Reading the Night

Dev'Ania goes into town to read people's fortunes

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Reading the Night

Postby Neologism on January 22nd, 2019, 4:54 am

The Chrone had asked Dev’Ania to come to her shack as the first shift of night settled on the city. When the Konti entered the shack, she would find awareness of no soul, finding the place to be filled with the same eery and ambiguous aura that never quite seemed to leave it. Only once the Konti was well within the heart of the home did she sense the Chrone’s presence. The elderly woman with the tanned androgynous face was watching her from the doorway.

”Hello, my dear.” The slow walk of the elderly accompanied the Alheas Chrone as she stepped into the room, walking right up towards the Konti and looking up to her. The strong black eyes of the old androgynous woman echoed with worlds far beyond what Dev’Ania could see, and yet they focused intently on Dev’Ania, studying her for a tick before the thin wrinkled lips spoke once again. ”Today, I have nothing to teach you.” She said simply. The Lhavitian legacy was wild and mysterious, even to those she found curious enough to associate with such as Dev’Ania. To all of Lhavit she was a myth, a legend, a mere tale. To some she was the tunes that mothers whispered to their children, offering the hope of whimsical worlds and powers that the child may some day meet. To others, her name was a curse, uttering a fate dire enough to fear. Even as Dev'Ania learned that the Chrone was a mere woman, she remained in an eerie shroud of mystery, the veil of knowledge and time keeping her secrets for her. Although the Chrone seemed to be all-knowing, her plans rarely made sense to those not thinking inside her head. The Chrone was aware of this perception, but she did not care enough to fix it.

The old woman took one last stride towards Dev’Ania, gently picking her hand from her side, and running a light finger over the scales. She flipped the palm forward, and then ran the same tanned bone finger over the lines in the center. The elder fortune teller seemed mildly entranced, reading something that Dev'Ania was not aware of, nor did she share the information she gleaned with the child. As if the minute changes in the skin on her palms were feeding the Chrone more information than she had read from the Konti last time her iridescent palm was subject to her powers. ”You remember this yes?” When the question finally came, it was more rhetorical as she pulled the Konti into a slight twirl, facing her back towards the door she had entered only moments before. The Chrone did not elaborate further on what she intended. When the pair reached the threshold of the entrance to the Lonely Shack, the legacy finally dropped the young fortune teller’s hand. She stepped so that Dev’Ania was forced to step outside the shack, or let the old woman bump into her, leaving her whimsical and mysterious mentor hovering inside her familiar dwelling.

”Go out, meet people. Read the stories that their bodies and reactions tell you, not their words. You will understand the future you read through their palms, when you can hear what their reactions tell you. Not all are believers, and that is okay, but those who are skeptical can be... persuaded...” The Chrone’s frail elderly voice faded, and her eyes shifted up to look at the Konti, a mischievous glint in the eye. She was intending for the young fortune teller to pick up on her intentions. The Chrone wanted to see this Konti challenged, but did not want to dictate exactly what Dev'Ania could do. She was hoping the young woman would surprise her, to see if she was worth the Chrone's lessons.

”Put your skills to use, child. Then come back to me.” She finally spoke, blinking and refocusing her eyes back on the Konti. If Dev’Ania hesitated, the Chrone raised a hand in a shooing motion. ”What are you waiting for? Go child!” And then, with no more warning, the Chrone disappeared into the bowels of the house, the door slowly and gently creaking shut in front of Dev’ania. The idea that she would be watching Dev'Ania's work hung in the air, but any further action done by the Konti, would be done alone.

Note :
No more moderation is needed, be free!
Ivory Heart Zintila The Constellations The Shinya
Council of Radiance (WIP) Star Gazing Gazette
Neologism
AS of Lhavit, DS of Zeltiva

Words: 621787
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2014, 1:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Reading the Night

Postby Dev'Ania on February 6th, 2019, 1:08 am

65th of Winter 518 AV

After returning to the Lonely Shack, Dev'Ania soon found herself being sent back out. She had returned, expecting to spend time learning more to the skills of fortune-telling, but Cala made it clear that there was no more for the Konti to be taught. It was now time for her to use her learned skills on her own.

