Closed Fare Sailing (Kailani)

A spy is in need of the right ship for a job.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Fare Sailing (Kailani)

Postby Kynier on October 25th, 2018, 9:37 pm

It was obvious from the way Kailani smiled that she was one who enjoyed mischief. To willingly go into a ship graveyard was something that never seemed like the best idea regardless of the context. And yet, she smiled. Kynier held tighter to the rigging as the ship shifted suddenly from the Sunset Tide turning. Their voyage was swift and over before Kailani had finished telling her story. Kynier could’ve been mistaken for a fixture, the way he stood still and listened to her tale. Kailani, was a survivor.

As the ship quietly floated in the cove she remarked about major events and their accompaniment by storms. That was a metaphor on life it seemed. As least to Kynier’s experience it was. And while he had not one sailing bone in his body, he was able to find admiration for the Svefra’s ability to endure several storms and still stand there smiling. With the ship more or less stationary, Kynier walked over to the mast and leaned against it. He looked out towards Lodestar Isle. The Lighthouse still functioned but failed to purge the island of an ominous presence.

When she asked him about his history and how he had been led to Sunberth, Kynier Crossed his arms and sighed. He had set himself up to be in a stranger’s presence, a woman’s presence, for nearly a day with no intermissions. As reclusive as he tended to be, he did not like the idea of an awkward silence between the two of them. “I was born in Nyka. My parents were regular people able to provide for a comfortable means of living. One day they decided it was best to move to a different city. For whatever reason, they decided against taking a ship and joined a travelling caravan bound for Syliras via overland.”

The memories came to him. First, it was the smell of smoke before even the gray veiled images came to mind. The sight of so many strangers he had gotten to speak to, laying in the grass to never stand again. “But the caravan was raided. My father died, and my mother…” Kynier shook his head, “I never found out her fate.” Biting down on his lower lip, Kynier tried to banish the memories to the back of his mind where he preferred them. “I wandered the wilderness for a few days,” he turned to looked at Kailani, “no storms thankfully,” he said with a jesting smile. “Then I was found by an old Eypharian. He took me in and educated me.”

“As for why I came to Sunberth… well… to put it simply, I wanted to do something to damage the slave trade. It was slavers that raided that caravan. And Sunberth has a large market for slaves. Seemed to me that doing something to make a change here would be the most effective change that I could possibly do. But then,” he shrugged his shoulders, “you get distracted by the effort to not get knifed in the back every day. To manage to afford shelter and a meal. And to try and avoid the attention of the groups that don’t sound very ideal.” Yet here he was, sticking his nose into their affairs. Potentially.

“It’s not as thrilling of a tale as yours. Which did not seem that sappy.” His attention was more on the open waters around the island. There were no ships to be seen. After a few chimes he sat down against the base of the mast and removed his back to set it between his legs. Usually he would’ve enjoyed trying to draw something. Perhaps Syna laying on the water’s horizon, or Kailani managing the helm. But the Fall had been extremely damp and would’ve ruined the parchment before an image could begin to form. So, from the magic pack he withdrew the three pieces of his oboe and fastened them together.

“I once heard that sailors would pass the time at sea with music,” he said as he attached the last of the three sections. Kynier licked his lips and wet the reed. Then he set his lips to the reed and blew. A long breath was applied as Kynier worked the keys to go through each note from lowest to highest as a warm up. He found that playing the instrument was helpful for multiple reasons. First, it helped him to relax and think of something else. Second, he could feel it conditioning his lungs to hold more air and have better breath control. As the last note came to an end he took a deeper than average breath for his empty lungs. “Do you either sing or make music when sailing?” he asked Kailani.

Boxcode credit goes to Gossamer!
Kynier
Player

Words: 1156083
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2018, 3:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2018 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Fare Sailing (Kailani)

Postby Kailani on October 29th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Kailani followed Kynier’s gaze over the seemingly calm waters, reaching out with her other sense for signs of life. She couldn’t sense other humans, no, but sea life reacted differently when people were around. That was what she sought—disruption in the creatures of the bay that might entail the approach of other ships. Luckily, she found nothing, breathing out a sigh of relief before turning her attention back to Kynier. It seemed they were safe enough for the time being.

The Svefra perched herself on a small cutout bench toward the starboard side of the ship as her companion wove his tale, listening with a sympathetic ear. “I lost my mother, too,” she commented as he detailed his separation from his family, but interrupted no further. It was a sad story, if brief, and she could not begrudge his desire to fight the slavers. Revenge and justice often went hand-in-hand, and his reasoning for coming to Sunberth seemed to her like a mix of both.

