meat vendor, keeping Moth and the cart in sight at all times.

“I need something easier to cook than the whole turkey of last week. I have six people to feed all week, but none of us can cook worth a darn. And one is an Isur. For being shorter than I am, he eats a great deal.” She commented to the vendor. The vendor looked thoughtful, looked around, and gestured to a half of a pig. “How about pork? There’s a lot you can do with it and its hard to screw up.” He added, looking her over. “Why don’t you just hire a cook if you have that many mouths to feed?” He asked, looking thoughtful. “I mean you are that jeweler from the Midnight Gem. It should be in your means.” He advised, looking proud of himself for the suggestion.

“I don’t know any cooks.” Kelski replied with a smile. “If I did, especially one that knew Isur food, I would completely consider it. They’d have to be able to cook for Kelvics and humans too.” She added, thinking ahead. “Probably at least two meals a day with a prepared snack/lunch for some of them during the day.” She added. “Do you know anyone?” The Kelvic asked the butcher. He looked around and then slowly smiled.

Count: 1531

Purchases :
Gloves – 2 sm/pairx3
Leather, Night – 60 GM
Boots, High – 5 smx2
Boots, Low – 3 smx2
Repeating Crossbow – 250 GM
Repeating Crossbow Clip (holds 5) – 1 GM (x10)
Groceries: Seasonal Expenses At Good Living
=322.2GM
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tythos Everstorm on September 22nd, 2018, 8:53 am

Tythos strode alone through the Sea Side Market. His head was bowed as he walked, swaying to a soft tune he was humming to himself while the Isur's hands grasped tightly around the haft of his Rock Crusher hammer that he carried slung over his left shoulder.

The rather massive weapon alone made Tythos an oddity as he paid no heed to the rows of market stalls, goading merchants, and other low life's as he passed; he never looked behind him. The clang of his campfire cooking kit clamored along side the pots of his chefs kit, making him sound like he should have been wearing a set of full plate armor as the heavy winds continued to rock his equipment.

It was rather obvious why the Isur had confidence in not being targeted by a pickpocket. The small walking boulder of a man had tied all of his items to the end of that massive hammer to carry his equipment in a bindle-stick-bag manner. Anyone who wanted to steal from him would need to try to carry all of it away after instigating a fight then run from him against the blowing winds.

The strain on his face alone showed that he required the use of both of his hands maintain control of the large weapon on his left shoulder, though his isurian arm to bore most of the weight. The extra weight was just a bit of healthy bodybuilding. One leg at a time. His booted steps were heavy as the Isur seemly carried the weight of a grown man with him throughout his active day when not camped at the Tent city.

Tythos was still new to Sunberth, but unlike many new visitors, the Isur was starting to enjoy the city. He could find a fight whenever he wanted to wrestle, a mouth to feed when he wanted to test his cooking recipes, and no one at the Tent City complained about his food when the green armed Isur gave his meals out for free. Sure, his food might have been a bit tough or mildly raw at times, but no starving beggar would bite the rock like Isurian arm that fed them. Tythos only flitted his gaze from stall to stall which managed to catch his nose, rather than his eye. The scents of pork, the wafting of piled herbs, and seasonings. Those were the things which would catch his curiosity.

His nose caught the scent of raw meat which lingered in the air, past the stall full of vegetables. It could only mean that either their was a food stall or a dead body. Tythos instantly recognized the smiling Meat Vendor as the merchant who sold him venison during his first nights dinner in the city. The stall was in a new location, but it was the same man. He approached the stall, standing next to the rather tall woman with white streaks through her hair. The Vendor asked a rather pointed question at Tythos, as if knowing it would trigger the Isur into answering Kelski's question.

"What's on the menu today?"

Tythos shifted the hammer from his shoulder to guide all of his worldly possessions down gently to the ground, then used his green hand to stroke his chin in thought about that rather open ended question.

"A cuts of lamb with mustard on a single toasted bread. If you don't have lamb, then maybe a roast loin of pork. I'd get a few pickled mushrooms to go with it from that that vegetable stall to replace the lamb. Or, just go pork and make a large stew with mushrooms, cabbage, and potatoes."

Tythos turned to look straight up at Kelski to ask for her opinion on what he should eat tonight. "What do you think? Lamb on bread or a Pork stew?"

Count: 639
Tythos Everstorm
Weather the storm.