Dev’Ania’s hand was swiftly picked up by the elderly woman. Her thin, wrinkled finger traced the lines on Dev’s palm. Dev was surprised and quite confused by the action, but let it be, knowing that there was no resisting the mysterious woman. She then remembered what that was Cala doing. The first thing the old woman had taught Dev’Ania - palm reading. The young blonde was prepared to answer the old Dhani’s question, but before she could, she was twirled around and pushed back out the door.

Go out and meet new people? The idea did not seem all too bad and actually excited the Konti. She was prepared to go out on her own and learn about the lives of others, and that is exactly what she planned to do. She was prepared to meet people who believed her and were open to the art of fortune-telling. But she was also prepared to meet the skeptics who would not believe her. For them, she might have to tell a couple lies to change their view.

As she made her way through the dense forest, leaving the shack, thoughts ran through her head like a wolf chasing running after prey. She would need a place to settle. Somewhere that is busy and would attract many people. The more people there were, the better chance she had of gaining followers and the more money she would earn. Of course, Dev wasn’t just doing this job for the money, but she was going to need a steady income. Exiting the forest and seeing the surrounding shops, she knew exactly where she would go - right in the middle of Surya Plaza. The plaza was one of the busiest places in Lhavit and was sure to get her a lot of attention.

Dev’Ania took a deep breath, feeling the cold, winter air enter through her red-tipped nose, and watching the cloud of air exit through her mouth. “Okay.” She spoke to herself in a determined, clear voice. She walked to the plaza scouting a location to set up. The plaza was somewhat empty, except for the few who stayed out. It was dusk resting time, so everyone was back home to rest. Dev could have gone home also, but she decided she could use this time to go over techniques that she would use. She wanted to make sure she was ready for anything thrown at her. After venturing around the plaza for a couple chimes, she finally chose a spot in the center of the plaza, in front of a bench. She removed her cloak and folded it neatly before using it as a cushion as she sat on the ground. She crossed her legs comfortably and took out the tarot cards Cala had given her and flipping through them, refreshing her mind.

WC: 527

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Words: 137250
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2018, 11:41 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Reading the Night

Postby Dev'Ania on February 22nd, 2019, 11:24 pm

As she expected, she could only remember the actual meaning of some of the cards. Which meant, for the rest, she would have to use her imagination. It would not be too hard to do so, considering each card had an elaborate depiction on it. She had a creative mind, so she could easily make up a meaning for a card she did not recognize. Making up a meaning might be more fun, anyway.

Sitting on the floor, her legs were beginning to ache. If her legs were aching, then a customer’s legs would ache. Surely, she would lose customers that way, so she was going to need to get something for them to sit on soon. Tonight, the hard, cold ground. would just have to do. She adjusted her body a couple of times to find the most comfortable position.

Dusk resting time had just ended and soon the streets would be once again filled with the people of Lhavit. The surrounding shops could be seen preparing for the arrival of customers, so Dev began to prepare also. She was ready to get to work.

The Surya Plaza was once again filled with people. The people could be seen walking into shops and watching performers that surrounded the plaza, but no one was coming over to Dev’Ania. Maybe they didn’t realize she was there? She had to find a way to attract customers over to her. She stood up where she was and began to yell, “Come get your fortune told! Fortune readings told by...Dev’Ania!” Dev’Ania paused in the middle of her sentence, realizing she had not come up with anything to call herself. Cala didn’t let strangers know her name, but Dev didn’t want to be as mysterious as her. Dev’Ania decided to let people know her real name.

A couple of people turned to see Dev’Ania after she began calling out, but they then turned back around to continue doing what they had already been doing. Her plan seemed to be working, but she would need to keep doing it to gain the attention of more people. She called out again to get people to come over. This time, a young woman walked over to her.

“Hello, what about a reading tonight?” Dev’Ania asked the young woman. The woman was dressed relatively commonly as everyone else who lived in Lhavit. A smile was on her face as she approached Dev.

“That sounds fun. How much does one cost?”

Of course, another thing Dev had not thought of ahead of time. She was so excited and nervous to go out and give readings to people that she had forgotten about the basic things like a name for her business or the prices of her readings. Now that she had to think about them, she wanted the prices to be low so that people would be more willing to have their fortune told.