“It’s not exactly the most hospitable city, that’s for certain,” she agreed, idly rubbing at the fading bruises around her ribs. “I got into a fight my second day here. And if that’s not an accurate description of Sunberth, I don’t know what is.” Kailani chuckled as she shook her head. “Granted, I sort of started the fight, but it wasn’t without reason.” Her face softened as she went on, “And while you might not think your tale is thrilling, it’s a noble one. Nobility seems to be a trait sorely lacking in this place. I really hope you can accomplish what you came to do.”

When Kynier started to put his oboe together, Kailani looked on with interest. A musician? That was the last thing she’d expected when he stepped foot on her ship, but it delighted her, nonetheless. It would seem this man had unexpected depths, a fact which pleased her. More and more, she was glad she taken on this fare.

A smile spread over her face as he started to play, hands clapping together when he finished, even if it was just a warm up scale. She thought about warning him of the way sound travelled over water, but their location was a strategic one. With the way the land was situated and where they had positioned the ship, they would see any incoming threats long before they could be heard. So she held her tongue.

“I can’t carry a tune to save my life,” Kailani replied with a laugh, shaking her head. “And I never really seemed to have a knack for any instrument, despite trying a few. Music was always in abundance amongst my podmates, aye, but my talent lay elsewhere.” Her smile warmed as she continued, “I might not play, but I love to dance. Give me anything with a good rhythm, and I’ll dance until the sun comes up.”

She laughed again. “I’m not sure how much you know about the Svefra, but we’re a lively bunch. We use any excuse we can for a party. As much as I love the sea, life on its waters can get dull. When you’re spending months at a time out on the open ocean, you can go weeks without seeing land. The same sight, day after day, can drive you mad if you let it. Sometimes, you have to make your own fun.” She winked. “So, we partied. And I danced. But I haven’t had much occasion to dance since I came here.”

Kailani indicated the instrument in his hands before glancing back up at his face. The look she gave him was almost wistful. “So, how long have you played? Do you play anything else?”

WC: 618

Last edited by Kailani on November 2nd, 2018, 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Words: 176158
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2018, 5:16 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Fare Sailing (Kailani)

Postby Kynier on November 1st, 2018, 8:17 pm

How had it come to be? Kailani was like the rest of the very few people Kynier shared his reasons for being in Sunberth with. Sympathetic with a trace of encouragement. Apart from those that stood in Slaver’s Row, Kynier had never met one person that showed appreciation for Slavery. If it was so common for people to condemn it, then how had it come to be? Kynier gave the ship’s captain a small smile of appreciation. For some reason, hearing that it was a noble cause made him feel a bit foolish. He was under no delusions that he himself was a noble person. All he had managed was to gather a fraction of the intelligence he felt was needed to begin his efforts, and that alone had soaked his hands with blood.

Indeed, it wasn’t a hospitable place to live. Everyone wants something from someone else. Possessions, money, sex, or power. It was not surprising to hear that a woman as striking as Kailani had experienced an altercation so soon. Kynier did chuckle softly when she admitted it was her that had started it. How her hand had gone to her ribs did not go unnoticed. “You do not seem the worse for wear, so I would assume the fight finished in your favor. I can say without a doubt, that knowing how to fight is more important in Sunberth than anywhere else that I have been. It’s a scary cycle though. The longer you survive here, the better of a fighter you become. And many have lived in Sunberth their whole lives.” He shook his head disbelievingly. “I’m sorry about your mother,” he said sympathetically. While he was curious, he did not inquire about it. They had plenty of time and if Kailani felt like sharing, she would.

When she clapped at the end of his warm up, he laughed once in an embarrassed fashion. Kailani’s wink was perplexing. Kynier had only just met her and did not know what unsaid thoughts could form in her mind that she chose to iterate through a wink. It seemed as though it could be sensual, but immediately he discarded the thought based on her miniature outburst from earlier. Still, it was the second time she had winked at him that day. And he had no idea how to interpret it.

She liked to dance, did she? The last time he had gone dancing was shortly after receiving a stab wound that had threatened his life. Dancing had not been his intention that night, but Kynier found himself in the Bolt Hole and the music brought something unfamiliar out of him. It was enjoyable, even if it aggravated the wound that he had at the time. “There is a place called the Bolt Hole. Well, not so much a place as a group. They find abandoned locations to play in and keep changing where they play every so often. I’ve been there once and just lost myself to the dancing. That seems like a place that you would really enjoy.”