Words: 32577
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 8:49 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kelski on October 6th, 2018, 3:29 am

Kelski blinked in confusion. Had the butcher just asked someone what was on the menu? She turned and saw the Isur standing beside and slightly behind her holding an enormous hammer with what appeared to be some sort of traveling sack tied to its end. Having no sense of what was appropriate or not, Kelski took the time to look him over thoughtfully. He had a pleasant face and looked a lot like Duncan’s people looked. And as she watched him guide the hammer to the ground along with the bag gently, she noted his arm was green and not sapphire which was odd enough next to his tinted skin. Was he a different tribe… no Duncan had said that the Isur had clans… was he a different clan from Duncan then?

She looked on curiously and the man spoke. He rattled off some food that sounded good, if not a bit fancy, and then looked at her.

“I have no idea what is better tasting…. lamb or pork stew… but I do really like things from a pot.” She answered, looking the stranger over. “Are you a cook?” She asked suddenly, tilting her head and looking him over. “I’m looking for a cook. Someone that knows Isur food as well as dishes that Kelvics and humans would like.” Kelski said abruptly, suddenly putting it together that the butcher was giving her a clue that this man was by the funny look he’d been making.

She turned back to the man, with a smile to the new person, and said… “We’ll try the pork… half a pig you say? Will that last six people long?” She asked, glancing between the two men, very unsure. Then she pulled out a grocery list that was quite long and sorted through it. “I need lard too… to fry with. Bacon. Jerky or good trail rations. And a few stripped knuckle bones or femur bones. We have felines with the need to gnaw on things and I’d rather they had bones than chew on the furniture.” Kelski added, knowing the butcher was rather used to her order.

“Oh and albino blind cave shrimp or normal shrimp if you don’t have the special white ones. The Isur that lives with us wanted those. He says they are his favorites.” She added, glancing back at the stranger who had yet to introduce himself.

“I’m Kelski. I own The Midnight Gem and have several employees that work and live there. We have a few open rooms and are looking to fill a few more spots including a cook. The job pays well and comes with free board.” She added, glancing around to no one in particular, as if she were still unsure if this man was a cook or not. He seemed to know how to put dishes together and what ‘lamb’ was. Kelski had no idea.

“We might need to have some lamb to try too. I’m not even sure what it is…. truth be told.” She added, glancing around the vast array of meats displayed as if lamb would jump out and introduce itself. It didn’t, and she once more looked between the two men expectantly after she handed the butcher her list.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Tythos Everstorm on October 11th, 2018, 10:24 pm

“Things from a pot?” Tythos couldn’t get over that phrase once she’d said it. "We're going to need to talk later about 'looking before you leap' when eating food from a pot."

He wasn’t quite sure why it tugged at him the way it did, but it he couldn't help but chuckle as the woman looked him over. "Yes, I'm a cook. Anyone who eats food should be a cook to some degree. I just enjoy doing it more than most.” He stated between a self amused chuckle. It wasn't like he was a knowledgeable chef, he just talked about meals he'd eaten or seen growing up in Sultros.

The job offer was surprising, which sent Tythos into a sudden moment of existential reflection after thinking about food proportions on a plate or in a bowl. "Half a pig can last quite a while for six people, I've seen taverns and Inns make hunter's stew that are just constantly added and kept at a simmer with new meats. Perpetually maintained. In that way, it could be a way to always have food at the ready. I've not tried cooking something so lasting, but I've wanted too."

Tythos saw himself as a hobby chef in much the same way that he enjoyed bodybuilding. Cooking was his favorite tertiary hobby that he required to keep his bulky physique to maintain his strength. Bodybuilding was his secondary skill to advance his main combat ability as a wrestler. He was fully intent on using his wrestling ability to obtain a mercenary job or becoming a fighter at Tall Johnny's like those homeless he fed at the Tent City had suggested. But now, after all of his eighty years of life, the rather stout Isur decided to take up his favorite hobby as a profession.

His personal reflections were side tracked once he started to listen to what the woman had on her shopping list. Tythos chimed in for a moment once she mentioned a food he and some other Isur enjoyed. "Albino cave shrimp and ale marinated mushrooms! I used to hate some mushrooms until my mother altered their taste with ale."

Tythos mused with a wry smile when Kelski introduced herself. "Its a pleasure to have met you Kelski of The Midnight Gem, my name is Tythos Everstorm. You're new cook." He reached out with his solid green hand aiming to plant it firmly onto her shoulder, moving to stand next to her as if they'd been friends for years. Kelski had already said a few adorably naive things, but not knowing what a lamb was pushed that humor over the edge. He didn't even start laughing, his pulled lips just went from a smirk to a smile.