She thought for a tick before replying to the woman, “Well, you can get a palm reading for just one kina or a card reading for 3 kina. An excellent deal, I would say.”

“Okay,” the woman agreed as she handed over 3 kina from her purse, “I would like a card reading, please.”

WC: 541

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Reading the Night

Postby Dev'Ania on February 23rd, 2019, 5:46 am

Dev’Ania reached her hand out and received the kina from the woman and put them in her backpack. She sat down and gestured for the other woman to do the same, across from her. When they were both sat comfortably, Dev picked u her cards and began to shuffle them in her hand. “What would you like to know today? I can do a reading of your past, present, and future or readings on your love life, career, or anything of the matter.”

“I would like to learn about my career, please.”

“Okay, sounds wonderful.” The cards were all shuffled and Dev placed them in one deck between the two of them. She spread the cards out in one line, the cards face down. “Pick out seven cards, randomly, and line up them face-up in front of you.”

Dev’Ania watched as the woman followed her instructions. She chose seven cards and placed them in a line and looked to Dev for further instructions. “Perfect. Now, each of these cards will reflect the progression of your career.” The woman smiled with a nod of her head. Dev pointed to the first card. “The Ten of Wands. The way the man is depicted with the pile of wands on his back shows that your career has been very tiring and somewhat of a burden. It hasn’t allowed you to have any time to yourself.”

“That is completely right! I am always helping patients at the Catholicon. I love to help people, but sometimes I just want time to myself.”

“That brings me to the next card, the Eight of Cups. No matter how much you want to, don’t give up on your job. You must remember why you are doing it and how much you are helping the people of Lhavit.” She took the woman’s hand into her own, feeling how cold they were. This was the part of fortune-telling she always looked forward to - being able to help someone. Right now she was helping this woman continue to love her job as a healer.

The two women continued the reading, reaching the last two cards. “Now, these cards are more for the future of your career and where you will be in it. The next cards show that you will learn how to balance work and personal time. Along the way, you will make many breakthroughs and become very successful.”

The woman began to tear up. “I really hope you are right about this. I love my job but lately, I haven’t enjoyed it much. But if what you say is true, I will continue doing what I am doing.”

Dev was happy that the woman believed in her, but she made sure to remind her that the future could always change with the slightest action. The reading was over and the woman had left, giving a warming hug to Dev before going.

Once again, Dev'Ania began to call out to attract more customers. When no one approached her, she decides to try approaching them. She had to admit that what she was doing was quite annoying, but it was worth a try to get the job done.

WC: 527

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Reading the Night

Postby Dev'Ania on February 24th, 2019, 1:10 am

One person Dev’Ania approached was an older man. He had short, scraggly grey hair that covered his face. He walked swiftly and with a slight limp. A grumpy look rested on his wrinkled face. “Hello, sir. How about a nice fortune telling on this wonderful night?” Dev’Ania walked alongside the man. He continued to walk, going a little faster now, and grunted at the question.

“Fortune telling is not real!” He replied with a harsh tone. “Now leave me alone.”

Dev was ready to leave the man but she remembered what Cala had said. She was now determined to change this man’s mind. She lightly grabbed the sleeve of his ragged shirt, stopping him in his path. “What do you want, woman?”

“Just sit for one reading. If I am wrong, you don’t have to pay me. How does that sound?”

“Ugh, fine. Don’t waste my time.” The old man was very unpleasant but once Dev was determined, she would not give up. She walked the man back over to where she set up.

“I believe a nice palm reading would do for you tonight. And it is only one kina.” The two sat down. Dev’Ania took the old man’s right hand into her hand. His hand was well-wrinkled from age and had many calluses. She examined the old man’s hand, turning it over and feeling the rough skin of his palm. It was obvious the man worked a lot with his hands. “The shape of your hand represents the element of fire. You are driven by your desires and are very ambitious. Though, you are also very selfish and mean when you want to be.”