The top half of the oboe rested against his shoulder. “I’ve been playing for… eleven days. For a few years this was left untouched in the corner. Then, I just had the… urge… to try it.” Kynier repositioned his hands and was about to set his lips to the reed again when he paused. “My mother used to play this instrument. Not this exact one. But…” His words and thoughts trailed off and after a few ticks he set the reed between his folded lips. Only a few days ago, Little Rhaus had taught him a simple tune that he could play. One with slow key changes. The tune comprised of notes in the midrange, though a few of the notes squeaked as Kynier applied too much breath. It was not as smooth sounding as the warm up and after a chime he took a break.

“If I were any better, I’d play you a song that you could dance to. My teacher is really good, but only so many miracles can be spent on one person.” Kynier looked out over the water as he chuckled softly at his own jest. He could not see any boats through the soft mist of rain, so he resettled himself against the mast. “And no, I do not play any other instruments. Although, I have taken a recent liking to drawing. I would have brought my artisan’s kit but,” he held a hand out in the gentle rain and looked to the sky, “this weather does not appear to have the intention of moving on by the time we’re done.”

Kynier’s gaze fell upon the Svefra again with a thoughtful expression. She knew what he was trying to do, but he did not know what it was that she wanted out of life. Kailani liked to dance and was born to command a ship. She also would not provide herself for services as he learned. “So, Kailani, we’ve shared a bit of our pasts, and I’ve mentioned what it is I’m trying to accomplish. Which makes me wonder, what is it that you want? What do you pursue in this life?”

NaNo Post: 868 Words

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Fare Sailing (Kailani)

Postby Kailani on November 2nd, 2018, 5:41 am

“It ended in my favor, all right,” Kailani replied with a laugh, remembering fondly the sight of the drunken lecher balled over with his hands cupped around his family jewels. “Though I have a feeling if I ever see that man again, it will be the last thing I ever see.” A shadow passed over her face as she remembered the events that followed. Her reunion with Azcan, the subsequent fight the next morning…everything about her entrance into the city had been coated in violence, whether physical or emotional. Was this to be her life now? If Kynier was to be believed, it would seem that way. It was a good thing the Svefra was no stranger to bloodshed. Better violent than boring, she thought.

“I’m sorry about her, too,” was Kailani’s quiet response to Kynier’s condolences. Beyond that, she said no more, at least for the time being. The wound was still too raw, too fresh. She had no wish to go picking at it and ruin her relatively good mood. There would be time enough for that later.

Instead, she listened with interest as he described the Bolt Hole. Indeed, it did sound very much like a place that would interest her, and she made a mental note to search out its next location. If she had known of Azcan’s employment with the group, her reaction would have been a different one entirely, but their tempestuous reunion had not been so enlightening. “The Bolt Hole, eh?” she repeated with a hint of a smile. “I’ll have to keep it in mind. Gods know I could use the respite.” She shook her head. “I had no idea Sunberth even had such a thing. Would be far more enjoyable than the ‘entertainment’ of The Drunken Fish, I’d wager.” In all fairness, her experience at the tavern probably wasn’t the standard, but it left her soured on the establishment, nonetheless. It wasn’t a place she was likely to return to any time soon.

When Kynier set his oboe to his lips once more, the smile that played along the edges of her lips widened. The tune he played was a simple one, and though he clearly had little mastery over the instrument, Kailani still enjoyed it. Music was one of the most powerful forces on the planet—in one breath, it could bring a person to their feet and in the next, bring them to their knees. Such forces never failed to move her, even with a novice’s skill. “I’m sure you’ll have us all dancing in no time, Kynier,” she said with a sparkle in her eye and a laugh on her tongue.

Her laughter turned to interest as he spoke of his drawings, grimacing as he referenced the weather. “Aye, it seems this rain will never end,” the Svefra muttered with a glare toward the dreary gray clouds. “I thought I saw the sun for a moment this morning, but I fear it was nothing more than a pipe dream.” Kailani punctuated her statement with a melodramatic sigh. She snorted as she turned back to him, a sweet smile returning to her face. “I would love to see some of your drawings on a day that the sky won’t ruin them.”