Meat looked like other meats after a butcher got through with them, Tythos looked towards a whole rib cage that might have been deer, or lamb. He looked at the Butcher, then gestured to the ribs with his eyes before being greeted with a shake of the mans head. He watched as the Meat Vendor pointed to cuts of lamb shoulders. Tyrhos pointed to the meats as well."That is Lamb shoulder. The child form of sheep. The things that go bah and people cut wool from. I can make many things in a pot, but what food would you like to eat If I had the chance to make it?"
Tythos Everstorm
Weather the storm.

Words: 32577
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 8:49 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kelski on October 14th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Kelski raised her eyebrow in regards to the ‘we’ll need to talk about that later’ comment. It sounded like something Kynier would say about magic. The Kelvic listened to him but frowned when he talked of making food in a pot and just adding meat and extras to it and keeping it going. She made a grimace and shook her head. “We want fresh food daily, not a pot that is added too.” Kelski said, firm in that decision. “If we pay someone to cook for us, we will do so with the understanding we will eat something different and delicious every day, and not just from the same pot with meat and more water added. That sounds like illness waiting to happen. I’m not a carrion bird. I eat fresh or I don’t eat at all.” Kelski said firmly… feeling like the Isur was a bit different than what she’d come to think of Isur’s due to her interaction with Duncan.

She took a moment to put her crate of produce into the cart Moth was standing stoically with just a few feet away. She was back in a moment.

Kelski looked oddly at Tythos and furrowed her brow. “You’ll be hired for sure if you can cook something we all like.” She said firmly, knowing that situation shouldn’t be hard. Even though they had diverse tastes, they all liked fairly simple faire that was hearty and plentiful. When his hand landed on her shoulder, a dagger materialized against his wrist, more than willing to cut it off. She studied him intently, not friendly and not unfriendly, but not willing to be touched without permission. Tythos was a stranger and he hadn’t earned the right to touch her. She carefully stepped out of his grip and glanced at the butcher, wondering what he’d thought of her order. He looked like he thought something was funny, but she wasn’t sure what.

“It’s nice to meet you too, Tythos.” Kelski said politely. She didn’t want him to think she was hostile, she just didn’t know him and didn’t want the familiarity yet.

The vendor was already getting her order together, throwing knucklebones in a sack with a bucket of lard and a huge bunch of pork belly Kelski could cut into bacon. He took down a fresh half-pig and laid it out as well, throwing the rest of her order together. He glanced at Tythos wondering if anything he’d add to the order.

Meanwhile Kelski studied Tythos as he talked about lamb. Ahh. Sheep.. the young form of sheep. She understood and nodded. “I’ve killed and eaten several. They are delicious. But they are not my favorite. My favorite foods are fish and in particular salmon. I also love clams and gathering them. They make really good foods cooked in milk with potatoes and spices. I’ve even had them with pasta, though pasta is a bit complicated for me. Can you make pasta?” She asked, knowing her skill at cooking was meager at best. She could scramble eggs and make things boiled in a pot and that was about it.

“We also have chickens that create eggs. When the barn is built I’ll get a milk cow too.” She said, certain that was going to be a future purchase as well. “Can you make cheese? I happen to LOVE cheese.” She added, smiling gently and feeling slightly hungry now that they were talking about food.

“What are your…. What do they call it?... signature dishes?” She asked, studying Tythos and then gesturing at her order. “I have produce in my cart as well. Lots of fresh food. We like it like that. What can you make with what I’ve purchased and what else do you need to add to it?” Her crate of produce had corn, beans, mushrooms, potatoes, a few heads of lettuce, carrots, onions and peppers in it.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelski on December 24th, 2018, 3:53 pm

G R A D E S
Kelski

Animal Husbandry +1, Driving +1, Planning +2, Leadership +2

Typhos: Appearance and Mannerism, Typhos: Isur Cook. Lamb: Baby Sheep

Tythos

Planning +1, Socialization +2, Teaching +1, Observation +2

Kelski: Owns The Midnight Gem, Kelski: Doesn’t know what Lamb Is, Kelski: Likes Things From A Pot, Kelski: Appearance and Mannerisms

Notes: I feel like this is a trend where all our threads get dropped. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

PM me with questions or concerns.

Kelski

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)