The old man grunted as if he was annoyed, but Dev knew that he knew she was right. She grinned and continued with the reading. She traced the lines on the old man’s hand. “This is your life line. I see that you have lived a long life and you continue to live a longer life. During the rest of your time, you should do what you love most. Maybe try to be a little more friendly, too, and you might find that life is more enjoyable.”

Much to Dev’s surprise, the man was starting come to around and actually began listening to her. It was evident that he had not been enjoying his life. Dev felt like it was her job to cheer him up and show him the true meaning of what it meant to live. Maybe he just needed someone to help him.

“I see that you have had many hardships in your life which is why you are angry and mean. Maybe you have lost someone you held dear to your heart. But, you still have a friendly spirit deep inside you.”

“You are right. I have lost my dear wife. I am angry that she could not be cured of her illness and I wish I could have helped her.” The old man sighed and looked to the ground. Dev felt bad for the man. She was right about him losing someone. She knew there had to be a reason for him to be so mean. There is always a reason for someone to be mean.

WC: 537

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Reading the Night

Postby Dev'Ania on February 24th, 2019, 2:40 am

Dev’Ania finished the reading with the old man. The old man was satisfied so he paid for it. He was so satisfied he also paid to have a card readingThe spoke more about his career and about the life he still had ahead of him. They even spoke some about Dev’Ania and her life.

The young Konti was proud of herself. She had just changed a skeptics mind about fortune telling and she helped him remember what it meant to live. This was the other part of her job that she enjoyed - making people believe in fortune telling. This was definitely the job Dev wanted to do for the rest of her life. It made her happy.

Dev’s eyes began to become heavy. She yawned releasing a puff of air, visible in the cold of winter. She was beginning to become sleepy, so she decided to end it for the night. It had been almost nine bells since she had last had any sleep.

She stood up and stretched her legs and yawning again. She picked up her cloak from the ground and shook it to get the dirt off it. She put it around her shoulders and put the hood on her head - protected from the cold air again. She put her deck of tarot cards into her backpack before hanging it on her shoulder and leaving the plaza. Before going home, she remembered she had to return to Cala. She wanted to tell her about her experience reading people in the city by herself.

She arrived at the Lonely Shack and was greeted by Cala. “Hello, Cala. I have had the best time telling the fortunes of people tonight.” A smile spread on the face of the old woman. The Crone and Dev’Ania entered the shack and sat down. They spoke about the people Dev’Ania gave readings for. She explained how she was determined to change the mind of the skeptic and reminded a woman why she did her job. Cala was proud of Dev’Ania, which made her very happy. At this moment, Dev’s proudness took over all of her exhaustion, allowing her to talk more.

Dev’Ania thanked the Crone for all she had taught her, but it was now her time to go out on her own. She was ready to start her own fortune-telling business. As Dev left the Alheas Park, she looked around at the city. She began to conjure the ideas of her own shop in the city and how she would not be as much of a mystery Cala is. In fact, she wanted to be known by everyone as a great fortune teller. She thought about where it would be located and what it would be called. The thought excited her.

Finally home, she undressed and flopped onto her bed. She got comfortable and put the covers over her. She had worked hard today. Now, she was going to get some rest before going out into the city again tomorrow. As soon as her eyes closed, she drifted off into a deep sleep.

WC: 511

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Reading the Night

Postby Madeira Dusk on March 8th, 2019, 12:42 am

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Dev'Ania

Skills
  • Planning: 3xp
  • Observation: 5xp
  • Logic: 3xp
  • Hawking: 4xp
  • Socialization: 3xp
  • Negotiation: 1xp
  • Acting: 1xp
  • Fortune Telling: 3xp
  • Persuasion: 1xp

Lores
  • Business: what location attracts more customers?
  • Surya Plaza: a place to be noticed
  • Business: uncomfortable customers are bad for business
  • Business: getting noticed by customers
  • Acting: selling the performance
  • Persuasion: stubborn insistence

Awards & Retribution

Notes
I really think Dev should earn XP for her standing on the street trying to get people to buy her services. But I wasn't completely sure what to call it, as there's nothing fitting on the skill list. I went with Hawking, which just means to sell something informally in a public place. If you have your own suggestions of what it should be, I'd be glad to hear them!
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)