As he turned the topic back to her, she looked at him with a thoughtful tug of her lip. “What do I want out of life, Kynier? Well, that’s a loaded question, now isn’t it?” A smile flitted over her features, her expression wistful as she gazed out over the water. “I think I just want what we all really want, deep down. To be happy.” Her wistful look turned a bit sad as she looked back at him. “I’d like to find my pod again. I thought they would have come looking for me by now, but maybe they think I left on purpose…” Which she had, but getting knocked off course toward Sunberth had not been part of her plan. She’d only wanted a couple days on her own, not this!

Of course, he would be aware of none of that; Kailani hadn’t told him of how she’d come to the city in the first place. It wasn’t exactly a tale she recounted with any sort of fondness. She shrugged and continued, “But other than that? To be completely honest, I don’t really know. Do I continue on as the Svefra always have, sailing and raiding until the day I die? Or do I forge my own path, however lonely it may be?” She sighed. “I didn’t intend to come here, but ever since I arrived, I can’t help but think I pulled into port in Sunberth for a reason. Maybe that’s what I’m here to figure out.”

For someone who often came off so carefree, the woman held surprising depths. While Kailani certainly had her petty and selfish moments, she could be surprisingly introspective. Being alone in a strange city had given her plenty of time to think and truly question her motives. Like she’d said to Kynier, did she truly want to continue on the same path she’d always trod? Or was she meant for something more?

The Svefra’s musings were interrupted as an abrupt feeling of unease came over her. The misty fog suddenly felt claustrophobic, almost suffocating. Could Kynier feel it too, or was she just being paranoid? Kailani’s arm started to glow as she reached out with her “ocean sense,” searching for whatever had tugged at her senses in the first place. If it was close by, she would at least feel something, even if she couldn’t tell what.

There it was…a large school of fish moving rapidly in their direction, as if fleeing a predator. Straining, she probed further out for any signs of bigger, more dangerous ocean life heading their way. Sensing nothing, she could only assume it was human in nature. Another ship, she’d stake her life on it.

“Something’s coming,” she muttered as she moved toward the helm, blue eyes narrowed as they sought the hazy horizon. She’d known it was only a matter of time before other ships came toward the lighthouse; she could only hope they weren’t noticed. Kailani gestured for Kynier to join her, pointing toward a distant shape slowly coming into view. “Looks like we’ve got company.”

NaNo/Job WC: 1054

Kailani
Daughter of the Sea

Words: 176158
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2018, 5:16 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Fare Sailing (Kailani)

Postby Kynier on November 2nd, 2018, 5:03 pm

Kailani’s body language expressed just as much as her tone had. Loss had a way of weighing down on a person’s body and Kynier could see that with her. It was in the slight slump of the Svefra’s shoulders, the small aversion her gaze took to stare at nothing, and the slight dipping of her head. Whatever happened with her mother had occurred recently, or at least not enough time had passed for the ache to fade. Kailani said no more about it and Kynier understood why all too well. So, he kept his curiosity in place so that the topic could pass.

When the subject of discussion changed, the woman’s liveliness reemerged. Kynier only gave a “Hmph,” of agreement about the “entertainment” at the Drunken Fish. He understood that she was most likely referring to her altercation. The story was self-explanatory; pretty woman in a tavern of drunken sailors. Kynier doubted that Kailani was actually aware of the uglier side of the tavern. That the barmaids were all slaves working for Manowar. That several of them were put to work to satisfy the sexual appetites of the sailors in the “private rooms”. Kynier’s thoughts waivered to dwell on Dovey. The petite barmaid who agreed to listen for any rumors of gossip of interest for him. It had been a while since he was last at the Drunken Fish. Kynier made a mental note that he should stop by soon. Not for the information, although he would gladly pass her some silver if Dovey had any, but to simply check on the barmaid.

“Others have assured me, that my drawing is much better than my ability to play an instrument. The critique of a person that I do not share a residence with would be appreciated.” Then the conversation turned somber. It probably was a loaded question, but the obvious answer that she gave was not what he had been wanting to hear. Of course, everyone wanted to be happy. But what made a person truly happy was unique to the individual. But Kailani wanted to find something… a pod? Kynier was not familiar with the term for he knew very little of the Svefra lifestyle. The only Svefra he knew was a woman he never wanted to see again.

The answer eluded her it seems. Kailani was lost and nearly carefree, and yet, she appeared to want or need a purpose or drive. She just had not found it yet. Kynier wet the reed again and took a deep breath. The melody he attempted was formed by the shadow of a memory. A low-pitched rhythm his mother would play during somber times. He remembered always being comforted by the tune and wished to provide that to Kailani. Though his effort may very well have the opposite effect. Kynier had no innate talent for the instrument and had not mastered the keys. Shrilling notes like a high C instead of a low F interrupted by mistake. After a chime of torturing the instrument, Kynier took it from his lips and began to disassemble it. That was probably more than enough of that. “Have you ever considered that Laviku brought you to Sunberth for a reason? It does not sound as though the god of the sea is not interested in having you continue in the usual life of a Svefra. Otherwise, He would have led you back to the pod.”

Kynier set the pieces of the oboe in his magical pack and turned his gaze on Kailani. His eyes were slightly narrowed in thought. “From my experience, when the divine led you somewhere, they provide what strength they can in different forms. If companionship is a strength that you need in your life, then Laviku will guide you to someone. If he’s caring.” Kynier knew of the sea god but did not pay him homage. His deity of choice was the goddess of night, secrets, and shadows. Her mark rested on the flesh between his shoulder blades. When his will and hope had been reaching a breaking point, Akajia guided him to a Nightstalker that changed his life for the better. Kynier wanted to share this with Kailani, but it was a secret of his. And Nightstalkers don’t share secrets lightly.

Kynier thought for a moment about inviting the Svefra to the Midnight Gem, if only for a meal or an afternoon of company. For the better part of a season it was where he lived and was his home. But from his perspective it was not his home. Doubt swarmed around the thought of bringing Kailani back to the Gem. What would his mate think? She… would probably smile and be welcoming. Kelski had a lot more heart than he did. And he would not just appear with Kailani in tow. Kynier would tell her first. “There’s a place in Baroque Bay called the Midnight Gem. That’s where I live. If you have the interest, you would be welcome to come and share a meal sometime.”

Then her expression changed suddenly, abandoning the casualness of conversation for a stern look. Kynier stood up shortly after she did and looked around to see what it was that could be coming in their direction. When Kailani beckoned, Kynier joined her at the helm. Whatever it was the Svefra was referring to, he had not been able to see it. Not until he pointed it out. Kynier narrowed his eyes attempting to pierce through the misty haze of the rain. There was a shape of a ship that was vague. It was difficult to see if it was even coming in their direction.

For a moment he stood silently and watched the silhouette. Would they stay, or would they move? It was the first vessel they saw for the day and it was more difficult to make out any distinctions about the ship than he had anticipated. Kynier’s heart was beating harder, for the situation was thrilling and unnerving at the same time. After a moment’s internal debate, he made his decision. “Let’s get a closer look.”

NaNo Post: 1,015

Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Fare Sailing (Kailani)

Postby Kynier on December 13th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Grades!

Kynier
Skill Rewards
  • Acrobatics +1
  • Endurance +1
  • Leadership +1
  • Musical Instrument: Oboe +3
  • Philosophy +1
  • Socialization +5

Lores Learned
  • Endurance: Breathing patterns to delay seasickness
  • Kailani: A Svefra
  • Kailani: Owns The Sunset Tide casinor
  • Kailani: Marked by Laviku
  • Kailani: Tale of The Sunset Tide’s namesake
  • Kailani: Has survived through terrible storms on her casinor
  • Kailani: Storms have accompanied every major event in her life
  • Kailani: Got into a fight on her second day in Sunberth
  • Kailani: Loves to dance
  • Kailani: Wants to find her pod again
  • Oceanus: Gives the marked intuitive knowledge of their location at sea
  • Sailing: Navigating with compasses or Syna’s location in the sky

Kailani
Skill Rewards
  • Interrogation +1
  • Intimidation +1
  • Observation +5
  • Persuasion +1
  • Philosophy +1
  • Sailing +2
  • Socialization +5
  • Storytelling +1
  • Tactics +1
  • Teaching +1
  • Unarmed Combat +1

Lores Learned
  • Kynier: Not familiar with boats
  • Kynier: Is spying on the Daggerhand
  • Kynier: Not a Sunberth Native
  • Kynier: Was born in Nyka
  • Kynier: Seeks to damage the slave trade in Sunberth
  • Kynier: Plays the Oboe, though not well
  • Kynier: Has taken a recent liking to drawing
  • Oceanus: Signs that another ship is nearby
  • Sailing: How to navigate at sea without Oceanus
  • Sailing: Keeping a casinor stationary without using the anchor

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to PM me.
Kynier
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Previous